Hop on Hop Off Bus

dotshub

Has anyone done the hop on/hop off bus in Rome? We used it in New York and San Francisco and loved it. I am not able to do a lot of walking so thought this might be an easy way to see some of the sights? Open for any suggestions. Thanks Dot

The HOHO bus is an economical option for those who have limited mobility, but with the ease of sitting and being driven around you must accept that you will likely experience a lot less than the average tourist on a day trip to Rome.

I think your best bet is to select a few things that you would like to visit, vs. drive by, and plan your day around those stops. One of the issues with the HOHO bus in Rome is the amount of time you spend waiting at the stops, so it's important to minimize the actual hopping off and hopping on part. A second issue is that because of the narrowness of the streets in the historical center, the bus doesn't actually drive past many of the sites; therefore, it's critical to know ahead of time what you absolutely must see, vs. the things you consider "nice to see".

Likewise, we have used Ho Ho buses in New York, Australia, and Washington. We purchased a 48 hour pass from viator.com. I had been to Rome before, so knew what I wanted to show my friend. I planned the route (from the map on the website) doing the Northern section the first day. And continuing on around to the Forum/Coliseum the second day. We had two full days. We would leave the hotel around 9:00 and return around 5:00 each night.

As Euro cruiser states, the stops are a distance from the sites, so there is still a fair amount of walking, but we managed to find a wall, a bench or a gelato shop to stop in and rest before continuing on, so we weren't totally wiped out by the end of the day.

The only place we really noticed a long wait time was the second day, we rode all the way around to Termini (Train Station) and waited a half hour there for the next load to board, then headed out for the Southern route. But we actually enjoyed the traffic, took photos of the cars parked sideways, the guys repairing the brick roads, and all the vespas (scooters), but then I'm a people watcher. We were there mid-October, so may be different if you go in Summer months. More crowds and a lot more heat!

You just have to plan on not being on a tight schedule. We did not have any timed tickets to anything, just walked at our own pace and enjoyed being in Rome!

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't say scenic, you are on busy city streets. Interesting for people watching or catching a glimpse of passing sites at a distance. Such as the Borghese Gates and gardens, the Colloseum, Forum etc.

And we did see workers repairing the cobblestone street, one brick at a time (very interesting). Interesting too are the Vespas racing in and out of traffic. We thoroughly enjoyed the Ho Ho, but we did get off and do some walking to Trevi, Spanish Steps, etc. Then again the next day at the Colloseum to Forum and Circus Maximus.

Are the routes on the HOHO scenic? We've been to Rome a couple of times and have seen many of the main attractions. It would be nice to sit back and ride the route to take in scenery.

If you've already seen some of the main sites and are looking for an easy way to see some more scenic things, you might consider the Archeobus. It is a small, specialized HOHO bus that takes you outside the city and along the old Appian Way to see some of the tombs, catacombs, and a beautifully scenic Aqueduct. The bus is small (about 15 passengers max) and has about a dozen stops along the way where you can get off or not, including several near the catacombs.

Here is some additional descriptive info: http://www.mmdtkw.org/VArcheobus.html

(I'm not sure how current the above link is, so if you are interested, I'd do some more research to make sure the ticket prices, pickup location, etc are still valid....)

Hello dotshub,

I know that you specifically asked about the HOHO bus, but because you mentioned mobility issues I wanted to give you a suggestion.

In August, we used a private tour company, Romeinlimo, while we were in Rome. We did the city highlights tour. You would be amazed at how much you can see in one day. Their sedans are small enough to go down the narrow streets that HOHO buses can not maneuver. Our driver was able to get us so close to the sites, let us out and give us a time and meeting place for him to pick us up.

We felt that the extra money was worth it because of the convenience. We saw more, walked less and had a wonderful driver who could tell us interesting information along the way to the next site.

My friend went on the HOHO bus and she said she had a hard time hearing the audio, it was hot and she had to walk quite a distance to actually reach the site. Then she had to wait for long periods until the next bus came along. All the "up and down" wore her out.

I have done the HOHO bus in NYC and Chicago, too.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your time in Rome. Four days was not enough for us, so we are going back in July!

We decided against the HOHO too. Instead we are using public transportation. I found this website very helpful: http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?lingua=ENG

Watch yourself and your belongings closely, using public transportation. We saw lots of gypsys at Termini and subway stops. Pickpockets are plentiful.

I felt they wouldn't pay the $$ for the HO HO as it costs more than the local transport, and we were not bothered by anyone.

Whereas others have posted on this board, that they were accosted on the trains and buses.

Be careful and have a great trip!

May I make a gentle PC remark here? The term "Gypsy" refers to an ethnic population, and not all of the pickpockets and thieves in Italy (or elsewhere in Europe, for that matter) are ethnic Gypsies. At the same time, not all Gypsies are pickpockts and thieves.

Well, you can call them what you want, but to me a gypsy is a nomadic person, I don't care what their ethnicity is. And while they may not all be pickpockets, beware of them just the same.

Well, you can call them what you want, but to me a gypsy is a nomadic person, I don't care what their ethnicity is. And while they may not all be pickpockets, beware of them just the same.

Yes, most English dictionaries do offer something along the lines of "nomadic people" as an alternative definition, but that doesn't make it any less of an ethnic slur.

If you've already seen some of the main sites and are looking for an easy way to see some more scenic things, you might consider the Archeobus. It is a small, specialized HOHO bus that takes you outside the city and along the old Appian Way to see some of the tombs, catacombs, and a beautifully scenic Aqueduct. The bus is small (about 15 passengers max) and has about a dozen stops along the way where you can get off or not, including several near the catacombs.

Here is some additional descriptive info: http://www.mmdtkw.org/VArcheobus.html

(I'm not sure how current the above link is, so if you are interested, I'd do some more research to make sure the ticket prices, pickup location, etc are still valid....)

Hi Cynthia,

First, let me thank you for all the information you provide here on CC !:)

I have a question about getting into Rome and picking up the Archeobus. My husband & I just returned from the Med. last week, and I had arranged our tours through Romeinlimo , which were great. Next September, we will be returning and I am looking for a DIY and the Archeobus is tempting ! My question, is how to find the train in Civitavecchia then get to the bus stop for Archeobus ?

Thank you again !:D

Terry

My question, is how to find the train in Civitavecchia then get to the bus stop for Archeobus?

There are dozens of threads and posts on how to find the train station in Civitavecchia - basically, you take the shuttle from your ship to the port entrance, then walk south about five blocks. There are signs, and you can simply follow all of the other cruisers who are doing the same thing, or you can use the search function on this board to find very specific instructions, including pictures.

Take the train all the way to Roma Termini, the last stop, and walk outside the front of the station, which is on Piazza Cinquecento. The Archeobus stop is in the Piazza.

Hi Cynthia,

First, let me thank you for all the information you provide here on CC !:)

I have a question about getting into Rome and picking up the Archeobus. My husband & I just returned from the Med. last week, and I had arranged our tours through Romeinlimo , which were great. Next September, we will be returning and I am looking for a DIY and the Archeobus is tempting ! My question, is how to find the train in Civitavecchia then get to the bus stop for Archeobus ?

Thank you again !:D

Terry

Thanks for the kind words. I'm clearly an enthusiastic traveler....;)

Eurocruiser is right about the train from Civitavecchia to Rome. Others have written in more detail than I could ever hope to about how to do this step by step. It really is quite easy, though.

As to the Archeobus, you can catch it either near Termini or at Piazza Venezia. I would find out for sure where the starting point is, because it does tend to fill up fast.

One point: I had forgotten this, but remembered after I posted the information above -- I do not believe the Archeobus goes all the way to the aqueduct park any longer. It was the last stop and was quite a bit farther than the other stops. This is unfortunate, because it was my favorite part of the ride and I took some really great pictures there. However, there is still a lot to be seen. If you plan to get off the bus and walk around, it's worth seeing the villa (Villa de Quintilii). It can't be seen very well from the bus, however.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm clearly an enthusiastic traveler....;)

Eurocruiser is right about the train from Civitavecchia to Rome. Others have written in more detail than I could ever hope to about how to do this step by step. It really is quite easy, though.

As to the Archeobus, you can catch it either near Termini or at Piazza Venezia. I would find out for sure where the starting point is, because it does tend to fill up fast.

One point: I had forgotten this, but remembered after I posted the information above -- I do not believe the Archeobus goes all the way to the aqueduct park any longer. It was the last stop and was quite a bit farther than the other stops. This is unfortunate, because it was my favorite part of the ride and I took some really great pictures there. However, there is still a lot to be seen. If you plan to get off the bus and walk around, it's worth seeing the villa (Villa de Quintilii). It can't be seen very well from the bus, however.

:):)Thanks Cynthia !!!

Terry

All this information is great-i have already checked on the romeinlimo. now about the Archeobus-Do they have a route that takes you to the main attractions-in Rome. Like the Vatican fountain etc. I looked at the web but could not figure it out-This Europe travel is really hard-i am use to the Carribbean and need all the help I can get. I am counting on your guys. Dot

You need to get yourself to Rome, which is about 40 miles from the cruise port. The most efficient way is to take the train (shuttle bus from your ship to the port entrance, walk five blocks south to the train station) to Termini; the start of the Archeobus line is in the piazza in front of Termini station.

There are multiple threads on this board with specific step-by-step instructions on how to get to the train station, purchase tickets, etc. (some with pictures), just use the search function and you'll find them.

Archived