LIVE from the FREEDOM of the SEAS, Sailing 5 Sep 2010

Trainman-2

Yesterday I was struck by a BFO* and changed my walking route from the bow to the stern.

I had been walking down the hallway from my cabin to the aft elevators.

Now I am going to the forward elevators and then down to the Royal Promenade on Deck 5. I can walk along the Promenade and sit down to rest in the chairs along the way. This also allows me to observe the cute young girls as they walk by.

When I get to the aft elevators I then proceed up or down as necessary.

*BFO - Blinding flash of the Obvious

I forgot to mention...

Nobody missed the ship yesterday but there were two last minute runners who just made it.

The Captain blew the horn at 4:30 but by then, there were just a few still walking back to the ship.

The crew had already pulled in the bow ramp and we were about ready to cast off when the last two showed up at the shore and were running at full speed along the pier.

The Captain was kind enough to wait a few extra moments for them and as soon as they ran up the ramp we were on our way.

Edited by Trainman-2

More on Smoking...

- Smoking is allowed outside on Deck 4, Starboard (right) side between the fore and aft elevators.

- I had morning coffee this morning with a gentleman from Scottland who told me that he has been smoking on the upper deck in the Crypt. I will check that out later today.

More on Smoking...

- Smoking is allowed outside on Deck 4, Starboard (right) side between the fore and aft elevators.

- I had morning coffee this morning with a gentleman from Scottland who told me that he has been smoking on the upper deck in the Crypt. I will check that out later today.

I am a smoker too (I know, I know):(. .. and I always try to find the smoking areas too. That way the smokers and non smokers will be happy. . . .

Enjoy the rest of your cruise ! I am really enjoying your "LIVE" posts :rolleyes:

Radio

;);)

I forgot to mention...

Nobody missed the ship yesterday but there were two last minute runners who just made it.

The Captain blew the horn at 4:30 but by then, there were just a few still walking back to the ship.

The crew had already pulled in the bow ramp and we were about ready to cast off when the last two showed up at the shore and were running at full speed along the pier.

The Captain was kind enough to wait a few extra moments for them and as soon as they ran up the ramp we were on our way.

Thanks for you posts trainman.

I always love to watch the runner trying to make it back to the ship. We were leaving Key West one time and had runners that didn't make it and just threw their arms up in the air.

Good morning Trainmain-2, I have finally caught up with this thread. What a beautiful tribute to your wife. I'm sure you probably don't remember, but I consider myself fortunate to have met you and Carole several years ago when the Mariner was still sailing out of Port Canaveral. You still lived in S.C. at the time, but I think had relatives in the area and stayed near here the night before the cruise.

I look forward to sharing these last few days with you....enjoy!

Everyday I look forward to reading more of your live review!! Keep it up Jim/Trainman-2!!

I have a question though, does the newer ships have wifi in the rooms or how are you doing these live reviews? By going to the internet cafe? Just curious as there seems to be quite a few "Live" reviews lately.

The sky is getting lighter outside and I got a few halfway decent photos.

DSCN0618-1.jpg

DSCN0620.jpg

DSCN0619.jpg

The Island I have been watching must not be Grand Cayman because we are sailing right by it...

Good Morning Jim,,,,I will miss your posts when you disembark the Freedom:(.. Look forward to them a couple of times a day...I love these photos of the sky and the Island in the background,,,can't wait till we cruise again on the Freedom in Jan.. Happy you are feeling better and meeting great people...God Bless you...:)

Hi there Jim.

I've just seen this thread and have sat in the office reading it from start to finish, (don't worry I own the company :) ). Like so many others before me the tears were welling up as I read your words. I think what has touched us all is the openness with which you post. No fancy words, no skirting round delicate issues, just good honest writing. As has been said before you are not alone on this cruise Jim, you have hundreds of people around the world dining with you in the windjammer, sitting at the bar with you or taking a nap in the cabin with you - good job you got a Junior suite or we wouldn't all fit ;).

It warmed my heart that Royal Caribbean honoured both Carol and yourself by making the arrangements for her burial at sea. All too often we come on here and have a pop at aspects of the cruise which have upset us. If ever there was an event which showed both company and crew are human and have hearts this is it for me.

I am delighted you have attained the status of roaming diner and I only wish we were aboard so that we could have the honour of your company for an evening. You're a good fella !

As for the tears, well that's all part of the grieving process. There are times when it hurts so much you wish you could forget the person but a good cry later and it's like all the pressure has been released. You go from tears to laughing about an aspect of the person's personality almost in the same breath. It does get easier, the tears become less frequent but the warm glow form your loved one's memory remains for ever.

I think you are probably in one of the best places right now. You speak to people and Carol is mentioned in conversation almost immediately. All too often people avoid grieving people or turn the conversation away from their departed loved one because they are embarrassed or worried they will upset you when really all you want to do is talk about them.

A cruise is about the people. The new friends, the conversations whether whilst at dinner or sneaking a quick afternoon smoke with the boys. That's exactly where you need to be right now, talking.

You have started what is possibly one of the most poignant threads ever to appear on Cruise Critic Jim. I know you didn't set out to, you just wanted to share your cruise with us, but it's a mark of you as a man that we all share your thoughts and feelings.

I will finish by echoing someone else's sentiment that as I read this I felt a strange draw between feeling emotional and yet rather hungry at the same time :)

I shall raise my glass to Carol and your good self in a quiet moment on my next cruise.

Keep smiling.

Henry :)

I think that today was my first really enjoyable day on this cruise.

I relaxed, finished one book and started two more.

I met some more CCers and made some new friends.

So pleased to read this Jim. You give those of us reading your posts such pleasure that I am thrilled you have started to enjoy it.

I find that I am always thanking you folks here on CC for your kind thoughts and prayers.

I have gotten lots of good wishes on the ship too.

But I have to do my best to honor Carol and move on with my own life.

Thank's Again to all of you! :)

The ship was "cleared" early and tenders started running at 7:50 am.

The Captain is holding the ship in position facing the morning sun. Probably trying to give the balconies on both sides of the ship some shade.

It is Hot & Humid out there. There is no breeze out there at all!

I started sweating just sitting on my balcony.

I am going to take a tender ashore later this morning to visit the Ice Cream Shop. I hope it is still there.

Maybe I can catch a taxi to Hell and Back for a photo.

Just love your early morning pictures of Grand Cayman, and especially the one of the biscuits and gravy, as I am also a fan of that breakfast, but it is rare to find on ships. They usually have them one day of the cruise in the buffet and I always miss that day.

I am so glad you are going to be the "roving diner". Such a good way to meet others.

I read your thread several times a day just to see if you have posted anything else. Maybe you should ask if they have a cheap back to back, so you could stay on for another 7 days, just to appease those of us who read your thread everyday. :)

To Henry, aka Able Seaman H...found on post #236:

You have summed up so much of what Jim is doing on this tribute cruise to Carol. Your words and thoughts are beautiful and heartfelt.

To Jim: for some, grieving is a personal and closed process. How blessed I feel that you decided to take all of us along on Carol's final cruise. Thank you for showing me that healing comes in many forms. Enjoy the rest of your cruise my friend, and I hope to one day meet you on a future cruise and give you a hug!

Just love your early morning pictures of Grand Cayman, and especially the one of the biscuits and gravy, as I am also a fan of that breakfast, but it is rare to find on ships. They usually have them one day of the cruise in the buffet and I always miss that day.

I am so glad you are going to be the "roving diner". Such a good way to meet others.

I read your thread several times a day just to see if you have posted anything else. Maybe you should ask if they have a cheap back to back, so you could stay on for another 7 days, just to appease those of us who read your thread everyday. :)

Love the idea of a back to back for you! All of us followers would appreciate that!

hi there jim.

I've just seen this thread and have sat in the office reading it from start to finish, (don't worry i own the company :) ). Like so many others before me the tears were welling up as i read your words. I think what has touched us all is the openness with which you post. No fancy words, no skirting round delicate issues, just good honest writing. As has been said before you are not alone on this cruise jim, you have hundreds of people around the world dining with you in the windjammer, sitting at the bar with you or taking a nap in the cabin with you - good job you got a junior suite or we wouldn't all fit ;).

It warmed my heart that royal caribbean honoured both carol and yourself by making the arrangements for her burial at sea. All too often we come on here and have a pop at aspects of the cruise which have upset us. If ever there was an event which showed both company and crew are human and have hearts this is it for me.

I am delighted you have attained the status of roaming diner and i only wish we were aboard so that we could have the honour of your company for an evening. You're a good fella !

As for the tears, well that's all part of the grieving process. There are times when it hurts so much you wish you could forget the person but a good cry later and it's like all the pressure has been released. You go from tears to laughing about an aspect of the person's personality almost in the same breath. It does get easier, the tears become less frequent but the warm glow form your loved one's memory remains for ever.

I think you are probably in one of the best places right now. You speak to people and carol is mentioned in conversation almost immediately. All too often people avoid grieving people or turn the conversation away from their departed loved one because they are embarrassed or worried they will upset you when really all you want to do is talk about them.

A cruise is about the people. The new friends, the conversations whether whilst at dinner or sneaking a quick afternoon smoke with the boys. That's exactly where you need to be right now, talking.

You have started what is possibly one of the most poignant threads ever to appear on cruise critic jim. I know you didn't set out to, you just wanted to share your cruise with us, but it's a mark of you as a man that we all share your thoughts and feelings.

I will finish by echoing someone else's sentiment that as i read this i felt a strange draw between feeling emotional and yet rather hungry at the same time :)

i shall raise my glass to carol and your good self in a quiet moment on my next cruise.

Keep smiling.

Henry :)

here here!

Edited by dbk64

jim, have you ever spent time in the evening inside the connoiseur club. cigar smokers are very friendly people who love conversation. i have met many amazing people while having a cigar before or after dinner. the room has awesome seating, bar, waiter and a good selection of cigars if you don't have any. just a thought.