LIVE from the FREEDOM of the SEAS, Sailing 5 Sep 2010

Trainman-2

Well, Jim, you may not have had someone sitting at your table with you last night but you had hundreds and hundreds of us carrying you in our hearts. I hope your cruise is as peaceful and reflective as you want it to be. God bless you.

Overall I would have to say that this cruise is not going well for me.

Everywhere I go, everything I do, I keep seeing things that remind me of Carol.

The worst part I think is the lack of "two-ness" and having someone with me to share things with.

Over the last few months I have read most of the posts in the Solo Cruising Section so I know that a lot of people have fun as solo cruisers. I have never been shy and I have no problems walking up to strangers and introducing myself but to sum it up, things are just not "right" without Carol.

But I shall press on...

I had a nice nap and relaxed a good bit this afternoon.

About 3 pm I made the trek to the stern elevators and up to the Windjammer for Warm Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce! Yummy!

DSCN0562-1.jpg

After the Bread Pudding I headed up to Deck 14 and hung out with the Smokers and drinkers for awhile.

Then back to the cabin for the sail-away from Labadee, a quick change into MDR Attire, and back to the stern elevators and up to deck 14 to the Diamond Lounge and more hanging out with the smokers & drinkers.

I took an elevator down to deck 3 for dinner in the MDR and I was alone again!

DSCN0566.jpg

Good News! The elderly gentleman who was taken to medical on the first night is "OK" His problem was low blood pressure and they have that straightened out for him.

I talked with the Head Waiter and he has assigned me to another table with two couples. I had met one of the couples and went over to introduce myself. They are going to Chops tomorrow and asked me to join them there but Chops said "no room" so I may be alone again tomorrow in the MDR or go to the Windjammer.

After the Bread Pudding I headed up to Deck 14 and hung out with the Smokers and drinkers for awhile.

Then back to the cabin for the sail-away from Labadee, a quick change into MDR Attire, and back to the stern elevators and up to deck 14 to the Diamond Lounge and more hanging out with the smokers & drinkers.

DSCN0566.jpg

Good News! The elderly gentleman who was taken to medical on the first night is "OK" His problem was low blood pressure and they have that straightened out for him.

I talked with the Head Waiter and he has assigned me to another table with two couples. I had met one of the couples and went over to introduce myself. They are going to Chops tomorrow and asked me to join them there but Chops said "no room" so I may be alone again tomorrow in the MDR or go to the Windjammer.

Maybe if you ask,there will be another table you can start sitting out tomorrow night..........hate to see you all alone there.............you have way too much to offer people..........

Maybe if you ask,there will be another table you can start sitting out tomorrow night..........hate to see you all alone there.............you have way too much to offer people..........

The funny thing is that sometimes I think people are looking at me and wondering why I am by myself.

Has that guy been Bad?

Is he in "Time Out?"

:D

Dinner in the MDR has always been a highlight for Carol and I.

Meeting new people and making new friends.

Stimulating conversations.

Learning new things.

Thats it...you go write a note right now and get it to the head waiter so you'll have new table mates tomorrow OR ELSE!:p(or else,i don't know what,but I'll think of something:D:D)

Overall I would have to say that this cruise is not going well for me.

Everywhere I go, everything I do, I keep seeing things that remind me of Carol.

The worst part I think is the lack of "two-ness" and having someone with me to share things with.

Over the last few months I have read most of the posts in the Solo Cruising Section so I know that a lot of people have fun as solo cruisers. I have never been shy and I have no problems walking up to strangers and introducing myself but to sum it up, things are just not "right" without Carol.

But I shall press on...

I had a nice nap and relaxed a good bit this afternoon.

About 3 pm I made the trek to the stern elevators and up to the Windjammer for Warm Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce! Yummy!

DSCN0562-1.jpg

Afternoon Tea, my favorite meal of the day. Great pic :)

Thats it...you go write a note right now and get it to the head waiter so you'll have new table mates tomorrow OR ELSE!:p(or else,i don't know what,but I'll think of something)

Or else the wrath of the followers of cruisecritic will fall upon them :eek:;)

MONDAY, Day 2, At Sea

Here is a view down my long, long hall way on deck 9.

DSCN0505.jpg

This is an amazing post - including all of those who have never met yourself or Carol in such a personal moment in your life but I do have to admit when I saw this first pic of the hallway I was afraid to scroll down thinking... please tell me he didn't take that scooter on the bottom right for a joyride up the hall !!! :D

Edited by Beth C

DSCN0566.jpg

Jim/Trainman 2, there is ALWAYS room for an extra diner at any table in Chops....if that's what you want to do with your "new" tablemates. Don't take "no" for an answer!! Trust me on this........but of course that is your choice.

Edited by alwayshappytocruise

People are not supposed to park their scooters in the hallways.

People are not supposed to wear jeans in the MDR.

The first thing I checked when I walked by it was to see if the keys were in it. Unfortunately they were not so I didn't borrow it.

However, it is in a convenient place and I have sat on it several times to take a break while walking down the hallway.

Trainman 2, there is ALWAYS room for an extra diner at Chops....if that's what you want to do with your "new" tablemates. Don't take "no" for an answer!! Trust me on this........

I have to agree. Check with the Manager of Chops again......I'm sure they will find a space for you.

You are a very special person Jim.....:)

It is a nice night but almost too hot for sitting out on the balcony.

The skys are clear and full of stars.

There are a lot of White Caps on the waves but the ship is moving with the wind and at about the same speed so there is no breeze out there at all.

The funny thing is that sometimes I think people are looking at me and wondering why I am by myself.

Has that guy been Bad?

Is he in "Time Out?"

:D

Your doing great Trainman/Jim! Am sure none of the people that you don't know yet are thinking that. There are always people that are part of groups off doing their own thing and in one since or another solo during a portion of their cruise.

Thank you so much for your review, I know I'm glad and am sure everyone else here on the board is glad to be a part of it.

Wish my group I'm sailing with in a month was on your cruise, know you'd have some amazing stories that we'd all love to hear and be a part of.

Jim, not to post a "downer" but....have you thought about getting a motorized scooter to enhance your travel experience? You can rent them or own them depending on your insurance and health needs. Getting tired walking down the deck/port must be exhausting in every sense of the word.

Dealing with what you are going through on this trip has taken a lot out of you........I know you will continue to cruise however, what's the point if you can't walk from one end of the ship/dock to the other?? Oasis and Allure are effin' huge.......just a thought.

Your friend, Lynda (da nurse)

PS Oasis wore me out!!!

Hi, thank you for sharing. I always wondered how they did ashes at sea and now I see that it is a beautiful way to be buried.

We were is Labadee in July. I said to my husband that they should have some kind of tram for the pier. I saw several people having problems walking it esp. in the hot sun. Once at the beach they do have a tram, so next time you go just make it to the entrance.

As some people suggested, an electric scooter would be helpful to get you around places both on the ships or at home. My husband was in the handicap accessable business for about 25 years. He helped to design some scooters. Then about 5 1/2 years ago he had viral encephelitis and then a year later prostate cancer. He had to stop working because of severe headaches and seizures. The headaches and seizures are better because of meds and botox treatments. We started cruising about 4 years and hope to continue.

On our cruise in July, we were on a table of ten. It was a nine night cruise. The first night we had 8 people, the second night 6 people and the remaining nights we had us and one other couple. The problem was the other couple would come an hour or more late so we were usually having desert. I guess they thought they had my time dining.

Wednesday, Day 4, Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Good morning everyone,

Not much "action" on the Royal Promenade at 5:00 am!

DSCN0573.jpg

I had a nice, informal therapy session this morning which helped me a lot. I have been running into the same guys, my age and older, at the Café Promenade every morning. It turns out that they are all Widowers, like me, and we exchanged stories and had a nice discussion.

None of them have remarried and I have thought often about what it will be like to start dating again at age 66. They went through the same process but decided to remain single and have hooked up with friends who like to travel so they are continuing to cruise but in pairs.