LIVE from the FREEDOM of the SEAS, Sailing 5 Sep 2010

Trainman-2

I have decided that I am going to stay on the ship today.

Maybe some more time in the Solarium Pool and reading and relaxing.

I am going to have breakfast in the MDR at 7:30 this morning and try their "Eggs Benedict" which I have heard good things about.

I am going to do dinner in the Windjammer tonight and see how that is.

I thought about ordering up a scooter for me on this cruise.

There is a company that rents them for $175 for a 7 night cruise. They are delivered to you cabin on the ship and are supposed to be waiting for you ready to go when you board. At the end of the cruise you leave it in your cabin.

I guess that I am not yet ready to "give up" and admit that I can't walk around like I used to.

I sent an email to my surgeon and he responded yesterday that he thinks some physical therapy will help me a lot so I am going to start that next week.

My next cruise is on the Allure in January and I have decided that if I cannot improve my walking skills by then I will rent a scooter for the cruise.

It is funny that last week I got a letter from "The Scooter Store" wanting to pre-qualify me for a Scooter from Medicare.

Wednesday, Day 4, Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Good morning everyone,

Not much "action" on the Royal Promenade at 5:00 am!

DSCN0573.jpg

I had a nice, informal therapy session this morning which helped me a lot. I have been running into the same guys, my age and older, at the Café Promenade every morning. It turns out that they are all Widowers, like me, and we exchanged stories and had a nice discussion.

None of them have remarried and I have thought often about what it will be like to start dating again at age 66. They went through the same process but decided to remain single and have hooked up with friends who like to travel so they are continuing to cruise but in pairs.

Good morning Trainman!

I think the scooter is an excellent idea for your next cruise if you are still struggling to get around. Am so glad that you found your group of new widower friends. I know when my Mother died I found myself 'gravitating' to people who had lost a parent. It is amazing how therapeutic it can be sharing stories and talking with those who have been through similar heartbreaking life events. It really does help.

Have a wonderful day staying on the ship relaxing and HANG IN THERE!

Edited by jeleja

I have decided that I am going to stay on the ship today.

Maybe some more time in the Solarium Pool and reading and relaxing.

I am going to have breakfast in the MDR at 7:30 this morning and try their "Eggs Benedict" which I have heard good things about.

I am going to do dinner in the Windjammer tonight and see how that is.

Good Morning Jim,

The Benedict's in the dining room are wonderful,,,my DH always has them when we eat our breakfast in the MDR.

I am happy to see you met some widowers,,,you may find some peace in talking with them and maybe you also will find some others to travel on other cruises with you...Your posts about Carol are very moving and very beautiful..I would also like to have my ashes scattered at sea and after reading your experience now I know that will be my wishes...We all here on the boards are with you and sending you our love and best wishes:)...

Good morning, Jim! You should be sitting down right about now in the MDR with your eggs benedict....mmmmm

I will be thinking about that as I go wipe up Cheerios from my 2 year old off my kitchen floor. :)

Kim

I thought about ordering up a scooter for me on this cruise.

There is a company that rents them for $175 for a 7 night cruise. They are delivered to you cabin on the ship and are supposed to be waiting for you ready to go when you board. At the end of the cruise you leave it in your cabin.

I guess that I am not yet ready to "give up" and admit that I can't walk around like I used to.

I sent an email to my surgeon and he responded yesterday that he thinks some physical therapy will help me a lot so I am going to start that next week.

My next cruise is on the Allure in January and I have decided that if I cannot improve my walking skills by then I will rent a scooter for the cruise.

It is funny that last week I got a letter from "The Scooter Store" wanting to pre-qualify me for a Scooter from Medicare.

Jim, I rented a scooter for my Alaska cruise on Radiance. It made a HUGE difference as my cabin was right in the aft so it saved so much walking for me. It was interesting trying to manouevre it into the cabin at the end of the day but it was doable! If there's a down side it's the fact that you have to wait for an elevator a bit longer to get a ride.

Overall I would have to say that this cruise is not going well for me.

Everywhere I go, everything I do, I keep seeing things that remind me of Carol.

The worst part I think is the lack of "two-ness" and having someone with me to share things with.

Over the last few months I have read most of the posts in the Solo Cruising Section so I know that a lot of people have fun as solo cruisers. I have never been shy and I have no problems walking up to strangers and introducing myself but to sum it up, things are just not "right" without Carol.

But I shall press on...

I had a nice nap and relaxed a good bit this afternoon.

About 3 pm I made the trek to the stern elevators and up to the Windjammer for Warm Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce! Yummy!

DSCN0562-1.jpg

I know it's not the same, but I wish we could all be there with you.

And for the record, the bread pudding is delicious!

I just know that if a shout out went out on this board there wouldn't be enough chairs available to go round a table for people to sit with you.....let alone a table big enough to sit us all.

Surely a member of the FOS staff is online following this thread....

I second this...we'd have enough "Trainman followers" to fill a dining room...and then some.

Jim, I rented a scooter for my Alaska cruise on Radiance. It made a HUGE difference as my cabin was right in the aft so it saved so much walking for me. It was interesting trying to manouevre it into the cabin at the end of the day but it was doable! If there's a down side it's the fact that you have to wait for an elevator a bit longer to get a ride.

When we were on the Oasis there was an old guy on a scooter who would drive up the the elevator and back up to the doors. Then they opened, he would call out "Backin' Up! Watch Out!" and then he was comin' back and it was up to the rest of the world to get out of his way.

After the Bread Pudding I headed up to Deck 14 and hung out with the Smokers and drinkers for awhile.

Then back to the cabin for the sail-away from Labadee, a quick change into MDR Attire, and back to the stern elevators and up to deck 14 to the Diamond Lounge and more hanging out with the smokers & drinkers.

I took an elevator down to deck 3 for dinner in the MDR and I was alone again!

DSCN0566.jpg

Good News! The elderly gentleman who was taken to medical on the first night is "OK" His problem was low blood pressure and they have that straightened out for him.

I talked with the Head Waiter and he has assigned me to another table with two couples. I had met one of the couples and went over to introduce myself. They are going to Chops tomorrow and asked me to join them there but Chops said "no room" so I may be alone again tomorrow in the MDR or go to the Windjammer.

Hey Jim: You never told us, how was the food at dinner last night? What did you have? Watching your posts everyday!!!!

Here is a photo of the wheel chair service to and from Labadee.

DSCN0560.jpg

I talked with a lady yesterday afternoon who caught a ride ashore in one of them yesterday and got onto the tram to ride around the "island" but couldn't find one to bring her back. She had to walk and was pooped when she got to the ship.

The Starboard (right) side of the ship is tied to the pier.

It is sunny and hot on my balcony as I post but this afternoon my balcony will be in the shade.

This afternoon I will be able to watch the sail away and cheer on the runners (late people) while relaxing in the shade! :D

Trainman2...in your travels if you happen to come across cabins 7563/7561 which are Promenade view rooms could you tell me which side of the bridge that spans the Promenade they are on?

I will be praying for you this week that you find joy despite the memories. Our memories are God's gift to us to keep those we love close to our heart. I know it would be difficult for me to cruise alone after so many years with my husband. Blessings...

Mary

Breakfast in the MDR was good.

The poached eggs for the Eggs Benedict were a bit under cooked.

Met two more Widowers and had breakfast with them.

Look at you, Jim. First those 3 guys at the Olive and Twist. Then the Cafe Promenade coffee klatch, and now these breakfast buddies. You are making friends all over the place and, you've been on the ship for only 3 days.

Way to go, Trainman!!

Trainman,

How wonderful that you have gone on this cruise to honor Carol. You are such Sweetheart to do this for her. I am enjoying reconnecting with your live posts.

What blessings for you to be put into the path of others who have done through what you are experiencing right now. I am sure you will be life-long friends with them from now on. I believe Carol is over-seeing these encounters with new friends for you. She knows you need these people in your life.

Yes, do be careful and don't over do it. Take it easy and savour the journey as difficult as it may be for you. You have given such a gift to Carol by giving her a burial at sea.

Muriel

Hi T-man, have a wonderful day in Jamaica today. WOW that pier is long, I don't blame you for not wanting to get off, especially in the heat. Stay on the ship where it is cool, enjoy a cool drink and just reflect and relax.

I can't wait to hear your report about the late runners this afternoon LOL! Please post pics!

Jean.

Hey Jim: You never told us, how was the food at dinner last night? What did you have? Watching your posts everyday!!!!

Sorry,I forgot to mention it...

I had the Roast Pork with Scalloped Potatoes. Both were excellent!

The pork was tender and juicy with almost no fat and served with lentils and a sauce.

The Starboard (right) side of the ship is tied to the pier.

It is sunny and hot on my balcony as I post but this afternoon my balcony will be in the shade.

This afternoon I will be able to watch the sail away and cheer on the runners (late people) while relaxing in the shade! :D

Good decision to stay on board today.....hope you get a few pictures of any late runners!!!!

Its great you met some other widowers! You could form a club and begin to cruise together as a group!

Please re-think the scooter option (I mentioed it early in the thread)

It would help you so much, you can still do therapy and get exersise at home under doctors care.

Enjoy your day on board!!!

I am standing upon that foreshore.

A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength and I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white clouds just where the sea and sky come down to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says, "There! She's gone!"

"Gone where?"

"Gone from my sight, that's all". She is just as large in mast and spar and hull as ever she was when she left my side. Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at that moment when someone at my side says, "There! She's gone!" there are other eyes watching her coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!" And that is dying.

This poem brought tears to my eyes! Our dear mother always wanted to cruise and it was because of her that we (my sister and I) took her on her first one. We were able to take two more cruises with her before she passed in 2004. Every time we cruise since her passing we toast her memory...very bittersweet!

Edited by linkerbink