LIVE from the FREEDOM of the SEAS, Sailing 5 Sep 2010

Trainman-2

Thank you so much for sharing your story with all of us.

We (whole family) are sailing on THe Allure of the Sea's Inaugural Cruise and will be doing the burial at sea for my parents. I truly think this will be such a wonderful memory and honoring my parents..........

Again..........THANK YOU so much...............God Bless

Trainman – you are phenomenal. Your posts are wonderful and I am honored that you have chosen to include us in your cruise and especially the ceremony. I believe we may have sailed with you and Carol on the Jewel in January 2009. Hope to sail with you again soon.

Marci

I started ashore with my walker but I didn't make it and returned to the ship. I stopped to rest three times before I decided to return.

I have realized that I have been pushing myself too hard on this cruise.

At home I hardly ever walk more than 100 or maybe 150 feet and I have arrived at my destination. I am either sitting down, getting in my car, or getting into the T-Rex. The hardest thing I have done for months is grocery shopping at Publix. And they have benches around the store where I can rest.

Here on the Freedom I am back and forth from one end of the ship to the other over and over again.

On our past cruises, I was always moving at Carol's speed which was much slower than I have been trying to go. Normally when I walk too far my hips start to hurt which is a signal to sit down and take a break.

Most of the things we have always liked to do were centered around the rear elevators. Same here on the Freedom but I have to go on a long walk to get to the rear elevators.

So I am going to take it easy and start walking less. I am about to head up to the Solarium for some pool time but I am going to do more relaxing and less walking.

Edited by Trainman-2

Trainman

I hope I can get through this post without having to stop to wipe the tears away.

I want to post so bad but the words that I want to write are not worthy of such a great honor to both Carol AND you!!! Both of you have touched sooooooooooooooo many people the past three days.

You are truly a blessing to Carol and to all of your CC family. Most of us have never met you personally but feel as if you are one of our best friends.

I am very honored to have "met" you here and just hope that some day, I would have the thrill of meeting you personally. You are a GREAT PERSON!!!

Tim

Here are some random photos taken from the ship.

Sorry about the poor quality. I am sure that there is some setting on my new camera that I have wrong. Sooner or later I will find it.

I surely would not call them "poor quality" - they are such pretty shots! What part of them looks off to you? I can see some mild fogging in places, but it well may just be haze in the atmosphere being caught by the sun. Had the camera been taken from inside to the outdoors recently? Could also be some slight condensation at work. Still, I think they are lovely!

The certificate for Carol is so beautiful. How nice that you requested extras for her brother and son. I am sure they will be treasured.

Jim

Thank you for allowing us to come along on this wonderful tribute to Carol.

Like so many others, I too have been touched by your story.

I will be keeping you in my prayers during the remainder of your journey, take it easy and enjoy yourself. You are an amazing soulmate and have done Carol proud.

Trainman I have been very touched by the way you are honoring your wife. I found your thread yesterday morning and read every word. I called my daughter and was telling her about it. I read part of it to her; we were both in tears when we ended the call. The young men who offered to go with you to spread the ashes were wonderful to be so kind. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your very special cruise.

God Bless You!!!!

I started ashore with my walker but I didn't make it and returned to the ship. I stopped to rest three times before I decided to return.

I have realized that I have been pushing myself too hard on this cruise.

At home I hardly ever walk more than 100 or maybe 150 feet and I have arrived at my destination. I am either sitting down, getting in my car, or getting into the T-Rex. The hardest thing I have done for months is grocery shopping at Publix. And they have benches around the store where I can rest.

Here on the Freedom I am back and forth from one end of the ship to the other over and over again.

On our past cruises, I was always moving at Carol's speed which was much slower than I have been trying to go. Normally when I walk too far my hips start to hurt which is a signal to sit down and take a break.

Most of the things we have always liked to do were centered around the rear elevators. Same here on the Freedom but I have to go on a long walk to get to the rear elevators.

So I am going to take it easy and start walking less. I am about to head up to the Solarium for some pool time but I am going to do more relaxing and less walking.

Ah, my friend all you need is an electric scooter!!! I'm sure you have seen several on board. ;)

A whole new world would open for you with the ability to get around more with one!!!

Trainman....I too, like the others have been reading your posts and am so incredibly touched at how you are honoring your wife on this cruise. The love that the two of you shared must have been something very special and I wish you all the best on this cruise. I started reading your post when I noticed that you were posting live from Freedom as we will be sailing on her in less than 2 weeks now, but I have had to really stop and take my time reading this as I have to keep fighting back the tears. God Bless you...I hope you are able to relax now a little and enjoy the rest of your trip as much as possible. The pictures you are posting are beautiful and the ones from the MDR and the Windjammer are making me hungry! :) I'm only sorry that we are not on board this week because we would have had you join us at a table, we would have loved to share our meals with you and hear your wonderful stories. I look forward to reading along with you as you go on the rest of your trip.

Kathy

Dearest Trainman, please just rest on this cruise and enjoy the peace and solitude and reflect on the good times that you had with your dear wife Carol. She is there with you, you are not alone. You have gone through so much in the past few days and your body is telling you to rest and I do believe Carol is telling you the same thing. So my dear, please just enjoy the rest of your sailing and please continue to post your wonderful pictures so we can continue this wonderful journey with you. May God bless you.

Jean.

Dear Trainman

I am very new to CC and stumbled across your post looking for information on FoS. I am humbled by your loving words for your wife and the saddness you must feel. When my mother passed away, I was given a lovely poem which I hope you might find some solace and comfort from. God bless you.

I am standing upon that foreshore.

A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength and I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white clouds just where the sea and sky come down to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says, "There! She's gone!"

"Gone where?"

"Gone from my sight, that's all". She is just as large in mast and spar and hull as ever she was when she left my side. Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at that moment when someone at my side says, "There! She's gone!" there are other eyes watching her coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!" And that is dying.

I still haven't decided about going ashore.

They don't have any Golf Cart like shuttles which would be ideal.

They do provide complementary Wheel Chair Service (with someone to push me around) but I would feel stupid getting pushed around in a wheelchair.

I should have brought my T-Rex, I could have gone ashore in style!

DSCN0293.jpg

Trainman, thank you for sharing your story.

The mental picture of you chugging down the hall in your T-Rex and barrelling into an elevator made me chuckle.

Eileen

Jim,

Such a wonderful, loving tribute to Carol. I'm so glad you were able to make this trip and scatter her ashes. And I also know that she's watching you, trying to remind you to take it easy and not overdo anything.

You're on one of the most wonderful ships afloat. Relax and enjoy. There will be other days to explore.

Thoughts and prayers with you.

Trainman - LOVE the T-Rex!

One of my favorite places is the Cafe Promenade. I also like to have a cup of coffee, but not early in the morning like you do. :eek:

I'm still in bed at 4,5,6 even 7 am.:p

Can't help you with the camera setting, but your pictures look fine to me, so keep posting them, please.

Your on vacation...so take it easy...Rest, Relax, Enjoy that JS Balcony and sit and people watch on the Promenade...best spot on the ship. IMO

I hope your table mates are with you for dinner, tonight.

Enjoy the FOS...she's a beauty.

Trainman

I hope I can get through this post without having to stop to wipe the tears away.

I want to post so bad but the words that I want to write are not worthy of such a great honor to both Carol AND you!!! Both of you have touched sooooooooooooooo many people the past three days.

You are truly a blessing to Carol and to all of your CC family. Most of us have never met you personally but feel as if you are one of our best friends.

I am very honored to have "met" you here and just hope that some day, I would have the thrill of meeting you personally. You are a GREAT PERSON!!!

Tim

You said the right words. We have never met Jim but feel we personally know him. He is one of our best friends.

Julia