Anyone unemployed taking a cruise alone or with the family?

lisa431965

Really no need to be nasty. Why shouldn't they take their cruise especially if the paid for it prior. Life happens. They'll find another job.

Personally, I have cruised between jobs, and also while DH collected unemployment, which he paid into and the employer also pays.

My advise to keep within a budget and don't rack up the credit card.

Really no need to be nasty. Why shouldn't they take their cruise especially if the paid for it prior. Life happens. They'll find another job.

I agree with this. I am sure the OP has payed tax dollars into the system as well. They will find another job.

Unemployed anyone we are and living on valor 9/19 was all ready pay

Is it really paid or is it sitting on a credit card racking up interest? I like to say things are "paid" when in reality it's on my credit card

Anyway, have a great time on the cruise and come back ready to job hunt! I hope you find something quickly!

I had gotten a good job but after a year was axed by the budget. I know how depressing it is and I wasn't even the main bread winner!

Oddly enough, we returned from a cruise in November, of '09 to find my "Dear Ken" papers in the mail box. I am fortunate enough to be old enough to retire anyway, but while I have been looking for work again, I haven't found anything. I've taken 3 cruises since then, and will board ship again this month. I don't feel bad at all, as I paid into the system for nearly 50 years, without drawing a dime out. Like one of the above posters said,,,,,poo-poo occurs!

I say, especially since the cruise was already paid for before the unemployment happened, go ahead and enjoy the cruise, but be very careful of the "sign-n-sail" charges.

"SKY"

Not according to our federal bean counters.

I'm a little scared to plan a cruise since neither my wife's nor my job is immune to this "recession". I also refuse to be petrified by fear. I find it hard to pull the trigger on the "buy now" button and I'll probably look for last minute deals.

Tough times, these are. Even for people in the relatively stable jobs, like nurses, even they aren't immune. Whole units that have been in place for years get closed, things get shuffled around. You book a cruise or plan your vacation, but who has a crystal ball. It could have been any one of us really, unless you are already retired or don't need to work.

My TA just told me that she had a client call to book an "Expensive" cruise last week, she did not give any other details about the client... except that the client then told her that they were also ready to loose their house to forclosure :eek: Gee, I wonder why???

I think you can be unemployed and still be financially responsible... However if you cant make your rent and you can get the cash back that you have paid on the cruise its a no brainer. :)

If you are past final payment and insurance doesnt cover it then you go and enjoy yourself... be careful what you spend and then you come home refreshed and ready to start the job search again... Might be exactly what you need to put a new perspective on things.

If it is paid in full, then go for it! It would probably take an act of Congress to get your money back anyway. Enjoy your vacation because I know this time is stressful. However, keep the job hunt active both before and after your cruise. I hope you find something soon.

Perhaps the OP is looking for someone she can relate to at this point given the possible change in employment status. There have been some nasty posters lately, who if you look at their previous posts, seem to take great pleasure in snarky useless responses :(

Those who are chiming in about unemployment benefits, tax dollars, cruise not really paid for what exactly should a person do when they find themselves unemployed? Her cruise is in less than 2 weeks so she's been well beyond final payment for quite awhile. Insurance isn't going to help unless something was purchased that allows for cancellation for any reason which is unlikely. So should someone sit back and stay home when the cruise is paid for and lose the money paid? Carnival considers a cruise paid for regardless of wether it's on a credit card or paid by cash.

My dh worked for the same company for close to 18 years when they closed the stores in our area. He had another job waiting for him with another company that started right away. Fast forward a few years and the new company decided to sell off some of their stores in the area with his being one of them. Another hit to his employment but he was able to secure another job quickly. Finally the company he's been with for the past few years recruited him and he's been happy with the changes. Had we booked a cruise that was paid for with no way to get our money back we'd have taken that cruise and been frugal with any on board expenses.

We have been fortunate with being able to roll with what life has thrown our way but we will never lose site of having compassion for those that my not be as fortunate.

Op I hope that you have a wonderful cruise and that you are able to secure employment when you return.

Perhaps the OP is looking for someone she can relate to at this point given the possible change in employment status. There have been some nasty posters lately, who if you look at their previous posts, seem to take great pleasure in snarky useless responses :(

Those who are chiming in about unemployment benefits, tax dollars, cruise not really paid for what exactly should a person do when they find themselves unemployed? Her cruise is in less than 2 weeks so she's been well beyond final payment for quite awhile. Insurance isn't going to help unless something was purchased that allows for cancellation for any reason which is unlikely. So should someone sit back and stay home when the cruise is paid for and lose the money paid? Carnival considers a cruise paid for regardless of wether it's on a credit card or paid by cash.

My dh worked for the same company for close to 18 years when they closed the stores in our area. He had another job waiting for him with another company that started right away. Fast forward a few years and the new company decided to sell off some of their stores in the area with his being one of them. Another hit to his employment but he was able to secure another job quickly. Finally the company he's been with for the past few years recruited him and he's been happy with the changes. Had we booked a cruise that was paid for with no way to get our money back we'd have taken that cruise and been frugal with any on board expenses.

We have been fortunate with being able to roll with what life has thrown our way but we will never lose site of having compassion for those that my not be as fortunate.

Op I hope that you have a wonderful cruise and that you are able to secure employment when you return.

I agree with everything you said! We are losing compassion for our fellow citizens in this country and its not a good reflection.

Pat

Honestly, I am a small business owner and posters that say they have "paid into unemployment for 50 yrs" are incorrect. Only the employer pays into unemployment. They pay both Federal and state.

I however believe if you have the money why not?? I imagine the loss of a job is very traumatic and they deserve some relaxation.

Just so nobody assumes i am stealing your money. I do not collect unemployment, i retired and collect my hard earned pension! Love the homeless comment by the way:)

I can't wait until DH retires and starts to collect his work pension...social security pension (including checks for me and the underage kids) and the rents!!! Won't be making any withdrawals from the 401K either:D

He may even do freelance consulting work up to the allowed amount as set forth by Social Security.

Yippee....we are cruising once a year minimum.......and he deserves it after 39 years in public service:) You're Welcome!!!!!

I agree with everything you said! We are losing compassion for our fellow citizens in this country and its not a good reflection.

Pat

You may be correct here. I personally have great respect for my fellow citizens who follow the rules, work on the books and pay taxes and do not break any laws.

It is those who cause havoc that I am a little less concerned about...

Archived