Ocho Rios Jamaica (No Response on Correct Board)

KBCruiseLover

We will be in Ocho Rios, Jamaica October 7th on Freedom - - -

(This will be our 1st trip to Jamaica)

#1 Which garden is better - Enchanted Gardens & Waterfalls OR Shaw Park Gardens & Waterfalls?

#2 Which one is closer to the cruise pier?

#3 Do you recommend booking either of these thru Carnival or booking on our own?

Thanks for any help!!!! KB

My wife and I did the enchanted Gardens and the Falls, it was GREAT. This was 3 years ago and had a blast. There was some damage in the enchanted gardens due to heavy rains before we arrived, but it was still a beautiful walk through the rain forrest. I'm not sure which is closer, but I'd definately book through Carnival, Jamaica is a beautiful country (one of our favorite port), but very poor and I wouldn't really trust the local taxi's. I'm not sure if there are any tourist companies to use so I'd stick with Carnival. Have a great time.:D

I can't comment on the gardens part of your tour, but I can tell you that the falls are not to be missed.

My group booked a private tour with Phil Lafayette, which I would do again in a heartbeat. Not nearly as crowded, and less expensive than the ship tour. He met us right at the dock and we had a wonderful time. He took us to the falls and then a tubing trip down the river, which culminated in an optional dive off of a cliff. ( I opted out, but all my kids did it ) . I think if you contact Phil, he can tailor a tour to your specific requests. Have fun!!!:)

#1 Which garden is better - Enchanted Gardens & Waterfalls OR Shaw Park Gardens & Waterfalls?

#3 Do you recommend booking either of these thru Carnival or booking on our own?

I would vote for staying on the ship, Ocho Rios is a scary place. The locals are very harassing and dont know when to quit. There is no police presence around the port area, which makes it even more unsafe. I've never been offered so many cab rides to "see the real Jamaica" or have had so many people offer me the best "Jamaican smoke" before. I swear that they hide in the bushes waiting to ambush the cruise travelers. If you are getting off the ship, make sure you know exactly where you are going and go straight there. The island is a beautiful place, the people, not as much so.

I would vote for staying on the ship, Ocho Rios is a scary place. The locals are very harassing and dont know when to quit. There is no police presence around the port area, which makes it even more unsafe. I've never been offered so many cab rides to "see the real Jamaica" or have had so many people offer me the best "Jamaican smoke" before. I swear that they hide in the bushes waiting to ambush the cruise travelers. If you are getting off the ship, make sure you know exactly where you are going and go straight there. The island is a beautiful place, the people, not as much so.

Ignore this advice.

Jamaica is a beautiful place to visit. Hire a red cab, or go on a tour. Do not sit and cower on the ship while in port.

Ignore this advice.

Jamaica is a beautiful place to visit. Hire a red cab, or go on a tour. Do not sit and cower on the ship while in port.

I agree with this. Although I would hire a private guide, rather than a random JUTA cab. Make sure the cab has JUTA plates!

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT book any excursion in Jamaica on your own. Book through the ship.

I can honestly see why you feel this way. My buddies always stay at private resorts and take thier cab service.My last trip to ocho rios was a hell ride,through what I would call Crack city. One dude tried to stick his hand in the mini van window trying to sell me weed. After the falls your forced to exit a market where most of the products are made in china. My first time I had a great time ,last one not so good.But I would still get off the ship,do your homework ie; here. These boards are for honest opinions for and from people. No need to argue.

Back in 2006 I book my DH and I for the shopping, Shaw Park and Falls. Shopping, was not so great but we both loved Shaw Park and he's not into that kind of thing. The view was great up there. The falls were okay, something you have to see and do once. After the tour we cleaned up and went to the Margaritaville and shopping area right there. That was really nice and probably could have spent the day there or atleast a while longer. I did book this through Carnival just because of all the reviews on Ocho Rios. I don't think I overpaid for what we got. We're usually ones to book seperate or just rent a car and go on our own. After seeing the port I'm glad we didn't this just isn't a place I'd venture out on my own.

Having grown up in the great city of New York, I had lots of experience dealing with all kinds of people. "One love mon" is a cute rejoinder, " No No No I don't smoke it no more" is another. I've said " In my culture, we don't put our hands on strangers" to the persistent entreprenour. All said with a smile, kept on walking, no problems, mon! Peace! Flash the V sign and smile, cause I'm on vacation! And no, I don't want a date with your friend's sister! Or cousin! Or nephew! Geez!

It's not strange that some of the worst examples of pushy people congregate around the portside, but it's stranger that some visitors will then think that's the way all the locals behave, and it's strangest that more travelors don't get beyond the port and those "pushy people" to travel into the countryside like Samantha Brown. Just sayin......

My preference was the enchated garden and the falls, btw.....

Having grown up in the great city of New York, I had lots of experience dealing with all kinds of people. "One love mon" is a cute rejoinder, " No No No I don't smoke it no more" is another. I've said " In my culture, we don't put our hands on strangers" to the persistent entreprenour. All said with a smile, kept on walking, no problems, mon! Peace! Flash the V sign and smile, cause I'm on vacation! And no, I don't want a date with your friend's sister! Or cousin! Or nephew! Geez!

It's not strange that some of the worst examples of pushy people congregate around the portside, but it's stranger that some visitors will then think that's the way all the locals behave, and it's strangest that more travelors don't get beyond the port and those "pushy people" to travel into the countryside like Samantha Brown. Just sayin......

My preference was the enchated garden and the falls, btw.....

Great post, wish there was more time to get in the heart and soul of the places we visit

If you are NOT going to do a tour, then I can sort of see this point of view, but how can you NOT do a tour? You get in a vehicle and drive away from the idiots you don't want to be around.

If you get away from the touristy area near the boat dock, I don't think the problems with the locals are nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

I agree with this. Although I would hire a private guide, rather than a random JUTA cab. Make sure the cab has JUTA plates!

Will add my opinion on getting a JUTA cab! They are official government taxis and have flat-rate prices, which they must show you. The plates are red.

Found this out the hard way in Montego Bay many, many years ago, getting a taxi from Doctor's Cave Beach back to the ship.

Will add my opinion on getting a JUTA cab! They are official government taxis and have flat-rate prices, which they must show you. The plates are red.

Found this out the hard way in Montego Bay many, many years ago, getting a taxi from Doctor's Cave Beach back to the ship.

You are right, I meant don't get a random cab, make sure you get a JUTA. Whoops! :cool:

Archived