Another carseat and stroller question

onesphinx2004

Having cruised quite a bit with young kids/babies I would try to limit yourself to one stroller or the other if possible. Get a travel bag or case to carry the car seat in and just bring the umbrella stroller. The less baby gear to haul around the better IMHO ;)

If you do need both of them I would probably check the larger stroller as luggage (car seats and strollers are free on most airlines). Then use the umbrella stroller around the airport and gate check it when you board the plane.

Having cruised quite a bit with young kids/babies I would try to limit yourself to one stroller or the other if possible. Get a travel bag or case to carry the car seat in and just bring the umbrella stroller. The less baby gear to haul around the better IMHO ;)

If you do need both of them I would probably check the larger stroller as luggage (car seats and strollers are free on most airlines). Then use the umbrella stroller around the airport and gate check it when you board the plane.

Thanks for advice.

We are traveling with an 11 mo. old. Since we think we need our carseat, we plan on taking the carseat with stroller that carries it. We would also like to take our umbrella stroller. Has anyone had a problem with checking both of those at the airport gate?

Be advised that with most airlines, if you gate check a stroller and it becomes damaged, the airline is not liable for this damage. It has to be checked in an appropriate container at the counter.

I agree with the above poster. Try to limit yourself to one stroller and car seat....the rooms are pretty small.

We traveled with a 1 year old and left the car seat at home. We just went with the Umbrella stroller. Also be advised, that many of the taxis in the Caribbean don't have seat belts so a car seat wouldn't work. If getting to the airport is the reason you need the car seat, some car services have car seats available.

Good luck!

You might have seen my other threads, as I've been going round and round over this myself! Our son will be 11 months when we cruise and he'll be in a toddler seat already according to the weight guidelines. Toddler seats leave FEW options for stroller combos :confused:

We looked into the GoGo Babyz Travelmate (http://www.gogobabyz.com) and they have several different products for both infant and toddler carseats if you were wanting a way to make your seat easier to transport but didnt want to bring 2 strollers.

In the end we decided paying for the carseats in our rental cars was the best option for us to get to and from the port. (Rates ranged from $9-13 per day) We found a taxi service in Nassau on another thread and confirmed with them that they offer carseats by request, no extra charge. http://www.bahamas-treasures.com/fergiestaxi/. However, I have called I believe EVERY taxi service in Freeport and cannot find one that offers it, and even had one person tell me that carseats for that age of child arent even required in the Bahamas so we'll have a hard time finding what we're looking for. We may be on foot that day.....

Its a tough thing to figure out for sure....hope I was able to help at least a little:)

We are traveling with an 11 mo. old. Since we think we need our carseat, we plan on taking the carseat with stroller that carries it. We would also like to take our umbrella stroller. Has anyone had a problem with checking both of those at the airport gate?

Can your baby still fit in your "bucket" or infant seat? It really isn't too hard to lug around or install (without the base) compared to the forward-facing convertable carseats such as a Britax.

We traveled with DD,who is now 3, with her Graco infant seat. Our Graco seat had a weight limit of 35 lbs and she was below the maximum height. We traveled a few times from the time she was 6 months through about 15 months this way. We took it with our Combi cosmo stroller and used a bungee cord to secure the car seat to the stroller. It worked great and I didn't need to buy another stroller. We took the car seat on board the plane as we always bought her a seat, when she was under 2, so that we could safely install her in her car seat. We gate checked the stroller.

Now that she is 3, we check our Radian 80 folding car seat with our other luggage at no charge and use our CARES on board the plane (much easier to do). We still gate check the stroller (a Maclaren volvo).

IMO, taking a large stroller and an umbrella stroller is a little too much stuff. I may be wrong, but I don't think that they will let you gate check two strollers. They will, however, let you check a stroller and a car seat.

When I was looking for the model name of my Combi, I found this: http://www.combistrollers.com/ProductDetails.aspx?CategoryID=10&selection=2&Children=0&productID=880

If I had this a couple years ago, it would have made things easier for me!

BTW, I would NEVER consider riding in a taxi without my DD installed in a safe carseat that I installed myself. Just my 2 cents, for what it is worth. You can find taxis that have seatbelts in most ports. You can sometimes arrange for one ahead of time by phon or online. Check your port-of-call boards.

Good luck!

I used the Eddie Bauer portable car seats (I think I got the idea from Michelle) for a few of our trips. You can rent them from sellers on ebay. They fold flat and are really light. Not the safest alternative, but for travel I thought they were a great way to provide the five-way harness for my twins and not have to carry huge car seats with us. I easily carried two of these in a tote bag. They're tricky at first to install, but after I practiced a little at home, they were easy to install in a taxi.

http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Bauer-Portable-Seat-Collection/dp/B000K53TFI

Best,

Mia

I used the Eddie Bauer portable car seats (I think I got the idea from Michelle) for a few of our trips. You can rent them from sellers on ebay. They fold flat and are really light. Not the safest alternative' date=' but for travel I thought they were a great way to provide the five-way harness for my twins and not have to carry huge car seats with us. I easily carried two of these in a tote bag. They're tricky at first to install, but after I practiced a little at home, they were easy to install in a taxi.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Wow these look great and I really want one for our upcoming cruise. Do you know the names of the ebay sellers you can rent them from? I would really like to buy one but can't seem to find them for sale anywhere. :(

I used the Eddie Bauer portable car seats (I think I got the idea from Michelle) for a few of our trips. You can rent them from sellers on ebay. They fold flat and are really light. Not the safest alternative' date=' but for travel I thought they were a great way to provide the five-way harness for my twins and not have to carry huge car seats with us. I easily carried two of these in a tote bag. They're tricky at first to install, but after I practiced a little at home, they were easy to install in a taxi.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I love these too!! Please send us any info as to where you got these from. I'm cruising in November with my 15 month old. I have gone back and forth as to what to bring. This might be the solution

Has anyone had a problem with checking both of those at the airport gate?

We did both when we flew to Yellowstone last year.

The carseat should get checked with your luggage at the ticket counter. The stroller at the gate (or at the airplane door down the catwalk).

They are both considered walking assistance equipment.

They best part is they cant charge you a baggage fee for them as its not luggage. (like a wheelchair)

I even brought a baby backpack carrier and they checked it under the plane at the ticket counter - no charge also.

One thing though - the foam handle on our umbi stroller had a rip it when we got it home. No biggy but 6rugrats mentions the damage waiver above.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I've been reading up on the Eddie Bauer seats mentioned in this thread and have read several people comment that it's hard to fit a child over 3 in these because they are too tall and the straps, at their highest, will be hard to go over their shoulders.

Just wondering if any of you that suggested this or tried this system...if you had a child over 3 that it worked for?

I'm not sure if you can even buy the eddie bauer travel seats anymore. I have not been able to find them in stock anywhere. Looking for an alternative to the big carseats for my 4 year old twins in October...urgg

I have found them online i places every once in awhile. Just be aware that I'm reading if you have a child over 3, they are too small (as in too short and the straps won't go over the top of the child or they are too tight). This is my concern and why I brought it up again. If you have 4 year olds, you might want to make sure before doing a purchase like this (well with the Eddie Bauer ones) so that you don't waste your money. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what happened with the availability of this item, but the Eddie Bauer portable car seat is actually in stock on Amazon - I looked over at ebay and there were 14 bids on the lone listing:eek:, so clicked it and bought it straight from Amazon :)

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure what kind of car seat you have, we will be flying with our Britax Marathon and I will take it on the plane, instead of checking it in. Britax is airplane compatible so it can be put on the airline seat and DS will sit in his seat. That way he's comfy and can sleep if he wants to. I also don't want to take a chance and have my car seat thrown around like luggage and dropped.

Check if your seat is airplane compatible and take in onboard with you, if that's a possibility.

Archived