Bathroom question

daju22

Hello,

We would like to book a veranda stateroom on Regatta for Alaska 2011. This will be our first cruise with Oceania.

My husband has mobility problems. I asked the representative if there was a small bar in the shower or any handholds in case the ship is rocking. She said there is absolutely nothing to hold onto.

I've searched for pictures of the cabin bathrooms. There are none. I've searched this forum for bathroom information and found one reference to someone's elderly parents with mobility problems. Helpful posters on this forum said that the older people would be better off in a smaller cabin as opposed to the penthouse with bathtub because the regular veranda cabins had plenty of handholds in the shower.

Does anyone have shower and bathroom pictures? I have stateroom 6060 on hold and would like to make a decision.

Oceania seems like a great cruiseline for us.

Thanks for you help.

Judy

Hello,

We would like to book a veranda stateroom on Regatta for Alaska 2011. This will be our first cruise with Oceania.

My husband has mobility problems. I asked the representative if there was a small bar in the shower or any handholds in case the ship is rocking. She said there is absolutely nothing to hold onto.

I've searched for pictures of the cabin bathrooms. There are none. I've searched this forum for bathroom information and found one reference to someone's elderly parents with mobility problems. Helpful posters on this forum said that the older people would be better off in a smaller cabin as opposed to the penthouse with bathtub because the regular veranda cabins had plenty of handholds in the shower.

Does anyone have shower and bathroom pictures? I have stateroom 6060 on hold and would like to make a decision.

Oceania seems like a great cruiseline for us.

Thanks for you help.

Judy

Judy,

I don't have photos but we just recently got off INSIGNIA. We were in an "A" (usually we're in a PH and my recollection of the tub-shower in a PH is that it does have a handhold, but on the other hand it can be difficult to climb over the edge of the tub if you have mobility problems).

In the "A" the shower didn't have anything to hold on to. OTOH, the shower is very small and you might not really fall in it...

Have you considered a handicapped cabin? I believe they are inside, however.

OTOH, the shower is very small and you might not really fall in it...

Mura is right, the showers in the the B1 bathrooms are......how shall I put it?.......delightfully intimate! :D

Seriously though, we have traveled with a number of Eighty-somethings, and they were very happy with the secure feeling that the snug shower space gave them.

Thanks Mura and StanandJim for your help.

Yes, I've read all the cute comments about the tiny shower and bathroom. Like you said, it may be that the small size helps to keep you on your feet.:) Glad to hear that 80 year olds feel safe.

The handicapped bathrooms only have a tub. DH can't climb over that.

We're very happy about the small size of the ship which means that he can walk everywhere without getting worn out.

My wife has mobility problems and we travel frequently, she brings with her the portable vacuum cup hand holds. We always book a shower for the reason of the step over issues. The vacuum holds are for stability only, not to pull on.

Ron

Thanks, Ron. We have those vacuum hand holds too. Haven't used them on a ship yet. May be a good thing to bring along.

Judy

That's funny, Lyn, I don't recall those handholds at all!

As to the handicapped cabins, I had been told that they only had tubs which I found rather surprising given the difficulty of getting in and out for someone with mobility problems, but recently someone told me that such was not the case ... so I thought perhaps they had been rebuilt when in drydock.

I guess not!

There is a vertical hand hold in the showers in the C & B cat cabins we have been in

Some photos of the shower in this past thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=708473&highlight=showers

Wow! Great thread with pictures. Thanks alot LHT.

Now, all I need to know is which cabins have the shower hand hold on the left when you face the showerhead. My husband's right hand is not useful. I was hoping to hear from Jana who posted a picture #12 post in the thread above. I see she hasn't posted since 2009 though.

I think some bathrooms are on the right as you enter the cabin and some are on the left. I found a picture of an Azamara cabin with the bathroom on the right. It had the shower handhold on the left. This would be the perfect set up for us.

If anyone knows which cabins have the bathroom on the right when entering, please let me know.

We're have 6060 on hold, but maybe 6058 has bathroom on the right. I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks so much.

Judy

I think people are confusing the rod for the shower head to be slid up and down for a hand hold. It can serve practically the same function and I often use it to navigate in the shower, especially when my eyes are soapy.

However, I doubt it is ancored like a handicap bar and may not support the weight of someone falling down. It will work to steady someone in rough seas or when moving around. Just don't plan on it holding up a 200# person.

I think people are confusing the rod for the shower head to be slid up and down for a hand hold. .

If you look in the pictures of the link I posted there is NO confusion.

There is a proper hand grip on the wall of the shower.

Lyn

I just checked out the pictures of the shower and that bathroom sure does look small. Is the shelf under the sink the only area to store toiletries? If so, that will be a problem for me and all my "stuff". Also, I assume there is no clothes line in the shower so where would I be able to hang some undies to dry?

I think some bathrooms are on the right as you enter the cabin and some are on the left. I found a picture of an Azamara cabin with the bathroom on the right. It had the shower handhold on the left. This would be the perfect set up for us.

Judy

Do you know what cabin # that the picture was taken in?

If so it will probably be the same as the O ships

We were in 4047 & the grip was on my right hand side but of course it is not a balcony cabin

Lyn

I just checked out the pictures of the shower and that bathroom sure does look small. Is the shelf under the sink the only area to store toiletries? If so, that will be a problem for me and all my "stuff". Also, I assume there is no clothes line in the shower so where would I be able to hang some undies to dry?

One should never ASSUME:D

There is a clothes line in the shower

There are 3 shelves in the corner over the toilet also some small shelves in the side by the mirror as well as the shelf under the sink

That's funny, Lyn, I don't recall those handholds at all!

As to the handicapped cabins, I had been told that they only had tubs which I found rather surprising given the difficulty of getting in and out for someone with mobility problems, but recently someone told me that such was not the case ... so I thought perhaps they had been rebuilt when in drydock.

I guess not!

I am surprised they would have tubs also

Most H/C rooms have wheel in showers ..for good reason ;)

I have never seen the h/c cabin on O so cannot say for sure what they have

I was hoping someone who had one would comment

Lyn

Do you know what cabin # that the picture was taken in?

If so it will probably be the same as the O ships

We were in 4047 & the grip was on my right hand side but of course it is not a balcony cabin

Lyn

Yes, Lyn, the cabin number is 7076. Here are the bathroom and the cabin pictures. I thought maybe they'd be alike. It's so hard to get specific cabin information that I have to scour the internet for pictures. You can see that the bathroom is on the right as you enter and the handhold is on the left facing the shower.

Judy

21874852_Az7076bathroom.jpg.6d1b42f795ccf38da43125230a54a2d8.jpg

1181295694_Az7076bathroomontherightasyouenter.jpg.1d2dc2bc2460b7d6e4401c46cbaeeee5.jpg

I don't see the shelves over the toilet that LHT28 mentioned. It looks like there's just a hairdryer mounted to the wall.

On the O ship the shelves are on the opposite wall to the hairdryer

The picture is hard to see as it seems to be stretched

Maybe Azamara took them out

Lyn

If anyone knows which cabins have the bathroom on the right when entering, please let me know.

We're have 6060 on hold, but maybe 6058 has bathroom on the right. I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks so much.

Judy

I had 6039 which is only a Obstructed Ocean View and a smaller cabin (I was travelling solo, so it did not matter to me)to 6060 but the bathroom was on the Right. The cabin is small but thank goodness the bathroom is the normal size. 6039 had the same bars etc as Lyn's pictures above.

If I was you I would email Special Services in Miami and ask them as they did some checking for me on a cruise on Regatta last year about as similiar problem. In the email I sent them I asked them to forward the email on to the Concierge onboard Regatta and asked them to check it out. They did this and I received a reply with 3-4 days.

As usual wonderful service from all concerned at Oceania.

Thanks so much.

Judy

I had 6039 which is only a Obstructed Ocean View and a smaller cabin (I was travelling solo, so it did not matter to me)to 6060 but the bathroom was on the Right. The cabin is small but thank goodness the bathroom is the normal size. 6039 had the same bars etc as Lyn's pictures above.

If I was you I would email Special Services in Miami and ask them as they did some checking for me on a cruise on Regatta last year about as similiar problem. In the email I sent them I asked them to forward the email on to the Concierge onboard Regatta and asked them to check it out. They did this and I received a reply with 3-4 days.

As usual wonderful service from all concerned at Oceania.

Rhohea,

This is a great idea! Now I have to find the email for special services. Hope I get an answer before my cabin hold expires. I'm amazed that the concierge would help so much. As I said before, the special services person on the phone said there weren't any handholds. Guess it depends on who is working that day! This is wonderful service. Hope it works for me!

Thanks,

Judy

Rhohea,

This is a great idea! Now I have to find the email for special services. Hope I get an answer before my cabin hold expires. I'm amazed that the concierge would help so much. As I said before, the special services person on the phone said there weren't any handholds. Guess it depends on who is working that day! This is wonderful service. Hope it works for me!

Thanks,

Judy

Judy email me and I will send you the email address rhohea23@yahoo.com.au

Archived