intercontinental hotel in miami - what is there to do at night?

baby

We must be totally cheesy!! Staying at the IC and looking forward to Bayside Market. :D

We're thinking of taking a boat tour of the bay. Has anyone done that? I'm sure that is cheesy, too.

I took a boar tour of the bay a few years ago, went around Star Island etc (I think thats the name of the island) we took the last tour of the night and it was dark for over 1/2 of it, so if you do take the tour make sure its not the last one of the night, otherwise it will be in the dark. It was February when we did this.

Not true, done it before when we were younger but there is a port bus that goes across the causeway to the ships and this is what crews and port workers use.

What's not true? Everything I wrote in my post is true. If you chose to do it some years ago, that was your perogative. I was simply recommending no one walk to the Port of Miami.

We stayed at the Intercontiental last month. The room very nice. We enjoyed the lobby resturant for dinner. Don't miss out on the new Cafe by the Pool. Great view of the ships and the water. If you are a Priority Club Member you can get a late check out at no extra charge. I would recommend you stay at the hotel and enjoy the pool, arrive last at the ship and not wait around in the crowds. Across the street was a lively night club with an outside bar and music. It was very "MIAMI". Also, we took advantage of an option to pre-pay the room and saved some $$$ too.

Please do not walk. Not only is it deceivingly farther than you think, but it is an industrial, working port over a bridge, with heavy truck traffic whizzing by you, and the Miami sun is hot. The wheels on your carry on will be toast by the time you get there. It is not safe. Please budget to spend the 12 bucks for a cab. You'll arrive safely, be more refreshed, and ready to start your cruise vacation.

$12 bucks, is that what it costs? LOL, last time our cab driver did not turn the meter on when we left the IC for the port. When we got to the port he tried to charge us $25. DH argued; the cabbie cursed, but he still only got $7 from DH. Knowing it's $25 all the way from the airport and forgetting what we paid for the same IC/port trip in the past, I'm glad we stiffed him.

• 1 month later...
We stayed at the Intercontiental last month. The room very nice. We enjoyed the lobby resturant for dinner. Don't miss out on the new Cafe by the Pool. Great view of the ships and the water. If you are a Priority Club Member you can get a late check out at no extra charge. I would recommend you stay at the hotel and enjoy the pool, arrive last at the ship and not wait around in the crowds. Across the street was a lively night club with an outside bar and music. It was very "MIAMI". Also, we took advantage of an option to pre-pay the room and saved some $$$ too.

Does anyone know the name of this night club??

While Bayside Marketplace is certainly something, my litmus test is: If I lived in this area, is this something I would go out of my way to do? In re: Bayside, I'd say no.

My 'neice' visited us a couple of weeks ago, she's a Miami native and when I mentioned how folks on this board regularly recommended Bayside, she laughed and said, "Why? They like to see thirteen-year-olds on dates?"

There's nothing wrong with it per se. It's a dining and shopping complex. There's one in Coconut Grove called Coco Walk, there's one in Ft. Lauderdale called Beach Place. I can't call it touristy because frankly there's nothing to see there. It just is.

Now, if you're in the Intercontinental for a night and for some reason, you'd rather not actually explore a wonderful, vibrant area like Miami Beach, but you'd rather eat in a restaurant you could eat in at home, then absolutely, Bayside is fine. You'll get a meal, you'll see other cruisers and you can watch pre-teens on dates. Knock yourself out.

Personally, I think it's worth it to invest a few bucks in a cab and go to Lincoln Rd for the evening. There you'll have a choice of great cafes and lots of live music, as well as shopping and people watching.

I just looked at Google Earth and the awnings on the side of the building where the club is are under construction so I could not see a name. I bet if you called the Intercontiental they could tell you the name.

Thanks - Could this be the place? It doesn't look like our "cup of tea," though. (at least the "disco" lounge that opens at 10pm doesn't!)

http://miabiscayne.com/ultralounge.html

I would just like a place we could walk to from the hotel where we could sit outside for a cocktail or two, and there's always Bayside! :D (sorry, RuthlessBunny, I couldn't resist! :))

Where would you recommend for a lady on her own to eat at night? I'm staying at the IC and I don't want to be holed up in my room with room service when there is so much to see and do beyond the hotel.

You have a couple of options. Take a cab to Lincoln Rd and Collins. It's a pedestrian mall with cafes, shops and lounges. Stroll, window shop and eat wherever your travels take you. I like the Van Dyke Cafe, they have a really neat menu and live music in the evenings.

Another option, closer to the IC is to take a cab to Perricones, Mary Brickell Villiage. They have a garden where you can enjoy your meal outdoors, amid trees. I used to eat lunch here when I met with cutomers downtown.

You'll enjoy whatever you choose.

You have a couple of options. Take a cab to Lincoln Rd and Collins. It's a pedestrian mall with cafes, shops and lounges. Stroll, window shop and eat wherever your travels take you. I like the Van Dyke Cafe, they have a really neat menu and live music in the evenings.

Another option, closer to the IC is to take a cab to Perricones, Mary Brickell Villiage. They have a garden where you can enjoy your meal outdoors, amid trees. I used to eat lunch here when I met with cutomers downtown.

You'll enjoy whatever you choose.

Thank you so much. You're always so very helpful.

Archived