P&O Oceana vs Ocean Village

Longislandtea

Rosie,

I am travelling on P&O for the first time in March, I have cruised on OV and loved it, I dont read the Daily Mail choosing to get the news off the web, I am 49 and I admit on the odd occasion to shopping at Marks and Spencers :)

I know you are going on a P&O cruise in November as I have had a few conversations with you on your pre booking seat forum and I know you make comments tongue in cheek on occasion but my question to you is if you think Smee is doing the same?

I'm sure I have spoke to Smee on another topic and found him rather nice and helpful concerning some of my questions so I dont think he means to come across as being a snob

Just my opinion so please dont attack me! ;)

Enjoy your cruise

Regards.

Lynn

Oh Lynn, I would never attack you :p Smee is just like me (s)hes a good fun WUM, OV v's P&O is a regular subject on here, I (and others) play the antagonist and others join in being the protagonist, we have a bit of yah -boo and it creates a good read and as it's Friday, I guess some of us get that Friday feeling! Most of the regulars have disappeared over the months and the newbies get really into it. Don't take anything I say too seriously! Though I do let my son kick the hell out of the seat in front for 9 hours on a plane (he's the fittest kid in the school;))

Oh Lynn, I would never attack you :p Smee is just like me (s)hes a good fun WUM, OV v's P&O is a regular subject on here, I (and others) play the antagonist and others join in being the protagonist, we have a bit of yah -boo and it creates a good read and as it's Friday, I guess some of us get that Friday feeling! Most of the regulars have disappeared over the months and the newbies get really into it. Don't take anything I say too seriously! Though I do let my son kick the hell out of the seat in front for 9 hours on a plane (he's the fittest kid in the school;))

I can see your point :)

People to get very upset about some of the topics, I hope I get to sit with some nice people at dinner, my theory about other people is they are kind, polite and respectful of other's, I am not interested in who has been on the most cruises, who has the best job and who has the most money, if I have dinner companions like this then I will be looking for another table on night two :)

I hope you and Smee keep up the banter, I spend more time reading the forums now than watching tv;)

Lynn

Well from what you have said I just hope you continue to sail OV, at least you will not be scruffy in my dinning room.............:D:D:D:D

As you have neither spoken to me or seen me how can you comment on my attire. I have had a good laugh at these threads and you have earned the gold star for ignorance.

Maybe one day we will meet on a P & O cruise and you will see for yourself that your vision of an OV cruiser is far from the truth.

We have sailed on OV 1 and 2 and loved the ship. It was friendly, casual and fun. We paid for the executive lounge which was well worth the money. We have also sailed on the Oriana and while it is a lovely ship my husband hated having to wear a jacket 6 nights out of 10. As a result we are sailing on the Oceana next March as while my husband has no objection to wearing a "penquin Suit" a few times he can wear trousers and a smart shirt the rest of the time. I hope the unhelpful remarks haven't put you off. We have also sailed many times on Thomson ships it might be an idea to check these out as they offer something in between OV and P and O. Happy cruising. :)

Well it must have been what, a whole 2 weeks since the old OV Vs P&O debate and the Stereotypes.

OV attracted a lot of new cruisers into the market, those who either spend all day in suits through to those who are at the rock-face.

As in the "school uniform" debate the clothes do not maketh the man (or woman). I've found fellow OV passengers always friendly irrespective of what they may or may not wear in a restaurant.

Personally, I don't even own a pair of jeans and never worn shorts in the evening (but don't really care what others wear), I do wear smart trainers though :eek: but then I think they look smarter than sandals! Nice comfortable after a days walking around ashore.

Carnival want to retain all those OV passengers and like others I'm now getting almost weekly mail-drops (email and physical) of how I should book my next holiday on the family friendly, informal Oceana and Ventura..

If Carnival bosses in the UK had an ounce of brain power they would just rebrand one or both of those ships and end of debate..

But yes more and more ex-OV people will be going on Oceana and Ventura and yes the buffet on formal nights will become fuller whilst the MDR standards will slowly slip.

If P&O traditionalists have problems with this then they should be venting their frustrations at the culprits P&O/Carnival UK.

As much as I'd like to go on P&O Ventura/Oceana, I'm waiting until the dust has settled in a year or two. NCL have some great ships just costs more without the UK nice bits.

In terms of entertainment I think a lot of the comedians/tribute acts are shared between P&O/OV. They use the same system for flights, the same checking-in/action ashore etc.. Don't forget that OV was set up as a branch-off the P&O brand so thr roots are the same.

No I must say I have avoided Butlins on the sea.............:eek:

The thing that amazes me is the fact that an honest question was asked by Longislandtea and you answer with remarks which are totally unnecessary. :confused: Perhaps your aim is to put OV passengers off of P & O? If that is the case it has not worked, we have just booked on the Oceana for September 18th a last minute gift from my husband to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary.:)

The thing that amazes me is the fact that an honest question was asked by Longislandtea and you answer with remarks which are totally unnecessary. :confused: Perhaps your aim is to put OV passengers off of P & O? If that is the case it has not worked, we have just booked on the Oceana for September 18th a last minute gift from my husband to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary.:)

How exciting! only one week before your cruise, Have a wonderful holiday and congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary,is that Pearl? it will be our 30th in 2012, I hope my husband surprises me like that:)

Best wishes

Lynn

How exciting! only one week before your cruise, Have a wonderful holiday and congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary,is that Pearl? it will be our 30th in 2012, I hope my husband surprises me like that:)

Best wishes

Lynn

Thank you Lynn, it is our Ruby but yours will be Pearl in 2012. A wonderful surprise considering I have not long returned from a cruise with my sister on OV.

I guess the age of chivalry still exists for some.:) I cannot wait now.

Hello, Just back for the best ever Cruise on Ocean Village. Sadly she is going of to Aus soon and will be greatly missed.

We are thinking of going on Oceana next year and really do not want anything formal. Don't mind dressing up a bit, but not too often.

Has anyone been on OV and Oceana and how do the compare.

Many thanks

LIT.:)

LIT, we have done both OV and Oceana (several times). In general you will find the people on board are exactly the same, all enjoying their holiday.

With P&O though there are usually 4 formal nights on a 2 week cruise ... which are very well supported. However if you do not want to join in the buffet restaurant and some bars will still allow people in if not dressed formally.

I used to hate it but Julie loves getting dressed up so, out of respect for her, and the fact I love to occasionally see her have the opportunity to really dress up, I join in. I own a tux (although a dark suit is fine) and I wear a bowtie (although an ordinary tie is also fine) ... however the minute dinner is over the tie comes off (stupid useless antiquated piece of material that serves no purpose ... I have heard some old fashioned companies still force their staff to wear ties during the week to work :eek:). There is something special though about the formal evenings and the atmosphere they produce.

If doing the Caribbean then the remaining 10 nights are usually smart casual (**) where the dress code would be similar to that found on OV ... except with better food and entertainment (which is subjective ;) ).

** when in the Med there may be 6 smart casual and 4 semi formal nights. For semi formal gentlemen only need a lightweight jacket (a tie is not required).

LIT, we have done both OV and Oceana (several times). If doing the Caribbean then the remaining 10 nights are usually smart casual (**) where the dress code would be similar to that found on OV ... except with better food and entertainment (which is subjective ;) ).

** when in the Med there may be 6 smart casual and 4 semi formal nights. For semi formal gentlemen only need a lightweight jacket (a tie is not required).

I believe even in the Med Ventura and Oceana have 10 smart-casual and 4 Formal.

Whilst some other bars and lounges allow people in on formal nights in different attaire this is not the official P&O rule.

When I directly enquired the response was ONLY the Buffet and that lounges/theatre and bar follow the nights dress code, however its down to the cruise director.. Knowing my luck between booking and sailing they'd probably make this stricter judging by the traditional complaints and hence I decided not to risk it. They should say a couple of "named" bars and the MDRs with a strict formal code and the rest including all the show lounges and theatres as smart casual or whatever you started the night in (which I think RCL also do)..

Butlins on sea or Oceana.....??.........:D:D:D:D:eek:

Butlins has had far more spent on it than Oceana, the rooms are bigger and it's not full of chav's; they are all booking cheaper cruises on P&O (which is NOW the new Butlins of the seas, with the demise of OV) ........ not that I know, I'm merely guessing........ just like you :rolleyes:

Butlins has had far more spent on it than Oceana, the rooms are bigger and it's not full of chav's; they are all booking cheaper cruises on P&O (which is NOW the new Butlins of the seas, with the demise of OV) ........ not that I know, I'm merely guessing........ just like you :rolleyes:

Do you know which brand is Carnival UK's Budget cruise line? :D

Well from what you have said I just hope you continue to sail OV, at least you will not be scruffy in my dinning room.............:D:D:D:D

I cannot think of anything scruffier than a cheap "penguin" suit!!!!

For the most part OV diners were a pretty smart lot, with many of the ladies making a special effort. Of course, with 1600 passengers on board there were some who did their own thing, but I would rather tolerate them than become one of the flock of sheep( I can't think of the collective noun for penguins).

I cannot think of anything scruffier than a cheap "penguin" suit!!!! I would rather tolerate them than become one of the flock of sheep( I can't think of the collective noun for penguins).

Is it a pomposity of penguins?

I believe the correct term is Creche, which is rather apt for the childish behaviour of some :eek:

Is it a pomposity of penguins?

I believe the correct term is Creche, which is rather apt for the childish behaviour of some :eek:

Hi Rosebaskets, I see you are a fellow Tyke which probably accounts for our dislike of any attempt to make us conform.;)The only sheep in Yorkshire are on farms.

I cannot think of anything scruffier than a cheap "penguin" suit!!!!

For the most part OV diners were a pretty smart lot, with many of the ladies making a special effort. Of course, with 1600 passengers on board there were some who did their own thing, but I would rather tolerate them than become one of the flock of sheep( I can't think of the collective noun for penguins).

I agree and cannot recall ever seeing anyone dressed in a vest or shorts dining in the evening on OV.

I also find it difficult to understand the hostile reaction of P & O cruisers to a simple question (mainly Smee) considering he/she has never set foot on OV.

I am looking forward to Saturday to see just how superior these people really are.:rolleyes:

I don't mind conforming, I just won't be made to do so :cool:

Incidentally, the trouble with P&O ships and the vast majority of passengers who sail on them is that by 11pm everyone goes to bed and the entertainment stops. The word "Disco" is more frequently used in the medical centre (Disc? Oh!) than in the bars.

If you have people back to your cabin your neighbours start to bang on the walls and ceilings if you are not quiet by 11.30pm.

They wake you up at 2am and again at 4am going to the toilet and then bang cups about at 6am while their partners slam the door on the way out to put the towels on the sunbeds:rolleyes:

Some passengers are still living in the 50's and operate on "old fashioned time" Breakfast at 7.30am Lunch at 12.30pm Dinner at 6.30pm Out of the Bars by 11pm. Move the daily quiz from inside to outside and there's a mutiny! Put cold plates out for breakfast and there's a queue of moaners.... How many of them warm their plates at home? I could go on!

Incidentally, the trouble with P&O ships and the vast majority of passengers who sail on them is that by 11pm everyone goes to bed and the entertainment stops. The word "Disco" is more frequently used in the medical centre (Disc? Oh!) than in the bars.

If you have people back to your cabin your neighbours start to bang on the walls and ceilings if you are not quiet by 11.30pm.

They wake you up at 2am and again at 4am going to the toilet and then bang cups about at 6am while their partners slam the door on the way out to put the towels on the sunbeds:rolleyes:

Obviously they need educating on how to relax and enjoy themselves, instead of being too interested in what someone is wearing or not as the case may be.

....... If kids are in the pool they moan, because they can't swim, but mention that the adults only pool is empty and they moan it's too cold.

At breakfast the sausages are too cold, too hot, too fat, too thin, too spicy, have no taste, The orange juice is watered down, got bits in, the glasses are too small, The eggs are too running or too hard, The porridge is too thin, the bacons too cold, too fatty, too crispy I could go on.......

Obviously they need educating on how to relax and enjoy themselves, instead of being too interested in what someone is wearing or not as the case may be.

There are standards among the formals too! The bitchiness of the women is really fun to listen to, they criticise others for being "too fat in that dress" or "how can they wear a dress like that, they look like a prostitute" or the "young generation have no style"

You'd think the men would all look like clones but they have a pecking order!

The ones in suits are critical of the ones dressed casually

The ones in black suits bitch about the the ones in coloured suits

The ones in Tux's comment on the scruffs who haven't bothered to dress or bring a tux.

The ones in tux's with black ties belittle anyone who wears a coloured bow tie, or a coloured waistcoat

Then if you're wearing a black tux, with a black bow tie the snobs look down their noses because it's a clip on bow tie.

So if you wear a Black tux, with a black bow tie and don't fasten it everyone comes up to you to ask if you can't be bothered to tie it or if it was too complicated or point out that it's just not polite to have your tie undone at the table.

So unless EVERYTHING is in order down to the white hankie in the brest pocket then you are not conforming.................. So when everything is right even down to the patient leather shoes, the snyde remarks start to fly......... "trying too hard" or "overdressed" or "I love your suit, did you spend all the money and your wife had to get something with what was left over" :eek:

So the moral is don't even bother because there's always someone out there ready to critise your dress, usually the ones that got their dresses from the 1920's debutant ball and are still using it today like a family heirloom!

Some passengers are still living in the 50's and operate on "old fashioned time" Breakfast at 7.30am Lunch at 12.30pm Dinner at 6.30pm Out of the Bars by 11pm. Move the daily quiz from inside to outside and there's a mutiny! Put cold plates out for breakfast and there's a queue of moaners.... How many of them warm their plates at home? I could go on!

Oh Rosie, you do make me laugh, I am always in bed before 11pm although I try so hard to stay awake longer, I would definitely bang on your walls if you woke me up, I do go to the toilet middle of the night (but only once), I have my meals at the time's you have stated and yes we have coffee around 6am but we dont reserve sunbeds at that time, we usually go and lay on them:)

Now, I am only 49 and have never been on a P&O before, been on OV, Thomson's and all the Airtours twice:)

I would be your worst nightmare!

But in my defence I have never complained about anything on a Ship and I cannot abide people moaning, a holiday is what you make it after all!!

I had better go and get ready for bed now, Goodnight ;)

Lynn

Archived