P&O Oceana vs Ocean Village

Longislandtea

Hello, Just back for the best ever Cruise on Ocean Village. Sadly she is going of to Aus soon and will be greatly missed.

We are thinking of going on Oceana next year and really do not want anything formal. Don't mind dressing up a bit, but not too often.

Has anyone been on OV and Oceana and how do the compare.

Many thanks

LIT.:)

We like cruises where people don't have to ask if jeans or shorts are OK in the dinning room, where people enjoy the life style of cruising and the general ambience of a good cruise ship................:D:D

No I must say I have avoided Butlins on the sea.............:eek:

I have been on Ocean Village 3 times. I have never been to Butlins but if a Butlins holiday was half as good as OV , I would book tomorrow.

P&O are trying to attract ex- OV customers like us(retired, plenty of disposable income etc.), but remarks such as yours serve only to perpetuate the myth that P&O cruisers are somehow superior beings to those of us that prefer the laid back holiday that OV provided.

I have not been on a P&O ship, but have been alongside Arcadia in Antigua(jan 2007).There was not a lot to distinguish between the people walking along the quayside from both ships except:

a) the average age of OV patrons was at least 10/15 years younger than those on Arcadia

b) This was reflected in the generally much smarter casual attire of the OV crowd.

I am, however, encouraged by the views of some of my fellow OV passengers who have been on both Oceana and Ventura and we make make the plunge this winter, despite the negative comments about the entertainment etc.

I the context you are using it, to is actually too, I rest my case.....:cool:

Smee, I have been on OV several times. The people that cruise on OV are easy going, polite, sociable and normally have a great sense of fun and adventure. They show respect and consideration to others while enjoying a great time packed full of interesting art, history and many different adventures.

They are normally busy people and may make the odd typing mistake. They are not petty and small minded.

I do hope you enjoy your cruise later this month, but I'm not really sure this type of holiday is suitable for you. Perhaps a Saga holiday may suit you better.

Kindest regards

LIT

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is actually an N next to the I. which makes the word in. I rest my case. Arrogance does not become you.

My mistake was a genuine keyboard error, yours is grammatically incorrect.

I enjoy cruising very much but it seems to me some people would be more comfortable with an all inclusive hotel in Benidorm......:D:eek:

We like cruises where people don't have to ask if jeans or shorts are OK in the dinning room, where people enjoy the life style of cruising and the general ambience of a good cruise ship................:D:D

That is the massive difference between us. We go on cruises to visit exotic places, using the ship as a base to relax on after a day ashore. We are not in the slightest bit interested in the "cruising lifestyle".The atmosphere on OV also suits our fun- loving lifestyle(we are 68 and 63 respectively).

I have no objection to dining next to someone in smart shirt and designer jeans( although I would draw the line at shorts), probably looking much smarter than someone dressed in a cheap penguin suit, which P&O patrons tell me I can get in Matalan, George etc. Not that I shop these outltets!!!

My mistake was a genuine keyboard error, yours is grammatically incorrect.

I enjoy cruising very much but it seems to me some people would be more comfortable with an all inclusive hotel in Benidorm......:D:eek:

As I have never visited Benidorm i cannot comment. My holidays pre cruising were far removed from a TV show. I have visited many interesting and cultural places including New York, Bahamas staying in the Atlantis. Which if you look up is far from a Butlins Holiday.

All I can say Smee is you really do not know anything about OV or the genuine and friendly people who travel with OV.

As for the difference between your mistake and mine who is to say it was not a typing mistake? You seem to have a superior attitude when in fact you do not know me or my lifestyle.

Happy sailing in your glass box.

That is the massive difference between us. We go on cruises to visit exotic places, using the ship as a base to relax on after a day ashore. We are not in the slightest bit interested in the "cruising lifestyle".The atmosphere on OV also suits our fun- loving lifestyle(we are 68 and 63 respectively).

I have no objection to dining next to someone in smart shirt and designer jeans( although I would draw the line at shorts), probably looking much smarter than someone dressed in a cheap penguin suit, which P&O patrons tell me I can get in Matalan, George etc. Not that I shop these outltets!!!

Hi Geecee1, I agree with you 100%. I'll start a new thread on 18th Sept. I believe Smee is cruising on Oceana at that time, hopefully we will get some sensible replies from true Cruise enthusiast.

:)

The big difference I feel is the 4* silver service restaurants on Oceana as opposed the the buffet diners on OV.

I would have thought that to fully appreciate the experience and out of respect to the fellow diners, everyone would wish to dress appropriately.

Cb

The big difference I feel is the 4* silver service restaurants on Oceana as opposed the the buffet diners on OV.

I would have thought that to fully appreciate the experience and out of respect to the fellow diners, everyone would wish to dress appropriately.

Cb

Thank you for the info. I do really enjoy the Bistro on OV and like to dress-up occasionally, but not all of the time. I do always change for dinner, but sometimes in smart jeans (no holes).

Kind regards

LIT

I think that people who cruise on P&O are elderly, Daily Mail readers who shop at Marks and Spencers, have no respect for others, no tollerance and have no idea of how to have fun.

I've absolutely no evidence to back this up, though I thought I'd use a common stereotype based on ignorance :rolleyes:

I think that people who cruise on P&O are elderly, Daily Mail readers who shop at Marks and Spencers, have no respect for others, no tollerance and have no idea of how to have fun.

I've absolutely no evidence to back this up, though I thought I'd use a common stereotype based on ignorance :rolleyes:

Ignorance is right.:mad:

I am 46 and have cruised for years.

I do not read tabloids and do shop sometimes at M&S:p

I am very tollerant and always enjoy my cruises:rolleyes:

I cruise because of what used to be the formality.

This is dying year on year.

The thought of jeans or shorts in the main dining rooms during dinner to me is totally unacceptable.

This will be my first cruise with P&O and quite frankly from what I have read it may be my last.

Like OV says its for people that don't do cruises well I hope P&O do not take on this saying.

Ignorance is right.:mad:

I am 46 and have cruised for years.

I do not read tabloids and do shop sometimes at M&S:p

I am very tollerant and always enjoy my cruises:rolleyes:

I cruise because of what used to be the formality.

This is dying year on year.

The thought of jeans or shorts in the main dining rooms during dinner to me is totally unacceptable.

This will be my first cruise with P&O and quite frankly from what I have read it may be my last.

Like OV says its for people that don't do cruises well I hope P&O do not take on this saying.

The comment was aimed at Smee, (s)he has made a judgement based on nothing more than hear say and gossip, of course I don't think all P&O passengers are like that (I'm one!) but what I DO object to is someone passsing judgement on something they know nothing about and haven't even tried. It's like a child saying they don't like something before they try it!

You enjoy cruising because of it's formality - most enjoy it because it's a holiday! The difference between formality and politeness is often a point of confusion, those who have been brought up in relatively formal circumstances often experience discomfort in less formal circumstances. Even though OV is less formal the passengers generally are more polite respectful and tollerant than those who sail on P&O. I base this on my experiences of both fleets.

Rosie,

I am travelling on P&O for the first time in March, I have cruised on OV and loved it, I dont read the Daily Mail choosing to get the news off the web, I am 49 and I admit on the odd occasion to shopping at Marks and Spencers :)

I know you are going on a P&O cruise in November as I have had a few conversations with you on your pre booking seat forum and I know you make comments tongue in cheek on occasion but my question to you is if you think Smee is doing the same?

I'm sure I have spoke to Smee on another topic and found him rather nice and helpful concerning some of my questions so I dont think he means to come across as being a snob

Just my opinion so please dont attack me! ;)

Enjoy your cruise

Regards.

Lynn

Hi I would like to say how sorry I am that O V is Going to Aus

but hope past O V passengers do not try to spoil Oceana’s cruising tradition. If you do not like the traditional type of cruising then there are other cruise lines to go on , May I suggest Island Escape book early on this you can get A1 no tipping etc, Carnival &, NCL are also FUN Ships. Jeans and casual dress have NO place in the silver service restaurants. I am so looking forward to our cruise on Oceana Panama Canal Feb 2011.This was booked yes for the itinerary but we also wanted the cruising experience that P&O is famous for. We have 2 more cruise’s booked before Oceana = RCI Splendour of the Sea Nov 10. & Thomson’s 21 Sept. I would like to add that even on Thomson we dress for dinner , the Gala Dinner is a joy with everyone in the Silver service restaurant dressed as should be men in Tux’s in the main, a smaller number in suits. As for cheap suits most men are as the women in good Quality attire .

I see that most of you who have been on OV say its fun I can not comment on this as I have never cruised on this type of ship, the only experience I encountered was

In Totola on one of our Caribbean cruise’s we were berthed next to O V .on the bus to Cane Garden Beach we were out numbered by O V. passengers all complaining about the price of drinks on board. On return to our ship we had a deck party just about everyone on OV were on deck looking over at us. Our entertainment staff called over and said We are having a great time all you on OV can do is just watch There was laughter from both ships, some of OV passengers called over is it ok if we jump ship and join you.

THOMSON DESTINY SEPT 2007 MED

THOMSON EMERALD JUNE2008 GREEK ISLANDS

THOMSON DESTINY JAN 2009 CARIBBEAN

THOMSON DESTINY JULY 2009 MED

THOMSON DETINY JAN 2010 CARIBBEAN

THOMSON DREAM SEPT 2010 MED

RCI SPLENDER IF THE SEA NOV 2010 [Venice ] Greece etc

P&O OCEANA FEB 2011 PANAMA CANAL.

Archived