P&O Oceana vs Ocean Village

Longislandtea

There are standards among the formals too! The bitchiness of the women is really fun to listen to, they criticise others for being "too fat in that dress" or "how can they wear a dress like that, they look like a prostitute" or the "young generation have no style"

You'd think the men would all look like clones but they have a pecking order!

The ones in suits are critical of the ones dressed casually

The ones in black suits bitch about the the ones in coloured suits

The ones in Tux's comment on the scruffs who haven't bothered to dress or bring a tux.

The ones in tux's with black ties belittle anyone who wears a coloured bow tie, or a coloured waistcoat

Then if you're wearing a black tux, with a black bow tie the snobs look down their noses because it's a clip on bow tie.

So if you wear a Black tux, with a black bow tie and don't fasten it everyone comes up to you to ask if you can't be bothered to tie it or if it was too complicated or point out that it's just not polite to have your tie undone at the table.

So unless EVERYTHING is in order down to the white hankie in the brest pocket then you are not conforming.................. So when everything is right even down to the patient leather shoes, the snyde remarks start to fly......... "trying too hard" or "overdressed" or "I love your suit, did you spend all the money and your wife had to get something with what was left over" :eek:

So the moral is don't even bother because there's always someone out there ready to critise your dress, usually the ones that got their dresses from the 1920's debutant ball and are still using it today like a family heirloom!

As a non conformist I can see I will fit in......:cool: I have no interest in what other people who I don't know or want to know think about me.:p Life is too short to bother with these self righteous, pompous people. I go away to enjoy myself and have every intention of doing so.:D

Oh Rosie, you do make me laugh, I am always in bed before 11pm although I try so hard to stay awake longer, I would definitely bang on your walls if you woke me up, I do go to the toilet middle of the night (but only once), I have my meals at the time's you have stated and yes we have coffee around 6am but we dont reserve sunbeds at that time, we usually go and lay on them:)

Now, I am only 49 and have never been on a P&O before, been on OV, Thomson's and all the Airtours twice:)

I would be your worst nightmare!

But in my defence I have never complained about anything on a Ship and I cannot abide people moaning, a holiday is what you make it after all!!

I had better go and get ready for bed now, Goodnight ;)

Lynn

You missed all the fun on OV and Thomsons, things only liven up after 11pm!

You go lay on sunbeds at 6am?...... I used to do that on my way home after a good night out :D

Surely you can't get a tan before 10am can you? I can't say that laying on a canvas (or worse plastic) sun lounger for 14 hours is the most comfortable thing in the world.

I do place my towel and book on a sunbed, My towel needs to dry and my book's on holiday too, it needs a rest and it needs the sun! I leave my reading glasses just at the side too and hope for a little bit of amusement mid afternoon when the sun hits the lens onto the book ...... it usually smoulders away and when someone goes to get a member of staff I nick their bed ........ what fun!:D

Anyway, night night, enjoy your cocoa, but don't spill it on your dressing gown or slippers and treat yourself to that one chocolate hobnob in the biscuit barrel, you deserve it!:p

I believe even in the Med Ventura and Oceana have 10 smart-casual and 4 Formal.
You may be right on this but I did read somewhere that Oceana is switching to the 4-4-6 nights - now that Ventura and Azura are doing the Caribbean.

Whilst some other bars and lounges allow people in on formal nights in different attire this is not the official P&O rule.
Yes it is. In the latest brochure it explicitly states that formal attire is not required in the buffet restaurant and selected bars (although it did not state which bars).

They should say a couple of "named" bars and the MDRs with a strict formal code and the rest including all the show lounges and theatres as smart casual or whatever you started the night in (which I think RCL also do)..
As above they do state 'selected' bars are informal but I agree they should name these. I would suggest that on the 4 formal nights the main show lounge and maybe even the Atrium area of the ship should be formal ... but possibly allow the secondary lounge to be informal (if it is an issue).

You missed all the fun on OV and Thomsons, things only liven up after 11pm!

You go lay on sunbeds at 6am?...... I used to do that on my way home after a good night out :D

Surely you can't get a tan before 10am can you? I can't say that laying on a canvas (or worse plastic) sun lounger for 14 hours is the most comfortable thing in the world.

I do place my towel and book on a sunbed, My towel needs to dry and my book's on holiday too, it needs a rest and it needs the sun! I leave my reading glasses just at the side too and hope for a little bit of amusement mid afternoon when the sun hits the lens onto the book ...... it usually smoulders away and when someone goes to get a member of staff I nick their bed ........ what fun!:D

Anyway, night night, enjoy your cocoa, but don't spill it on your dressing gown or slippers and treat yourself to that one chocolate hobnob in the biscuit barrel, you deserve it!:p

Sorry Rosie, I dont wear a dressing gown nor slippers, its flannelette pj's and fluffy socks for me:p

I am determined to stay up and "hit" the disco on this Cruise. ever since I was a teenager I have had early nights and up at the crack of dawn but seeing as the big 5 0 is approaching and my kids have flown the nest, maybe its time to change my ways:)

Have a great cruise!

Lynn

You may be right on this but I did read somewhere that Oceana is switching to the 4-4-6 nights - now that Ventura and Azura are doing the Caribbean.

Yes it is. In the latest brochure it explicitly states that formal attire is not required in the buffet restaurant and selected bars (although it did not state which bars).

As above they do state 'selected' bars are informal but I agree they should name these. I would suggest that on the 4 formal nights the main show lounge and maybe even the Atrium area of the ship should be formal ... but possibly allow the secondary lounge to be informal (if it is an issue).

Hi, so the brochure differs from P&O direct a couple of weeks ago..

Whilst the dress code is not always strictly enforced on board, you will find that it is expected that the main dining rooms and all public areas will adhere to this code. The ships staff do have the right to request that any passengers inappropriately attired vacate any of the dining rooms/public areas. We would therefore ask that all passengers dress appropriately for the dress code of that evening whilst in the public areas, other than the 24 dining venue.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and look forward to welcoming you on board in the future.

Kind regards

Kat Tupper

P&O Cruises

Customer Solutions

Carnival UK

It was based on this direct info that I'm booking IOS to Canaries rather than Ventura.

It was based on this direct info that I'm booking IOS to Canaries rather than Ventura.

The latest brochure March 2011-March 2012 First edition says, on page 30

"Formal wear .... applies to all restaurants with the exception of buffet restaurants and certain bars"

It is possible that the call centres are not adopting this policy until March 2011, however, as many people have posted on this site, the use of the buffet restaurants on formal night by people not wishing to participate in the formal atmosphere is already being done.

Did OV2 for our first cruise last year in the Eastern Med and had a great holiday. Just returned from our first P&O cruise on Oceana and yet again we had a great holiday. For us the Oceana was just that extra bit more special and found that Feedom Dining suited us great. Must admit, we didn't think that the Marco Pierre White or Horizen Grill were anywhere near as good as The Bistro! We enjoyed the formal nights, but some nights after a long day out we were happy to eat in the Plaza and then crash out!

To be honest we loved both ships and met lots of people who had been on both. If someone offered me a free cruise on either I'd jump at the chance!

Did OV2 for our first cruise last year in the Eastern Med and had a great holiday. Just returned from our first P&O cruise on Oceana and yet again we had a great holiday. For us the Oceana was just that extra bit more special and found that Feedom Dining suited us great. Must admit, we didn't think that the Marco Pierre White or Horizen Grill were anywhere near as good as The Bistro! We enjoyed the formal nights, but some nights after a long day out we were happy to eat in the Plaza and then crash out!

To be honest we loved both ships and met lots of people who had been on both. If someone offered me a free cruise on either I'd jump at the chance!

You are like a breath of fresh air on this thread. A simple genuine question was asked by Longislandtea and there has been nothing more than sarcastic pompeous remarks.

I have been on both the OV ships and loved every minute.

I will be on Oceana on the 18th and after your reply I feel we have made a good choice.

Thank-you.:)

Can someone tell me how you get to the 24hr dining room without accessing public areas?

P&O are being duplicitous as usual as they try to fill vacant cabins. Pre Christmas prices on Ventura are significantly less than we have paid on the "loss making" OV ships.

As a former marketing man, someone needs to get a grip at P&O and sort out the mixed messages that are turning people like Craig and ourselves away.

Perhaps they could take a tip from the UK fine dining market, which, according to a recently published survey of the top 100 UK restaurants, only one insists on "formal attire".

In a competitive market. I would be more interested in the client's ability to pay rather than what he chose to wear in the dining room.

Can someone tell me how you get to the 24hr dining room without accessing public areas?

P&O are being duplicitous as usual as they try to fill vacant cabins. Pre Christmas prices on Ventura are significantly less than we have paid on the "loss making" OV ships.

As a former marketing man, someone needs to get a grip at P&O and sort out the mixed messages that are turning people like Craig and ourselves away.

Perhaps they could take a tip from the UK fine dining market, which, according to a recently published survey of the top 100 UK restaurants, only one insists on "formal attire".

In a competitive market. I would be more interested in the client's ability to pay rather than what he chose to wear in the dining room.

My sentiments exactly Geecee.

I saw the results of that survey and I believe the only Fine Dining establishment requiring formal attire is the Ritz. Sort of says everything I think.

I have met some very interesting and well mannered people on OV who holiday to rest and recoup ready to go back to their jobs many of whom have their own business.

why cant these middle aged rebels who have just bought their first pair of jeans and now discover they feel like james dean and must have the attitude, so the most daring thing they can think of doing is refusing to wear formal attire. I myself and many of my cruising friends here in the south feel they should be confined to their cabins on formal nights with burgers and hot dogs brought to them by room service :D

why cant these middle aged rebels who have just bought their first pair of jeans and now discover they feel like james dean and must have the attitude, so the most daring thing they can think of doing is refusing to wear formal attire. I myself and many of my cruising friends here in the south feel they should be confined to their cabins on formal nights with burgers and hot dogs brought to them by room service :D

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your insightful views and I look forward to your perspicatious contributions in the future :D

It's not often we get sagacious and astute opinions such as yours from people in the south :rolleyes:

God help P&O...

Looks like its going to turn into the new series of Benidorm and Rosebasket is going to be Madge:D

Lets just turn it into a right northern Working Mens Club....all inclusive and If ya wonna get pissed show us your wrist attitude.:p

God help P&O...

Looks like its going to turn into the new series of Benidorm and Rosebasket is going to be Madge:D

Lets just turn it into a right northern Working Mens Club....all inclusive and If ya wonna get pissed show us your wrist attitude.:p

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago (assuming he can understand it with a potty mouth like that!):rolleyes:

I never thought I would have so many responses. Great Fun. Roseb. you have had me in stiches and so has Butterflytiger. Smee - I noticed you have never been on Ocean Village or a P&O cruise yet. I can wait to see your review when you get back and do hope you bump into Butterflytigger. hahahahah.....

My suggestion is that all the ex OV'ers book on Oceana and wear vests and shorts (designer) for the formal nights. Maybe drink beer from a bottle. :eek:

I never thought I would have so many responses. Great Fun. Roseb. you have had me in stiches and so has Butterflytiger. Smee - I noticed you have never been on Ocean Village or a P&O cruise yet. I can wait to see your review when you get back and do hope you bump into Butterflytigger. hahahahah.....

My suggestion is that all the ex OV'ers book on Oceana and wear vests and shorts (designer) for the formal nights. Maybe drink beer from a bottle. :eek:

Longislandtea, you have had me in stitches reading this response.

I am sure Smee will point out you typed can instead of can't. :D

Oh and don't forget the hairy armpits.:p

I cannot believe you asked a question and got all these very interesting replies.

I am looking forward to Saturday and am sure I will bump into Smee.:cool:

Well I'm going on Ventura in October and will not be wearing a suit of any description. In fact I no longer own one. Work is smart/casual i.e. shirt and trousers. On board this will be the smartest I will be and I will venture into every bar and dining area. Will let you know whether I get kicked out of any:D

Well I'm going on Ventura in October and will not be wearing a suit of any description. In fact I no longer own one. Work is smart/casual i.e. shirt and trousers. On board this will be the smartest I will be and I will venture into every bar and dining area. Will let you know whether I get kicked out of any:D

I'm going to get you kicked off my cruise! :mad: :D

On board this will be the smartest I will be and I will venture into every bar and dining area. Will let you know whether I get kicked out of any:D

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Or close the wall up with our English dead!

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man

As modest stillness and humility:

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,

Then imitate the action of the tiger;

Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,

Disguise fair nature with hard-favoured rage;

Then lend the eye a terrible aspect.

Onward, onward faire Kight

Never Surrender!:D

Hi Skewbald. I guess you farmers like an oppertunity to dust off the old tux. :p

Thought I had better warn anyone on Azura next week, that we will be going on our first P&O cruise. Have not cruised on OV but have been on the Island Escape, and I have the complete set of Benidorm on DVD.

We have bought suitable attire for the formal and semi formal nights, but my husband's dinner suit cost less than his shirt, cumberbund and bow tie. I will also need to wear magic knickers most evenings. I only mention this in view of the opinions already expressed on this thread

Will we fit in I wonder. We are still determined to enjoy ourselves, as we did on the Island Escape in March!

Lizzie

Thought I had better warn anyone on Azura next week, that we will be going on our first P&O cruise. Have not cruised on OV but have been on the Island Escape, and I have the complete set of Benidorm on DVD.

We have bought suitable attire for the formal and semi formal nights, but my husband's dinner suit cost less than his shirt, cumberbund and bow tie. I will also need to wear magic knickers most evenings. I only mention this in view of the opinions already expressed on this thread

Will we fit in I wonder. We are still determined to enjoy ourselves, as we did on the Island Escape in March!

Lizzie

LOL at the magic knickers. :D

Archived