P&O Oceana vs Ocean Village

Longislandtea

Well I'm going on Ventura in October and will not be wearing a suit of any description. In fact I no longer own one. Work is smart/casual i.e. shirt and trousers. On board this will be the smartest I will be and I will venture into every bar and dining area. Will let you know whether I get kicked out of any:D

Go for it Andy.

I am on Oceana this Saturday and have no intention of packing the Tiara.:D

Thank you for your welcome longislandtea. I assume you are not a true Londoner and more likely to be an ex island escape/ thomson cruiser who is now seeking a bit of respectability for yourself and want to join the more upmarket P&O elite. We in my neck of the woods are brought up on manners etiquette and above all respect for our fellow P&O cruisers this is something you must learn if you want to successfully ingratiate your self with you fellow cruiser. What will happen if this trend of informality continues is that requests will be put to P&O requesting that these people who fail to respect the wishes of the large majority who dress for formal nights should be segragated to the back of the ship or perhaps to much to ask be confined below decks:D

What will happen if this trend of informality continues is that requests will be put to P&O requesting that these people who fail to respect the wishes of the large majority who dress for formal nights should be segragated to the back of the ship or perhaps to much to ask be confined below decks:D

Once you've put your request in to P&O they will open it, read it, file it, sit on the fence and try to be all things to all men and nothing will become of it............ THAT'S the P&O way. Too well mannered and far too nice to upset anyone and do ANYTHING that might rock the boat ;)

Thank you for your welcome longislandtea. I assume you are not a true Londoner and more likely to be an ex island escape/ thomson cruiser who is now seeking a bit of respectability for yourself and want to join the more upmarket P&O elite. We in my neck of the woods are brought up on manners etiquette and above all respect for our fellow P&O cruisers this is something you must learn if you want to successfully ingratiate your self with you fellow cruiser. What will happen if this trend of informality continues is that requests will be put to P&O requesting that these people who fail to respect the wishes of the large majority who dress for formal nights should be segragated to the back of the ship or perhaps to much to ask be confined below decks:D

Oh deary me, I do hope Longislandtea reads your reply as I know for a fact she is from London. West London in fact.:D

Once you've put your request in to P&O they will open it, read it, file it, sit on the fence and try to be all things to all men and nothing will become of it............ THAT'S the P&O way. Too well mannered and far too nice to upset anyone and do ANYTHING that might rock the boat ;)

No it will be even more basic. Does the passenger own a credit/debit card? and are they spending money onboard in the bars?

If yes, welcome onboard..

What will happen if this trend of informality continues is that requests will be put to P&O requesting that these people who fail to respect the wishes of the large majority who dress for formal nights should be segragated to the back of the ship or perhaps to much to ask be confined below decks:D

But where would you put the smokers:confused:

I'm guessing that my mankini and crocs would not be suitable lunchtime attire

But where would you put the smokers:confused:

I'm guessing that my mankini and crocs would not be suitable lunchtime attire

:eek: :( I knew I should have stuck with Princess!

Dear P&O,

An extra £1,000 OBC should just about cover the stress caused by inappropriately dressed newbie cruisers.

Thanks x

You are like a breath of fresh air on this thread. A simple genuine question was asked by Longislandtea and there has been nothing more than sarcastic pompeous remarks.

I have been on both the OV ships and loved every minute.

I will be on Oceana on the 18th and after your reply I feel we have made a good choice.

Thank-you.:)

Thanks - I can't stand the posts that turn into 'us and them' ---- we're in both camps and so are lots of Oceana / OV cruisers. Have a fabulous cruise and stuff what anyone thinks and make it YOUR holiday ! We did the posh, the not posh and the 'inbetween' on the OV and the Oceana and loved every single minute of both --------------

Have a fantastic holiday ------ ;) She is a lovely ship and I'm sure you will be pleased.

Am sorry to add though ------ I wish OV folk would stop moaning about having to do formal nights etc --------- its like P&O folk who go on OV and moan about it being too informal !!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH -----"I will not get dragged in ....I will not get dragged in ...... I will not ......"

Andy 11 in answer to your question i do find cigarrette smokers and lager drinkers unacceptable when im cruising but find smokers of cigars and a person who appreciates fine spirits very agreeable and i am definatley not a snob in fact im a very nice person i like myself very much and wish everyone else could be like me

Dear Skewbald,

Thank you for your response, I really enjoy reading peoples comments and am continually amused by their assumptions. P&O are in a similar trade to you, "Livestock" and like you the assumptions of their marketeers are 100% wrong. Ex OV passengers are well educated, polite and do enjoy formality, but as and when they choose. They are not keen on a ship that has limited Port days, they do like to be active and up and about to see new places with a new adventure each day. They do not like laying about all the time on a Sunbed looking like extras on the TV program "Waiting for God".

I have cruised on OV since its conception, I enjoy the informality of causal cruising and a smaller ship where everyone knows your name. P&O are certainly not a company that provides cruises for the elite. This is very apparent by the comments made by some of their past passengers and those claiming to be passengers.

It really saddens me to think there are still people that live in a modern and privileged society that feel "Clothes" make a person. OV'er will be cruising on Oceana and Ventura and will dress as individuals with real personality.

I don't like smoking, but it is an individuals choice, if the want to smoke, its fine by me, but would be happier if they could do it somewhere else. Love Beer and Champagne, have also been know to do a little bit of fishing. Can't wait to see Craig in his Manikini and crocs.

Happy Cruising

LIT.;):D:rolleyes:

Dear Skewbald,

Thank you for your response, I really enjoy reading peoples comments and am continually amused by their assumptions. P&O are in a similar trade to you, "Livestock" and like you the assumptions of their marketeers are 100% wrong. Ex OV passengers are well educated, polite and do enjoy formality, but as and when they choose. They are not keen on a ship that has limited Port days, they do like to be active and up and about to see new places with a new adventure each day. They do not like laying about all the time on a Sunbed looking like extras on the TV program "Waiting for God".

I have cruised on OV since its conception, I enjoy the informality of causal cruising and a smaller ship where everyone knows your name. P&O are certainly not a company that provides cruises for the elite. This is very apparent by the comments made by some of their past passengers and those claiming to be passengers.

It really saddens me to think there are still people that live in a modern and privileged society that feel "Clothes" make a person. OV'er will be cruising on Oceana and Ventura and will dress as individuals with real personality.

I don't like smoking, but it is an individuals choice, if the want to smoke, its fine by me, but would be happier if they could do it somewhere else. Love Beer and Champagne, have also been know to do a little bit of fishing. Can't wait to see Craig in his Manikini and crocs.

Happy Cruising

LIT.;):D:rolleyes:

Well said, Longislandtea. I am with you, Craig, Presto et al. in that I am prepared to live and let live. We are considering P&O or Antigua this winter and leaning towards the latter, where I feel there will be fewer "middle englanders" telling me what I should wear.

I, too, like some lagers, am partial to a decent bottle of wine and do not particularly enjoy people smoking in enclosed spaces.

Craig in his mankini and crocs, now there is a sight for sore eyes!!!

Well said, Longislandtea. I am with you, Craig, Presto et al. in that I am prepared to live and let live. We are considering P&O or Antigua this winter and leaning towards the latter, where I feel there will be fewer "middle englanders" telling me what I should wear.

I, too, like some lagers, am partial to a decent bottle of wine and do not particularly enjoy people smoking in enclosed spaces.

P.S Off to Cyprus for two weeks on 15th(tomorrow).Looking forward to logging in when I get back.

Thanks - I can't stand the posts that turn into 'us and them' ---- we're in both camps and so are lots of Oceana / OV cruisers. Have a fabulous cruise and stuff what anyone thinks and make it YOUR holiday ! We did the posh, the not posh and the 'inbetween' on the OV and the Oceana and loved every single minute of both --------------

Have a fantastic holiday ------ ;) She is a lovely ship and I'm sure you will be pleased.

Am sorry to add though ------ I wish OV folk would stop moaning about having to do formal nights etc --------- its like P&O folk who go on OV and moan about it being too informal !!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH -----"I will not get dragged in ....I will not get dragged in ...... I will not ......"

We are not moaning about having to do formal, we are moaning about being told when to do it and how.....

Whats this about a mankini? :eek: I think that was Andy11 who said that..

As I've said all along I have no problems with people who want to do formal nights, then fine. If the cruise line defines that this is the case, equally fine, I'll abide by the rules.

What I do hate is this constant referral of people who dress differently = less intellegence or socio-eco group. Comments like "don't make the effort" when referring to dressing up is fun. By inference it implies someone on a relaxing holiday has to expend energy to "make an effort".

What I also hate is the constant marketting campaign by P&O advertising the ships as informal.

http://www.oceanvillageholidays.co.uk/PO-Cruises.aspx

Take a look at the lighter side of

P&O Cruises

P&O Cruises have been sailing the world’s oceans for over 170 years and during that time we’ve come to know and love the world’s most iconic destinations. Voted Britain’s favourite cruise line, P&O Cruises have 7 ships to choose from, but if you've enjoyed the relaxed and informal world of Ocean Village it's probably Ventura or Oceana that would suit you best. Both ships are fun-loving and family friendly and come packed with great facilities like sparkling pools, fizzing hot-tubs, gorgeous spas and sea-view gyms. Plus there are sports courts, golf simulators and - for the kids - bungee trampolines and even a Rock School!

At no point in the blurb does it mention formal nights.

Anyhow, there are other non-formal alternatives out there, and I'll be doing RCL and NCL until P&O make a more definite decision.

I suppose, not having been on either OV or P&O (yet) I shouldn't even be in this thread. :o

I was very worried about the dress code on my first cruise (Princess) and spent hours agonising about what would be considered acceptable on formal nights. I was pleasantly surprised to find it really is up to the individual to enjoy whatever style of cruise and clothes they desire, on whichever cruiseline they choose. It's very easy to avoid the formality if you wish to.

We attended 2 formals just to see what all the fuss was about, and have to admit it was definitely a different atmosphere in a nice way. We then chose the buffet with new friends on the 3rd formal night and had a great time. Next cruise we booked the speciality restaurants on formal nights.

Many of the formal diners change after dinner, so I don't see how the bars could be out of bounds, unless P&O is more vigilant with the dress code than Princess. I'll soon find out next month :)

As long as P&O keep putting out mixed messages this debate will go on and on. We want to give P&O a try but when it comes down to parting with money the alarm bells ring, maybe it's the mixed messages, maybe it's the attitude of some posters on here, maybe it's the worry that P&O are filling up their ships with chavs on last minute bargain basement deals. We are just the sort of passengers P&O should be retaining from OV but it would appear they are struggling to retain us despite lots of marketing pushed in our direction.

We have tried Princess and loved it (even the 3 formal nights out of 14), we are about to book with them again and also want to give NCL & RCL a try but we still have big reservations about P&O as do many other ex OV passengers.

Quote...give NCL & RCL a try.

I am a regular cruiser on RCL and find them VERY formal.

80% adhere to the formal nights so I would not think this was a good alternative.

American cruises on RCL make a big effort on these nights.

Remember if you want to use the speciality resturants you must be dressed for the occasion.

Most cruise lines ave done away with the semi formal nights

ie..

Formal-Tux

Semi formal-suit or sports jacket with collared shirt.

Smart casual -chinos with polo or collared shirt.

sandbox,

Are men's lounge suits acceptable in the speciality restaurants on formal nights?

Yes no problem.

You will usually find the speciality resturants a little quite on formal nights as the main resturants usually have the best steaks and if you lucky Lobster on these nights.

Tip.... if they do have the steak and lobster on these nights order both-this is not a problem and so many do.

Higly recommend all speciality resturants on RCL.

Quote...give NCL & RCL a try.

I am a regular cruiser on RCL and find them VERY formal.

80% adhere to the formal nights so I would not think this was a good alternative.

American cruises on RCL make a big effort on these nights.

Remember if you want to use the speciality resturants you must be dressed for the occasion.

Most cruise lines ave done away with the semi formal nights

ie..

Formal-Tux

Semi formal-suit or sports jacket with collared shirt.

Smart casual -chinos with polo or collared shirt.

You miss the point, it's the mixed messages being put out that do not help P&O - on one hand they are saying come along we have 2 ships with casual alternatives on formal nights and on the other hand they are saying that you will be under virtual house arrest and be restricted to your cabin if you dont want to partake in formal dress.

Until P&O clear up this discrepancy the debate will go on, surely an unambiguous policy is in the interests of all unless of course it's a fudge intended to deceive all into thinking P&O is all things to all people.

You miss the point, it's the mixed messages being put out that do not help P&O - on one hand they are saying come along we have 2 ships with casual alternatives on formal nights and on the other hand they are saying that you will be under virtual house arrest and be restricted to your cabin if you dont want to partake in formal dress.

Until P&O clear up this discrepancy the debate will go on, surely an unambiguous policy is in the interests of all unless of course it's a fudge intended to deceive all into thinking P&O is all things to all people.

Just giving you my opinion as you mentioned RCL.

I have traveled on 6 different cruise lines and found the majority do adhere to the formal nights.

This is my first time cruising with P&O so looking forward to see how it pans out.

I booked P&O mostly for the destinations this time.

If I find it to casual I will look somewhere else "simples"

Archived