Mercury being sold

january56

I have been considering a Mercury cruise in late October -- have very fond memories of that ship -- but noted that it is being sold and its last cruise as a Celebrity ship will be in February. I've seen some really good deals.

I'm a little leery because I made the mistake about five years ago of taking the very last cruise on the Horizon, and it was extremely disappointing -- ran out of some food items, waiters seemed upset, captain even seemed upset and didn't attend a function he was supposed to host. So I hope that if I do take a Mercury cruise, Celebrity will maintain its usual high standards.

We also did one of the last Galaxy sailings. We did not experience any decline in service or hospitality. Most of the crew we spoke to were excited about their new assignments and pleased that so many of us came back to say goodbye to the Galaxy. I think you'll be fine.

Sorry to hear the Baltimore is losing the Mercury. We considered the possibility of flying home (born & raised on Belair Rd, Hon) and a T/A back here.

FYI - Galary is now the TUI Mein Schiff. We have looked into their Canary Island itinerary to what they've done to our old girl.

We did the second to last sailing on the Zenith. Had no issues. Did a sailing on the Infinity last year. By the last day, they had run out of several things. The morning of disembarcation, breakfast in the dining room was a joke. I couldn't get anything I asked for. It was all gone.

We're sailing on the Mercury's Oct. 18th sailing, I have no worries about them running out of anything.

I think you will be fine. I am on Mercury in Oct. and her last cruise in Feb. and am thinking about adding Nov. also.

The standards for which Celebrity is known, such as service, should be as usual. The crew will be going to different ships and will want to please and receive good comments.

And if the cruise director is Stewart, he will see that the ship is a fun place to be. He is wonderful.

Anne

WOW Why do you feel that way ? What happened.? We were on one of the sick cruises the end of Feb . but I still loved the ship . We thought the food in the mdr was very good . Couldn't have had better service. Everyone seems to have different experiances . Too bad .We are going back on the end of Feb. Expect to have a good time .

Diane Cruisecluestoo

Mercury was our first Celebrity experience when we cruised in '97 - just amonth after her inaugural. we've cruised on her twice more with the last in Oct '07 and loved it. We have the 20 Nov 10 Thanksgiving cruise booked (well final payment was this week so it's not just 'booked' now!) with our kids and frieinds, and expect it to be just as high quality as we've received on the M-Class and S-Class cruises.

Each of us have varying experiences, and I'd not writeup BridgeMaven's opinon at all, but our personal experience has been very positive, and if you concern is over Mercury being sold and the quality of service suffering, I'd think not. I'm not able to predict the future, just give it a guess based on personal experiences.

And there are great deals on the Mercury so give it some thought. Funny on cruise lines handle these types of isses. Cruise West (cruised with them once on a short San Francisco Bay Wine Cruise and it was fine), sold one of their ships right from under their passengers. Weird.

Denny

As experienced Celebrity cruisers know that the older ships are being sold to make way for the new "S" class ships & that is a good thing .After 47 cruises we have found that it is best to check the cruise reviews of past passengers & in general to avoid the older ships ,due to age problems croping up . Thus ,we will not sail Mercury or Century because the odds of some thing happening are greater than in the newer ships . Even Millie ,Infiniti & Summit are getting up there in age ;but ,not nearly as bad as Mercury & Century . JMHO

We also did one of the last Galaxy sailings. We did not experience any decline in service or hospitality. Most of the crew we spoke to were excited about their new assignments and pleased that so many of us came back to say goodbye to the Galaxy. I think you'll be fine.

Sorry to hear the Baltimore is losing the Mercury. We considered the possibility of flying home (born & raised on Belair Rd, Hon) and a T/A back here.

FYI - Galary is now the TUI Mein Schiff. We have looked into their Canary Island itinerary to what they've done to our old girl.

Don't you mean "Blair Rd., Hon?";) Sorry, but that little phrase in your post ABSOLUTELY caught my eye! I'm an old Hamilton/Gardenville girl myself. My husband & I will be on the Mercury Oct 1-18th for a Panama Canal cruise. We've only started cruising recently ('07) & fell in love with Mercury last Nov. on a cruise to the Bahamas. We were ecstatic that Celebrity was cruising out of Baltimore. So what did they do? Sold Mercury & reassigned Century to Hawaii & Australia!:( We are NOT happy campers!

I'd be interested to hear how things have worked out for the former Galaxy. Hope you do, indeed, get to sail on her again. Annie

That's where Mercury's going (TUI), too, I believe.

RCCL is part owner of this German line. Unfortunately, they do not offer any amenities in English - excursions, announcements, etc. I speak some German - Ich lernen - but not enough to fully function in this environment.

As they acquire more ships, maybe they will extend their language options to include English. Everyone here speaks it and it will extend their sales base beyond Germany.

Cross fingers for us.

Don't you mean "Blair Rd.' date=' Hon?";) Sorry, but that little phrase in your post ABSOLUTELY caught my eye! I'm an old Hamilton/Gardenville girl myself. My husband & I will be on the Mercury Oct 1-18th for a Panama Canal cruise. We've only started cruising recently ('07) & fell in love with Mercury last Nov. on a cruise to the Bahamas. We were ecstatic that Celebrity was cruising out of Baltimore. So what did they do? Sold Mercury & reassigned Century to Hawaii & Australia!:( We are NOT happy campers!

I'd be interested to hear how things have worked out for the former Galaxy. Hope you do, indeed, get to sail on her again. Annie[/quote']

Sorry, guess I'm losing some of my accent. lol

Born in Grandpop's house at Belair & Fullerton. Lived in Overlea, at the end of the old #15 loop. Gardenville, between Frankfurt & Hamilton Aves, and on Old Harford. Before moving to Germany we lived in AA Co.

You will love the Panama Canal cruise. It's absolutely amazing. Get up and out on the front deck early. We took the smaller boat to the Pacific end, a great relaxing day. Didn't want to say we went half way through the Panama canal lol

Is Baltimore keeping any cruise ships?

We will be on the Oct. 29, Nov. 29, and the last Mercury sailing with X on Feb. 14. We are considering booking January 3rd too because of the good deals. We aren't worried and expect the same level of food & service we always get with Celebrity (18 X cruises since 2002 on 5 different X ships). But then again we were on the last sailing on the Galaxy, which was our favorite ship, when Celebrity staff kept the same excellent standards they had on previous Galaxy sailings.

Anne (cruiseacecat) and a few more of us have even picked out our crew for the last sailing to make sure we get the same great service. ;) Now we have to get Celebrity's buy-in on our plan. lol.

Anne (cruiseacecat): Which November cruise are you thinking about? We are on the November 29th cruise as you can see above (plus Oct. 29 & Feb. 14th).

Cheryl & Luc: No, Celebrity does not have any plans to keep a ship in Baltimore. RCI has Enchantment of the Seas and Grandeur of the Seas in Baltimore, however.

Kathy

Yes we did our second Galaxy cruise in August 2008 when she was on countdown to sell-off, and the usual high standards of service were still very much in evidence, and as a ship, though she was showing her age a bit in the nooks and crannies, was still being lovingly cared for.

A few times we saw a team of (I guess) interior designers etc with tape measures and clip boards obviously weighing up the public areas and planning what they were going to do with her in converting her to her new identity.

We tried Azamara Quest last year and loved it, and we've just booked the Equinox for next April, so we're still very much Celebrity fans. (though we DID go Ruby Princess this year:))

Archived