Business Must Really Be Bad?

Gaucho39

My first cruise was in 1994 on the old Ms. New Amsterdam. I think the food has taken a dive. It's still good but everything was so wonderful then. Or, maybe I as awestruck. Not sure but the elegance is certainly not there. I still love HAL but things change with the times.

Our first cruise was on the HAL Rotterdam V in 1969. We had minimum rate inside room (bunk beds and a shower hose over the "throne"). We paid $195 each for 7 days to Nassau, Freeport, and Bermuda round trip NYC (we lived in the greater NY area, so there was no additional airfare charges). The dining room had "French Service" where the waiters wore white gloves and served your empty plates from their silver service platters. We had flambees made by the dining room stewards at each dinner service. Of course, the Baked Alaska parade had "real" flames.

Ahhhh, the memories.

You're so right, Ahhh, the memories.

I remember when the steward would pass a silver tray with a selection of fresh steamed vegetables and serve each of us, the flambed desserts every night. DH used to love the cherries jubliee, crepes suzette, whichever flamed dessert they were doing tableside. And remember the large tray of French Pastries they passed with Eclairs, Napoleans etc Oh my goodness, they were soooo good.

Certainly don't see anything like that anymore.

Could the lack of Flambes be the result of the US Coast Guard making new maritime laws/regulations mandatory or whatever?? Just like we no longer do the Life Boat Drills with the Life Vests anymore (which I am still against!!!)

Maybe a fire or two had the regulations change....

I am glad there is not a band in the Crow's Nest. I prefer soft music to loud noise and disturbance there as I love to just sit and relax in the Crow's Nest. If I want a band or DJ I will go to one of the bars or the Nightclub on board.

Could the food changes be because of the Head Chef in charge of the HAL menus??

There are so many Could it Be Because of.....

Blaming the economy or cost cutting is, in my opinion, wrong. I think it is the times we are now living in and the cruise lies, all of them, trying to accomodate everyone.

Joanie

You're so right, Ahhh, the memories.

I remember when the steward would pass a silver tray with a selection of fresh steamed vegetables and serve each of us, the flambed desserts every night. DH used to love the cherries jubliee, crepes suzette, whichever flamed dessert they were doing tableside. And remember the large tray of French Pastries they passed with Eclairs, Napoleans etc Oh my goodness, they were soooo good.

Certainly don't see anything like that anymore.

Yes that was neat, on Westerdam in the 90's they were doing this,

Do you care for some brussel sprouts, Yes please!!!

and the violinist would perform tableside

Of course times have changed, but Yeah I would like to pay more and experience this kind of service, but dont want to pay 1000.00 per day either. Ah the memories!!!! At least I still have them, cant ever forget those great dinners, although we still loved our last cruise in 2009.

Isn't part of the issue of lower prices the increasing number of ships avilable to the consumer? More and larger ships have lower prices. HAL is trying to compete?

Probably doesn't help matters. Certainly launching 5,400 passenger ships like the Oasis of the Seas certainly has some impact, that's like 3 or 4 of HAL's smaller ships. :eek: Yes, they're not exactly after the same demographic but still.

Maybe I'm imagining it but it seems to me, HAL will have fewer cruises to the Caribbean in 2011 than in 2010 and I suspect even fewer going forward from there. They seem to be trying hard to get the higher per diems for as much of the year as they can on Alaska, Canada/New England and Europe itineraries.

They just put in the October 28, 2011 Maasdam itinerary sailing 45 (?) days from FLL roundtrip Europe with stops in Italy, Spain etc Gorgeous itinerary but most unusual for HAL to be heading to Europe end of October and returning to FLL middle of December. Has to be an experiment to see how well they can sell it.

Higher per diems possible than in the Caribbean.......

Maybe I'm imagining it but it seems to me, HAL will have fewer cruises to the Caribbean in 2011 than in 2010 and I suspect even fewer going forward from there. They seem to be trying hard to get the higher per diems for as much of the year as they can on Alaska, Canada/New England and Europe itineraries.

They just put in the October 28, 2011 Maasdam itinerary sailing 45 (?) days from FLL roundtrip Europe with stops in Italy, Spain etc Gorgeous itinerary but most unusual for HAL to be heading to Europe end of October and returning to FLL middle of December. Has to be an experiment to see how well they can sell it.

Higher per diems possible than in the Caribbean.......

Except HAL per diems are going down in the Caribbean for 2011 especially through the end of February which pretty much is the heart of the Caribbean season. No doubt HAL, and every other cruise line, is looking to move assets but that's probably easier said than done especially for the winter season as there aren't a whole lot of alternatives. As for Europe and next year, well we've been getting some very good offers. We've gotten a couple of mailings from Seaborne that are pretty substantial discounts, so much so it's on our research list with more than just passing interest. As I've said in other threads we have a friend who is the leading TA in a local agency and their future cruising bookings are down 30%+ from last year. It's apparently not just an agency problem as she said they've never been visited as much as they have recently by the regional sales reps for almost all the major cruise lines. Lots of encouragement and incentives to boast sales.

HAL is now "competing" with Princess in Asia and Australia/New Zealand, the Panama Canal, and South America. The Volendam spends a majority of it's time in Australia. Remember, winter in the Northern Hemisphere is Summer in the Southern Hemisphere.

The Caribbean cruises are so "commercial" and all the islands are "the same". Best port in the Caribbean is their private island!!! I think HAL realizes that their passengers are not the party goers of the 7 day Caribbean cruises.

Archived