Fan Confiscated - Carnival still hasn't properly informed all of thier own!

Tom-n-Cheryl

I know this Sheryl would be fit to be tied if they confiscate my curling and flat irons on the Dream in December. Yes, I do need both. Without them I would be a Don King look alike. As I posted in another thread, just how much money would Carnival make off of me on photos and especially on elegant night? Zero, zippo, nada, zilch!

Got that, Carnival? Nothing!

I know this Sheryl would be fit to be tied if they confiscate my curling and flat irons on the Dream in December. Yes, I do need both. Without them I would be a Don King look alike. As I posted in another thread, just how much money would Carnival make off of me on photos and especially on elegant night? Zero, zippo, nada, zilch!

Got that, Carnival? Nothing!

I don't even know what a flat iron is. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this keeps being an issue. :confused:

I don't even know what a flat iron is. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this keeps being an issue. :confused:

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

I don't think that they want you using these items IN THE SHOWER... lol

Tom

Having been a former snipe aboard a coast guard cutter, these cruise ships are limited with electrical power. Ships have no power grid to tap. They are self sufficient. A problem does lie with our more demanding power needs. Twenty years ago most passengers may have brought a hair dryer and/or a electric razor. Today many if not most of the passengers are bringing aboard multiple electronic gadgets: video camcorders, digital cameras, laptops, blackberries, iPods, and cell phones with their battery chargers.

A cruise ship is wired up as a Christmas tree with power strips and twin or triple outlet adapters. There is a reason why the cruise lines wired only one outlet in each cabin. Its no wonder why the cruise lines are beginning to become more concerned, and banning home appliances aboard their ships. The cruise lines don't wish to rewire their ships, much less install new switchboards and more powerful generators. Doing so will take months of no revenues per ship...

And yes, electricity aboard a ship is fuel related too. The more demanding our power needs are, the more it costs the cruise lines...

We have met the enemy, and its us...

I shall step off my soapbox... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I shall step off my soapbox... :eek::eek:...

That's OK... we all take our turns! :D

The power delivered to the cabin is not the "cleanest" out there. You can hear it in the fan... varying speeds, and rarely the max speed which you would get at home. I have no doubt that if they installed metering in each cabin (and then charged people for excess power usage) that they would manage to scrounge up some more juice! ;)

Tom

That's OK... we all take our turns! :D

The power delivered to the cabin is not the "cleanest" out there. You can hear it in the fan... varying speeds, and rarely the max speed which you would get at home. I have no doubt that if they installed metering in each cabin (and then charged people for excess power usage) that they would manage to scrounge up some more juice! ;)

Tom

But that would be nickel and diming.... Hotels don't charge for electricity.... Its cheaper for the cruise lines to ban household appliances and power strips...

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

I don't think that they want you using these items IN THE SHOWER... lol

Tom

OK, thanks learn something new every day. I still can't figure why they are still pulling fans and such out...

But that would be nickel and diming....

Would that really come as a surprise to some of us? :eek: (I hope they would ever get quite that cheap.)

Wait till electric cars become the norm - you'll start seeing meters everywhere... then people will become used to paying for power!

Tom

varying speeds, and rarely the max speed which you would get at home. I have no doubt that if they installed metering in each cabin (and then charged people for excess power usage) that they would manage to scrounge up some more juice! ;)

Tom

:eek:

O M G

Are you kidding??? :eek:

:p LMAO......

I can't IMAGINE the boards if CCL started charging for excess power usuage.

*shakeshead* :p

I can't IMAGINE the boards if CCL started charging for excess power usuage.

I would almost be happy to pay for it, in exchange for watching the UPROAR here! :D

Let's see... my fan pulls .52 amps... so at ~110V that is close to 60 watts... IF the charge was $.12 per kW·h (national average), after an 8 hour night of sleep it would have run up a tab of just under SIX cents.

Even if Carnival charged $.25 per kW·h, the cost would be minimal: for what you would pay for the automatic 15% gratuity on a bottle of water, you could have your circulating air for 2-3 nights! ;)

To save Carnival the infrastructure cost and hassle, they could "check in" your fan and apply a BUCK energy surcharge to your S&S account (not to mention the $10 for a "safety check".. ;)). Could you imagine if they had power meters in the cabins? There would be entire websites dedicated to bypassing the meter... then Carnival could no longer say that the "greatest risk in an ocean going vessel is fire"... it would be ELECTROCUTION!! :p

I think the last time this idea was floated, suggestions ran the gamut --- right up to PAY TOILETS! :eek: :D

Tom

I would almost be happy to pay for it, in exchange for watching the UPROAR here! :D

Let's see... my fan pulls .52 amps... so at ~110V that is close to 60 watts... IF the charge was $.12 per kW·h (national average), after an 8 hour night of sleep it would have run up a tab of just under SIX cents.

Even if Carnival charged $.25 per kW·h, the cost would be minimal: for what you would pay for the automatic 15% gratuity on a bottle of water, you could have your circulating air for 2-3 nights! ;)

To save Carnival the infrastructure cost and hassle, they could "check in" your fan and apply a BUCK energy surcharge to your S&S account (not to mention the $10 for a "safety check".. ;)). Could you imagine if they had power meters in the cabins? There would be entire websites dedicated to bypassing the meter... then Carnival could no longer say that the "greatest risk in an ocean going vessel is fire"... it would be ELECTROCUTION!! :p

I think the last time this idea was floated, suggestions ran the gamut --- right up to PAY TOILETS! :eek: :D

Tom

Where's the thread about how to smuggle on my personal generator and the gasoline to run it?

You can always do what Italy does......$30 to eat standing up at the counter in the steakhouse and $45.00 if you actually want to sit down. If a live band starts performing as you leisurely sit at a table, the price suddenly doubles....gotta love Italy.

Where's the thread about how to smuggle on my personal generator and the gasoline to run it?

You can always do what Italy does......$30 to eat standing up at the counter in the steakhouse and $45.00 if you actually want to sit down. If a live band starts performing as you leisurely sit at a table, the price suddenly doubles....gotta love Italy.

If you have a balcony near the aft, you could probably just lower some type of device down into the water so that the current (while the ship is moving forward, LOL) generates a fair bit of power... let me go and check, but I'll bet that something in the ticket contract would make that a NO GO. Perhaps solar panels on the aft corners - you can pick up some energy there for sure! :D

Tom

Tom

:eek:

Ok, it's official.:D

You're nuts. :p

If you have a balcony near the aft, you could probably just lower some type of device down into the water so that the current (while the ship is moving forward, LOL) generates a fair bit of power... let me go and check, but I'll bet that something in the ticket contract would make that a NO GO. Perhaps solar panels on the aft corners - you can pick up some energy there for sure! :D

Tom

Excellent idea! We have an eliminator battery we hook up to solar panels at the cottage for lights. We're going to the cottage this weekend. I'll have B get up and take the panels off the roof and we'll pack them all up for the cruise. But wait, the battery weighs about 20 lbs, might put us over flight weight restrictions. :rolleyes:

Excellent idea! We have an eliminator battery we hook up to solar panels at the cottage for lights. We're going to the cottage this weekend. I'll have B get up and take the panels off the roof and we'll pack them all up for the cruise. But wait, the battery weighs about 20 lbs, might put us over flight weight restrictions. :rolleyes:

That's OK.. we can make our own battery with items readily available on the ship (though I don't know about STORING energy that way --- unless you want a real blast of lemon)...

1010173279_tUBVw-M.jpg

Tom

That's OK.. we can make our own battery with items readily available on the ship (though I don't know about STORING energy that way --- unless you want a real blast of lemon)...

1010173279_tUBVw-M.jpg

Tom

An iron electrode, a magnesium electrode and a bucket of seawater and you are in business.

1010173279_tUBVw-M.jpg

Tom

As long as they don't run out of lemons like they ran out of limes last time we were on the Glory, or was it the Connie?

1010173279_tUBVw-M.jpg

Tom

There is no way a nail will be allowed upon boarding.

Guess there's something else we will have to find a way to smuggle in. :D

An iron electrode, a magnesium electrode and a bucket of seawater and you are in business.

The electrodes are no problem... just not sure where we can find seawater... :confused:

:p

As long as they don't run out of lemons like they ran out of limes last time we were on the Glory, or was it the Connie?

Now THAT was a BIG deal! :D

Tom

The electrodes are no problem... just not sure where we can find seawater... :confused:

:p

Now THAT was a BIG deal! :D

Tom

I know!! I could hardly choke down the vodka and cranberry drinks, we should have been compensated!

I know this thread is getting kind of long and old but I have a question for Tom, just give me your opinion based on your experience....

We always take a power strip on our cruises - it's just necessary when you're traveling with two women (hairdryers, curling irons, etc. and ladies please don't flame me) and you have camera batterys to charge as well as cell phones (yes... DD and I take our cell phones on cruises :rolleyes: ). I plan to buy a brand new power strip, leaving it in the packaging (unopened) and take it with us. Do you think this will also be confiscated? It sounds like, from the experience of others, I could safely get it onboard by putting it in my carry-on but my carry-on already is full of stuff we don't want to put in checked luggage.

BTW, I totally agree with your premise of "it's the principle". ;)

...yes, electricity aboard a ship is fuel related too. The more demanding our power needs are, the more it costs the cruise lines...

Business decisions amost invariably come down to money...although in the best of hands, ethics play a part.

Sigh.

Makes me flushed with frustration...I need a fan. ;)

I know this thread is getting kind of long and old but I have a question for Tom, just give me your opinion based on your experience....

We always take a power strip on our cruises - it's just necessary when you're traveling with two women (hairdryers, curling irons, etc. and ladies please don't flame me) and you have camera batterys to charge as well as cell phones (yes... DD and I take our cell phones on cruises :rolleyes: ). I plan to buy a brand new power strip, leaving it in the packaging (unopened) and take it with us. Do you think this will also be confiscated? It sounds like, from the experience of others, I could safely get it onboard by putting it in my carry-on but my carry-on already is full of stuff we don't want to put in checked luggage.

BTW, I totally agree with your premise of "it's the principle". ;)

My feeling is that you wouldn't have any problems. They left my laptop power cord/charger, 3-way splitter, and two extension cords untouched (in my checked luggage). I think next time I am going for something like this (I will not be flying, so forget the TSA):

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-627D-Luggage-Combination/dp/B000T4FL7Y/ref=pd_sim_hi_1

(EDIT: I probably shouldn't say they left the other stuff "untouched", as I am sure they ran their grubby hands all over our stuff... public AND private...)

Tom

Archived