Should we choose the HoHo or the Metro to get around Barcelona?

queenL

We will be in Barcelona for 4 days pre-cruise. I am trying to decide whether to get a Ho Ho 3 day pass or use the Metro. I like to take pictures so I'm leaning towards the HoHo, however, in late Oct won't it be too cool to sit on the top anyway? Will we still have to deal with crowds and long waits for the bus in the off season? Also, I'm traveling with my parents (seniors) they are mobile, but long walks are out of the question.

To me a HOHO bus is not transportation but is a tour where you can get on and off at certain locations.

I would not do it for 3-4 days!!

I prefer using buses to the metro for a new city but you can certainly use a combo of bus/metro and even some taxis (which are easy to find and not very expensive)

The T-10 transport ticket gives you 10 rides on bus//metro for only just under 8euro and people can share it so for a couple it would be 5 rides each.

Especially with your parents along I'd expect to grab a cab here and there if they get tired.

I suggest that you try the metro/cab transportation for the first day before buying a multi-day HOHO package. I had planned to do the HOHO and was so glad I hadn't pre-purchased tickets because we found that the metro is so convenient and easy, and with all the money we saved not buying the HOHO tickets, it was easy enough to grab cabs here and there when necessary. In fact, the HOHO requires a hike up a hill to get to Parc Guell, where a cab can drop you right at one of the gates. For the group of you, I'm sure the cost of the HOHO tickets would buy most, if not all, of the cab fares you'd need, and you wouldn't have to wait for busses.

Best,

Mia

My suggestion would be to use the Ho Ho the first day to get the lay of the land and see all you can. Some sites do not require going inside, drive by's are enough. You will also see the waterfront and lots of things not on the 'to do' list. My wife and I do this in all the big cities when we visit and then decide what and when we want to see in the next days. The Barcelona metro is very easy to use. Save the HO Ho map and get a metro map to coordinate sites. Works for us :) Happy cruising

I agree with Billiam on this one, especially if you haven't visited Barcelona before. There won't be crowds and long waits - it might be a bit cool on top, but you can always warm up afterwards with hot chocolate and churros. Try and get your bus ride over by mid-afternoon when the sun starts to go down and make sure you have a jacket with you - you'll be fine.

Weather: Google Barcelona weather. You will see that the expected temps that time of year is a low in the high 50s or low 60s and a high of mid to upper 60s. (Sorry, I forgot to look at the OP's home, so I am assuming U.S. and giving temps in F.).

In the off-season, there are obviously fewer HoHo buses running, so the waits between buses will be longer. From what I have read (here and elsewhere) this is more than compensated due to fewer riders (seldom will you not be able to board the bus due to its being full).

My wife likes HoHo buses, I do not. In any case, not even my wife would purchase a multi-day pass. Barcelona's public transportation system is excellent, inexpensive, and safe (although you do want to be watch out for pickpockets).

If the weather is nice, you might want to take the HoHo bus your first day to get an overview. After that, I suggest public transportation which will get you from Point A to Point B much faster (and less expensively).

OP: the Metro is a really great way to get around the city, but given that you said long walks are a problem for your parents, please be mindful that there are stairs in many of the stations and tunnel-like walkways to navigate. Just a heads up!

Have a great trip!

We will be flying into Barcelona for a cruise and our hotel is located about midpoint of La Ramblas. I notice that taxies charge around 30 euros for the trip but the Aerobus is only around 6 per person. Can I take luggage on the Aerobus? I don't mind the 1/4 mile walk if I can save 15 or more euros.

IMHO with 4 days you have more then enough time to get out and see the sights and take pictures up close and far back. I'd avoid taking the HO HO and getting a big run around just to take pictures. I think these are for people that just must see the whole city and take snapshots but not the way to really see the treasures especially when one has 4 days. Between the Metro and taxi you can easily get to all the major attractions and with 4 days why hurry.

We will be in Barcelona for 4 days pre-cruise. I am trying to decide whether to get a Ho Ho 3 day pass or use the Metro. I like to take pictures so I'm leaning towards the HoHo, however, in late Oct won't it be too cool to sit on the top anyway? Will we still have to deal with crowds and long waits for the bus in the off season? Also, I'm traveling with my parents (seniors) they are mobile, but long walks are out of the question.

Barcelona has an excellent metro and bus system. I would suggest getting a T10 ticket, map out where you want to go and take the metro. You can find all the information on this website: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/ Many of the metro stations do have elevators for one of the lines.

To get to the top of Montjuïc, you can take the funicular from the Paral-lel metro station or a bus or the cable car.

The Aerobus does have space for luggage.

Hope this helps.

Betty

We will be flying into Barcelona for a cruise and our hotel is located about midpoint of La Ramblas. I notice that taxies charge around 30 euros for the trip but the Aerobus is only around 6 per person. Can I take luggage on the Aerobus? I don't mind the 1/4 mile walk if I can save 15 or more euros.

I have had 2 quotes for a transfer from Barcelona airport terminal 2 to the port costing 50 euros. Seems a little steep to me or this the going rate now? Maybe it's worth us looking at the Aerobus then get a taxi.

Archived