Solstice - Mythbusters

sadie8

If you simply follow the requested dress code youi needn't worry whether or not a particular ship will enforce them.

You are so right. Isn't it odd that such a common sense answer to all of the dress codes seems to escape so many people!

A couple of years ago, one of our local travel agents brought a representative from Carnival to speak to interested people. We went, and the one thing that I came away with was the fact that there would be, in effect, no dress code. We were specifically told that one did not have to dress for dinner, virtually at any time. She was wearing dark tan docker-like slacks and a navy polo-style top with the Carnival logo on the breast pocket; she insisted that as she was dressed, was fine. If there was a formal night, a jacket was fine; I don't even recall whether a tie was necessary.

My first thought was, "Nope. Not for us. We like the dressier ambience". My next thought was, "Then if there is a line which caters to casual-style people, (and there is nothing wrong with that) why wouldn't they take advantage of that? Why would they insist that Celebrity's style of dress codes be eroded from what it was to what it has become and then still want it to become even less? The lines' itineraries are similar, and, if I am not mistaken, last year's Conde Nast poll showed Carnival's food to be right up near (at) the top."

I just don't understand the problem with following a suggested dress code for any venue; it isn't as if people could be unaware of what it is when they sign up for Celebrity. It's right there in the brochures; we easily found that out long before so many people were online with the electronic age.

Sometimes when I read the threads on dress codes, I get the idea that some people are so incensed that they have to dress up (now, just a little bit), and make such a fuss, one would think they were being forced to go out to castrate gorillas!

Bill

Loved our Solstice cruise and have answers to three common myths.

MYTH - If you are Aqua Class and sign up for Select Dining you will be removed from the BLU Dining Room and put into the Main Dining Room.

OP,

Why would anyone in AC sign up for Select Dining if they wanted to eat in Blu anyway? That really does not make much sense. Or you suggesting that one must sign up for Select Dining in order to have flexible dining in Blu? Or did you sign up for Select Dining and then were disappointed that they did not have you dine in the MDR?

Interesting choice of words. Is it really a Myth if something is defined on the Celebrity website? I do understand your point that the actual practice on your cruise contradicted the official definitions by Celebrity.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

You are so right. Isn't it odd that such a common sense answer to all of the dress codes seems to escape so many people!

I just don't understand the problem with following a suggested dress code for any venue; it isn't as if people could be unaware of what it is when they sign up for Celebrity. It's right there in the brochures; we easily found that out long before so many people were online with the electronic age.

Sometimes when I read the threads on dress codes, I get the idea that some people are so incensed that they have to dress up (now, just a little bit), and make such a fuss, one would think they were being forced to go out to castrate gorillas!

Bill

I think that there are too many people getting different direction from:

Captain has the right to recommend dress code as it is his ship.

Hostess is directed by headquarters to enforce dress code.

Staff doesn't want to upset passengers and enforce dress code.

This is what I have seen being discussed/cussed on this posting/subject.

A couple of years ago, one of our local travel agents brought a representative from Carnival to speak to interested people. We went, and the one thing that I came away with was the fact that there would be, in effect, no dress code. We were specifically told that one did not have to dress for dinner, virtually at any time. She was wearing dark tan docker-like slacks and a navy polo-style top with the Carnival logo on the breast pocket; she insisted that as she was dressed, was fine. If there was a formal night, a jacket was fine; I don't even recall whether a tie was necessary.

My first thought was, "Nope. Not for us. We like the dressier ambience". My next thought was, "Then if there is a line which caters to casual-style people, (and there is nothing wrong with that) why wouldn't they take advantage of that? Why would they insist that Celebrity's style of dress codes be eroded from what it was to what it has become and then still want it to become even less? The lines' itineraries are similar, and, if I am not mistaken, last year's Conde Nast poll showed Carnival's food to be right up near (at) the top."

Bill

LOL, I'm not a big fan of breaking rules so I will abide by the suggested dress code on my upcoming first Celebrity cruise. But I do have to say that it does sound like a pain in the you-know-what to me to have to give my clothing so much thought when I'm on vacation.

I plan to pack very carefully so that I won't have the option (or temptation) of wearing something comfortable.;)

Myth #1 answer is absolutely incorrect...The letter in the stateroom states that it will happen, the website says so (see below) and I had it happen on my first AQ cruise until I learned the difference...

We signed up for select dining because we originally were in a regular balcony cabin and wanted to pick our dining times. Then when we switched to AQ our travel agent left us designated as select dining and our gratuities were prepaid. I'm telling the truth, on our September 5 sailing on the Solstice we had a card in the cabin and we were assigned to BLU even though we had booked with the select dining option. Based on what we read here, we were prepared to board the ship and then get our dining room switched to BLU, but it was not necessary.

LOL, I'm not a big fan of breaking rules so I will abide by the suggested dress code on my upcoming first Celebrity cruise. But I do have to say that it does sound like a pain in the you-know-what to me to have to give my clothing so much thought when I'm on vacation.

I plan to pack very carefully so that I won't have the option (or temptation) of wearing something comfortable.;)

Nah. No problem. Just get gorgeous, that's all. You'll be fine.:)

P.S. We're casual all the time. Vacation to us, is dressing up!

We signed up for select dining because we originally were in a regular balcony cabin and wanted to pick our dining times. Then when we switched to AQ our travel agent left us designated as select dining and our gratuities were prepaid. I'm telling the truth, on our September 5 sailing on the Solstice we had a card in the cabin and we were assigned to BLU even though we had booked with the select dining option. Based on what we read here, we were prepared to board the ship and then get our dining room switched to BLU, but it was not necessary.

Thank you for the explanation. Perhaps since you upgraded to AQ after you had chosen Select Dining, Blu became your dining option automatically. That does not necessarily mean that if you choose Select Dining when you are already in AQ that you will not be moved to Select Dining in the MDR. That would make the most sense.

It is good that you got exactly what you wanted.

Archived