Solstice - Mythbusters

sadie8

Loved our Solstice cruise and have answers to three common myths.

MYTH - If you are Aqua Class and sign up for Select Dining you will be removed from the BLU Dining Room and put into the Main Dining Room.

FACT - If you choose Select Dining you are still assigned to BLU and your dining information will be in your cabin when you board.

MYTH - Cafe El Baccio will only give you pastries if you purchase a beverage.

FACT - The patries and cookies are available free of charge. No purchase necessary.

MYTH - You must wear long pants to attend the Elite Social from 2-4.

FACT - Shorts were allowed but the no flip flops rule was enforced.

Guests wearing shorts were definitely turned away from the Elite lounge in June on Summit. I would say that it is still possible that shorts may keep you from entering, so be prepared either way.

I guess it must vary from Hostess to Hostess. On Solstice it was enforced when we were on there last December. Maybe a new Hostess at the time had relaxed the "no shorts" policy.

Another example of X really trying to confuse their guests. Which Captain is onboard and what does he allow? Why can't X make up their mind on what the dress code is for MDR, Elite Lounge, etc.

Then we have another new classification:

Smart Casual

Smart Casual and above?

We must all become Rocket Scientists. Blast off X!

Guests wearing shorts were definitely turned away from the Elite lounge in June on Summit. I would say that it is still possible that shorts may keep you from entering, so be prepared either way.

This was the Solstice and I think it definitely depends on the hostess who is on duty. On Formal night, there were men in tuxedos and men in shorts in attendance. The guys wearing shorts looked so much more comfortable.

This was the Solstice and I think it definitely depends on the hostess who is on duty. On Formal night, there were men in tuxedos and men in shorts in attendance. The guys wearing shorts looked so much more comfortable.

Why should the Hostess who is on duty define proper attire? That should be spelled out in the Dress Code as published by the Cruise Line.

Now we have the following defining the dress code:

1. X

2. Captain

3. Hostess

another joke?

Why should the Hostess who is on duty define proper attire? That should be spelled out in the Dress Code as published by the Cruise Line.

1. X

2. Captain

3. Hostess

another joke?

It is not a joke. She is told by HQ to "man the door" and "greet

the guests" however you want to look at it....She also asks to see

your card when she is checking to make sure everyone is Elite

for the particular event in question.

1. X

2. Captain

3. Hostess

another joke?

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." :D

It is not a joke. She is told by HQ to "man the door" and "greet

the guests" however you want to look at it....She also asks to see

your card when she is checking to make sure everyone is Elite

for the particular event in question.

So, what is the purpose of the MDR personnel such as Head Waiters at the door who allow people who are not dressed properly enter on formal nights? Does HQ tell them to 'look the other way?'

So, what is the purpose of the MDR personnel such as Head Waiters at the door who allow people who are not dressed properly enter on formal nights? Does HQ tell them to 'look the other way?'

My reply was not about the main dining room. I thought the post

was about the Elite event (afternoon drinks). And I was posting

what I have been told...Corporate had told the Capt's Club Hostess

to enforce it but it looks like it is different on different sailings.

(On the recent Solstice sailing she followed what HQ had told her to do).

I was on the same cruise as the OP.

MYTH - If you are Aqua Class and sign up for Select Dining you will be removed from the BLU Dining Room and put into the Main Dining Room.

FACT - If you choose Select Dining you are still assigned to BLU and your dining information will be in your cabin when you board.

So, what were the instructions in your stateroom?

You must wear long pants to attend the Elite Social from 2-4

Is this the social that is suppose to be before dinner? Isn't it kind of early? My DH and I have late seating, and we are still at the pool between 2-4. :eek:

My reply was not about the main dining room. I thought the post

was about the Elite event (afternoon drinks). And I was posting

what I have been told...Corporate had told the Capt's Club Hostess

to enforce it but it looks like it is different on different sailings.

(On the recent Solstice sailing she followed what HQ had told her to do).

I was on the same cruise as the OP.

I know what your posting was and what it was about. However, why have such action/enforcement/rules at a very informal event during the afternoon when we don't enforce the formal events? What the crew tells one, they tell someone else something else. I have been told by the crew that they don't enforce the dress code because they don't want to offend the guests.

Does that mean that if we are Elite we are not offended or we are not guests? My point was to add to your example to show that different rules apply to different ships, staff, etc.

We as guests don't know what person or rule applies on each ship or cruise. Some people say the Captain decides the dress code. Others say that enforcement is not the job of the staff, etc.

Why don't we all decide and inform X of what we think and either there are rules that are enforced equally or not? They is a Poll on enforcing the smoking rules now on this forum. There are dress code postings daily about the lack of enforcement.

been told you can only eat in the MDR twice.

FACT - The patries and cookies are available free of charge. No purchase necessary.

I thought everyone knew that.

funny i only take flip flops for daytime or dinenr shoes.. it is 4 ot 6 not 2 to 4.. alos it is up to the ship what people wear.. this is happy hour not dinenr hours. also i have been to senor officers and capts lunch that people looekd like they were going ot mow the lawn but at 4 pm who cares.

On an Equinox cruise last year, we would often go to the reception at 4:00PM. The hostess said nice shorts and shoes were fine at this early hour. They cannot expect us to get dressed for dinner at 4:00PM.
If they don't expect it why do they put smart casual on the invitation?:confused:

Is this the social that is suppose to be before dinner? Isn't it kind of early? My DH and I have late seating, and we are still at the pool between 2-4. :eek:

I'm terrible at proof reading. Yes, the Elite Social is from 4-6.

So, what were the instructions in your stateroom?

A nice little 4" x 6" card confirming our reservations at BLU asking us to come between 8:30-9:30. That was a little late for us, so we called and they said we could come anytime. BLU was very busy on the first night.

what is the big obsession with "the rules"???

You are on vacation on a cruise ship. Isn't the idea to relax and enjoy one's self? As opposed to looking for rule violators around every corner? Jmho, not trying to criticize.

hear hear

What is the big obsession with "the rules"???

You are on vacation on a cruise ship. Isn't the idea to relax and enjoy one's self? As opposed to looking for rule violators around every corner? JMHO, not trying to criticize.

Arrrr maytee this is Celebrity and you best be prepared to follow the rules or walk the plank. ;)

2hf2qtk.jpg

I'm terrible at proof reading. Yes, the Elite Social is from 4-6.

That's better, but with we are usually not ready for pre-dinner cocktails before 7:00. :( If it's a rainy day, we will most certainly be there for a free drink! :D

A nice little 4" x 6" card confirming our reservations at BLU asking us to come between 8:30-9:30. That was a little late for us, so we called and they said we could come anytime. BLU was very busy on the first night.

So you specified late seating, and they said come between 8:30-9:30? We would do the same and go at 8:15! It's good to know because I have read that Celebrity takes you out of Blu and puts you in the dining room if you mark Select.

Thank you! :)

Myth #1 answer is absolutely incorrect...The letter in the stateroom states that it will happen, the website says so (see below) and I had it happen on my first AQ cruise until I learned the difference...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000kfXJ_3HqDU60SMbLx0Dv9n4:12hdebebp;jsessionid=0000lUYJEf9Emhp0LHx5atpxrr8:12hdebdrn?faqSubjectName=Celebrity+Select+Dining&faqId=3857&pagename=faq_answers

Archived