Do I need an adapter??? Quick!!

jdblakeslee

Cruising on Star Princess from Rome to Venice via Greek Isles. Do I need to bring an adapter for my blow dryer for the electrical outlets in our cabin? If yes, why?? If this ship were in the Caribbean, my blow dryer would work as usual, right?

Sorry to be so stupid, I'm going nuts trying to get everything in order, leaving in a week!

Thanks for the quick rescue!

Jennifer

Cruising on Star Princess from Rome to Venice via Greek Isles. Do I need to bring an adapter for my blow dryer for the electrical outlets in our cabin? If yes, why?? If this ship were in the Caribbean, my blow dryer would work as usual, right?

Sorry to be so stupid, I'm going nuts trying to get everything in order, leaving in a week!

Jennifer

Your electrical appliances should be fine. We were on the star and had no trouble.

No, you don't need an adapter for the ship. However, if you're staying over in Rome or Venice you will need one.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Unless it has a dual voltage switch, you'll burn out a US dryer in a European socket @ 220 Volts.

That is what the adapter is for, it lowers the voltage to 110-120.

Sorry, but an adapter just allows you to plug in a US 2 two bladed plug into a European 2 round hole socket.

Unless the device is 120-240 like my razor, it is important to check the voltage rating on the appliance. If it is only 120 volt you will burn it out plugging it into 220. I had a blow dryer that had a 120/220 volt switch.

Sorry, but an adapter just allows you to plug in a US 2 two bladed plug into a European 2 round hole socket.

Unless the device is 120-240 like my razor, it is important to check the voltage rating on the appliance. If it is only 120 volt you will burn it out plugging it into 220. I had a blow dryer that had a 120/220 volt switch.

the adapters to switch the plug from an American to another country's plug (and there are many variations) are fairly inexpensive.

the transformer that would reduce the voltage down to 110/120 is pretty expensive.

my "travel" blow dryer had a switch for the different voltage. and most new electronics, laptops, iPods, etc., also work at the different voltages. However, as most places have a blow dryer in the hotel room or cruise ship cabin, I don't bring one anymore. But I have stick straight hair that I don't do much with on vacation. agree if you need a powerful blow dryer the one aboard ship and in many hotel rooms, especially european ones, would not work.

Don't know what the problem is but I think the OP is probably more confused now more than before she posted. She is from Gulfport Mississippi which I believe is in the USA and has 110 volt power and she would have 110 volt appliances. Therefore she would not need an adapter on the ship she is sailing on.

Perhaps this is too simple??

No--you are correct. The simple answer was as give--it is a standard US plug and you don't need anything aboard ship for your hair dryer.

But--you know others read these and probably are interested in more info.

True, but the "more info" had nothing to do with the OP's question and seemed to get way off track regarding what an adapter does and doesn't do.

That is what the adapter is for, it lowers the voltage to 110-120.

THat's not totally true. An adapter is just to switch the us plug end to a european one which is two round pin like things that go in the wall. If your dryer or curling iron is 110 volts you would need a step down transformer so it wouldn't burn up by using the 220v outlet. Of course you don't need to worry about this if your not staying off the ship at any point during your vacation.

Jennifer

Why do you need a blow dryer??? There is one in every room.:cool:

The Front Desk on most cruise ships will loan you adapters that will allow you to plug your American flat pin electrical machines into European sockets, and your European round pin electrical machines into American sockets.

If you are one of those electrically challenged people from North America, you will need to purchase your own step down transformers to conver the voltage.

THat's not totally true. An adapter is just to switch the us plug end to a european one which is two round pin like things that go in the wall. If your dryer or curling iron is 110 volts you would need a step down transformer so it wouldn't burn up by using the 220v outlet. Of course you don't need to worry about this if your not staying off the ship at any point during your vacation.
Ok you guys win. However if you Google European voltage adapters converters do come up

The Front Desk on most cruise ships will loan you adapters that will allow you to plug your American flat pin electrical machines into European sockets, and your European round pin electrical machines into American sockets.

If you are one of those electrically challenged people from North America, you will need to purchase your own step down transformers to conver the voltage.

On Princess ships you do not need anything.

Thanks for all the replies, you guys really are the best. We're only spending one night at the port in Rome, rest of the time on the ship. My long, thick hair needs the blow dryer it's used to...so I'll schlep it along.

Postings about converters and adapters are so informative. We've traveled around Europe before so I knew about such, but for many, their first experience overseas is a cruise with pre and post stays. This info will certainly help them plan.

So excited about our Greek Isles cruise! I'll be posting from the ship so stay tuned! If I can figure out my new little camera, I might even be able to post a pic or two!

Yippee!!!

Jennifer

Archived