Set Dining Times vs. Open Seating

SantaAna,CA

Hi, as a new cruiser to Celebrity (and a solo lady traveler), I wanted to inquire what your experience has been with a set dining time vs. the open seating feature. Can you please let me know how this works? Do you just go down to the dining room and say, hello, please put me someplace? I was thinking, since there is only one of me, I may not have to wait long, would that be so?

I also thought it would be a nice way to meet lots of people (as opposed to having the same table for 10 nights).

Any opinions welcome, thanks so much!

Jane

We prefer the "set" times (traditional dining)...as you have tablemates. That truly makes dinner sooooo much more fun! I know, some folks get all nervous about eating with 'strangers', but once you introduce yourselves, you're no longer strangers! You will already have cruising (specifically) in common, and vacationing (in general)....larger tables are better...and the waiters seem to prefer the "fun' atmosphere at the table.

Dinner is so much more than just "stuffing your face"...it's a social time and it's fun! We look forward to dinner...not because we're hungry (and sometimes, we are!), but because of the camraderie that developes! We look forward to sharing our adventures with our tablemates, and hearing about their adventures of the day, and their next day's plans! Because you may be seated with folks in ALL kinds of cabins, an informal "cabin crawl" will allow you to view other styles of accomodations....it's a "win-win" for all!

Hi, as a new cruiser to Celebrity (and a solo lady traveler), I wanted to inquire what your experience has been with a set dining time vs. the open seating feature. Can you please let me know how this works? Do you just go down to the dining room and say, hello, please put me someplace? I was thinking, since there is only one of me, I may not have to wait long, would that be so?

I also thought it would be a nice way to meet lots of people (as opposed to having the same table for 10 nights).

Jane

Hi Jane:) nice to see you! I sail solo too and much prefer

traditional dining. I enjoy the comraderie of tablemates and

having the same wait staff and table each night. (But that is just me).

I think you have been a Seabourn cruiser in the past? I love

Celebrity:D but just wanted to make sure you understand they

are not the same product. I have never sailed Seabourn but I know

those ships are "Yachts" with much fewer pax.

Hope you have a great time on Millennium:)

We always try to get the late sitting with a big table, mainly because we enjoy company & conversation. If we use the anytime, you do meet more people, but every nite it's "hi, where are you from, what do you do etc". Besides, you will never see these people again. When you have the same table mates, you talk about different things, can make some other plans, etc. We have cruised 37 times, & have always had great table mates. I just ask you to consider not requesting the MDR sittings if you intend to do anytime dining. You take up a space from someone who prefers the MDR sittings when you do not show up. Either way, cruising is great.

I was SO disappointed the first time we had no set time...........booked that cruise late and "all the set times were taken."

BUT, now that's all we ever want...................we LOVE it.

If in port, you can eat later after you return and get "cleaned up."

We often get a table for two.

This will be our first Celebrity cruise, but on HAL and Princess you can call and make reservations daily...................in July on a 14 day AK cruise, we made reservations for three days ahead.

We LOVE the freedom of choosing a time in relation to what we may be doing that day.:)

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I appreciate the variety of experiences.

Hi Lois! Yes I am the person who loves Seabourn. Unfortunately I can't afford them anymore. I know the larger ships aren't anywhere near the same experience, but I think if I get on the ship with a good attitude (not one of comparing the two), I'll do just fine. Besides, Seabourn doesn't have itineraries like this one; in fact, very few ships go to Tortola, one of my favorite dive sites.

Nice to hear from you!

Jane

I strongly recommend set dining times. If you are not comfortable with your dining companions on the first or second night ask to be changed to another table. I have always enjoyed dining with new people, and have, on occasion changed tables.

I can totally identify with what Jane is saying, because I also am a solo lady traveller (I'm widowed, but now have learned to enjoy travelling solo!).

In the past, I've always enjoyed the "security" of having traditional dining and have always gone for the late dining option. However, the adjusted time on a transatlantic cruise I'm taking in November on Constellation is now 9:00 pm which is VERY late.

So here's the benefit of being part of a specific roll call for your cruise -- because several other people have also cringed at the idea of eating so late, but don't want to eat at the early seating, so a group of us have decided to meet for Select Dining at around 7:15 - 7:30 pm and dine accordingly. Very relaxed and open, no commitment that you must turn up, but with the number who have banded together, you can be reasonably certain of eating with people you know. If not, you'll get to meet some new people!

So, Jane .... check the roll call for your cruise and raise the suggestion for a Select Dining Group, I'm sure you'll find others on your wave-length.

Sandie

We have chosen Select Dining for both of our upcoming X cruises, because we also enjoy meeting a variety of people. We have only experienced the flexible dining option on Princess and can only say positive things about it. You can ask for the same servers if you want, you can ask for a large or a small table, you can go when it's convenient for your schedule - the choice is entirely yours.

Our fixed dining times have never been good ones. On our first Princess, we were assigned to a table for 10 with only 1 other couple and we didn't really have anything in common with them, so we switched to Anytime Dining. On Carnival, we requested a large table and ended up with a table for 4, so again, we didn't meet many new people. On RCI we requested a large table and the first night we were given a table for 4 with a couple who didn't speak English! So we switched to a large table and got stuck with another couple who didn't speak English, and a woman a little younger than us who was traveling with her 2 daughters (ages 18 and 20) and one of the daughter's friends. The dinner conversation generally revolved around the "cute guys" they met and the "cute guys" they were meeting later, lots of giggling, and lots of chatter about fashion!

So my advice is to go for the Select option where you are likely to meet people with a variety of backgrounds and interests, and might even meet some people who you will enjoy spending more time with on the cruise. Through open seating on our last cruise we met another couple who have become good friends - in fact, they are joining us on our Summit cruise next March.

Good luck!

I will give you my opinion since we have now done both. We were traditional late set dining for most of our cruises. After not wanting to go to bed at midnight with a full stomach,we switched to early seating for 3 or 4 cruises. Late seating is to late, and the early too early!!

We do love being at a large table meeting new friends. Having the same waiters is also a plus. We have made many new friends.

Having said all those things, we did a Celebrity cruise to the Med a few weeks ago and tried select dining, and we loved it. Eating when you want, based on your days activities was wonderful!! We were with friends, and the first nite we had a table for 4, first nite setteling in was nice. After that evening, we were at a table for 8 and had nice dining companions each nite from different places. If you meet people you want to dine with you meet them at a certain time and walk in together. There are minor drawbacks, you do not establish relationships really. We ate in the speciality restaurants 2 nites, so we did something different most nights. You really need to try all options before you can really give an opinion. What works for one, doesn't for others. Its nice to have options. Whichever you choose ENJOY!!!:o:o

I have chosen the Select Dining Time for my upcoming solo cruises because I agree that 6 is too early & 8:30 is too late. My only worry is that I'll arrive at the DR & no one will want to share a table & I'll have to either wait around for someone to accept the "stray" or that I'll eat all by myself.

Is it pretty easy to be seated w/ another party?

Hi Bonnie,:) let me know how it goes. Hopefully you will find friendly

folks but that is why I prefer traditional dining. But I like late dining;)

For those of you who love Select and want to sit as a couple, thats

great:) but as a solo traveler not everyone welcomes individuals

so it is not always a good option.:rolleyes:

Hi Bonnie,:) let me know how it goes. Hopefully you will find friendly

folks but that is why I prefer traditional dining. But I like late dining;)

For those of you who love Select and want to sit as a couple, thats

great:) but as a solo traveler not everyone welcomes individuals

so it is not always a good option.:rolleyes:

Hi Lois. I'll try to remember to post back on CC somewhere on my dining experiences. I'm hoping that maybe someone on my roll call (other Selects) will take me in! But it's hard to coordinate dining when everyone's hungry at different times, esp on port days. We'll see. It's not the end of the world if I eat alone :rolleyes:.

Hi Bonnie,:) no its not the end of the world, but it certainly makes for

a more enjoyable dinner to have fun tablemates. It looks like all the

Mercury sailings have busy roll calls so maybe you can find some folks

on there:)

I do not think anyone will have to dine alone. If a foursome wants a table for 4, they are seated at one. Anyone who sits at a table larger than their number welcomes other diners. Again, there isn't a PERFECT dining, but there are many more options than when we started cruising.

ENJOY!!!:o:o

Just chiming in.... returned just two days ago from Celebrity Century in the Mediterranean (Sept 7th departure from Barcelona). We chose Select Dining because the fixed times were so inflexible... the 6 pm time meant we were often not back on board in time and the 8:30 pm was way too late for us 50+ ers especially after a long day on shore.

However, while I had specified that we would share a table, we were NEVER put with anyone. Most of the tables in Select now seem to be for two or four people. There was the odd large table but those seemed to be for "groups" traveling together.

We would have loved to be with others to share our experiences and meet new people but that didn't seem to be an option (and everyone is pretty much at a different 'stage' of the meal anyway). Yes, many of the tables for two are very close to each other, but we didn't see a lot of cross table interaction.

So, for a solo person I would suggest a fixed time -- you'll have a ready group of people you'll know to share your experiences with and perhaps hook up for shore trips together -- oh, and make sure you check to see when most of your shore excursions return before chosing early or late seating.

I would also suggest reserving a time each night online ahead of time. You can always change it (or cancel it as we did 33 % of the time because we were to tired to sit for 2hrs in a noisy dining room) but we found some nights everyone wanted to go at the same time and there was a wait. ALSO... book a time for the formal nights! We didn't as they were sea days and figured we'd just show up. When I tried to book I was told they were "sold out" and the only time we could get was 6 pm - or after 9 pm.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jane--

I can't find a way to send you a msg. on CC but think we were on Seabourn Panama Canal with you in Dec. 2008. We love Seabourn but have been happy with Celebrity. Looking at BA to Valpo in Feb. 2010. Would love to hear from you at MLJ619@aol.com.

11/2009 Azamara Quest Ancient Empires

12/2008 Seabourn Legend Panama Canal

12/2007 Celebrity Millennium Spain and T/A Westbound

10/2004 Chardonnay Provence

7/2001 Wilderness Discoverer Alaska

7/1999 A&K Chanterelle Burgundy

5/1998 Princess Dawn Princess Reposition Pacific NW

8/1996 QE2 T/A Eastbound

7/1995 HAL Maasdam Baltic

4/1995 NCL West. Caribbean

3/1994 Star Clipper Windward Islands

3/1992 RCCL Song of America West. Caribbean

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness”—Mark Twain

Jane

Jane,

As someone who has traveled solo I enjoy the idea of open dinning-as you said you meet new people. The nice thing is that if you had set/tradiitonal you might be stuck @ a table with dull people. Go for the open concept,

Carole

Jane,

As someone who has traveled solo I enjoy the idea of open dinning-as you said you meet new people. The nice thing is that if you had set/tradiitonal you might be stuck @ a table with dull people. Go for the open concept,

Carole

Hi Carole,:) you are never "stuck"...the Maitr'd is usually very helpful

when it comes to changing tables.

I sail solo all the time as well and prefer traditional. As for being stuck,

ever been told "you are not welcome"?:eek:...that can happen with open

dining as well.

We just got off the Millennium 14 night cruise - during which we tried out the Select Dining. Never again. But we were a twosome - and to get either a window or balcony table for 2 - you HAD to reserve a table either at 6:30 or 8:30..........not much selecting here. However if you are not as selective as we were, don't care where you sit, or who you sit with you could probably get in anytime for dinner. So, while it was not good for us - it might be perfect for you.

Just chiming in.... returned just two days ago from Celebrity Century in the Mediterranean (Sept 7th departure from Barcelona). We chose Select Dining because the fixed times were so inflexible... the 6 pm time meant we were often not back on board in time and the 8:30 pm was way too late for us 50+ ers especially after a long day on shore.

However, while I had specified that we would share a table, we were NEVER put with anyone. Most of the tables in Select now seem to be for two or four people. There was the odd large table but those seemed to be for "groups" traveling together.

We would have loved to be with others to share our experiences and meet new people but that didn't seem to be an option (and everyone is pretty much at a different 'stage' of the meal anyway). Yes, many of the tables for two are very close to each other, but we didn't see a lot of cross table interaction.

So, for a solo person I would suggest a fixed time -- you'll have a ready group of people you'll know to share your experiences with and perhaps hook up for shore trips together -- oh, and make sure you check to see when most of your shore excursions return before chosing early or late seating.

I would also suggest reserving a time each night online ahead of time. You can always change it (or cancel it as we did 33 % of the time because we were to tired to sit for 2hrs in a noisy dining room) but we found some nights everyone wanted to go at the same time and there was a wait. ALSO... book a time for the formal nights! We didn't as they were sea days and figured we'd just show up. When I tried to book I was told they were "sold out" and the only time we could get was 6 pm - or after 9 pm.

We have just returned from Constelletion and choose select dining we only waited once to be seated and that only amounted to 2 or 3 minutes . we arrived at different times thoughout the week and always shared with 6 or 8 other people it worked really well , the waiters did not start to take our order until the table was full , Im not suggesting your experience was'nt exactly as you have said , but ours worked well for us on this occasion :)

... the adjusted time on a transatlantic cruise I'm taking in November on Constellation is now 9:00 pm which is VERY late. ...

Are you sure about the 9PM? I've read this before but have sailed 4 times in Europe on Celebrity, including 2 TA's and only our first cruise, a Med cruise in 2007, had a time later than 8:30 and that was 8:45. Our TA on the Connie in Sept 2008 and our TA on the Equinox in 2009 had late seating times of 8:30 as well as our Century med cruise this year.

I'm not sure about this but I've gotten the impression that they adjust the times later in mid summer when the sun sets later and when there are a larger percentage of Europeans on board and then adjust back to an 8:30PM seating in September.

Lois: I was hoping you'd speak a little to the types of dinner mates you've been matched up with as it has been our impression that Celebrity will usually try to match one up with similar guests in terms of ages and couple v. families, but not sure if they tend to match singles with singles or not.

I do know that one can check with the Maitre'd either before the first nights dinner, or after if there is an issue, and ask them to make sure they are seated with a certain size table and/or age group and that they are pretty accommodating. The Maitre d' always has a temporary office in one of the lounges just outside of the main dining room for this purpose on embarkation afternoon.

Lastly, whatever you Jane decides to do I'll second the suggestion to find her roll call. It is a great way to meet up with people beforehand so you can start out the cruise already knowing a few people on board, and I've known others who've decided to sit together at dinner after chatting for a bit on the roll calls.

Are you sure about the 9PM? I've read this before but have sailed 4 times in Europe on Celebrity, including 2 TA's and only our first cruise, a Med cruise in 2007, had a time later than 8:30 and that was 8:45. Our TA on the Connie in Sept 2008 and our TA on the Equinox in 2009 had late seating times of 8:30 as well as our Century med cruise this year.

I'm not sure about this but I've gotten the impression that they adjust the times later in mid summer when the sun sets later and when there are a larger percentage of Europeans on board and then adjust back to an 8:30PM seating in September.

Lois: I was hoping you'd speak a little to the types of dinner mates you've been matched up with as it has been our impression that Celebrity will usually try to match one up with similar guests in terms of ages and couple v. families, but not sure if they tend to match singles with singles or not.

I do know that one can check with the Maitre'd either before the first nights dinner, or after if there is an issue, and ask them to make sure they are seated with a certain size table and/or age group and that they are pretty accommodating. The Maitre d' always has a temporary office in one of the lounges just outside of the main dining room for this purpose on embarkation afternoon.

Lastly, whatever you Jane decides to do I'll second the suggestion to find her roll call. It is a great way to meet up with people beforehand so you can start out the cruise already knowing a few people on board, and I've known others who've decided to sit together at dinner after chatting for a bit on the roll calls.

Constellation October 2nd from Barcelona late sitting was 9.00pm :)

Archived