Cruise Virgin - Please Be Gentle

Disco DeeJay

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this wonderful site, so please be gentle with me. :)

I have never been on a cruise before, but will be travelling from Scotland to Orlando for a week at Disney with my wife and 8 y/o daughter, followed by a week on the Freedom Of The Seas around the Western Caribbean, departing from Port Canaveral on 17th October.

Any advice on anything to do with cruising for the first time would be appreciated (just in case I've missed anything on the hundreds of threads that I've already read on here).

A few queries that I do have though are:

We plan to get from Orlando to Port Canaveral by hire car... either Dollar or Budget.... are either of their offices fairly close to the dock?

I assume I'd be best dropping my wife, daughter and luggage at the port and then taking the hire car to the rental companies office, then walking or getting a taxi back to the port. Is this easily possible?

How long is it likely to take on a Sunday morning to get from Orlando to Canaveral and what time is it best to arrive?

We have booked cabin no. 7410, which is described as a deluxe balcony cabin, directly at the aft of the ship.

Has anyone any experience of this cabin? Hopefully, due to its location, we will have a clear, unrestricted view from the rear of the ship and a reasonable sized balcony.

Finally, my daughter is desperate to swim with dolphins (and possibly sharks) does anyone have any preference as to which port would offer her the best experience?

Any other suggestions for excursions that would appeal to an adventurous 8 y/o would also be welcome.

Apologies for so many questions, but I'll offer my thanks in advance for any replies.

First, and foremost, welcome to Cruise Critic.

I am only going to address your car question as I have had experience with this in a different way. We cruised to Port Canveral and had alomost a day there, rather than take an excursion we (DS DFoS) rented, or hired a car from Dollar. There was a shuttle van waiting when we got off the ship, sorry not RCI, and it took us to the rental office. When we got done we dropped the car at the office and they took us back to the ship. SO to answer, check with Dollar to see if you can do an Orlando and drop in Port Canaveral, drop the family at the Port, head to the office and return to the ship. DW and brood can check in just print a second set sail and check in by yourself when you get back. You can plan a suitable meeting place, like right beside the Morgan that's on board. You saw that right there is a blue 2009 Morgan on the Royal Promenade.

By the way DS=Dear Son and DFoS=Dear Friend of Son

Your aft cabin will have a larger than normal balcony...but you will NOT be able to stand at the aft railing and look directly down at the water. There is a considerable amount of ship superstructure between you and the view...you will have a full view outward.

My preference, as a lifeloving human and parent, would be to swim with dolphins, rather than sharks.....just my 2 cents! ANY time you're in the ocean, you are, in effect, swimming with sharks...they are everywhere. You may not see them, but you can truthfully say you've done that! Dolphins are safer!

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this wonderful site, so please be gentle with me. :)

I have never been on a cruise before, but will be travelling from Scotland to Orlando for a week at Disney with my wife and 8 y/o daughter, followed by a week on the Freedom Of The Seas around the Western Caribbean, departing from Port Canaveral on 17th October.

Any advice on anything to do with cruising for the first time would be appreciated (just in case I've missed anything on the hundreds of threads that I've already read on here).

A few queries that I do have though are:

We plan to get from Orlando to Port Canaveral by hire car... either Dollar or Budget.... are either of their offices fairly close to the dock? We use Budget because it is located inside the Orlando airport, and located a few blocks south of the port in Cape Canaveral.

I assume I'd be best dropping my wife, daughter and luggage at the port and then taking the hire car to the rental companies office, then walking or getting a taxi back to the port. Is this easily possible? Yes, we drop everyone plus luggage at the port, and then one person returns the car. The rental car companies have a free shuttle to and from the port.

How long is it likely to take on a Sunday morning to get from Orlando to Canaveral and what time is it best to arrive? It takes 45 minutes to get from the Orlando airport to the port. From the Disney area, it probably takes between 60-90 minutes. We usually arrive around 11am. Boarding starts around that time, and we're one of the first onboard enjoying lunch in the Windjammer by noon.

We have booked cabin no. 7410, which is described as a deluxe balcony cabin, directly at the aft of the ship.

Has anyone any experience of this cabin? Hopefully, due to its location, we will have a clear, unrestricted view from the rear of the ship and a reasonable sized balcony.

Finally, my daughter is desperate to swim with dolphins (and possibly sharks) does anyone have any preference as to which port would offer her the best experience?

Any other suggestions for excursions that would appeal to an adventurous 8 y/o would also be welcome.

Apologies for so many questions, but I'll offer my thanks in advance for any replies.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the prompt replies folks. It's 01.33am here and hopefully a more sensible time where you all are. :)

cb at sea..... Don't ask me why, but my daughter is fascinated by sharks, she watches anything to do with them on the Discovery Channel and would rather watch Jaws than Snow White. :eek:

Obviously, I would have to research the safety aspects of everything, but I know that Discovery Cove at Ocho Rios have swimming with and feeding sharks included in their itinerary.

No matter how much I'm assured it's safe, I'm still not convinced that I will agree to it though. Like you say, better sticking to the dolphins.

medicKen..... Both Dollar and Budget will rent from Orlano International to Port Canaveral and the opposite on our return.

Thanks for the advice re DS and DFoS, but I saw that being explained on a different thread a few minutes ago.:)

Otherwise, I wouldn't have had a clue. Must be an American or Cruise Critic saying.

My daughter watches lots of Disney Channel tv and is becoming very Americanised in her language, which is quite amusing..... and confusing at times for an old timer like me. :D

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply.

>>How long is it likely to take on a Sunday morning to get from Orlando to Canaveral and what time is it best to arrive?<<

Welcome to CC!

We always fly down to MCO a few days before our cruise out of PC. Allow yourself 1 hour to 1:15 before dropping off your car, without traffic.(The road to Cocoa Beach is called the Beachline...AKA FL RT 528). We drop off our luggage at the boat before returning our car and board the shuttle to the pier. We rent from Avis, where you can pick up your car at MCO without those shuttles, plus with the FL plate, you can go straight thru the tolls around Orlando and to Cocoa Beach without change.

Enjoy your time in Orlando and on the Freedom. :)

A great thread on CC is the..."I work in Pt Canaveral thread". A lot of good local information around the PC area.

For the CC PC thread...http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1119114

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising. You will be getting on the FOS the day we get off (we will try to leave her in good shape) :cool:. We did the western itinerary last year and one of the highlights of our trip was Stingray City in Grand Cayman. We booked after we got off the ship with Nativeway Tours. Please be sure to bring sunscreen the sun is brutal and you can burn very quickly. You get to swim with stingrays for 30-45 min then snorkel for 30 min. Happy cruising

>>How long is it likely to take on a Sunday morning to get from Orlando to Canaveral and what time is it best to arrive?<<

Welcome to CC!

We always fly down to MCO a few days before our cruise out of PC. Allow yourself 1 hour to 1:15 before dropping off your car, without traffic.(The road to Cocoa Beach is called the Beachline...AKA FL RT 528). We drop off our luggage at the boat before returning our car and board the shuttle to the pier. We rent from Avis, where you can pick up your car at MCO without those shuttles, plus with the FL plate, you can go straight thru the tolls around Orlando and to Cocoa Beach without change.

A great thread on CC is the..."I work in Pt Canaveral thread". A lot of good local information around the PC area.

For the CC PC thread...http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1119114

Sorry to appear stupid, but could you explain the part about going through the tolls without charge.

I thought that everyone had to pay the tolls.

If not, how do you do this?

Thanks.

Sorry to appear stupid, but could you explain the part about going through the tolls without charge.

If not, how do you do this?

Thanks.

Probably a speed pass sort of thing (Freo said "without change", not "without charge'). Just wanted to say that you DD is a kindred spirit for my 4th son. He lives, eats and sleeps sharks:eek:. I haven't told him that swimming with the sharks is possible and don't intend to, because if he went I'd have to go, too:eek::eek:.

Welcome to CC!

Sorry to hijack your thread :confused:...I am just curious about this poster. Are you from Perth, WA originally? :)

P.S...sorry about the Dockers :D

Not sure where you are going on the Freedom but if you are going to Cozumel, your daughter can swim with the dolphins there. I'd advise you to book it directly with the company rather than through the cruise line. Dolphin swim

Enjoy your cruise!

We did the dolphin thing in Cozumel last month with the kids and really enjoyed it! Also got to see, touch and feed a manatee afterward.

>>Sorry to appear stupid, but could you explain the part about going through the tolls without charge.

If not, how do you do this?<<

The service from Avis is called the Avis eToll service. We have use this service for three years, the charges come off the credit card. From the Avis website for the state of Flordia...

State of Florida

In the state of Florida the renter has the option of using Sun-Pass Only and ePass Only express video lanes without stopping. When a renter utilizes these video based toll lanes, the toll system identifies the car and charges the posted toll plus a daily service fee to the Renter's credit card. There is no charge for Avis eToll unless you use it.

Link to the website...

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/content/display.ac?navId=T4M08S02&ICID=Search&IID=eToll

>>Sorry to hijack your thread :confused:...I am just curious about this poster. Are you from Perth, WA originally? :)

P.S...sorry about the Dockers :D<<

No, I was onboard the USS Midway (CV-41) when we pulled into Victoria Quay in Fremantle for 7 days in November of 1989. My best port in my naval career. :D

I was hoping the Dockers would make it to the Grand Final, but there is always next year. ;)

I haven't told him that swimming with the sharks is possible and don't intend to, because if he went I'd have to go, too:eek::eek:.

I've done an excursion where you get to swim with sharks. They use nurse sharks which are harmless (and about 4 ft long). It's VERY cool and extremely safe.

I also loved that swim with the stingrays excursion. Those stingrays are beautiful and so velvetty. Not at all like you'd imagine. I've actually done that one twice, because the first time my DIL screeched her face off the entire time and sort of ruined it for me and my son tried to act all cool but was terrified too. Not us - we held them, kissed them and posed with them. Very unique experience.

Greetings from another Scot... We're due to sail on Freedom next year for the first time. So excited.

Can't offer any advice re your cruise as we've never cruised before.

I see you've also got a week at Disney planned. If you haven't already, you might want to have a look at a forum called The Dibb. I'm a member there and they were the ones who referred me over here form my cruise. Lots and lots of useful info re Disney and Orlando on that site.

Have a fab holiday.

Probably a speed pass sort of thing (Freo said "without change", not "without charge'). Just wanted to say that you DD is a kindred spirit for my 4th son. He lives, eats and sleeps sharks:eek:. I haven't told him that swimming with the sharks is possible and don't intend to, because if he went I'd have to go, too:eek::eek:.

OOPS. I really should pay more attention. :o

Hadn't thought of the fact that I would need to go in beside the sharks with my DD either. :eek:

I'll be keeping it to myself also, I think.

Be sure to book the dolphin swim directly through the company. The one through the ship is more of a "meet & greet" the dolphins rather than a full swim. It is more than most excursions but worth every penny!

I've gone through the list of trips available in the 'my cruise' section of RCI's website and they offer several different levels of dolphin trips, from the basic meet the dolphins, through swimming with them and also interacting with them via dorsal fin tows etc.

We will definately be doing the top level one, as I believe "if it's worth doing, do it properly" (as long as you can afford it).:)

I'm not too sure if it's because the rate of the £ to the US$ is poor at present and RCI worked out their prices when it was at a much higher level, but the price quoted in £'s by RCI is very competitive and sometimes cheaper than local tour operators prices which are quoted in US$.

Has anyone else from the UK noticed this?

I have four kids and we did the dolphin swim w/ dolphin discovery in cozumel. You take a taxi (10 min drive) and they will take you there and come and pick you up (the cabs are usually waiting, you don't have to call them) We didn't do the royal swim (look at their websit) it was the one right under that one. They spent a good 45 mins. w/ the dolphins. It was great! We actually went to a resort in jamaica in montego bay (can't remember the name of it) someone on this board could probably tell you. It had kayaking, free food, waterslides, lazy river, lots of sand to play in.etc. Grand Caymen, we took our kids to 7mile beach. hope some of this info help. I will say we went to disney and didn't buy the dinner plan. we just don't eat alot when it's hot and it really didn't pay off for us (but maybe for you it will) hope you have a good trip :)

I've gone through the list of trips available in the 'my cruise' section of RCI's website and they offer several different levels of dolphin trips, from the basic meet the dolphins, through swimming with them and also interacting with them via dorsal fin tows etc.

We will definately be doing the top level one, as I believe "if it's worth doing, do it properly" (as long as you can afford it).:)

I'm not too sure if it's because the rate of the £ to the US$ is poor at present and RCI worked out their prices when it was at a much higher level, but the price quoted in £'s by RCI is very competitive and sometimes cheaper than local tour operators prices which are quoted in US$.

Has anyone else from the UK noticed this?

We are on the same cruise and have been sorting out our excursions and the prices in £ are very good at the moment. I have just booked the Kennedy Space Centre tour for the last day the tour ends at Orlando Airport so no need to book transport back for the flight afterwards.

have done this tour twice before and can recommend it, we are also doing the Stingray city tour but that will be booked through RCCL as we only want do do the swimming with stingrays and then return into town for some shopping. Will post later on the Freedom thread.

Jewel

Archived