Grand Caymen Sting Ray City question????

mewshady

Has anyone done the Grand Cayman Stingray City wave runner tour???? We were considering booking this for an excursion on Dec 17 but are not sure, Please help!!!

Some observations; if anyone in your group is small, younger or inexperienced with watercraft like jet-skis or Waverunners it's my opinion to avoid this tour.

Reasons include they hammer the throttles for a full speed run to the sandbar where the rays are and it's a thrill ride, and a tad dangerous for an inexperienced rider.

Second, in December the weather and currents are a little more unpredictable for wave patterns. The rougher waves are more prevalent then.

The time we did this I stopped and put my daughter on in front of me with her hands on the handlebars as well. She was whipped by the time we got there.

Our most recent trip was aboard a much heavier boat with a displacement hull that plowed through the rough water.

Others might have a different experience, ya got mine.

We did this with FatFish Tours last year. It was the 1st time that we booked our own excursion and it turned out to be the best excursion we've ever done. We were inexperienced with waverunners but they take a few minutes to get you familiar with them. There were 4 of us on the tour plus 2 guides. You do head out at full throttle but we felt totally safe. We brought swim goggles with us and we were very glad that we did. It would have been hard to see with the salt spray in the eyes. We've done StingRay City with the large excursion boats and this was much better. More interaction with the stingrays with the small group. We also stopped at a nearby reef and spent about 30 minutes snorkeling. We definitely wouldn't hesitate to do it again if we get back to Grand Caymen.

Singray City is inside a reef, so the waves break outside the reef and it is pretty calm water at the sandbar. Not sure the route the Wave Runners take, but I imagine it is mostly not open ocean between the dock and the sandbar. I would not worry too much about the waves.

If the waves are big enough, you won't even get on the island. They will cancel the port call if the waves get too big at GC.... it happens periodically.

Has anyone done the Grand Cayman Stingray City wave runner tour???? We were considering booking this for an excursion on Dec 17 but are not sure, Please help!!!

I actually have done this and it is NOT a good idea. We have also used Moby Dick tours to get to the stingrays, which is a better idea. Any excursion on a boat can be used to get there. Do not go by waverunner - it is dangerous. It is quite a distance from shore and you cover way too much open water in my opinion to do it on a waverunner. There are currents and waves that change quickly and I was very sorry after the ride to get there, that I had to go back on a waverunner. The wind had picked up and I was glad to get back to shore safely - go by boat and save waverunners for things closer to shore.

Hi mewshady Come on back to the Roll calls for carnival dec 12 cruise we are getting a Meet and Greet meeting together and cabin crawl and or a bar crawl going after life boat drill

Paul

85 days to go

I actually have done this and it is NOT a good idea.

I think your enjoyment of a jetski excursion really depends on your comfort level on that type of vehicle. If you have used snowmobiles, skidoos, motorcycles, ATVs, etc. or are a frequent boater, you'll likely be comfortable on a jetski. If you like an exciting (possibly bumpy) ride, like high speeds, and are comfortable in the water, you'll likely enjoy a jetski excursion. If this isn't you, then you may be much more comfortable with an excursion where they take you to Stingray City by boat.

We take jetskis out to Stingray City on a regular basis, and love it...much more than our trips out by boat. It's all about your comfort level with that type of vehicle and that type of experience... :D

• 4 weeks later...
I actually have done this and it is NOT a good idea. We have also used Moby Dick tours to get to the stingrays, which is a better idea. Any excursion on a boat can be used to get there. Do not go by waverunner - it is dangerous. It is quite a distance from shore and you cover way too much open water in my opinion to do it on a waverunner. There are currents and waves that change quickly and I was very sorry after the ride to get there, that I had to go back on a waverunner. The wind had picked up and I was glad to get back to shore safely - go by boat and save waverunners for things closer to shore.

We just went on this excursion last week. Both of us hated it! I totally agree with this poster. Take a boat if you just have to see or swim with sting rays. Also, please don't take children on this.

Archived