Rc -vs- Carnival " A cop's point of view"

thrltr

thrltr, I don't ever think we will ever get out of the cop way of thinking. My DW is either telling me to not use my cop voice or if we see a situation, she will ask if we need to stick around.

I have sailed RCL and CCL, but not equally. I have seen situations on both lines that otherwise would cause me to react (drunks, loud teens, loud adults), but I am not there to suppress the obnoxious. IF there were a situation that truly needed my help, I would not hesitate.

On a different note, it is truly amazing how these threads can take a turn to get off post and start lambasting other posters regarding opinions.

I live in Rowlett, TX and have worked for Dallas PD 23yrs. Thrltr may not work for Chicago PD proper, but I am sure he has encountered situations that all of you may never want to encounter. Keep safe up there.

Chuck

and yours is the only profession that has its bad as well as its good aspects? As for your last line..... Give me a break.:rolleyes:

We all chose our professions. We all learn to deal with the good and the bad.... Or we get out.

+1.

My DH is a police officer....and he is the crisis intervention trained officer for his department. He tends to put on his blinders when not in uniform. We have seen behavior problems on both Carnival and RCCL....nothing major...and usually a result of too much alcohol.

The one place where we did see down right abuse (that still makes me feel sick when I think back on it) was Disney World. We are Disney Vacation Club members and visit usually twice a year. We love the place, but I see more angry, tired, frustrated parents who snap at their kids. DH did get involved in one situation involving a father and preschool age child. It happens....everywhere.

I've cruised on both RCL and CCL. While I've not really had major issues with the behavior of fellow passengers on either ship, my feeling is that RCL does more to enforce its own rules. (I'm specifically thinking of smoking areas, adult-only areas and chair hogging.) My 22-year-old daughter was FREQUENTLY asked for ID on our recent Royal cruise, despite having no holes punched in her Sea Pass card and being WITH her mother. I suspect it would be difficult (not impossible) for underage passengers to get alcohol on RCL.

After being a verbally supportive Carnival loyalist for years, I took a cruise on Royal and discovered what I'd been missing. I often found myself bored on sea days on Carnival because I believe they rely to heavily on their party atmosphere to keep passengers amused. Royal has all sorts of activities, above and beyond just Bingo and the Hairy Chest/Sexy Legs contest to keep passengers active and entertained.

My 22-year-old daughter LOVED her Royal cruise, preferring it to her Carnival experience. After February, I'll be able to give you the under-20 perspective. My 17-year old son will be cruising with me on RCL for the first time, after having cruised twice with Carnival. He thinks he won't like Royal as well. I'll let you know how it goes!

Ok let me clean this up a bit. I live in Tinley…I work for Cook County. For those of you who are not from here Chicago is in Cook County but I do not work for the Chicago Police Department and yes CPD is up against it every second and I do not envy them. I hope that clears it all up and I can’t wait until May when I can take my DW on the Oasis for her 40th b-day. Actually she says 39 and holding she won’t acknowledge that she will be 40. Oh by the way the deciding factor was that we will be in Cozumel doing the bar hop on her b-day. Stay safe everyone and enjoy life

I love it that you had to defend yourself when all you were doing was making an observation. :rolleyes:

People, just add you observations on the difference between the two cuise lines and leave Thrltr alone.

I appreciate his job and what he does for the public and so should we all. :)

Say Thrltr, have a great cruise next May and enjoy yourselves.

Ok let me clean this up a bit. I live in Tinley…I work for Cook County. For those of you who are not from here Chicago is in Cook County but I do not work for the Chicago Police Department and yes CPD is up against it every second and I do not envy them. I hope that clears it all up and I can’t wait until May when I can take my DW on the Oasis for her 40th b-day. Actually she says 39 and holding she won’t acknowledge that she will be 40. Oh by the way the deciding factor was that we will be in Cozumel doing the bar hop on her b-day. Stay safe everyone and enjoy life

No need to "clean" anything up.

You will always run into people who enjoy showing the rest of us how intelligent they think they are..;)

Thanks for your service..:)

I know I know it’s all subjective but I just want to add my two cents. I have only been on four cruises and two have been RCCL and two have been Carnival. In my opinion I know that I like larger ships…I like sea days and lazy beach days. Food is a big deal but it has been hit or miss for me on both lines. In fact I don’t really care for the dining room food on either line. I did however have the best steak of my life on the Carnival Liberty in the specialty restaurant. Now to the important part….as a law enforcement officer I relish the opportunity to get out of the Chicago land area….get on a beach and decompress. I will not allow other passengers to ruin my vacation and I’m not going to get all prissy and look down my nose at anyone. However on my two Carnival cruises there were numerous occasions where I had to suppress my “cop instincts” and not get involved in situations that I was observing. That never happened on RC so I think that from now on I will cruise RC. Everyone has their reason and this is mine.

Just curious... were the Carnival cruises 3-4 nighters? It seems as though they live up to their 'fun ships' brand on the shorter cruises.

Yes police should be awarded and praised everyday. And they deserve recognition for the job they do. But here on planet earth where you say you live individuals who work in schools might as well be police officers. We are disrespected and assaulted by the children we teach. We have to be their mothers, fathers and social workers. And we have to deal with the parents of these troubled individuals. That's another story. We have a very hard job. And by no means am I comparing us to police officers. But each year we do more behavior management and less teaching. People fail to realize that the education of their children is very important it shapes their futures.

I do agree that teachers have a demanding job that has changed quite a bit over the past 10-15 years. Having said that, please show me a job that hasn't:rolleyes: And I'm also wondering what this has to do with the original intent of the thread?

I do agree that teachers have a demanding job that has changed quite a bit over the past 10-15 years. Having said that, please show me a job that hasn't:rolleyes: And I'm also wondering what this has to do with the original intent of the thread?

Seems like someone just wanted a little credit (sympathy?) for having a dangerous job too.:rolleyes:

Yes police should be awarded and praised everyday. And they deserve recognition for the job they do. But here on planet earth where you say you live individuals who work in schools might as well be police officers. We are disrespected and assaulted by the children we teach. We have to be their mothers, fathers and social workers. And we have to deal with the parents of these troubled individuals. That's another story. We have a very hard job. And by no means am I comparing us to police officers. But each year we do more behavior management and less teaching. People fail to realize that the education of their children is very important it shapes their futures.

Everyone deserves to be paid more. Everyone has job responsibilities that probably no one else knows about, and few would turn their noses at a raise. Everyone is underpaid and no one will let anyone else forget it. ;)

I know I know it’s all subjective but I just want to add my two cents. I have only been on four cruises and two have been RCCL and two have been Carnival. In my opinion I know that I like larger ships…I like sea days and lazy beach days. Food is a big deal but it has been hit or miss for me on both lines. In fact I don’t really care for the dining room food on either line. I did however have the best steak of my life on the Carnival Liberty in the specialty restaurant. Now to the important part….as a law enforcement officer I relish the opportunity to get out of the Chicago land area….get on a beach and decompress. I will not allow other passengers to ruin my vacation and I’m not going to get all prissy and look down my nose at anyone. However on my two Carnival cruises there were numerous occasions where I had to suppress my “cop instincts” and not get involved in situations that I was observing. That never happened on RC so I think that from now on I will cruise RC. Everyone has their reason and this is mine.

You might give Princess a try I think the food is better. Lorelle

As a retired law enforcement officer from a city/county/state/federal department that may or may not have been in a remote/rural/suburban/urban area, I can relate to the original posting. I hope I have not offended anyone by taking this stand.

I would like to add that I can still "profile" people. When I see an extremely intoxicated person get on the ships elevator after returning from a beach day port visit I observe them. When their face color changes from healthy hues to a grayish green, I take the stairs. I also predict that housekeeping will soon take that elevator out of service for the next hour.

PS...This skill works on any cruise line.

As a retired law enforcement officer from a city/county/state/federal department that may or may not have been in a remote/rural/suburban/urban area, I can relate to the original posting. I hope I have not offended anyone by taking this stand.

I would like to add that I can still "profile" people. When I see an extremely intoxicated person get on the ships elevator after returning from a beach day port visit I observe them. When their face color changes from healthy hues to a grayish green, I take the stairs. I also predict that housekeeping will soon take that elevator out of service for the next hour.

PS...This skill works on any cruise line.

Now that was funny....

And yours is the only profession that has its bad as well as its good aspects? As for your last line..... give me a break.:rolleyes:

We all chose our professions. We all learn to deal with the good and the bad.... or we get out.

Well said.

No need to clean it up. Thank you for your service and your observations. I worked in a police department for 23 years. It doesn't matter where the department is - crap happens everywhere. People who don't work in a police department really have no clue what goes on there.

thrltr, I don't ever think we will ever get out of the cop way of thinking. My DW is either telling me to not use my cop voice or if we see a situation, she will ask if we need to stick around.

I have sailed RCL and CCL, but not equally. I have seen situations on both lines that otherwise would cause me to react (drunks, loud teens, loud adults), but I am not there to suppress the obnoxious. IF there were a situation that truly needed my help, I would not hesitate.

On a different note, it is truly amazing how these threads can take a turn to get off post and start lambasting other posters regarding opinions.

I live in Rowlett, TX and have worked for Dallas PD 23yrs. Thrltr may not work for Chicago PD proper, but I am sure he has encountered situations that all of you may never want to encounter. Keep safe up there.

Chuck

Ditto

Fantastic input on the cruise "criminals"....I have a similar problem being a nurse but in reverse, I have to try to elude people instead of managing bad behavior . Once people find out my job title, I have to run from the "can you take a look at this on my leg?", or "How come it hurts when I do this...?" Bless both the Cops and the Teachers...you are both underpaid, and overworked!

I want to say how nice it is to hear all the positive comments about teachers and cops. We travel as a family that includes 2 teachers and my SIL who is a cop. We save and scrimp to take the family vacation during summer to accomodate the their schedules and our children who are students. My SIL is also in the Reserves. We had planned a cruise to Hawaii for 18 months and my SIL got called to active 29 days before our cruise. He had not purchased travel insurance. When our TA called RCI and explained, they made the refund happen, even though they were under no obligation. We are so excited that we are booked on FOS for next summer. We love RCI and appreciate what they did for us during a tough time for our family.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas. That is what this site is for and if it were not for cc who knows what kind of vacations I would have had. I would have never gone to cinnamon bay if not for cc or to jack shack on Grand Turk. I have taken both a short cruise and a seven with both lines. I do understand that bad behavior is everywhere and I am sure that it happens on RC as well….I just have not seen it but I know it is out there. Like I said earlier I will not let fellow passengers or the cruise line employees prevent me from enjoying my vacation. On a side note I have found the ship employees to be top notch and always friendly on both lines.

Now to the important part….as a law enforcement officer I relish the opportunity to get out of the Chicago land area….get on a beach and decompress. I will not allow other passengers to ruin my vacation and I’m not going to get all prissy and look down my nose at anyone. However on my two Carnival cruises there were numerous occasions where I had to suppress my “cop instincts” and not get involved in situations that I was observing. That never happened on RC so I think that from now on I will cruise RC. Everyone has their reason and this is mine.

Certainly a different way to spin a subjective opinion.

Passengers on Carnival and Royal Caribbean are drawn form the same pool of consumers. Any "situation" you might observe on Carnival could also happen on Royal Caribbean. If you really want to decompress I think you need to move on to other cruise lines. More relaxing cruise lines are Celebrity and HAL.

One "cop instinct" I have observed over the years is stereotyping. That is not a good instinct.

The only problems with drunks I have encountered have both been on RCL cruises .. I guess I should say Im never going to cruise RCL again... really??

Pax change and they do things they should not.

During a past guest party I had this old man sitting next to me in the theater (so I couldnt get up and easily move and I had people on the other side of me too while they were doing something up on stage. He was so drunk, he spilled drinks on me repeatedly. Dropped his glass on my shoulder, and he couldnt hear it (I guess he was so drunk he couldnt hear either).

The other time was during the few scheduled bridge times in the card room, so group of about 10 drunks came into the card room to play a very loud gambling game. The oldest was some old lady who was shouting and carrying on, We had to quit playing after only a little time, no one would play bridge with the drunks carrying on, especially the one lady.

I should now label RCL as a drunks cruise and avoid them because of some old people who were really drunk

Where in Richardson are you?? We are Floyd and Beltline area. Great little city.

Archived