IS the Cat. SY Considered a Suite?

bzv143

You don't get the full suite perks such as the Neptune Lounge, priority boarding/tender, breakfast in the PG..... You get a 'telephone concierge'. I didn't have any reason to call, so I don't know how well that works. The HAL site has the specifics as to the 'perks'.

Best benefit is the suite bathroom setup, additional space inside and larger verandah. The Telephone Concierge is basically the services of the Neptune Lounge via phone. Think of it as one button to get the benefits of any area's 'front desk'... Spa appts, dinner arrangements, shore ex bookings, etc etc

From HAL's website:

Earn Bonus Cruise Day Credits

Increase your Mariner Star status simply by enjoying your cruise.

In addition to earning Cruise Day credits for each actual day sailed, there are also easy ways you can earn bonus Cruise Day credits. The more Cruise Day credits you collect, the faster you increase your Mariner Star status, and the more exciting rewards you’ll receive.

• Suite Bonus When you pay a published fare for a spacious suite or penthouse on your next cruise you’ll not only enjoy special amenities, but you’ll also qualify for double cruise day credits. For example, a guest who pays published fare for suite accommodations for a 10-day cruise earns 20 cruise day credits.
  • Onboard Spending Bonus Effective with cruises on or after September 18, 2009, one bonus cruise day credit will be granted for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. There is a limit of one bonus day for each day sailed, and 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus†.

From HAL's website:

• Onboard Spending Bonus Effective with cruises on or after September 18, 2009, one bonus cruise day credit will be granted for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. There is a limit of one bonus day for each day sailed, and 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus†.

Does anyone know if the spending bonus days can be based on spending pre-departure? I have booked a Retreat Cabana for the full week and obviously had to pre-pay for that; and, I am considering purchasing a few wine cards and liquor pre-departure ... will all that spending credit?

Does anyone know if the spending bonus days can be based on spending pre-departure? I have booked a Retreat Cabana for the full week and obviously had to pre-pay for that; and, I am considering purchasing a few wine cards and liquor pre-departure ... will all that spending credit?

Yes. Just remember the spending credit days will only be calculated and added after the cruise is over. Good news is that it all eventually counts.

Yes, they will - even pre-purchasing HAL-sponsored shore excursions will count towards Bonus Cruise days. As Randyk47 has stated, it will all be added up & credited to your Mariner account after the cruise is over.

So, you will get a nice surprise after arriving home and checking you Mariner status.

Enjoy that suite ( of course, now you will be spoiled forever! :D) and Smooth Sailing Always!

I could care less about the perks ... all I know is it's an absolutely wonderful cabin and a terrific value. As DBA said, the bathroom is amazing, the jacuzzi fantastic, the size and space out of this world. They could offer no extra perks whatsoever and I would book it every time if it were available. Unfortunately on the newer ships it appears they have taken most of them away.

My favorite feature of the S cabins is the two sinks and the separate shower and tub/shower in the head. Two can easily bathe simultaneously which makes for less wated time in the am!

Shower together and think of all the water you will be saving,

Not to mention what might happen afterward. :eek::eek:

:confused::confused: Booked a Cat. SY on Noordam--is this considered a suite? Are there any perks, or is this category of cabin just a larger verandah cabin? :confused::confused:

I guess it depends on your definition of what a "suite" should consist of to be sold as that.... In my opinion, cruiselines wrongly call (hype) many verandah cabins "suites", for exmple on HAL's smaller ships such as Zaandam what I would refer to as a "verandah cabin" is billed as a "verandah suite". On the Vista class ships such as the Noordam, the SY (as others have mentioned) is larger than the standard verandah cabins + has the larger, nicer bathroom & larger balcony. In all fairness, the cruiselines offer images showing the layout & give square footage so you do know what you are getting regardless of what it's called. The SY-SS category on HAL's ships is a wonderful cabin & one of our very favorites. Unless you were expecting more than one large room along with a very nice balcony & bathroom you will love it! Enjoy! :)

Best benefit is the suite bathroom setup, additional space inside and larger verandah. The Telephone Concierge is basically the services of the Neptune Lounge via phone. Think of it as one button to get the benefits of any area's 'front desk'... Spa appts, dinner arrangements, shore ex bookings, etc etc

Which is exactly why I don't like paying SY prices for the HC cabins on the Vista ships! [The two forward ones on deck 5]

The bathroom does not have double sinks - just a small one as in a VA.

No Jacuzzi.

And the verandah is as small as a VA cabin's.

We'll book a VA or a suite, but don't find value in a HC SY cabin. :(

we book the suites ( Deluxe Verandah's), but there is nothing wrong with the Superior Verandah Suite (SY). in fact, if you compare it dollar to dollar you are getting good value for your money. No running to the front desk. Just call the concierge and they will take care of you. You have a very nice stateroom with lots of space, nice bathroom and bigger verandah.

enjoy your cruise :)

These are all 'mini' (translation -'smaller-less than' so u get less) suites as the full suites are called Deluxe Suites....on HALS website under staterooms!

I for one, do so wish HAL wld consider renaming them Deluxe 'Mini' Suites instead of 'Superior' Suites, to perhaps help clear up the 'suite' confusion..

Anyone else got any other suggestions?

Have happy cruisin'! :)

These are all 'mini' (translation -'smaller-less than' so u get less) suites as the full suites are called Deluxe Suites....on HALS website under staterooms!

I for one, do so wish HAL wld consider renaming them Deluxe 'Mini' Suites instead of 'Superior' Suites, to perhaps help clear up the 'suite' confusion..

Anyone else got any other suggestions?

Have happy cruisin'! :)

Maybe they just ought to not call them suites. Superior veranda staterooms? My other thought would be to change the name of the deluxe suites, maybe call them Neptune Suites or Deluxe Neptune Suites. Of course people will make what they will of a name so there probably will always be some level of confusion but I do agree that a simple name adjustment or change might help.

Archived