LIVE from the Sapphire - 33 days from Seattle to Sydney

Pia1913

Just to add another twist to this thread...

Its not only cruise ships that head downunder for our season.

Today in Christchurch , the Cathedral ...

(yes even after the earthquake)...

rang the bells at midday for 30 minutes , to welcome the Godwits , who have flown from their grounds in Alaska, on one of the longest bird migrations in the world to spend the season down here.

Bells to ring to mark godwits' arrival

Christchurch Cathedral bells will ring out at noon to mark the end of the world's longest migration.

The first bar-tailed godwits to finish their more than 11,000km journey from Alaska have been spotted on Canterbury's Avon-Heathcote estuary.

About 2000 more were expected to land over the next few weeks.

The bells will be rung for half an hour from midday today to welcome the birds to their wintering home.

The Alaska Science Centre used satellite telemetry to follow the migrations of the godwits in 2007 and 2008, confirming the godwits as the longest non-stop fliers for a land bird.

e7_tracks_distances.jpg

Glow Worm Caves.

We have two spots left on our Auckland full day private tour (max. 8 people) to the Waitomo glow worm caves. The price is $129NZ.

If interested email me at canadiancruisers1@yahoo.ca for more info.

Hi there, jave sent you an email but Phil and Ruth Baines would like to take the 2 places, if possible.

Afraid we're not Canadians but are Brits.:rolleyes:

Thanks very much

Just a quickie; satellite going in and out. Mostly out. We have to go through immigration and get off ship tomorrow for 2 hours, so even if I have a signal I'll be late in posting.

To Evana: 1600 getting on in San Fran.

Hello Pia.

I am Phil Baines and my wife is Ruth. I have enjoyed reading through the 120+ pages of the roll call and can see you have quite a journalistic talent. Its also really exciting to read you live posts as it extends our upcoming cruise and whets our appetite.

We are pretty much cruise virgins though we did do 1 week on Holland America Zandaam to Alaska inside passage as part of a 2 week tour.

We are taking this huge (for us) cruise to celebrate our Ruby Wedding and because we are now both (just) retired.

I wondered how expensive it is to use the internet on board and whether its better to bring a small notebook with wi-fi and pay to use the net.

Could you please advise?

Looking forward to the rest of your blog.

ps I have had the Sapphire webcam live on my desktop for months now and its great to see the vessel actually sailing accross to where we will join in Sydney.

Many thanks

cosephil - Just off the Caribbean Princess. We paid $58.95 for 110 minute package. $3.95 of that was sign up fee. So, $ .55 per minute. Pia probably has free internet. A perk for loyal Princess cruisers. We are not there yet! We were in the same cruise last fall, that Pia is currently sailing. We can't remember how big a package that we purchased, but we were immensely glad that we were able to communicate with family and friends via the internet. Phone service was unpredictable and expensive. DH took netbook (it fit in room safe). We would compose our message off line then do a mass e-mailing when we logged in. He also kept downloading photos so camera was ready. The internet cafe was usually busy with those folks who did not bring their netbooks.

RickEk - Last fall there was a King Neptune "Cross the Equator" ceremony. What a sight! Fish kissing (even by the Captain), crew members dressed in drag, numerous "victims". Some even volunteered for the experience! It was hilarious! And the most amazing thing was that post ceremony, the crew drained the yucky pool, washed, painted and refilled the pool with great speed.

I wondered how expensive it is to use the internet on board and whether its better to bring a small notebook with wi-fi and pay to use the net.

Princess has several internet packages to choose from. The larger the package, the lower the per minute charge. Once you have purchased your package, you can access the internet via the internet cafe or your own netbook using wifi any where on the ship ( signal permitting )

I believe these are some of the current packages available for purchase:

150 minutes @ $75

250 minutes @ $100

500 minutes @ $200

There may be other packages available also

So does Princess have a King Neptune ceremony as you cross the Equator?

Only once did Princess not have a King Neptune ceremony crossing the equator when we sailed with them. We sailed a B2B on the old Crown from Hawaii to Tahiti and then returned to Hawaii. On the first leg we had the ceremony, on the second we had an Equatorial Olympics game, but no ceremony. I think they stopped that years ago as they got a lot of negative feedback from passengers that were very disappointed. I felt really bad for those first timers (polywogs) that were so looking forward to it, and found out it wasn't going to happen on that cruise.

Only once did Princess not have a King Neptune ceremony crossing the equator when we sailed with them. We sailed a B2B on the old Crown from Hawaii to Tahiti and then returned to Hawaii. On the first leg we had the ceremony, on the second we had an Equatorial Olympics game, but no ceremony. I think they stopped that years ago as they got a lot of negative feedback from passengers that were very disappointed. I felt really bad for those first timers (polywogs) that were so looking forward to it, and found out it wasn't going to happen on that cruise.

Darn.....:(:(:(

Bob

Just an FYI - we did this trip a few years ago and when you get to Samoa, there will be a tent set up at the dock with cell phones you can use to call back to North America for very reasonable prices. It was nice to be able to touch base with those at home.

When I say I think they stopped that years ago, I meant the Equitoral Olympics. Ever since that cruise, we have always had the crossing ceremony and we have sailed the same route several times. ;)

Thanks for clearing that up...:):):)

Bob

Just to add another twist to this thread...

Its not only cruise ships that head downunder for our season.

Today in Christchurch , the Cathedral ...

(yes even after the earthquake)...

rang the bells at midday for 30 minutes , to welcome the Godwits , who have flown from their grounds in Alaska, on one of the longest bird migrations in the world to spend the season down here.

And not a single GPS in the entire flock.

Pia,

Can you ask someone when they have Halloween scheduled for the Syd - LA leg as the 31st Oct is Auckland? Or Do they even do anything at all for Halloween?

Thanks

Anthony

We've been on board several Princess cruises at Halloween and the level of celebration varies, but lots of people dress up - some in very elaborate costumes - and the culinary staff does fabulous displays of carved and decorated pumpkins. If there are lots of kids on board there is usually some kind of 'trick or treat' type activity, seem to recall at least one time that there was some sort of themed scary movie. YMMV, of course, but at a minimum, I would anticipate some in costumes and the pumpkin displays.

We've been on board several Princess cruises at Halloween and the level of celebration varies, but lots of people dress up - some in very elaborate costumes - and the culinary staff does fabulous displays of carved and decorated pumpkins. If there are lots of kids on board there is usually some kind of 'trick or treat' type activity, seem to recall at least one time that there was some sort of themed scary movie. YMMV, of course, but at a minimum, I would anticipate some in costumes and the pumpkin displays.

And the crew will usually be dressed up too!

Saturday morning and another day at sea. I’m ready to see and touch land again, so tomorrow, Moorea will be quite welcome. But we still have today, which can be as lazy and as busy as you choose it to be. In fact, the gung ho gym people that start so early on day one and two are no longer seen. We get there a little past seven and very rarely have waited for equipment.

Just as an aside, my cabin is beginning to look like a mini Costco. I don’t know why, but we received another full setup yesterday. That makes three in 12 days. We now have a room full of water, Perrier, Pepsi, Coke, beer, wine and assorted boozes. I even asked room service why and the answer was; “not to worry madam, this is complementary.” OK. Madam will not worry.

Some of today’s offerings are an enrichment lecture and film about the songs and dances of the Society Islands, the movie; Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, a talk on Samoa and Fiji and another Golden Radio Days lecture. We’re also being “treated” to the wonderful “up to 75% off sale.” I’m sure this won’t the last one.

Tonight’s entertainment will be a double header of the singer Lovena Fox (I didn’t see her show the other night but heard she was very good) and the not-so-funny Steve Bruner. Explorer’s will feature the mentalist Wayne Hoffman who I also heard was pretty good. Maybe we’ll check him out. Fusion has something called Gift of Gab. Wonder if that’s like the Liar’s Club. I think we’ll look in on that too.

To answer a question, yes, they did do King Neptune and all the slime. Also the 500 minute internet package is $175, not $200.

Breakfast beckons.

Also the 500 minute internet package is $175, not $200.

Oops, the minutes and prices I posted were copied and pasted from the Captain's Circle benefits. Guess what they claim as the value of the benefit given to Platinum and Elites is not the same price charged to those paying or maybe the price list hasn't been updated yet.:eek::confused: An advantage to those who have to pay, though:)

Just as an aside, my cabin is beginning to look like a mini Costco. I don’t know why, but we received another full setup yesterday. That makes three in 12 days. We now have a room full of water, Perrier, Pepsi, Coke, beer, wine and assorted boozes. I even asked room service why and the answer was; “not to worry madam, this is complementary.” OK. Madam will not worry.

Less shopping for you at your next scheduled shopping stop ....LOL:)

I thought you were booking an inside cabin across the hall for storage??? :eek:

Give them out for trivia prizes.

Saturday morning and another day at sea. I’m ready to see and touch land again, so tomorrow, Moorea will be quite welcome. But we still have today, which can be as lazy and as busy as you choose it to be. In fact, the gung ho gym people that start so early on day one and two are no longer seen. We get there a little past seven and very rarely have waited for equipment.

Some of today’s offerings are an enrichment lecture and film about the songs and dances of the Society Islands, the movie; Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, a talk on Samoa and Fiji and another Golden Radio Days lecture. We’re also being “treated” to the wonderful “up to 75% off sale.” I’m sure this won’t the last one.

Tonight’s entertainment will be a double header of the singer Lovena Fox (I didn’t see her show the other night but heard she was very good) and the not-so-funny Steve Bruner. Explorer’s will feature the mentalist Wayne Hoffman who I also heard was pretty good. Maybe we’ll check him out. Fusion has something called Gift of Gab. Wonder if that’s like the Liar’s Club. I think we’ll look in on that too.

To answer a question, yes, they did do King Neptune and all the slime. Also the 500 minute internet package is $175, not $200.

Breakfast beckons.

Pia;

Enjoy your sea day. Looking forward to reading your report on Moorea.....:):):)

Bob

Hubby & I did this cruise last year on the Star...the Sydney to Los Angeles trip. Hands down, our favorite port was Bora Bora. We have never seen such beauty in or out of the water. We did a CC private tour that took us snorkeling in 3 different places, and it couldn't have been more clear or warm if we had been swimming in our aquarium at home!

I am enjoying your "Live" thread very much, as it brings back so many great memories of our trip of a lifetime. We had such fun with other CC members, and aside from missing Christchurch, an all-around perfect cruise.

Peggy

Philip

We would love to have you join our tour. I have sent you an email with all the details. Let me know when you have a confirmed booking with Milestones Tours.

Hi there, jave sent you an email but Phil and Ruth Baines would like to take the 2 places, if possible.

Afraid we're not Canadians but are Brits.:rolleyes:

Thanks very much

Archived