Luggage Tags

Luvmesomeme

Just curious...I was just getting ready to print out my luggage tags last night when I thought about all the folding, taping, stapling etc. and remembered that there are luggage tags available at embarkation. What is the advantage of using one over the other? Which do you use? Thank You.

At the risk of being slightly flamed for doing an arts and crafts project I print the tags out at home on card stock. Cut off the excess, fold, and hole punch. Simple cable ties work great to attach them to a handle. It really isn't all that involved, expensive, or difficult. That said the simplest answer may be to wait until you're at the cruise terminal and get tags from the porters. A few minutes to fill them out and you're good to go.

I print the tags out at home on card stock. Cut off the excess, fold, and hole punch. Simple cable ties work great to attach them to a handle.
Ditto, except I use ordinary paper and put a blank sheet behind each one before folding so that they're 6-ply after folding.

Once you have recieved your cabin #, print a sheet of sticky labels with the necessaary info, and stick one to each tag at the dockside. Saves all kinds of time.

Marilyn

You have to make certain that you put more than just your cabin number on your tags.

You will also need to indicate the deck number that your cabin is on -- the S class will be numbered differently than the R class, Vista class and Signature class ships.

AND you also need to indicate A for Aft or F for for Forward (elevators that your luggage will be placed on to get to the proper deck).

At the risk of being slightly flamed

Yeah me too. At the suggestion of a fellow CCer, we will use our laminator (had it anyway, got it at Costco for $18) and cable ties on the tags printed at home.

In June, our checked luggage went from our hotel room to our cabin and we never saw the porters or had any opportunity to get tags at the port.

The "tagging" project will not take much time and will add to the countdown and anticipation for our next cruise.:)

It can be kind of chaotic on embarkation day. I don't always see someone to get tags from. I'd make them at home. JMHO

In June, our checked luggage went from our hotel room to our cabin and we never saw the porters or had any opportunity to get tags at the port.

Therein lies the problem. Sometimes the terminals are relatively quiet and organized, sometimes they're chaotic and crowded. Personally I put our tags at the hotel before we go over to the terminal. I've particularly noticed that sometimes if you use a HAL or hotel transfer the porters start grabbing bags and hauling them off. I'm not going to take the chance that an untagged bag gets grabbed up.

We printed ours on somewhat thicker computer paper and it worked just fine. Of course it didn't rain so that helped too.

Putting them in a clear plastic thing would also be a help. Holes and all.

Randy seems to use cardstock. That would work too but we have a very simple printer and I would want it to get caught in there.

I've decided to use a little of all of your advice. I printed them on card stock. Instead all the folding I'll cut out and fold in half the parts with the information on it and insert it into a plastic page protector, make a hole, attach and secure with a cable tie. The best of all.:D

I would hate to end up with missing luggage and not be able to enter the dining room dressed appropriately:rolleyes:

Yeah me too. At the suggestion of a fellow CCer, we will use our laminator (had it anyway, got it at Costco for $18) and cable ties on the tags printed at home.

This is what we plan to do. Laminating the tags will keep them from getting torn up.

I would hate to end up with missing luggage and not be able to enter the dining room dressed appropriately:rolleyes:
Just for insurance, put a 2nd tag on each bag. Don't do anything special to that one - just print on paper, fold, and staple (or tape) it on - and see if it makes ot OK! :)

We printed ours on somewhat thicker computer paper and it worked just fine. Of course it didn't rain so that helped too.

Randy seems to use cardstock. That would work too but we have a very simple printer and I would want it to get caught in there.

Understand the concern about the cardstock. I should caveat my use of cardstock by saying that it's not the real heavy stuff. I actually went to Office Max and asked what was the best weight stock that would give me a heavier/stronger tag but not mess up my HP color printers. I guess I'd best describe it as medium weight cardstock. Probably could accomplish the same thing with regular paper but I also think I'd recommend laminating the plain paper version for sure. Really depends if you follow the folding instructions or trim off the excess. A single layer paper tag would be pretty filmsy in my mind. I have experimented with laminating my cardstock version and that makes a pretty tough tag though I'm not sure that's necessary. Of course my experience over years and years of travel tell me that there is not absolutely for sure answer to any tags. I've had cheap tags last forever or one trip but more expensive and supposedly stronger tags have not faired much better.

Same here -- I have a very simple printer and it won't take cardstock.

That's where I got the idea of putting the paper tags into plastic sleeves. Originally I was going to laminate them. Then realized the plastic sleeve could be used over and over.

We had our first cruise in January. I printed out the tags and folded them as per instruction, then laminated them with the simple laminate sheets from Wal Mart, stapled them on.

One thing I have noticed, NOBODY mentioned that you should always put a tag INSIDE each bag...just in case the outer tag gets torn off...at least you have a chance that someone will open the suitcase and be able to identify the owner...

You have to make certain that you put more than just your cabin number on your tags.

You will also need to indicate the deck number that your cabin is on -- the S class will be numbered differently than the R class, Vista class and Signature class ships.

AND you also need to indicate A for Aft or F for for Forward (elevators that your luggage will be placed on to get to the proper deck).

"necessary info" covers this, basically dupilcate the requested info on the luggage tags: worked for us

We had our first cruise in January. I printed out the tags and folded them as per instruction, then laminated them with the simple laminate sheets from Wal Mart, stapled them on.

One thing I have noticed, NOBODY mentioned that you should always put a tag INSIDE each bag...just in case the outer tag gets torn off...at least you have a chance that someone will open the suitcase and be able to identify the owner...

I print out a full itinerary and place a copy in the outside pocket of every suitcase as well as placing one inside on the top.

Archived