New to HAL--a few basic questions

HollDoll

Hi! Please don't yell at me cause I probably could find all these answers by searching, but they're quite basic and I figured you guys could answer lots quicker than I could search so, thanks in advance for any help. Have been cruising Princess but think I will try HAL (Westerdam) next summer to Alaska. Just a few basis questions: Does HAL also add the auto tip, and if so, how much? Are the balconies covered on HAL, or does it depend on location? I see from reading that you can order from the dinner menu for room service--is that for all catagories of rooms? How many specialty restaurants are there? How many formal nights on a 7 day cruise? And on formal night, are the specialty restaurants also formal? What are the hours of the buffet? Is there any facility on board that compares to Princess' International Cafe? For anytime dining, can you make an actual reservation early that same day?

I'm sure I'll think of more, but those are my basic questions. Again, thanks for any help any of you can provide!!

Hi! Please don't yell at me cause I probably could find all these answers by searching, but they're quite basic and I figured you guys could answer lots quicker than I could search so, thanks in advance for any help. Have been cruising Princess but think I will try HAL (Westerdam) next summer to Alaska. Just a few basis questions: Does HAL also add the auto tip, and if so, how much? The Hotel Service Charge is $11 per day per person.

Are the balconies covered on HAL, or does it depend on location? Most are completely covered -- there are a few cabins in the stern of the ship that have partially covered balconies/verandahs.

I see from reading that you can order from the dinner menu for room service--is that for all catagories of rooms? All cabin categories can order dinner to their cabins.

How many specialty restaurants are there? How many formal nights on a 7 day cruise? Pinnacle Grill -- lunch - $10 per person; Pinnacle Grill - dinner - $20 per person; Canaletto -- open for dinner only - free.

And on formal night, are the specialty restaurants also formal? Yes -- the specialty restaurants follow the same dress code as the main dining room. The Canaletto may be less formal in Alaska.

What are the hours of the buffet? Lido buffet -- breakfast - continental usually opens at 6:30 -- regular full breakfast will open at 7 or 7:30 depending on the port. They close down at 10:30. Then they reopen for lunch at 11:30 -- close down at 2:30. Dinner is from 5:30 - 8 PM. The Terrace Grill opens at 11:30 and closes either at 5 or 6 -- check your daily program. The sandwich area and pizza area inside the Lido buffet will stay open until 4:40 - 5 PM.

Is there any facility on board that compares to Princess' International Cafe? The Exploration's Cafe -- located on the port side of the Crow's Nest.

For anytime dining, can you make an actual reservation early that same day? The Open Seating dining is from 5:15 - 9 PM. You can make reservations for the times between 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9 for up to 3 days at a time for any size table you want.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but those are my basic questions. Again, thanks for any help any of you can provide!!

We love the Westerdam.

Hal does add an auto tip of $11 per day.

From what I've read anyone can order off the dinner menu for room service, not just certain classes of staterooms.

You can indeed make a reservation if you have anytime dining. Some have made standing reservations the entire cruise for a certain time/waiter because they enjoyed them so much.

Wow! Every single answer is a positive for me! Every one!! Great news and I'm certain I'll be aboard next summer. The cabins look slightly larger than Princess as well (I'm looking at the Verandah oceanview staterooms and the one category above that--the way they name their various types of cabins I find rather confusing...). Well, wait, I guess then if one doesn't want to dress for formal night, they are then restricted to the buffet or room service, right? And how strict are they for formal night, esp. for the men? Will a dark jacket and tie do, or not good enough?

Wow! Every single answer is a positive for me! Every one!! Great news and I'm certain I'll be aboard next summer. The cabins look slightly larger than Princess as well (I'm looking at the Verandah oceanview staterooms and the one category above that--the way they name their various types of cabins I find rather confusing...). Well, wait, I guess then if one doesn't want to dress for formal night, they are then restricted to the buffet or room service, right? And how strict are they for formal night, esp. for the men? Will a dark jacket and tie do, or not good enough?

Cabin types are Ocean View (window) - Veranda (balcony). DH wore a gray sport coat on formal night and fit in very nicely.

Link to my pics of the Westerdam and our Caribbean cruise are in my signature if you would like to see what she looks like. A gorgeous ship, good food, great bed :). Our VA cabin was 9 x 21 feet (including bathroom and closet, etc.) with a 6 x 9 balcony to give you an idea of the size.

Well, wait, I guess then if one doesn't want to dress for formal night, they are then restricted to the buffet or room service, right? And how strict are they for formal night, esp. for the men? Will a dark jacket and tie do, or not good enough?
In theory the entire ship is formal on formal night. In actuality, you'll see many people eating in the Lido buffet, maybe even the Canaletto, dressed casually. As long as you don't wear tee shirts or shorts you'll pass inspection. :)

In the MDR on formal night a dark jacket, tie, and slacks will do just fine. You'll probably see about 35% tuxes, 55% dark suits or jackets, and 10% light colored suits/jackets.

The cabins look slightly larger than Princess as well (I'm looking at the Verandah oceanview staterooms and the one category above that--the way they name their various types of cabins I find rather confusing...).

We had a basic balcony on the caribbean Princess and similar on 2 HAL ships and the cabins and the bathrooms were bigger.

Well, wait, I guess then if one doesn't want to dress for formal night, they are then restricted to the buffet or room service, right? And how strict are they for formal night, esp. for the men? Will a dark jacket and tie do, or not good enough?

Yes, it would work.

Awww, thanks!! Too bad it's not till next June!!! But I'm really intrigued with HAL now. I like a lot of the things I've heard here so far, and am going to start lurking around and discovering even more good stuff I'm sure! I've done two Princess and one Regent and though I do like Princess (Regent a little too expensive for my budget), HAL sounds as good, if not better. The only question I didn't get answered is how many formal nights to expect on a 7-day--I assume two?

Awww, thanks!! Too bad it's not till next June!!! But I'm really intrigued with HAL now. I like a lot of the things I've heard here so far, and am going to start lurking around and discovering even more good stuff I'm sure! I've done two Princess and one Regent and though I do like Princess (Regent a little too expensive for my budget), HAL sounds as good, if not better. The only question I didn't get answered is how many formal nights to expect on a 7-day--I assume two?

One aspect about formal nights in the main dining room that often goes unmentioned is you may want to dress up because the dining rooms are lovely and special attention is paid those nights to menu and the waiters seem to be just more special that night too. I think they wear special uniforms and I know they love all the special attention guests create when they dress up too. So formal nights gives them a chance to re-create that special atmosphere reminiscent of the old days of grand cruising.

It is fun to look across the dining room and see a special sparkle that night. It doesn't have to be overdone- but if you do something special that night to honor the tradition it makes the whole night something unique for everyone who wants to attend. Even just a colorful stole over a black dress adds that extra touch. HAL sells some kind of wonderful, cheesy jewelry sets in their shops for about $10 that can add an extra zing too to something simple just for the extra effect.

My DH still wears black tie and loves it but that is him. And as easy as packing a suit. I have moved away from long dresses to shorter cocktail length or pants with sparkly tops. Someone a while ago here reminded me only the top of what you are wearing really shows when you sit down at dinner, so pack with that in mind.

Yes -- there are 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise.

Archived