Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

Anuschka has really unique hand painted things. I actually have 3 purses and a billfold. Their stuff really checks off the very few boxes I have for clothing and accessories--it is unique, useable, and has an earthy feel. They ARE expensive though! I always get mine from E-Bags, onsale and when E-Bags sends me a 20% off code that goes out once a year, otherwise Anushka is NEVER included in promo codes, etc. My first pusre I have had for almost 4 years and it has aged gracefully and with a certain kind of patina to it, like an old antique.

Onto another subject--I have been thinking about which FIRE color is my favorite and/or best and I've come to this conclusion, I THINK our turquoise is best for my eyes, peach is best for my skin tone and green is best for my hair. Have you guys ever thought about this? I may be way off base but, to my eye that's what I see.

What do you think are your best colors and why?

Looking up Anuschka...WOW...really fun bags and related accessories. I would love to see them in person to see if their colors were more vibrant or more muted for the different designs. It kind of reminded me a bit of the cast iron tea pots that Teavana sells where the different motifs have different meanings. It'd be the kind of thing where I would really want to find that special design that would have some meaning for me personally...that I would look at the hummingbird or flower or whatever and think...whatever the meaning was.

I have thought about best colors before and I think it depends on what kind of look I'm going for? I think the tones that are found in our skin will always rank high on the list...so for me any shade of orange...from terracotta like through the typical tangerine like orange to the rust colors are ones that always are very attractive on me. If I want my eyes to stand out more then matching them with a green color is always good...OR the opposite...finding that great RED highlights my eyes and also blends great into my skin...I think that's one reason I have always been attracted to red dresses.

Bon Voyage to me!

I'm leaving on Thursday morning, bright and early, for Hawaii. This is the first cruise that we've taken where we are bringing two cameras! I don't know what that means as far as picture quality... I think it means an increase in quantity, for sure, but who knows? It's been so long since I've had a camera with me that I might forget I can actually take pictures!

Kim, I'll try to get some spectacular "behind" pictures, but I don't know what opportunity might arise! Also, I'm hoping that an opportunity presents itself to find some fabric. I need Anita to tell me what to look for! At the least, I'm going to look at the pareo fabrics in Tahiti with an eye that maybe Anita could transform a big enough piece of fabric into a skirt for me. I never even thought about that until our discussion about fabric, earlier.

So.............

off to do laundry. Got my hair done yesterday. Yeah! Doing nails in a few days.

I have decided that I'm going with a more neutral (or nude) look on nails. Oddly, I've figured out that a nude look, for me, isn't the light pastel "pinky" look but more of a tan color. I found a fabulous color, Deborah Lippmann (splurge!) No More Drama. It's a beautiful color that is going on my toes. I'm going to play with my nails more: Teal the Cows Come Home, Spring Ball are definitely coming with me. My plan is to do some color changes on board; I've never bothered with bringing polish before. But, there are so many sea days on this cruise! I'm thinking that I will want to play more with make up and have some fun with that on this particular type of cruise since I don't have many port intensive days. We'll see if that's a foolish thought, or not. Pain to pack, for sure.

Pam - Bon Voyage! I hope you have an amazing trip.

Also keep an eye out for aboriginal prints in Australia, the colors are really beautiful and the motifs tell a story. I bought two beautiful tablecloths when we were there, and it would be easy to make something from them if you can't get to a fabric store.

Bon Voyage to me!

I'm leaving on Thursday morning, bright and early, for Hawaii. This is the first cruise that we've taken where we are bringing two cameras! I don't know what that means as far as picture quality... I think it means an increase in quantity, for sure, but who knows? It's been so long since I've had a camera with me that I might forget I can actually take pictures!

Kim, I'll try to get some spectacular "behind" pictures, but I don't know what opportunity might arise! Also, I'm hoping that an opportunity presents itself to find some fabric. I need Anita to tell me what to look for! At the least, I'm going to look at the pareo fabrics in Tahiti with an eye that maybe Anita could transform a big enough piece of fabric into a skirt for me. I never even thought about that until our discussion about fabric, earlier.

So.............

off to do laundry. Got my hair done yesterday. Yeah! Doing nails in a few days.

I have decided that I'm going with a more neutral (or nude) look on nails. Oddly, I've figured out that a nude look, for me, isn't the light pastel "pinky" look but more of a tan color. I found a fabulous color, Deborah Lippmann (splurge!) No More Drama. It's a beautiful color that is going on my toes. I'm going to play with my nails more: Teal the Cows Come Home, Spring Ball are definitely coming with me. My plan is to do some color changes on board; I've never bothered with bringing polish before. But, there are so many sea days on this cruise! I'm thinking that I will want to play more with make up and have some fun with that on this particular type of cruise since I don't have many port intensive days. We'll see if that's a foolish thought, or not. Pain to pack, for sure.

Have a wonderful trip, Pam!!!! Oh how I envy you. Tahiti is on my "list". I would love to dive there some day!

Thanks for the new nail colors--I'm keeping a list of "approved FIRE" colors so that when I 'm out and about and I see something.....

Pictures for sure--no excuse if you have TWO cameras. behinds are always interesting too :D Dare I say PICTODIARY?????

Looking up Anuschka...WOW...really fun bags and related accessories. I would love to see them in person to see if their colors were more vibrant or more muted for the different designs. It kind of reminded me a bit of the cast iron tea pots that Teavana sells where the different motifs have different meanings. It'd be the kind of thing where I would really want to find that special design that would have some meaning for me personally...that I would look at the hummingbird or flower or whatever and think...whatever the meaning was.

I have thought about best colors before and I think it depends on what kind of look I'm going for? I think the tones that are found in our skin will always rank high on the list...so for me any shade of orange...from terracotta like through the typical tangerine like orange to the rust colors are ones that always are very attractive on me. If I want my eyes to stand out more then matching them with a green color is always good...OR the opposite...finding that great RED highlights my eyes and also blends great into my skin...I think that's one reason I have always been attracted to red dresses.

I know what you mean about the Anuschka design speaking to you. The purses cost so much and that's just another thing that I can use to say--gotta have this! My new purse is not only bright but, it has an African feel to it. That's the part that speaks to me. I also have an African feel billfold, a very tribal feel traveling cross body slim purse and my first purse which has a butterfly on it. Very special to me as my Mom and I shared a butterfly experience in Chicago and it reminds me of her and the butterfly museum :)

So, it's not just me that thinks different colors highlight different aspects of our faces. the only color that I've really found that highlights my eyes is the FIRE blues/turquoises. it seems to bring out the color of my eyes that I had never noticed before.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Ladies, we've slid off the first page again!

Kim, I really like the colors in the top you posted and I agree that the overall look is FIRE. I'd love to find something similar. Love your purses too.

I read something this morning and thought I should share. I don't know if this is your material, Kim, but "Dutch" and "waxed" sounded familar. so.....

http://www.wardrobeoxygen.com/2013/10/what-i-wore-shopping-local.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WardrobeOxygen+%28Wardrobe+Oxygen%29

(I sure hope the link works, because you know how you go from one site to another site and then another and can't ever go back to it later, well, I'm just saying. You might need to copy and paste it in.

Anita, have you heard from Pam? I'll bet she's have a super-dooper time!

Nice link Debbie. It worked for me! What a great post. Kim will have to say for sure, but I think that material is like what she purchased. I browsed through the Etsy shop from which the blogger purchased the skirt and that was fun too.

I have heard from Mom. The trip is going well. She has been a bit surprised that adjusting to gaining 3 hours has taken longer than expected. I think though, that she is finally getting more in sync with the local time and waking up at a more appropriate time to enjoy the nightlife more fully. Regardless, Mom and Dad are really enjoying themselves. They have left Hawaii now and were at sea when last I heard.

Slightly off topic...that blog is seriously awesome. I just took a quick peek and will definitely explore more. I have recently come to the realization that I have been dressing wrong for the majority of my life. Seriously, seriously, WRONG. My perspective has just been totally skewed and I am working very, very hard to change my way of thinking. And it's not easy.

You see...I haven't appreciated myself enough. Seriously. I have spent so much of my time focusing on what was wrong with myself and trying to deal with that...that I haven't spent the time to appreciate what is so RIGHT about myself and highlight that with my dress. And even if I can't disguise a "problem"...it seems to me that if you just let the problem be...and frame the best parts...then the focus goes right there to the best part and the problem just kind of fades away to insignificance. If your body isn't a model body...it will never look like a model body...know what I'm sayin'? Just like I have learned about the colors that are best for me...I'm learning about how to appreciate the way clothes fit on me...flaws and all. It's not so much about style as about LIKING and just appreciating what I got.

Which brings me back to that blog. Wow. She is inspiring in how she presents herself. Thanks for sharing Debbie!

You FIRE ladies rock. I got my Pantone chips and walked through the previous discussion about color, and it was HARD!! I think you all know way more than you think you do. Snaps to you.

Anita, great post.

I work with international students who don't have all the burden of expecting to look like Heidi Klum that we are inundated with from when we are little girls and bombarded with every day by advertising. I'm sure they have their own culture's ideals to struggle against to some extent, but for the most part they seem much more well-adjusted about their appearance than we are. I realize this not one but two big fat generalizations. Still, some wisdom in there somewhere I think.

Talking about international girls...this was one reason that I really enjoyed the Paris in Love book by Eloisa James. The way James analyzes how the French women dress and think about themselves v. the way that she has dressed and thought about herself is really enlightening. I can't even recall where in the book, or how the comment is really written, but James is comparing the way she would look at herself in the mirror wearing her undergarments...how she might stare at her imperfect stomach and hips, etc. while the French woman is admiring her matching set of undergarments and how that brazier is making her look just so...and generally interpreting what she sees through a way more positive framework.

Wow, Ladies, we've slid off the first page again!

Kim, I really like the colors in the top you posted and I agree that the overall look is FIRE. I'd love to find something similar. Love your purses too.

I read something this morning and thought I should share. I don't know if this is your material, Kim, but "Dutch" and "waxed" sounded familar. so.....

http://www.wardrobeoxygen.com/2013/10/what-i-wore-shopping-local.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WardrobeOxygen+%28Wardrobe+Oxygen%29

(I sure hope the link works, because you know how you go from one site to another site and then another and can't ever go back to it later, well, I'm just saying. You might need to copy and paste it in.

Anita, have you heard from Pam? I'll bet she's have a super-dooper time!

Thanks for sharing, Debbie AND bringing us back closer to the top of the page :)

I think the gal in the blog has very much the type of fabric that I brought back from Tanzania. I am totally EMBARRASSED that I haven't sent it to Anita yet :o I don't know why I have put it off. I think I'm kind of scared to do it, does that make sense? It's like it's some kind of a treasure and I don't want to deface it or something????? Is this weird??? I am excited to have Anita transform it into something wonderful like I know she will, I just need to get on the stick and send it along to her!

Debbie, I forgot to add that the top above that I bought, they also had a dress in the exact some fabric and I bought that too. I REALLY love it when I can find a piece of FIRE clothing that has multiple colors in it. It seems like most of the clothes I have now are just single colors. I like multiple colored things a lot and find it's hard to find them where they have all FIRe colors. sometimes I will see something and it has A FIRE color and then other colors that are another palette. I've always wondered why they make things that have multiple palettes in them? Wouldn't it be easier if they just stuck to one palette instead of putting a FIRe color in with ICE whites, etc.? Do you all see that too?

Edited by Joby

You FIRE ladies rock. I got my Pantone chips and walked through the previous discussion about color, and it was HARD!! I think you all know way more than you think you do. Snaps to you.

Anita, great post.

I work with international students who don't have all the burden of expecting to look like Heidi Klum that we are inundated with from when we are little girls and bombarded with every day by advertising. I'm sure they have their own culture's ideals to struggle against to some extent, but for the most part they seem much more well-adjusted about their appearance than we are. I realize this not one but two big fat generalizations. Still, some wisdom in there somewhere I think.

Margaret,

Have you put together and EARTH sets from the Pantone chips? I would love to see some photos or even just names and I could put them together with my chips and actually see what you see :)

I LOVE your saying "snaps to you". How cute is that!

Talking about international girls...this was one reason that I really enjoyed the Paris in Love book by Eloisa James. The way James analyzes how the French women dress and think about themselves v. the way that she has dressed and thought about herself is really enlightening. I can't even recall where in the book, or how the comment is really written, but James is comparing the way she would look at herself in the mirror wearing her undergarments...how she might stare at her imperfect stomach and hips, etc. while the French woman is admiring her matching set of undergarments and how that brazier is making her look just so...and generally interpreting what she sees through a way more positive framework.

So much wisdom in this, I think! Now, if we could just put it into practice!

Glad to hear Pam and DH are having such a good time. Tell them "hello" for me :) hopefully, she is taking some photos for the all important PICTODIARY. We all live for those, don't we:D

I'm very interested to see what happens with the photos. This is the first time that they are traveling with two cameras. Dad enjoys photography but he usually focuses on the scenery and sites. Mom has often talked about how she would have taken more pictures of the people, if she had been in charge of the camera...so this will be an interesting photo show to see for me when they come to visit for Thanksgiving.

We're going the a Pumpkin Farm in the country this weekend. I'm hoping to get some good autumn picturesque photographs of the family. I'm trying to figure out what to wear because we will still be out in the country and are planning on a picnic, so I don't want to wear anything that I care too much about.

I'm very interested to see what happens with the photos. This is the first time that they are traveling with two cameras. Dad enjoys photography but he usually focuses on the scenery and sites. Mom has often talked about how she would have taken more pictures of the people, if she had been in charge of the camera...so this will be an interesting photo show to see for me when they come to visit for Thanksgiving.

We're going the a Pumpkin Farm in the country this weekend. I'm hoping to get some good autumn picturesque photographs of the family. I'm trying to figure out what to wear because we will still be out in the country and are planning on a picnic, so I don't want to wear anything that I care too much about.

PHOTOS---I love photos :D

We travel with three cameras! You can't imagine how many photos I have to wade through when we get home. It's all good, though, I enjoy it so much. It is amazing what a different eye we have even though we're in the same place looking at the same stuff.

I don't have a full set of chips, and there weren't any blues or greens in my chips that I would consider EARTH. I think Anita put together the EARTH colors in a previous post that I will have to look for again. I am attracted to FIRE colors, especially in the spring, so it was interesting to me to follow your discussion. I find it helpful to be reminded on occasion that I should just... say... no. :) I don't have the same attraction to ICE or AIR. Well, I will admit I AM still getting over my city addiction to black....

[quote name='MJC']We travel with three cameras! You can't imagine how many photos I have to wade through when we get home. It's all good, though, I enjoy it so much. It is amazing what a different eye we have even though we're in the same place looking at the same stuff.

I don't have a full set of chips, and there weren't any blues or greens in my chips that I would consider EARTH. I think Anita put together the EARTH colors in a previous post that I will have to look for again. I am attracted to FIRE colors, especially in the spring, so it was interesting to me to follow your discussion. I find it helpful to be reminded on occasion that I should just... say... no. :) I don't have the same attraction to ICE or AIR. Well, I will admit I AM still getting over my city addiction to black....[/quote]

Margaret,

I would be glad to send along the chips you are missing. Just let me know, it would be no problem at all :)

I've never been attracted to ICE at all. I look horrendous in it! Even when I "thought" I was an AIR, anything is better than black/white on me :eek:

[quote name='MJC']Kim, look what came in the mail. I'm taking it as a sign![/quote]

Saweeet!!!!

Our trip will be next July to the southern parks of Tanzania. Excited---no, ecstatic is more like it :D

what about the Pantone chips????

I don't even know what I'm missing, so I will have to do some research and see what I should be looking for.

I find planning for Africa to be a bit overwhelming. Right now I am just doing a lot of reading and looking at brochures, and trying to figure out what exactly we want to do. The more I read the more I think we will need more than one trip. :D

• 3 weeks later...
[FONT=comic sans][SIZE=3]I need help!!! [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans]I have to get a good rain jacket/coat for Alaska. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans]I need a waterproof jacket, not resistant. The coats and jackets I have now are all resistant. I wore one several weeks ago while on vacation in the downpours in Ocean City, MD and got soaked!:eek: Hence, the search for waterproof. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans]Am looking at Columbia and everything in my size is dark. I need something longer lengthto cover my butt. Has anyone seen the zing color? It looks like it's air to me, but I may have to bite the bullet and get it anyway.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans]Does anyone have another brand to suggest?[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The boards here have been quiet, guess everyone is busy like me.[/SIZE] Edited by snuggles

I need help!!!

I have to get a good rain jacket/coat for Alaska.

I need a waterproof jacket, not resistant. The coats and jackets I have now are all resistant. I wore one several weeks ago while on vacation in the downpours in Ocean City, MD and got soaked!:eek: Hence, the search for waterproof.

Am looking at Columbia and everything in my size is dark. I need something longer lengthto cover my butt. Has anyone seen the zing color? It looks like it's air to me, but I may have to bite the bullet and get it anyway.

Does anyone have another brand to suggest?

The boards here have been quiet, guess everyone is busy like me.

Hi, Linda!

I agree about needing waterProof jacket for Alaska. I suggest you expand your search to 3-in-1 jackets. I had one that was perfect for Alaska. I ofter wore the fleece or outer layers separately. Check out Land's End and LL Bean, They might have something. I've noticed some nice, warm colors at both sites this Fall. I even bought a beautiful pea coat in a Teal color last week that is great on me. Think it's more Earth than fire, though.

Maybe this one would work:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63848?feat=68165-ppxs&dds=y

Jane

Hi, Linda!

I agree about needing waterProof jacket for Alaska. I suggest you expand your search to 3-in-1 jackets. I had one that was perfect for Alaska. I ofter wore the fleece or outer layers separately. Check out Land's End and LL Bean, They might have something. I've noticed some nice, warm colors at both sites this Fall. I even bought a beautiful pea coat in a Teal color last week that is great on me. Think it's more Earth than fire, though.

Maybe this one would work:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63848?feat=68165-ppxs&dds=y

Jane

Rich turquoise & cream colored tops are wonderful on me...deep, brighter Earth color seeming to border on Fire, if that makes any sense. Reminds me of the way my coral "color test" shirt was somehow on the border.

Linda, Here's another option:
[URL]http://www.travelsmith.com/shawl-collar-raincoat/462000[/URL]

I have this coat in brown. It is a little dull in color, but brown beats black every day of the week. This coat is my Everything Coat and I wear it when I KNOW it's going to rain because it covers me. Because of the removable liner, I was able to wear it last weekend (29 degrees on the football stadium bleachers) with layers of tops and bottoms. If you are in the market for a good coat, this is it. If this one seems too long, try searching for waterproof on that site. It listed a shorter persimmon poncho that might work also.

Jane's suggestion of a 3-in-1 coat is a good one. One of my buddies on last summer's Alaska cruise planned to take hers, but it accidentally got left behind. Depending upon where your first stop lands you, there are several suggestions on the Alaska boards of $20.00 coats at various shops near the ship (Great Alaska Trading Company, etc). My buddy took advantage of this and it made a handy souvenir to bring back also. The $20.00 coat is WELL worth the money if you don't have much luggage room and don't want to carry a coat over your arm from home to Alaska. I remember it being the length you are looking for.

I personally took a thigh-length water-resistant parka (heavily sprayed with Scotchgard) and wore layers of tops and bottoms to suit the temperatures. The only day we needed earmuffs and gloves was the day in the fjord traveling to the glacier and while at the glacier. The other days, I was too warm at times. I overplanned for cold and took too much cashmere, but we were very weather-lucky. 70/55 degree weather the entire cruise and no rain until a shuttle transfer at Chicago O'Hare on our last leg getting home.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't take my cashmere sets. I'd take two cashmere cardigans and thinner weight short sleeve tops and long sleeve tops. Layer, layer, layer. The Vivienne Files has been posting Five-Layer Options this week that would work PERFECTLY for what I'm talking about. You can choose how dressy or non-dressy you want to be and plan accordingly. Isn't planning just the mostest fun!?!

Silly Me! I just realized that I wandered off into planning and organization mode, again!

You didn't ask about wardrobe planning. All you asked for and all I meant to answer was about the coat. I did look at the Columbia zing color. On my monitor, I'm afraid it is too dull. Earth, maybe?