NCL's FOOD

I Love NC

Now if my sister were to eat with us she finds something wrong everytime where ever she dines on land or sea......
My mother, who helped my father run their own restaurants for many years, was the most persnickety person I have ever observed dining in a restaurant. Her older sister finally got so exasperated that she wouldn't go out with my mom unless Mom promised not to send anything back to the kitchen.

Aunt Bessie would have been 101 this year, Mom 99.

My $0.02 from having done the Mexican Riviera in Nov 2008 on the NCL Star is to set your expectations appropriately. All of the food we had (and we did many specialty restaurants) was good, but I also regularly go to Michelin starred restaurants when on land, cruise food is not that good. However, cruise food is generally high quality, there is also a wide variety, and the staff will work hard to make you happy.

The closest land equivalent I would compare it to is a high-quality hotel food. Not Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton, but Hyatt/Marriott level.

Hope that helps, and again go with reasonable expectations and I think you'll enjoy yourself.

First, you should know that I'm a food snob. I live in Portland, and there's a huge emphasis on good food made from local, fresh ingredients. So, we're a bit spoiled. As for NCL's food, it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either.

Almost everything we ate (minus the sweets, of course) seemed really, really salty to us.

We gave up on ordering anything that was supposed to be spicy because nothing was spicy. There was one lunch dish that I had at the buffet that was spicy. I went back for seconds, and they'd put out a new container of it, and it wasn't spicy, so I think the first time was a fluke. :p

Everyone in my group ordered a steak one night while on the ship. People kept progressively ordering more rare steaks based on the previous person's dinner because they were always way overdone. I asked for mine very, very, very rare (as in still mooing, please) and it was cooked medium-well.

The hot wings at Blue Lagoon were terrible.

The chilled fruit soups were delicious. The specialty restaurants that we tried (Le Bistro, Mambo's) were a little bit better than the MDR meals, but not significantly.

Other than that, though, it's about what I expected. They're feeding 1000+ people three meals a day, whenever the people want to eat. It's not going to be gourmet, and they need to appeal to the largest number of people possible.

We are not food snobs like littlebabywoof but certainly enjoy good food! We have travelled with most of the cruise lines, and for food, NCL is near the bottom! Their food was bland, boring and often, cold! :mad: I guess the adage 'you get what you pay for' holds true! A cheap cruise line gives you cheap food! Never again on NCL - not for any price!!

Yes, food is very subjective! We found the MDR food better on other cruise lines, but we foudn the buffets (especially breakfast!) much better on NCL. We also adore Blue Lagoon, and love the choice of speciality restaurants if we want to enjoy a special occasion. But in no way do we feel forced to do that in order to get decent food!

Knowing it is subjective, but wondering how you like the food on NCL?

In the 1990's several of our friends and us sailed at different times on the SKY and didn't especially like the food. We didn't go hungry, but we all decided we preferred Princess and Celebrity's food prepartion.

Thank you in advance!!

Just returned from the Sky 2 weeks ago. We were NOT really fond of the food at all. Of course, we did NOT go hungry by no means! We definitely prefer CCL food over NCL, we think it tastes much better. Although, I think NCL has more dining options to choose from than CCL. BUT, this would not stop us from cruising NCL again!

We are not food snobs like littlebabywoof but certainly enjoy good food! We have travelled with most of the cruise lines, and for food, NCL is near the bottom! Their food was bland, boring and often, cold! :mad: I guess the adage 'you get what you pay for' holds true! A cheap cruise line gives you cheap food! Never again on NCL - not for any price!!

Just an FYI, the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of a post is used to report the post as being rude or harrassing. You may find this handy on other threads.

I usually clean my plate!!!quote]

I thought they only made you do that if you didn't pay the bill:confused:;).

My barometer for food- first, did I get what I paid for. I'd rather eat a $10 steak that's worth $10 than a $50 steak that's worth $20. If I paid $10 for a $20 steak, even better. Second, how did I feel once I was done? Was I merely satisfied or did I want more of what I just had (or was it so bad I couldn't get past the first bite). On NCL I always felt that I got my money's worth and many times I found myself wanting more of what I just had but never found myself not satisfied at the end of the meal.

Knowing it is subjective, but wondering how you like the food on NCL?

In the 1990's several of our friends and us sailed at different times on the SKY and didn't especially like the food. We didn't go hungry, but we all decided we preferred Princess and Celebrity's food preparation.

Thank you in advance!!

I have only sailed on one NCL ship, The Sky and the food was pretty good. In the main dining room, I agreed with my sailing mate that the steak was too fatty and that was consistent. The other dishes were very good. I loved no bacon police at the buffet but hated having the ice cream police at the soft serve machine. On the Carnival ship that I was on last, Dream, you could help yourself to everything at the buffet but the bacon. There was a gentleman who would put it on your plate. If you wanted more, you had to ask for it. On the Sky, there was a large pile and you helped yourself. The Sky did have someone put the ice in a cone and reluctantly, in a dish for you each serving. :mad: Carnival had a larger variety of food available but the quality, other than what was mentioned, was good.

DSCF1053.jpg Bacon DSCF1347.jpg Chicken Cordon Bleu MDR DSCF1044.jpg MDR Menu

We just returned from a cruise on the Jewel, and I was disappointed in the lack of vegetables available. Of course, they had the usual green beans, carrots, and steamed broccoli/cauliflower, but that gets old for 10 days. I wondered how the vegetarians handled that. That said, we didn't starve. :-) The buffet gave us opportunities to try things that we normally don't try at home. If one doesn't like it, they can always try something else.

We just returned from a cruise on the Jewel, and I was disappointed in the lack of vegetables available. Of course, they had the usual green beans, carrots, and steamed broccoli/cauliflower, but that gets old for 10 days. I wondered how the vegetarians handled that. That said, we didn't starve. :-) The buffet gave us opportunities to try things that we normally don't try at home. If one doesn't like it, they can always try something else.

there usually are other choices if you ask. We almost always have been able to get things like asparagus for example.

Nita

The food has mostly been a high mark in our four NCL cruises. The breads are great. The deserts are outstanding. The cold soups are remarkable. I found the steak disappointing the four times I opted for it, but not sorry enough to drive me to the surcharge steak houses such as Cagneys. I rarely have wine because I think it is overpriced for the quality available. I have had one occasion to get huffy about the service, but generally it has been dandy. I don't have experience with other cruise lines for comparison, but I did work in the restaurant business while in college four decades ago and I was in the commissary department (cook, baker, supply clerk, butcher) on USS Princeton (LPH5) a couple of years on the cusp of the '50s and '60s.

The food wasn't horrible, just definitely had much better on other cruise lines.

One example, in the MDR, I ordered shrimp cocktail and their idea of shrimp cocktail was SHRIMP SALAD.

I felt that NCL provided mediocre food in the free restaurants so that you are almost forced to eat in the speciality restaurants, which by the way, were excellent.

How can that be when these would not be enough room in the specialty restaurants if everyone was chased into them?

You know what's funny, I was ready around on other cruise lines threads the other night including RCCL and CCL and saw that many people were saying that the food has gone down hill on other lines as well. Maybe it's just a sign of the times with the economy the way things are and the price of everything rising, maybe the cruise lines are doing their best to keep it affordable. Also, unless you have tried to cook for lots of people in such a short time, you should not judge. I can't even imagine planning the number of meals that they need to plan in a week. Also, as far as a more limited menu is concerned, imagine having to buy and store all of the food on board. Maybe they are trying to make it more reasonable to have fewer dishes but better ingredients and to make them right. From what I have seen of the "static" menus, I am confident that I'll find plenty to eat on our Pearl cruise in January.

Don't jump on Sotto --- Look at the posters name !!!!!:p

When it comes to sour, Soto is sour on anything negative about NCL, and the one who posts the negative information. I don't think anyone would consider me anything but loyal to NCL, but when it comes to the buffet or main dining room, I would rate NCL's food less satisfactory than Carnival, HAL and Celebrity.

Al

While not as many cruises as some, 14 is a fair number for comparison. We have been on Carnival, HAl, RCCL and a couple that aren't around anymore. In the early days (80's), food was a big part of why we cruised the ports being important, also. I loved being able to try things I wouldn't pay for on land, food was always a pleasure.

Our last cruise on RCL was to Bermuda and the food was great just not as exotic as before, more in line with high end resturants on land.

We have never gone hungry, always able to get another entree if wanted or get room service.

I think cruising is about new experiences, like new friends or new cultures. Yes, maybe the food isn't what you expected, but did you cruise to eat? I know that is a BIG reason people spend the money and expect to be wowed, however, the food should not be the number one reason. I don't know how to see all a cruise has to offer for a land tour price.

So maybe the food isn't gourmet every night but how many of us get to go a week without cooking, cleaning up and making the bed???

Have a great cruise and don't make food a reason to be disapointed.

Lynda

When it comes to sour, Soto is sour on anything negative about NCL, and the one who posts the negative information. I don't think anyone would consider me anything but loyal to NCL, but when it comes to the buffet or main dining room, I would rate NCL's food less satisfactory than Carnival, HAL and Celebrity.

Al

Al, again you said it, according to you. I am not here to blast you, I wouldn't do that, cause yes, you are a loyal NCLer, but I completely disagree with you on the buffets. I used to think HAL was the best, but the last 2 NCL cruises I would put NCL right up there with them. I am not talking dinner as I can't imagine eating dinner at a ship buffet, but I am talking breakfast and lunch. As for the MDR, that I would have to agree. Though all lines have taken a tumble in the past 10 years, NCL isn't anywhere near the top in quality. I can say though, with one exception, we didn't have anything we didn't enjoy on our Pearl cruise. I was disappointed in the roast pork, it was dry and the service was not up to par that night so I didn't want to send it back and wait forever.

Nita

As many have stated food is so subjective, dependent on a person's expectations, their personal litmus standard and and even their regional norms. For example personally I'm not a fan of the Italian venue's as I grew up in an Italian neighborhood where homemade sauce and pasta were the norm and not the exception. One other thing that needs to be considered is the chef and staff that prepares the meals. They do rotate through the fleet and can effect the the standards on different ships. A few years ago the menus were drastically changed across the board by NCL in what most agreed was a cost cutting effort. If I recall correctly I actually lost weight on my cruise that year :eek:. Hard to imagine .... I know. I don't believe that change lasted very long but if you'd asked about NCL fare then I'd have given it a big thumbs down. That was the only cruise where I didn't think the food was any good. Every other cruise prior to that change and since I've almost always enjoyed my meal. Has any meal been spectacular ... a few, a bust a few, but more often than not .. I've totally enjoyed them.

More pics

182.jpg

*gasps* You got a RARE steak! I'm so jealous! : )

Also, the pictures reminded me of some desert that I had at Mambo's. I *think* it's the carmelized margarita tartlet. It was SO good. It tasted more like key lime pie to me than the key lime pie I had in the MDR. My mouth waters when I think about it. :o

If I recall correctly I actually lost weight on my cruise that year :eek:. Hard to imagine .... I know. I don't believe that

I gained 5 pounds on our cruise. 12 hours after disembarking, I'd lost 3 pounds. I always thought that salt and water retention was a myth until our cruise. :p

Archived