My review of Sapphire Beach & Paradise Point

mitsugirly

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to report that we were very pleased with Sapphire Beach last week. I would highly suggest water shoes because it can be tricky walking into the water because of the rocks and coral. The snorkeling was terrific. The cab ride from Crown Bay was $11 per person each way although it was posted $10 each way (no additional tip from us because we were charged $11). There are several people walking up and down the beach taking drink orders. The bushwackers were awesome!!! as well as the lime in the coconut drink. There is a small tent set up between two buildings of the resort with a grill with decent burgers and sandwiches and they bring the food right to you on your beach chair. In addition, someone from a local pizza shop was walking around handing out menus and the guys at the dive shop would call in your order for you. The beach chair rentals were $6 or $7 a chair. The dive shop was excellent renting snorkel gear. The bathrooms were clean in the morning and relatively clean in the afternoon. You can't expect much better than that when more than 100 people visited the beach that day. Even though there were lots of people there it didn't seen too crowded. All in all it was an awesome day and we would go back again.

There are sandy entrance points and rocky entrance points. I'm trying to upload my trip to Sapphire, and you'll see where the sandy/rocky points are.

I even took photos of the bathroom (ladies). There are only 3 stalls, and they've been clean every time I've "inspected." However, if there are multiple ships in port, it would be easy for the bathrooms to be filthy before too long (one advantage of traveling during the off season!)

I loved the fact that there's "wildlife" sharing the beach. I saw iguanas, ducks, egrets, and of course, seagulls.

The water was the perfect temperature!

I am happy to report that we were very pleased with Sapphire Beach last week. I would highly suggest water shoes because it can be tricky walking into the water because of the rocks and coral. The snorkeling was terrific. The cab ride from Crown Bay was $11 per person each way although it was posted $10 each way (no additional tip from us because we were charged $11). There are several people walking up and down the beach taking drink orders. The bushwackers were awesome!!! as well as the lime in the coconut drink. There is a small tent set up between two buildings of the resort with a grill with decent burgers and sandwiches and they bring the food right to you on your beach chair. In addition, someone from a local pizza shop was walking around handing out menus and the guys at the dive shop would call in your order for you. The beach chair rentals were $6 or $7 a chair. The dive shop was excellent renting snorkel gear. The bathrooms were clean in the morning and relatively clean in the afternoon. You can't expect much better than that when more than 100 people visited the beach that day. Even though there were lots of people there it didn't seen too crowded. All in all it was an awesome day and we would go back again.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful day at Sapphire. Would love for you to share some pictures of your day. :)

There are sandy entrance points and rocky entrance points. I'm trying to upload my trip to Sapphire, and you'll see where the sandy/rocky points are.

I even took photos of the bathroom (ladies). There are only 3 stalls, and they've been clean every time I've "inspected." However, if there are multiple ships in port, it would be easy for the bathrooms to be filthy before too long (one advantage of traveling during the off season!)

I loved the fact that there's "wildlife" sharing the beach. I saw iguanas, ducks, egrets, and of course, seagulls.

Can't wait to see your pictures. I loved the wild life too. We are going to Cozumel (Chankanaab) in a few weeks and I hear there are TONS of different iguanas walking around everywhere. I love to see the wildlife out like this. They are so interesting. We are watching them and they are watching us. :D

Glad to hear you had a wonderful day at Sapphire. Would love for you to share some pictures of your day. :)

Can't wait to see your pictures. I loved the wild life too. We are going to Cozumel (Chankanaab) in a few weeks and I hear there are TONS of different iguanas walking around everywhere. I love to see the wildlife out like this. They are so interesting. We are watching them and they are watching us. :D

Please, please, please post a review and pictures from your time at Coz and Chankanaab. I'm soooo ready to book a cruise or all-inclusive from the pics I've seen of Coz. Dh is a bit leery of Mexico but I reallly want to go. I booked Epic originally for the Western ports but they've since changed to Eastern so now we're considering the Carnival Legend that includes Coz next spring/summer.

Please, please, please post a review and pictures from your time at Coz and Chankanaab. I'm soooo ready to book a cruise or all-inclusive from the pics I've seen of Coz. Dh is a bit leery of Mexico but I reallly want to go. I booked Epic originally for the Western ports but they've since changed to Eastern so now we're considering the Carnival Legend that includes Coz next spring/summer.

I will definitely come back with tons of pictures and a review. Just be looking for it. :D

We are a group of ten and some want to para-sail and jet ski? Can we do that right from the beach?

What can we expect for temps in early November? Thanks!

You don't do it right from the beach. The jet skis and parasail boat are docked at the marina, and the route takes you out from the marina and past the beach, but you're in open water so as not to disturbe the swimmers.

Can we walk to the marina from the beach and do you think I should

pre-book??? The cruise lines excursion to Sapphire doesn't give you much time to spend there? I am also wondering if the para-sail excursion is the same one that I would book via RCCL? We would rather not do that, this way we can spend as much time as we want! Thanks MS411

Edited by the plumbers wife

Yes, you can walk to the marina - it's about a 5 minute walk.

Yes, I would book in advance, because there are many walk-ups so sometimes there aren't jet skis waiting (or not enough if there's a group). I saw that happen the last time I was there.

There are a few jet ski operators, so I'm not sure if this is the one that RCCL uses. Another company leaves out of Bolongo Bay Resort. 340WaterSports is their name, I think. Wave Runners is the company out of Sapphire.

plumberswife, is which company the one out of Sapphire?

Wave Runners is out of Sapphire, but I'm not sure if they're the same ones who do the parasail, but that boat docks next to the wave runners.

340Watersports is out of Bolongo Bay Resort, but don't know if they do parasail in addition to jet skis. I think the parasail out of Sapphire covers more than one beach/area. Can't remember their name, but if you google parasail sapphire st thomas the name should come up.

• 5 weeks later...

do they sell buckets of beer on the beach or just fruity drinks ?

Im more of a swimmer so I like the soft sand not into tip toeing through rocks and corral will not be snorkeling at least not at this moment

i will be there on Wed.

Been to Emerald beach and it was very nice bucket of brew bathrooms right there food

may do Sapphire since I never been HHmmm

also never been to Megans but don't want crowds and trash etc.

We just came back from a cruise on the Oasis of the Seas. We followed your advice on Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas and it was wonderful! Thanks for the great advice, the photos, etc. We had a great time!

Thanks so much for sharing with us all!

Michael

You are very welcome. Glad to hear you liked it. Did you take any pictures you'd like to share? :)

do they sell buckets of beer on the beach or just fruity drinks ?

Im more of a swimmer so I like the soft sand not into tip toeing through rocks and corral will not be snorkeling at least not at this moment

i will be there on Wed.

Been to Emerald beach and it was very nice bucket of brew bathrooms right there food

may do Sapphire since I never been HHmmm

also never been to Megans but don't want crowds and trash etc.

Plenty of soft sand at Sapphire both on beach and in water. There are lots of places with just the sandy bottom there. That is what made it great for us.

Wondering if you ever posted your pics of Sapphire Beach and/or facilties - would love to see what it currently looks like?

Thanks!

Sapphire Beach is our favorite beach anywhere! It is not a posh beach resort by any means, but it is clean, has natural shade, built in "pets";), and basic burgers and hot dogs at the grill. We are not happy for long just sticking our toes in the water. We need to be snorkeling and Sapphire has that.

I don't completely understand about the rocky entrance that was mentioned. As mitsugirly said, there are both sandy and rocky areas that you can enter. Because of bad knees I enter the water at the sandy areas and snorkel to the rocky areas where the fish are. My DB & SIL went all the way to the right (facing the water) and quite a ways out and said there was wonderful coral and amazing snorkeling out there.

The only thing I can think of with the rocky entrance problem is that when the tide goes out the depth over the rocks becomes very shallow. I lost track of what I was doing and became stranded in those rocks at one point. It became shallow very quickly. Waves, albeit gentle waves, made it hard to stand and walk among the rocks so I just worked myself out gradually.

Here is the rocky area when we arrived at the beach. The dark areas are rocks where you find the fish. At this point I could easily float above the rocks and had have plenty of room.:

2081443780071903042S500x500Q85.jpg

Here is that same area later in the day after the tide was going out. As you can see, the rocks were becoming exposed and it was a little wavier. I would suggest to keep an eye on conditions and not be inside the rock area at this point, but to snorkel at the side of it:

2924275010071903042S500x500Q85.jpg

Here is a picture of the point where my DB & SIL snorkeled to the far right of the beach. They went out farther than shown in the picture. The marina is on the other side of the point.

2526726260071903042S500x500Q85.jpg

Always wear water shoes at any beach as it is part of the ocean and anything can get washed up and buried under the sand. I had something sharp stick me in the foot in Labadee in the water and imbed deep in the tissue. It eventually worked it's way out, but not until I had missed about a week of work and some pricey doctor bills and x-rays. We think it was a sea urchin spine.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl