Any families cruising in October?

hazeleyes35

Check on your cruise's roll call. I always post a question on my cruise's RC asking about kids. We've done a September and several November cruises and while there are "tons" of kids on board, there are generally a good number of most cruises (particularly shorter ones).

I've done a bunch of cruises in October and there are always kids aboard. The number will also have something to do with the location and duration of your cruise and the cruise line.

I've found the roll call isn't always a good way to know if there are other kids. When we did a trans-atlantic sailing in January, there were no kids among to roll call families, but there were plenty of kids on board.

Best,

Mia

I've done a bunch of cruises in October and there are always kids aboard. The number will also have something to do with the location and duration of your cruise and the cruise line.

I've found the roll call isn't always a good way to know if there are other kids. When we did a trans-atlantic sailing in January' date=' there were no kids among to roll call families, but there were plenty of kids on board.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

We took our youngest son on two Oct/Nov Princess cruises and both cruises there were plenty of children, the Diamond Princess had over 600 of the 18 and younger set :eek: but really, they were all well behaved, the Caribbean Princess had many as well.

FYI chipmaster.......First cruise he came back and had completed all of the schoolwork his teachers had given him so he was exactly where his classmates were, second cruise he came back ahead with two of his four classes, the other two he was where he should have been, all of his teachers each time gave us their blessing. This one was not the straight A honour roll student his older brother was but since he had the same parents who were determined that the school work was going to be finished and finished well, it was never an issue.

Honestly, if you are a responsible parent making sure the schoolwork is done then cruising during the school year......well it is can be done :)

We are going on a 5 day cruise on Carnival Fascination on October 11 - first cruise for my kids (ages 7 and 3), so I hope there are some other kids on board. So far only one other child - a 2 year old - on our roll call. I'm hoping they'll be enough so they can make friends, but not so many that the kids club is overrun.

My son is in 1st grade, but he is in a year round school, so we have a 3 week break in October. He is also out most of January, so I've booked another cruise then, but my roll call has other kids on it already.

There are always a few people who take their kids out of school. Likely a good thing birds of a feather flock togather ;):D

My daughter is in 1st grade - she's not gonna miss much. She is a smart little cookie and the review work they are doing from Kindergarten is easy homework for her to do before we leave. And I'm smart enough to know (before I went corporate, I was a teacher) if she can handle it or not. I can't wait for her to experience different countries. We've been reading books about the different places we'll go. It will be a great learning experience for her. :)

MN and WI have school breaks in October. UK families have a break then too.

Next year, I'll be taking the kids on a cruise in early November, on the Allure. My new school, and the one the youngest attends, have a full week break then. The cruise prices are great!:D;)

We are cruising Legend Oct 24. We are taking 2 weeks total and driving down from Canada. Our DD is 9 and DS is 6.

Reason why we travel then is because my DH is unable to take holidays at the usual holiday times. We know our children are good students and we deserve a vacation as much as the next person. Even if DH was able to take holidays with everyone else, the "off" times make it more affordable for us.

So unless the teachers say we are not able to take them out-which they don't up here in Canada-then we will continue to do so. We always take the homework with us and they complete it while away.

I'll be on Explorer to Bermuda 10/23 with my three kids aged 2.5, 11, and 14. We're going then because I started a new job in April and couldn't take vacation for the first 6 months, so we're going as soon as I'm eligible! :p I originally wanted to book around Columbus Day since the kids would be off, but my husband couldn't switch his on-call. The kids will miss 3.5 days of school (Leaving Saturday, returning Thursday morning, will drive right from port to school.) I felt a little guilty taking them out of school, but parents' vacation isn't always flexible. I'm not going to try to justify it that they'll learn more on vacation as in that other thread that was mentioned. :D But, heck, it's not always easy to carve family time out of real-life responsibilities, and some obligation will end up falling to the wayside, whether it's work or school or commitments to sports/activities, etc.

MN and WI have school breaks in October. UK families have a break then too.

Next year, I'll be taking the kids on a cruise in early November, on the Allure. My new school, and the one the youngest attends, have a full week break then. The cruise prices are great!:D;)

Most of the eastern half of Wisconsin has at least three days off at the end of October for for "Teacher Convention". We tend to cruise the week of US Tgiving in November because DDs school is off the Friday before for a local celebration and then has at least a three day T-giving break (sometimes 3.5 days).

November in the eastern Med is great - beautiful weather, few crowds, great prices.

I know pleanty of families who home school or have kids in school districts with year round school. Lot's of good reason why a family may vaction in October or November.

My district has the kids off on Oct 15, then the following week (18-22) for Fall Break. Teacher (that would be me) have to work on the 15th, and have the 20-22 off BUT if they went to two days of training this summer (yes, I did!!!!), they have the 18th and 19th off also! Cruising here I come!

It's my birth month and a big birthday (ending in an -0), so I was given the choice of Disneyworld or a Cruise. Cruise was longer, cheaper and probably warmer.

Another Wisconsinite travelling during teacher break in October! :) We'll be on the Carnival Valor departing 10/24 with our first-grader.

I'm not sure I would recommend posting in the roll call thread about bringing your kids. :( Sadly, the negative comments I've read about kids in the thread for our cruise has turned me off in a big way. (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1141485, beginning at post 125) I believe people will say things in an online forum that they wouldn't say in person; however, I'm left wondering how offensive people on our cruise will be. I’m very, very disappointed with the snide comments about children cruising.

Archived