5 nts London post cruise

momva

Next summer, we will be to "forced" to spend 5 nts in London post-Med cruise. Last summer, we spent 3 days pre-Baltic cruise. We loved our visit last year but didn't even come close to seeing everything we would like. This time, we want to see the British Museum, Kew, and take a ride on the Eye. We are thinking we may also want to take a day trip to Bath and/or Stonehenge. Last year, we stayed at the Marriott Marble Arch. The hotel was fine as was the location. We particularly liked the easy access to the Heathrow Express but I suppose that should not be the major deciding factor on where to stay. Could someone recommend a comparable hotel or suggest where in the city might be good for what we want to do? We took city buses to get just everywhere we needed last year and that was very convenient.

Next summer, we will be to "forced" to spend 5 nts in London post-Med cruise. Last summer, we spent 3 days pre-Baltic cruise. We loved our visit last year but didn't even come close to seeing everything we would like. This time, we want to see the British Museum, Kew, and take a ride on the Eye. We are thinking we may also want to take a day trip to Bath and/or Stonehenge. Last year, we stayed at the Marriott Marble Arch. The hotel was fine as was the location. We particularly liked the easy access to the Heathrow Express but I suppose that should not be the major deciding factor on where to stay. Could someone recommend a comparable hotel or suggest where in the city might be good for what we want to do? We took city buses to get just everywhere we needed last year and that was very convenient.

For our Virginia Mom, the good news in London is that the Underground is so super in its service that you have more flexibility for where you stay than in some other cities. Getting a multi-day pass is very cost-effective and time-efficient. For five days after our 2006 Greek Isles-Turkish Coast cruise, we stayed in the Sloane Square area that is so charming. You might consider an apartment that allows a little more room than just a cramped hotel room. You can check:

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/europe

I would also consider a day-trip to Oxford, getting a rental car and doing some wonderful time in the Cotswolds, seeing Blenheim Place, etc. Lots of great day-trip options from London. In 2006, we did a super day-trip to Cambridge to see its campus, Chapel, other great buildings and history. Below are some visuals for London options to consider.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the London "Eye" wheel, it offers great views of the key sights and sites:

LondonEyeView.jpg

People shopping at Portobello Road Market:

PortobelloRdMk.jpg

Harrod's unique Food Hall has lots to see and eat:

HarrodsFoodH.jpg

At the Victoria & Albert Museum in London they have spectacular rooms, architecture and art works:

LondVAMus.jpg

London’s theater offerings are great:

LondVictThea.jpg

Inside of one of London’s smaller art museums, here is the Courtauld Gallery with its early Renaissance to 20th century collections. It is noted for Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings:

LondArtMusInt.jpg

We stayed a week post cruise in the Kensington Court area and used the Kensington High Street tube station..got to everywhere we wanted to go very easily....Did you also consider a trip on the tube to Camden Town to the markets/stable shopping areas....Wow !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of our favourites is the Tower Hotel, next to Tower Bridge & the Tower of London and also Club Quarters next to St. Pauls. If you want something extra special try Malmaison in Charterhouse Square or The Rookery. These are also near St. Pauls. They are all worth a Google!

Anywhere near a Tube station, makes all of London very accessible. You really do not need to pay high prices just to be 'in the right area'. A 15 minute tube ride can put you in several other 'nice' sections of London, to explore areas that maybe many tourists don't get to really see.

We did a 2 day pre cruise and a 5 day post crusie in London, last year. We used one of the days post crusie to do the Bath/Windsor/Stonehenge tour and we loved every minute of it.

Have you thought about doing the eurostar to Paris for a day. We also did that and even though it was a very long day, it was one of the highlites of our trip. It is easily done in a day, and if you have never been to Paris, here's your chance.

Cheers

Len

Why do you think you have to spend all 5 days in London ??

Get off the ship and go to a smaller town nearby for a day or 2 then another one - then go to London.

Big cities are not all there is - esp. as you have been there before.

Do some research - online is sooo easy, and make an itinerary that gives you a more personal funtime.

Have fun - not just plans,

MaryAnn

I think the OP was joking about being "forced" to be in London for 5 days. There's so much to do there, it's easy not to bother with day trips at all, at least that's my experience.

But, a day trip to Oxford would be #1 on my list, for sure, and easily reached by train. Greenwich is almost a day trip I hear (never been there, but would like to.) Hampton Court also kind of qualifies, at least for a half-day trip.

Thanks everyone. Very interesting advice and lots of great day trip advice. Terry, wonderful photos. And, Wendy, you are absolutely right. I was joking about being "forced" to stay in London. I love London. There are so many things to do there I could spend way more than 5 days. Its just that the availability of seats using frequent flier miles was such that it required a delay of 5 nights before returning to the US. A very fortunate happenstance indeed.:D

Thanks everyone. Very interesting advice and lots of great day trip advice. Terry, wonderful photos. And, Wendy, you are absolutely right. I was joking about being "forced" to stay in London. I love London. There are so many things to do there I could spend way more than 5 days.

travelbig: TLCOhio' date=' [b']Thanks for the wonderful pictures[/b]. They make me really anxious to go back.

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Lots of great things see and share such a wonderful and interesting town. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks everyone. Very interesting advice and lots of great day trip advice. Terry, wonderful photos. And, Wendy, you are absolutely right. I was joking about being "forced" to stay in London. I love London. There are so many things to do there I could spend way more than 5 days. Its just that the availability of seats using frequent flier miles was such that it required a delay of 5 nights before returning to the US. A very fortunate happenstance indeed.:D

Wherever you hang your hat, use London Walks both in town AND out of town tours. You mentioned the British Museum. It's so immense I realized that I'd be lost walking in cold, so I booked a walking tour with them. Our guide is a retired history professor so knows all the inside"dirt". Also important, It enabled me to orient myself to the museum so I was able to later enjoy it on my own. The guides are all blue badge and well educated about their subject. The out of town trips are by rail so less time is wasted in transit than by coach. I almost forgot - The Jack The Ripper Tour is outstanding, even with someone other than the famous Donald Rumbelow.

http://www.walks.com/index.aspx

You might consider renting a studio apartment. I used Basil Street Apartments, directly behind Harrods and short stroll to Knightsbridge tube stop.

The rate may be more than a mid price hotel, but you don't have to eat all your meals out. It's relaxing to come "home" and throw together a bite to eat after a busy day. Breakfast is easier, too. There's a grocery only a few blocks away. I think it's a Marks And Spencer, maybe Sainsbury.

http://www.citybaseapartments.com/uk/london/basils-apartments.php

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/showPlace.cfm?Place_ID=12645

Archived