***PHOTO Vancouver walking tour & Renaissance Harbourside, pre-cruise (August 2010)

daliflor

Vancouver Lookout Tower is situated in the middle of downtown Vancouver; had to ascend Harbour Centre to reach the Observation deck of the tower for some amazing panoramic views of the city.

P1110921.jpg

The area will look like this on a sunny day:

Lookout-North-East.jpg

First vista on a cloudy Friday morning - Canada Place and our Radiance of the Seas cruise ship (here by ATC Control Tower):

P1110948.jpg

P1110923.jpg

P1110924.jpg

Far above sea level, the viewing deck of the Vancouver Lookout Tower offers an unparalleled panoramic point of view of Burrard Inlet encompassing Lions Gate Bridge, the North Shore bulk installations, Canada Place and its cruise ship terminal (with Radiance of the Seas seen here).

P1110926.jpg

Right at the bottom of the tower, mingling with one of Vancouver's main transit and transport hubs, lay the tracks of CPR's downtown Vancouver switch yard.

P1110927.jpg

P1110928.jpg

P1110929.jpg

P1110930.jpg

American astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, opened the Vancouver Lookout in 1977.

Panoramic vista of the area is underlined below:

Lookout-Highlights3.jpg

Whether you are interested in ferry operations, bulk container traffic, port operations, cruise ships, recreational navigation or a bird's eye view of the largest commercial port in Canada, the Vancouver Lookout showed them all.

P1110931.jpg

The towers are unique and intriguing in their design and construction, with many featuring exquisite rooftop gardens.

P1110932.jpg

P1110934.jpg

Sun Tower (comically referred to as "Godzilla's baby bottle") is located at the edge of historic Gastown (gracing the eastern skyline).

Lookout-Towers.jpg

I enjoyed very much this heated indoor deck with panoramic windows.

Enjoying a riveting and spectacular 360 degrees view of Metro Vancouver’s cosmopolitan downtown, the vast Pacific Ocean or bustling Coal Harbour with the famous Stanley Park close by (as I returned full cycle to the starting point):

P1110945.jpg

P1110946.jpg

P1110947.jpg

Final notes from the observation deck:

Lookout-highlights2.jpg

Lookout-highlights.jpg

Daliflor, I have to say you are quite the photo-journalist. I have lived in and around Vancouver for all of my 65 years and worked in downtown Vancouver for more than 40 years....your photos photos have really caught the essence of what Vancouver is all about. It is almost enough to have me move home. Great work...and thanks for sharing your talent with us.

There are not a lot of people who would post 500 pictures of their hotel including multiple pictures of the bathroom and a picture of the daily newspaper.

You guys are something else. DON

Your kind words and constructive feedback are welcomed.

In addition, I apologize for being too analytical (though at times, the attention to details slipps away, especially at night, allowing for some typos). I'm a work in progress and your comments are being taken into consideration dearly.

Finally, let me please underline one more time that there is no intention of advertising but rather sharing a recent experience as the visual individual that I am.

The white building with the red "S" on it is the Scotia Bank tower at Vancouver Centre which I helped develop and was officed in for some 22 year. The building the name "Province" on it is where our eldest son works. It is great to see Vancouver as a visitor sees it.:)

Opened in 1977, the observation deck of the Vancouver Lookout Tower offers fascinating facts about the city, including the "competitors" - the other skyscrapers of the World!

P1110988.jpg

P1110989.jpg

It did not look like the rain will stop soon, so it was time for me to leave the Lookout Tower and open an umbrella to continue exploring the marvels of this Canadian city (seen below from the glass elevator as I was descending to the ground floor):

P1110997.jpg

P1110998.jpg

P1110995.jpg

Wish I can make a final return at night to marvel at the twinkling city lights blanketed under a star-studded sky... to gaze at the mesmerizing west coast sunset from high above the streets as dusk approaches...

Because this is why I like this forum: Google and tour guides are helpful, but nothing like hearing from real people that were that, seen that or done that! I feel like a sponge ready to absorb all this knowledge shared by kind locals or curious visitors as myself!

P1120011.jpg

"The rain falling softly from the sky,

Lets her know that heaven,

Is where good souls fly."

P1120009.jpg

With these lyrics in mind, what better next stop than the local Holy Rosary Cathedral?

(seen first from the observation deck of the Lookout Tower that I just left behind)

P1110939.jpg

The Cathedral, built in 490 days, is Gothic in style with the pointed arch, vaulted ceiling, clerestory windows, buttresses, and large stained-glass windows.

P1120005.jpg

P1120007.jpg

Holy Rosary Cathedral is built of sandstone from Gabriola Island on foun­dations of local granite. It was designed by T. E. Julian and H. J. Williams.

The stained glass windows of the Holy Rosary Roman Catholic Cathedral are impressive!

Stained Glass - the Assumption Window made by Guido Nincheri of Montreal

(Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, body and soul into heaven at the end of her earthly life)

P1120017.jpg

Stained Glass Windows and the Cathedral's Stations of the Cross (shown in the middle of the image below)

P1120018.jpg

Stained Glass - St. Therese Window (shown are her First Holy Communion, her petitioning of Pope Leo XIII for permission to enter Carmel although she was underage, her clothing as a Novice at the Lisieux Carmel, and her death there in 1897)

P1120020.jpg

Stained Glass - Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Window; first of the five Nincheri windows to be installed; 1941

(Our Lady with the Child in vibrant colours; both Mother and Child hold a rosary in hand. At their feet are St. Dominic and St. Catherine of Siena, traditional saints of the Rosary)

P1120024.jpg

In 1916 the "Church of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary" was declared a Cathedral.

P1120026.jpg

Holy Rosary's magnificent symphonic organ - built in 1900 and restored in 2000 by Casavant Freres, is reputed to be one of the most beautiful organs on the West Coast:

P1120028.jpg

P1120029.jpg

P1120036.jpg

In the middle aisle, near the main entrance of the Cathedral, a Labyrinth (or Maze) is worked into the porcelain tiles. Cut by a laser beam saw, the pattern is formed by contrasting coloured tiles. The pattern is the same as that found in the sixth century Basilica of San Vitale in Ravenna.

P1120037.jpg

Colorful flowers in a vibrant city:

P1120038.jpg

This bronze Bull statue was installed in front of the BC Turf Building in downtown Vancouver in 2000

(a tribute to the building owner's favorite prize bull, Royal Sweet Diamond; statue created by Joe Fafard):

P1120041.jpg

The GOLD Rush adventure started on the streets of Vancouver for me as only TIME can tell : )

P1120044.jpg

Next stop (for a girl)? Visit Robson Street and indulge yourself with Vancouver shopping!

P1120067.jpg

P1120079.jpg

Robson Street runs east-west through downtown Vancouver, from Yaletown to the West End. With a weekend average of some 80,000 streetgoers, there are plenty of people to watch on this famous local street!

P1120057.jpg

Vancouver's gentle and mild climate is ideal for those who like to keep active, and Vancouverites are among the healthiest people in North America.

P1120065.jpg

La vie en rose - and it's not the signature song of French singer Édith Piaf : )

P1120066.jpg

Spend a day (or couple of hours) on the strip - try on outfits at trend-setting fashion boutiques!

P1120064.jpg

Tired? Jump on the colorful local bus for a while!

P1120072.jpg

Did you miss the touristic bus? Here it is again around noon that Friday!

P1120077.jpg

Vancouver is affectionately referred to by the rest of Canada as "LOTUS LAND" because of its relaxed and laid-back atmosphere.

P1120080.jpg

P1120075.jpg

Quand il me prend dans ses bras

Il me parle tout bas,

Je vois la vie en rose.

P1120076.jpg

Il me dit des mots d'amour,

Des mots de tous les jours,

Et ca me fait quelque chose...

P1120073.jpg

Prefer less jostling among crowds? Head to the Vancouver Art Gallery facing Robson Square (housed in a former early-20th-century courthouse, the VAG is a heaven for art lovers)

P1120062.jpg

P1120060.jpg

Roof painted to resemble waethered copper; some of them are glowing at night!

P1120061.jpg

P1120049.jpg

Opened in 1977, the observation deck of the Vancouver Lookout Tower offers fascinating facts about the city, including the "competitors" - the other skyscrapers of the World!

What they probably didn't tell you about the Harbour Centre building is that it's the single most important location for the internet in Western Canada. It's a peering point where every major North American internet backbone company interconnects. The building is filled with major data centres....

What they probably didn't tell you about the Harbour Centre building is that it's the single most important location for the internet in Western Canada. It's a peering point where every major North American internet backbone company interconnects. The building is filled with major data centres....

Now we all know it - always learning something new! Thanks for sharing!

Now back to the walking tour, this was my dilemma after lunch: do I check in and relax on the ship before the 3pm informal Meet & Mingle by the Pool Bar or... do I rush it and see two more atractions before Embarkation? Decided for the latest!

As I passed by the Marine Building early that morning, I stopped by again just to touch it before heading to the Stanley Park for a short visit.

P1110850.jpg

For old-timers, the Marine building is an art deco building most clearly identified with Vancouver (321 ft or 98 m; pyramid rooftop).

P1120259.jpg

The Marine Building - its unique wedding cake “icing”, topped by that vaguely Mayan tower, makes a dramatic and exciting backdrop as you look west down Hastings.

P1120263A.jpg

The white moldings along the building's edges (resembling icing on a cake) are carved with depictions of all things marine (seahorses, anchors, crabs and more).

P1120260.jpg

The Marine Building - one of the great art deco buildings in the world; it's lavish in every sense of the word from top to bottom.

Lookout-Towers-1.jpg

A mass of intricately carved marine life - lobsters, crabs, prawns and starfish crawling over each other through a waving forest of seaweed.

P1120262.jpg

70 plus years ago, when it was new and the colors were brighter, it must have been a dazzler!

P1120261.jpg

P1120264.jpg

My last stop that day was the Stanley Park.

Again, I'm saying up front that this beauty needs to be explored with time and patience in your hands! It's an outstanding place and my short trolley tour will not make it justice!

P1120090.jpg

Being close to the hotel, I took the local bus # 19 (around the corner) and in 10 minutes I was at Stanley Park

($2.00 CAD one way; only had USD, so the driver was super cool and didn't charge me a penny! Told me to spend the $$$ inside the park instead)!

P1120091.jpg

If your time is better than mine, you can step aboard one of the old-fashioned horse-drawn vehicles and meander in comfort through the natural beauty of Stanley Park!

P1120093.jpg

P1120095.jpg

Stanley Park, a 404.9-hectare urban park was officially opened on September 27, 1887. Bordering on downtown Vancouver, Canada’s first official green space is the largest city-leased park in Canada.

P1120096.jpg

Archived