Getting caught with Rum Runners ?

Alliea

If you get caught, does it take long for them to notify you? And is there a long line in that room to get your luggage? Why don't they just take it out, and put a note in your bag, and deliever it , I wonder. Maybe that is illegal ? What I am asking is- if I get caught ( can care less), but will I have my luggage before dinner?

If you get caught, does it take long for them to notify you? And is there a long line in that room to get your luggage? Why don't they just take it out, and put a note in your bag, and deliever it , I wonder. Maybe that is illegal ? What I am asking is- if I get caught ( can care less), but will I have my luggage before dinner?

I think that's what they do...take it out and leave you a note. JHaven't had it happen to me...yet. If your bag is locked and they suspect something they'll call you to the naughty room to open it. Depending on the number of passengers and amouint of luggage, you may or may not have your luggage by dinner rum runners or none in side.

Caught with a Rum Runner?? How is that possible?

I approach the bartender and ask that he make me a Rum Runner. He does, I pay him and wander off sipping my drink. What's to catch???

Surely you aren't talking about those used colostomy bags people use for smuggling?

Edited by dan40

I didn't get my luggage before dinner and my bags didn't detour to the naughty room so don't count on your bags either way. Lots of people did get their luggage but when ours hadn't arrived by dinner, I asked my room steward what the hold up was and she asked if we smuggled anything into it and I said no. She said then I'll try to see what the holdup is and when we got back from dinner, our bags were inside our room. She was the best.:)

Just pack what you need for dinner in a carry on and hope for the best. By the way, I used rum runner once in my carry on and got thru ok. It was hidden pretty well though.

Caught with a Rum Runner?? How is that possible?

I approach the bartender and ask that he make me a Rum Runner. He does, I pay him and wander off sipping my drink. What's to catch???

Surely you aren't talking about those used colostomy bags people use for smuggling?

LOL!!!Tooooo funny.

We checked in by 10:30 a.m. - had VIP boarding and tags - everyone in our party received their luggage and mine showed up about 9:30 p.m.

I didn't have anything in it and it had not been opened - ziptie still intact. It simply got delayed somewhere so don't ever count on your luggage before dinner (just in case).

If you get caught, does it take long for them to notify you? And is there a long line in that room to get your luggage?

Don't know about Rum Runners, but my mother-in-law got caught with a bottle of vodka (on an NCL cruise out of Long Beach) and we had to go to the "Naughty Room" while the security people searched bag, removed the hooch, and then gave her a claim ticket ;-) It was a busy place. There was a long line. :eek:

Johncn

We checked in by 10:30 a.m. - had VIP boarding and tags - everyone in our party received their luggage and mine showed up about 9:30 p.m.

It's been my observation that the earlier I get to port and check in my luggage, the later the luggage arrives, VIP tags and all. I think the earlier stuff gets put at the bottom of the pile. Just my theory.

It's been my observation that the earlier I get to port and check in my luggage, the later the luggage arrives, VIP tags and all. I think the earlier stuff gets put at the bottom of the pile. Just my theory.

I agree. I am always one of the first to the check in and I always get my luggage very late that evening.

Maybe we've been lucky but we've sailed VIP at least 20 times and usually always have luggage by 2:00 - 2:30. There were 6 in our party this time and everyone had theirs around 2pm (including our other 2 pieces). My main suitcase simply went astray somewhere along the way.

Almost every cruise (including this one) we've gotten a note in the cabin that someone didn't get their luggage at all and to check our staterooms. In that tight space...do they think you wouldn't NOTICE an extra suitcase?? :p

Rum Runner or not there is no guarantee or promise that you will have your luggage before dinner.

I think it depends on the port...we usually arrive early..especially since becoming Platinum...bags are dropped off early...sometimes we have them by dinner and then again a couple of times it's been after dinner..we always opt for early dining...but in San Diego..our bags were waiting for us by our door when the rooms opened at 1:30...so ...no rhyme or reason..If you don't want to go to the diningroom in what you wore for embarcation then I like the idea of packing something in your carry on bag...but know that the first night the diningroom staff expects all manner of dress..not a problem...enjoy your cruise...

Almost every cruise (including this one) we've gotten a note in the cabin that someone didn't get their luggage at all and to check our staterooms. In that tight space...do they think you wouldn't NOTICE an extra suitcase?? :p

Ditto on that thought!! :D :D

To the OP... if they find any prohibited items during their screening process:

...and your luggage is unlocked, they will remove it, leave a note & deliver the bag to your cabin.

... if your luggage is locked, you will be called down to open it for them to check and/or confiscate, then you can take your bag with you.

I smuggled in a tiny bottle of vodka and didn't get that suitcase until after dinner. My husband was all like it's your own fault, they know you had booze in it! I told him that at least I wouldn't have to go to the naughty room because I just closed it with a zip tie.

The suitcase was there when we got back from dinner, unopened. Whew!

To the OP... if they find any prohibited items during their screening process:

...and your luggage is unlocked, they will remove it, leave a note & deliver the bag to your cabin.

... if your luggage is locked, you will be called down to open it for them to check and/or confiscate, then you can take your bag with you.

Thank you!

We always just put whatever we will need for the first night in our carry on luggage. I figure that way as long as I get my luggage by the next morning I'm OK. That said, we've always had our luggage before dinner and been unpacked and settled in prior to eating. Even when we had early dinner.

We don't tend to get to the port very early - around 11 or so - so I'm guessing our luggage is somewhere in the middle of the pile.

We just got off the Liberty, out of 5 rooms and 12 Lts of boose only 1 Lt made it, bags that were unlocked the boose was removed and a note left inside, locked bags got a letter sent to the room to go down to deck 1 between 4 and 6pm and the boose was removed.

if the boose was in a sealed bottle you got it back on the last night.

if the boose was in a rum runner or other container then it was distroyed.

We also had our 12 packs of soda opened and checked to see if we had beer inside.

On the good side we were on a B2B and got our unopened bottles back on the last night of the 1st cruise along with the boose we bought in the duty free shop.

If I zip-tie my luggage and they confiscate something, will it be returned when we disembark, or is it gone for good? I like to carry a pocket knife, and I know they say no "weapons".... so I'm wondering if I put a pocket knife in my checked bags and they consider it a weapon, will they confiscate it and return it later, or will I lose it?

If I zip-tie my luggage and they confiscate something, will it be returned when we disembark, or is it gone for good? I like to carry a pocket knife, and I know they say no "weapons".... so I'm wondering if I put a pocket knife in my checked bags and they consider it a weapon, will they confiscate it and return it later, or will I lose it?

I always carry a pocket knife. On each cruise, I just put it in my shaving kit on my checked luggage and then get it when I get my luggage. Just make sure not to carry your pocket knife off the boat when you are in ports. They will take it when you come back on the boat and they don't save it for you. You will never see it again.;)

Posted this on another thread...

I am a veteran cruiser / smuggler of 15 cruiser's, so didn't anticipate any problems on our just recent (9/11) voyage on the Dream. Imagine my surprise when we got a little form letter from security to come downstairs (deck 1 or 2 ?) to open my small duffel bag with a case of Miller lite 16 oz plastic bottles. Security was not rude, nor lecturing, they simply took inventory of the bag, had me sign a piece of paper...and then returned it to me on the last night...and I do mean night (8:00 pm). I was quite surprised to see many cruisers waiting in front of me, and some of the elaborate bottles they had put alcohol in. There was one couple that brought the whole bar with them. The wife was just letting the head of the security detail have it...to his credit, he smiled and apologized, even though he could have had her removed from the ship theoretically.

To add insult to injury, one of my fellow cruisers (Tommyjeepster on these boards) got his confiscated as well. My loss was his gain though...he and his wife (dutyfree4me) got my beer being that we couldn't take it on the plane with us. Tommy has been sending me pics of him drinking my beer daily...what a friend.

will I have my luggage before dinner?

Not about rum runners, but in general, you need not be concerned about getting your luggage before dinner.

Delivery delays happen and not always due to alcohol. Sometimes bags are delivered to the wrong room, or wrong deck.

Because of this, there is no dress code the first night at dinner. You can go in shorts or t-shirt or whatever you have on when you board the ship - it won't raise an eyebrow anywhere.