Eurodam debarkation in FLL

Smartcookie

What has everyone's experience been getting off the ship in Fort Lauderdale?

Typically how quickly can you get out of the terminal (what time?).

I HATE waiting around at airports and try to book the earliest flight possible when going home from a cruise - last time in Miami our flight was at noon and we arrived way too early, we sat around the airport for 2 hours....

I wish I had booked a 10 or 11 am flight.

We have gotten off ships as early as 7, and as late as 10:35 (delay due to Immigration looking for Canadians who did not check in with them) and just about every time in between.

We have also been late into port due to bad weather.

we only have to drive home, but if we flew, there is no way I would ruin my vacation by ending it with the risk of thinking i could be at the FLL airport by 10 or 11 am....

you just cannot know for sure how early you will get off the ship... too many variables....

A 10:00AM -11:00AM flight would be cutting it a bit close. Getting out of the terminal in FLL (Pt. Everglades) is not the problem. They do a great job in FLL.

The problem is the FLL Airport - it can be a complete madhouse, especially on the weekends. And if there are 3 or 4 ships disembarking on the same morning with most pax headed to the airport - you might not be able to make an early flight. Better to have a later flight and be waiting in the airport than an earlier one you might not make. :) :)

Anyone who books at flight that early is taking a big risk. Yes, of course, you might make it and yes, you may not.

We were on the Eurodam cruise that arrived back at FLL around 12 noon as we had an anchor problem at HMC the day before. We knew the night before we would be late and those with early flights missed them.

If you are good at 'rolling with it' then fine, book an early flight.

If you are not a good risk taker, I suggest you don't book that early flight.

The lines at FLL airport can be very long and if you are stuck in that line for check in and at security, well,,,,,,,, that's too bad. You're stuck.

As the above poster said, the HAL Shore Staff do a fabulous job getting people through the FLL terminal. They are really excellent at what they do but they can't clear everyone until the ship arrives. :eek:

I agree with the above comments. Last December we disembarked the MS Eurodam and from walking out of our suite, picking up bags, clearing customs and a taxi to the airport took only 40 minutes. So that is what can happen if everything goes as plans.

Problem being it doesn't always work that well.

Sooooo many things can go wrong -- ship arrives late -- ship doesn't clear right away -- we have experienced a lot of delays -- even a couple in Ft Lauderdale.

Rarely have I seen a HAL ship clear by 7 AM in any port. The earliest I have seen a ship clear in Ft Lauderdale has been arounf 8 AM.

Ft Lauderdale airport can be a zoo -- long lines to get through security - especially on the weekends when there are quite a few ships in port.

Book your flight for Noon or later.

A two hour wait at the airport really isn't that long - all things considered. No need to be the first one off the ship then. You can have a leisurely breakfast, leave the ship around 9 and be at the airport before 10. As others have said, check-in and security is never a breeze at FLL.

I agree with the above comments. Last December we disembarked the MS Eurodam and from walking out of our suite, picking up bags, clearing customs and a taxi to the airport took only 40 minutes. So that is what can happen if everything goes as plans.

Problem being it doesn't always work that well.

Greetings Bruce-

See you've got two trips booked. Congrats!! Cary & I wish you both smooth seas. :D

Slightly off topic, but I couldn't get a clear answer in the Florida section of the board.

We have a car rental booked through Alamo, and I would like to check that they run a courtesy shuttle from the port to the airport rental plaza?

Slightly off topic, but I couldn't get a clear answer in the Florida section of the board.

We have a car rental booked through Alamo, and I would like to check that they run a courtesy shuttle from the port to the airport rental plaza?

There are not individual shuttles for the different rental companies, there is one "generic" shuttle that goes to all the rental lots. It is the same way if you are renting a car on the front end of the cruise, you return the car to the airport and catch the shuttle to the port. One note, the shuttle TO the port does not pick up passengers until around 11:00am. You may see them before but they will not pick you up until they have gotten all the port passengers to FLL

There are not individual shuttles for the different rental companies, there is one "generic" shuttle that goes to all the rental lots. It is the same way if you are renting a car on the front end of the cruise, you return the car to the airport and catch the shuttle to the port. One note, the shuttle TO the port does not pick up passengers until around 11:00am. You may see them before but they will not pick you up until they have gotten all the port passengers to FLL

That's really annoying, you would think as they are going back anyway they could take passengers. Sounds like we will need to get a cab.

Thanks for the info.

We sailed into Ft. Lauderdale on Feb 6, 2010 on the Eurodam -- one of 7 or 8 ships disembarking, including the Oasis of the Seas. We had an 11:25 flight (Southwest). We were off the ship early and caught a taxi to FLL. Once there, we encountered long lines to check baggage. The entire checkin process was more chaotic due to storms in New England which was cancelling flights ... which means reroutes, extra time to check in, ....

After checking our bags, we were through security with enough time to hit the restroom, then grab a grab-it-and-go sandwich for lunch before boarding our plane.

I'm not sure when you are traveling ... or how many other ships will be with you, but that is something to consider.

If you can carry your baggage off by yourself, you'll be one of the first pax to disembark.

You will get a form to fill out on the ship to expedite your disembarkment, so that's when you can state that you will carry off your own luggage.

Thanks, having never cruised HAL I wasn't sure that we could carry our own luggage off.

What has everyone's experience been getting off the ship in Fort Lauderdale?

Typically how quickly can you get out of the terminal (what time?).

I HATE waiting around at airports and try to book the earliest flight possible when going home from a cruise - last time in Miami our flight was at noon and we arrived way too early, we sat around the airport for 2 hours....

I wish I had booked a 10 or 11 am flight.

Sometimes something happens and the ship arrives late. In February our embarkation was delalyed till 3 pm because the Eurodam did not make it into port till about 12:30 pm due to problems with the anchor at Half Moon Cay.

Archived