Help me avoid formal nights, please

Merig75484

Well, thank you for setting me straight too. So I guess for now on we will dine in the MDR on formal nights and go to the specialty restaurants on casual nights. On a recent Summit cruise, most men wore at least jackets and all women were elegantly dressed at the Normandie restaurant on casual nights.

Although smart casual is the dress for specialty restaurants now, most people do still tend to dress up.

There is no dinner buffet available on any night, including formal.

i thought it was posted here that every eveing there is not a traditional dinner buffet but there is a

1. pasta station that is prepared to order

2. salad bar

3. pizza

4. sushi

these seem like pretty good options if you choose to opt of the dining room.

i thought it was posted here that every eveing there is not a traditional dinner buffet but there is a

1. pasta station that is prepared to order

2. salad bar

3. pizza

4. sushi

these seem like pretty good options if you choose to opt of the dining room.

Yes, and there are some additional items as well. While they do not have an elaborate buffet at dinner like they do for breakfast and lunch, there are still several options to select from in the buffet area at dinner time.

i 100% agree, cruising has a little bit of everything :cool: and is a very easy way to travel/vacation. many want or need a cruise to relax, get away from the everyday formalities and stresses of work and for those people and others, dressing up for formal night is not on the list of priorities. on the other hand, others do enjoy dressing up and that's great too, but neither type of cruiser should be criticizing the other for thier choice to dress or not to dress. to each his own!

Agreed. One of the reasons I enjoy cruising is because of the diversity of the passengers. I always wear nice slacks with a sport coat on formal nights and I have never felt underdressed nor was I approached by any staff or passenger to tell me I was inappropriately dressed in the MDR.

Agreed. One of the reasons I enjoy cruising is because of the diversity of the passengers. I always wear nice slacks with a sport coat on formal nights and I have never felt underdressed nor was I approached by any staff or passenger to tell me I was inappropriately dressed in the MDR.

Not that it really matters, but many of the cruiselines include slacks and sportcoats as part of their definiton of formalwear. Celebrity does not. I don't know if your cruises have been on other lines, but Celebrity is a bit more formal than some of the others. Other passengers would not be so rude as to say anything to you onboard, but according to Celebrity's definition of proper dining attire, a sportcoat is not appropriate.

Will you be allowed to enter the dining room? Yes.

Not that it really matters, but many of the cruiselines include slacks and sportcoats as part of their definiton of formalwear. Celebrity does not. I don't know if your cruises have been on other lines, but Celebrity is a bit more formal than some of the others. Other passengers would not be so rude as to say anything to you onboard, but according to Celebrity's definition of proper dining attire, a sportcoat is not appropriate.

Here we go again.....................

Here we go again.....................

Your comment is unnecessary. As I said, people will be allowed in dressed this way, but if you could kindly point out where Celebrity says sportcoats are considered formalwear, I'd appreciate it.:) I'm aware you don't agree, but it is what it is. Until, "they" agree, I'll try to give people correct information.

My last cruise was on the solstice last march, and I actually did wear a suit on formal night b/c we had dinner at the captains table. I acknowledge that celebrity is "a bit more formal" than other cruise lines and I am also aware that allowed into MDR with a sport coat. Of course no other passenger would say anything to anyone in person, they only criticize and flex their know all behind their keyboards. The point of my post was to express my personal experience. What was the point of your post?

There is a very nice dinner option for a $2 cover charge, or actually I believe they call it a service charge, at the Waterfall Cafe on the Millennium. You can choose appetizer, soup or salad, entree and dessert just as in the main dining room, however you do not have to dress up. I actually wanted to eat there and we sort of forgot about it. The menu looked very interesting!

There is a very nice dinner option for a $2 cover charge, or actually I believe they call it a service charge, at the Waterfall Cafe on the Millennium. You can choose appetizer, soup or salad, entree and dessert just as in the main dining room, however you do not have to dress up. I actually wanted to eat there and we sort of forgot about it. The menu looked very interesting!

That is a very fine alternative; and, the food is very good.

By the way, MaBell, again you are right on the money.

The same as yours. To express my personal experience and try to provide the facts.;)

That's good, because for a minute I thought you were trying to act like you know everything and pass judgement on those of us who haven't read the celebrity procedures and policies handbook. Keep up the good work:rolleyes:

That is a red herring, if you go through the contract you will find somewhere a coverall clause that you sign which states you will abide by the cruise rules and be responsible for those in your party...

A contract must be specific to be enforceable.If you go over the contract it is very clear what are the rules.Dress cde is not mentioned.

I think the OP has two choices: choose NCL or stay home. For every person that is in the "I refuse" club, there are at least that many and more in the "aren't cruise traditions grand?" club. That would be me. I have two tuxes (mostly for business, but also for cruising), and planning a cruise entitles my wife to go buy a new formal. What woman doesn't like formal shopping?

Sorry, call me old fashioned, but formal nights are our favorite parts of the cruise.

(For the record, am I the only one who is tired of the constant battle between formal/no formal night threads? Enough already)

Or the OP can do what we do, eat in the Specialty Resturants or buffet on formal night:) Staying home just because of two evenings out of eleven?? Really? Not everyone's travel revolves around dress up, but I can respect the fact that some people love that aspect of cruising. Please respect the fact that many of us will utilize one of the many options X provides for those who don't wish to dress up.

That's good, because for a minute I thought you were trying to act like you know everything and pass judgement on those of us who haven't read the celebrity procedures and policies handbook. Keep up the good work:rolleyes:

I always try to provide the facts, whether I personally agree with them or not. I don't write the policies and procedures and certainly don't enforce them. I also don't believe in manipulating them to suit my own purpose.:rolleyes:

Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread. I just want to say hello to Tallyten : aren't you the Captain's Assistant ?:D

Hi guys,

Yes, I am. What are you up to? That was a great cruise and so long ago. We miss you! Have been to your corner of the world twice on cruises and have thought of you both every time.

We did this last year on the Century and really enjoyed it! There was some talk that this had been discontinued on the Summit. So you saw this in operation on your recent Millie cruise?

To add a bit of humor to the formal/non-formal debate....not sure I should even admit this, as I'm liable to be banned from the board :eek: and it's actually kind of embarrassing, but funny at the same time......

I've only cruised 1 time on RCCL (my 1st Celebrity is upcoming and I promise not to do this again, OK??). The cruise was really bad - ship was too big, too crowded, too many kids - spent hours just waiting for elevators on that ship. And I got sick on the 2nd day with some viral/upper respiratory/chest thing going on. As the week wore on, I was getting sicker, as I was trying to do my shore excursions and see places, as I'd never been to them before. By the 2nd formal night, I was running a fever and feeling like crap, so I skipped it and went to the buffet.

I wanted to stop and get a cup of tea to bring back to the room with me, but forgot it. Got back to the room and into my nightgown and remembered the tea.

Now, since this was my first cruise, I didn't realize that I could call the room steward or even room service. And I didn't have enough energy to get dressed again, but I really needed that cup of hot tea to make me feel better - so I put on my flip-flops and went to the cafe to get my cup of tea.

Now I never did figure out the elevators in relation to my stateroom on that ship, so I of course got on the wrong one and wound up having to walk the entire Promenade area to get to the cafe. At this point, they were doing a champagne toast with the captain or officers - lots of uniforms and very formally dressed people. And here I came with my nightgown (now it did have satin trim, so it was a fairly formal nightgown ;):D) and flip-flops to get my cup of tea! :o:eek:

I think the OP has two choices: choose NCL or stay home.

Le Sigh! there always has to be one :rolleyes:

Why oh why does it always have to be NCL? why is not wanting to partake in formal night equated to the lowest cruise experience out there? why not Azamara, Oceania, Seabourn, Regent? Azamara, Oceania and Regent don't have them and Seabourn now don't on cruises of 7 days or less. Is it really that hard for you to share a ship with people who just aren't into formal night? you won't catch anything I promise...although if manners are infectious you might want to try!

To add a bit of humor to the formal/non-formal debate....not sure I should even admit this, as I'm liable to be banned from the board :eek: and it's actually kind of embarrassing, but funny at the same time......

I've only cruised 1 time on RCCL (my 1st Celebrity is upcoming and I promise not to do this again, OK??). The cruise was really bad - ship was too big, too crowded, too many kids - spent hours just waiting for elevators on that ship. And I got sick on the 2nd day with some viral/upper respiratory/chest thing going on. As the week wore on, I was getting sicker, as I was trying to do my shore excursions and see places, as I'd never been to them before. By the 2nd formal night, I was running a fever and feeling like crap, so I skipped it and went to the buffet.

I wanted to stop and get a cup of tea to bring back to the room with me, but forgot it. Got back to the room and into my nightgown and remembered the tea.

Now, since this was my first cruise, I didn't realize that I could call the room steward or even room service. And I didn't have enough energy to get dressed again, but I really needed that cup of hot tea to make me feel better - so I put on my flip-flops and went to the cafe to get my cup of tea.

Now I never did figure out the elevators in relation to my stateroom on that ship, so I of course got on the wrong one and wound up having to walk the entire Promenade area to get to the cafe. At this point, they were doing a champagne toast with the captain or officers - lots of uniforms and very formally dressed people. And here I came with my nightgown (now it did have satin trim, so it was a fairly formal nightgown ;):D) and flip-flops to get my cup of tea! :o:eek:

Best post, ever, on this topic!

Some of the hot topics: this one, tipping, etc. are like campaigns. Each side has valid points and some of the posters absolutely refuse to accept the opponents' views. I think it's time for everyone to agree to disagree.

Yes, it is written, formal wear, tux or suit & tie.

Yes, you can eat in the mdr with a sport jacket. (Maybe even no jacket?)

My take is that the trend is getting away from formal. Celebrity still offers it because they know they have pax who love it. They also know they have pax who would like to move toward a more relaxed dress code, so they don't enforce it.

That's the whole story in a nutshell!

I think the OP has two choices: choose NCL or stay home. For every person that is in the "I refuse" club, there are at least that many and more in the "aren't cruise traditions grand?" club. That would be me. I have two tuxes (mostly for business, but also for cruising), and planning a cruise entitles my wife to go buy a new formal. What woman doesn't like formal shopping?

Sorry, call me old fashioned, but formal nights are our favorite parts of the cruise.

(For the record, am I the only one who is tired of the constant battle between formal/no formal night threads? Enough already)

No you aren't the only one who gets tired of the battle - I'm tired of posters making pompous fatuous sweeping statements such as yours. There are plenty of options on board Celebrity ships for those cruisers who choose NOT to take formalwear. It has been mentioned several times that the specialty restaurant dress code is smart casual; there is also lighter fare available in the form of pasta, sushi etc. usually on the buffet deck, and also that there is a lighter informal casual dining option for the nominal $2. All of these venues are smart casual. The theatre and other public spaces adhere to the smart casual dress code and are available to all who follow this rule.

The OP very politely asked what options there were other than the formal one. How that is transcribed into "I refuse" is beyond me. If you choose to go for the formal option, you are very welcome to, but please don't post such a stupid statement as "Two choices: NCL or stay home"

give me a break...........

Hi guys,

Yes, I am. What are you up to? That was a great cruise and so long ago. We miss you! Have been to your corner of the world twice on cruises and have thought of you both every time.

Tallyten, Hi to you too:D Yes that was a great cruise wasn't it ! Would you like to e-mail me so we can catch up ? this is the adress (but without the spaces)

pub struyf @ pandora dot be. Or you can give me yours and I'll e-mail you ?

Archived