To white or not

Gypsy62

There was anotjer thread abt exactly this not too long ago. The general consensus in that thread seemed to be that this no longer applied (if it ever did) and especially not in warm weather locales where 1. Labor day does not exist and 2. They have warm weather all season long.

I have recently come back from a NE/Canada cruise where the avg age of the passengers were 60+++ and saw many many many women and men in white shirts, skirts, capris and even shoes...after labor day.

First of all, if someone specifically asks, THEY care.

It's true - the "no white after Labor Day" only applied to the US, but it's since been killed off within the last 10 years. When traveling, it's always a good idea to pack/wear what's appropriate for that climate. If going to a tropical climate, white and lighter weight fabics will be the norm.

I was at a party yesterday here in Southern France and at least 6 ladies were wearing white pants,there were summer strappy dresses, bare legs and sandals, couple of guys were in white linen, and panama hats abounded. It was hot, so why not?

WHY are there even rules about clothing anymore? Who's gonna care, Joan Rivers & The Fashion Police??? :rolleyes:Wear what you want when you want to! And enjoy!

I dont often see white pants in East windsor in the winter though....:)

Hi neighbor.

======================

My opinion on white pants in the winter is, they belong in a warm climate, wherever that might be for you. They're fine when you're cruising whatever the month may be- if you're in the Caribbean/ Bermuda! Having been in the fashion industry in a past life, my personal opinion is white pants dont cut it in the winter in the northeast. but, fashion is very personal.

WHY are there even rules about clothing anymore? Who's gonna care, Joan Rivers & The Fashion Police??? :rolleyes:

Wear what you want when you want to! And enjoy!

If you don't care about fashion, that's fine. However, the OP obviously does and this is appropriate place to talk about it.

I don't care for sports, but I wouldn't go into a sports forum discussion about which team might win and say, "who cares it's only a game?". ;)

What about white capris after labor day?

Here are the sensible rules:

If you're in a hot climate, you can wear white summer fabrics such as cotton and linen. So if you're in the Carribbean in January, you're fine with wearing white.

If it's November and you're in Canada, you're going to look ridiculous in white linen. However, if you wore white winter clothes, such as winter white wool pants or skirt, it's an absolutely sophisticated look. And if you wear down or poly filled coats/jackets/vests, you can of course wear them in the winter....you wouldn't wear them in the summer. :D

A white cotton shirt, paired with winter weight pants or skirt or jeans is absolutely fine. However, a linen shirt in winter looks like the wearer is clueless in fashion.

On a cruise, dress for the climate you're visiting. If it's summer here in the US and you're cruising South American or Australia, bring your warm clothes because it's winter there. And if you're going to the caribbean, wear summer clothes 12 months a year.

Have a great cruise!

Yes and no.

The rule has changed but it's not dead. The change is that it's about the fabric more than about the color.

As I said before, white wool, white down jackets, or a white fur vest are fine. However, white linen isn't, but then again, neither is black linen appropriate in the winter.....meaning a place with a winter climate. I'm not talking about Florida or the Caribbean.

The fabric is more important thatn the color.

You are kidding - aren't you. You can't possibly be serious. Who cares.

DON

Hey Don,

Thanks for those pithy pearls of wisdom that added so much to a fashion discussion appropriately being discussed in a fashion forum.

Archived