Should HAL and Princess swap ships for Bermuda

Sirdar

I'm wondering if the folks at Carnival Corporation have considered the possiblity of swapping the Veendam with one of the small Princess ships (Pacific Princess or Ocean Princess) for the NYC to Bermuda run? The Princess ships would have no problem with docking at St. Geoges.The size and passanger capacity of these Princess ships are, admittedly, half that of the Veendam but both seem a better fit for this destination particularly when considering the turmoil that has surrounded the tendering into St. Georges.

I'm not sure what the economics of this would mean to HAL but even if the fares were adjusted upwards to compensate for fewer passangers I'm sure there would be no problem in filling up the ship as this run seems very popular. The advantage of being able to dock in St. Georges is obvious and much more in keeping with the traditional sailing to Bermuda.

One year we sailed on the Westward -- NCL -- which is now Fred Olsen's Black Watch:

Gross Registered Tonnage 28,492 Passengers (Maximum) 892 Crew 330 Flag Norway Entered Service June 1972 Builder Wartsila, Finland Build Cost $22,500,000 Star Rating (Berlitz) **** Length Overall (metres) 205.47 Beam (metres) 25.2 Draft (metres) 7.5 Power 13,400 kW Engine Type Diesel Former Names Royal Viking Star, Westward, Star Odyssey

Mid-Size Ship: 28,613 tons

Lifestyle: Standard

Cruise Line: Fred Olsen Cruise Lines

Former Names: Star Odyssey,

Westward, Royal Viking Star

Builder: Wartsila (Finland)

Original Cost: $22.5 million

Entered Service: June 1972/Nov 1996

Registry: The Bahamas

Length (ft/m): 674.1/205.47

Beam (ft/m): 82.6/25.20

Draft (ft/m): 24.7/7.55

Statistics on the Prinsendam:

Built atWärtsilä Marine Industries Inc., Turku, FinlandShip's RegistryThe NetherlandsGross tonnage38,000 grt.Length extreme669' 3" (204.00 m)Beam waterline94'10" (28.90 m)Beam extreme106' 0" (32.32 m)

Draft --22' 11" (7.00 m)

This is the information that I could find on the 2 ships.

You be the judge.

Sorry -- have a problem posting the information.

Each cruise line sets their own itineraries (as mentioned already). Bermuda establishes a contract with cruise lines - with Veendam, they get 1350 passengers vs 680. Setting higher rates doesn't solve the problem - Bermuda wants the tourists spending money ashore. They would prefer 1350 rather than 680 per week. Also, as mentioned, the run is popular. Veendam had no problem filling up either - if I were Carnival, I'd rather fill up (or even go 90%) of 1350 than sell out 680!

The cruise ships (except the small Princess ships and maybe Prinsendam) of the mainstream lines won't fit in St. George's. Unless/until they make modifications to the Town Cut, this is the way it's going to be. Bermuda also dictates where you dock/visit and for how long.

Unless HAL is able to convince Bermuda to let them bypass St. George's for Hamilton only, this is something we all have to live with. (I did this past July. Convenient? Not really, but not a deal-breaker for me either).

Bermuda could solve this problem for all concerned. If they want to promote tourism to St George's, they need to dredge/fix the channel and show some flexability on how they treat cruise ships. They want their cake and eat it too. Great island, great people, but the government has an attitude of our way or the highway. They are their own worst enemy.

Bermuda could solve this problem for all concerned. If they want to promote tourism to St George's, they need to dredge/fix the channel and show some flexability on how they treat cruise ships. They want their cake and eat it too. Great island, great people, but the government has an attitude of our way or the highway. They are their own worst enemy.

It's not just dredging, the cut has to be widened by 50 feet in order for the Veendam to fit...

According to Capt. Stephen Card (Topsham) it would cost at least 20 million for them to widen the cut & take out the bend...

Check out this thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1206235&highlight=

Check out Topsham's post: No. 16 & No. 24..in which he explains the problems..

BTW if you do not know who Topsham is: He's been a sea Capt. & in 1982 and 1983 he was Queen's Harbour Master, Bermuda with the Department of Marine & Ports Services...And he is the wonderful painter who has painted all the HAL & Carnival ships..His work is prominently displayed on all HAL's ships.

Cheers...:)Betty

I'm wondering if the folks at Carnival Corporation have considered the possiblity of swapping the Veendam with one of the small Princess ships (Pacific Princess or Ocean Princess) for the NYC to Bermuda run?

I, for one, think this is a brilliant idea!

But I'm guessing that the small passenger capacity may be an issue. A small Princes ship could certainly stagger departures with the Veendam.

Unfortunately, the Bermuda season overlaps with the most profitable European season, and there's a shortage of smaller ships to do the more unique itineraries that seasoned cruisers are looking for.

Archived