Opinions of Canada/New England cruise on Norwegian Jewel

memetoava

My husband and I are planning our 40th anniv. next Oct. and would like opinions of the Canada/New England cruise on Norwegian Jewel.

Also, will the seas be rough first part of October and will leaves be at peak?

Any suggestions on things to do or see in Halifax, St. John, Bar Harbour?

We have been on 12 cruises but always to the Carribbean - never Canada/New England. Are there enough activites inside the ship if the weather is too cold to be outside?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

We were on the NCL Spirit last year during the second week in October. We had early cold weather - it actually snowed 2 days. We did have smoothe seas. We were too early for peak color in New England and too late when we reached Canada, but timing is unpredictable. You do need to go inland to see the best color.

It is hard to tell what the weather will be like. Many of us here in the east have not had much rain and the leaves are dropping off the trees without changing color.

Bar Harbour -- Oli's Trolley -- Acadia National Park, Cadillac Mountain -- we did the 2 1/2 hour tour.

Halifax -- Hop-On-Hop-Off bus tour takes you all around -- you get off whenever you want to and just catch the next trolley when you are ready to move on -- they give you a map.

We bought the tickets right in the cruise terminal.

Which St John's?? Nova Scotia or Newfoundland?

I am not familiar with NCL ports.

Let's get this clear: it is Saint John, New Brunswick and St. John's Newfoundland. I don't live in either city or province, but I know they would like to have people get them sorted out.

In Nova Scotia, the leaves are starting to turn. They generally peak in the second to third week in October - the second week on the mainland and the third in Cape Breton. However things vary from year to year.

If you search on the Ports of Call - Canada page (look to the right of the blue horizontal bar near the top of the page) you should find out lots about each port. Be sure to look for reviews of your ship and of cruises to this area.

Can't answer about the seasons, but there is fresh lobster in Canada too.

The hop on hop off bus is good in Halifax; a lot of ppl take the Peggy's Cove excursion too. Or you can rent a car and see it on your own.

St. John New Brunswick is a small town but there is a zipline over the Reversing Falls area (yikes!) and tour to St. Martins. We walked around the town first, then got a car in the afternoon and drove to St. Martins when the tide was low and we could walk in the caves. COOL!

Have your 12 Caribbean cruises been on NCL? That would be the first thing to determine whether I'd recommend NCL for a New England/Canada cruise. Or actually, I probably still recommend you check out other cruise lines, especially Princess and Holland America.

When we took our cruise to New England and Canada, we were in port during almost every day. We only had one day at sea. There wasn't time to do anything on the ship during the days we were in port because we wanted to spend as much time in them as possible. We did all the excursions on our own except for kayaking in Bar Harbor.

Archived