Extension Cord/Power Strips

eyzwdeshut

I had no trouble packing a "power squid" in my suitcase on my July Epic cruise. I'm not sure if I violated any rules, but it certainly wasn't an issue. Quite frankly, I always take a power strip so I didn't even think about it.

power-squid-surge-protector.jpg

No. Carnival tried to ban them, but their passengers threw a hissy fit. Every line allows power strips. But the underlying reason for Carnival's ban still exists...

Simply put, the power strips outlets place a load on the ship's generators. The ships have a limited amount of power aboard and don't have the luxury of tapping a power line at sea.

Passengers power demands have gone up considerably. Many of the ships power plants, generators, and switchboards weren't designed with so many power strips and load in mind. There is a reason why most cabins have only one outlet in the cabin and/or a second one in the bath room...

Gone are the days when passengers brought only razors and hair dryers aboard a ship. Today they bring every conceivable battery chargers for video cams, digital cameras, notebooks, blackberries, iPods, cell phones, etc.

Its not that passengers wish to recharge their batteries that is the problem, its that the passengers wish to recharge all of their gadgets at the same time with more than one outlet...

Edited by Don Haynes

Read this Wiki link explaining standby power demands. Up to ten percent of most homes electricity consumption is standby power... And that is with refrigerators, freezers, hot water tanks, furnaces, and air conditioners consuming much much more.

Many of those things aren't in a cruise ship cabin. Thus the standby power load in a cruise ship cabin out of that one outlet probably approaches twice that amount if not more. We don't like to unplug our appliances. Nor do we like to unplug out battery chargers using a power strip on a cruise ship. The power strip itself is a load plugged into the cabin's outlet which during a cruise is never unplugged. We don't like to unplug power strips either...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standby_power

Edited by Don Haynes

Read this Wiki link explaining standby power demands. Up to ten percent of most homes electricity consumption is standby power... And that is with refrigerators, freezers, hot water tanks, furnaces, and air conditioners consuming much much more.

Many of those things aren't in a cruise ship cabin. Thus the standby power load in a cruise ship cabin out of that one outlet probably approaches twice that amount if not more. We don't like to unplug our appliances. Nor do we like to unplug out battery chargers using a power strip on a cruise ship. The power strip itself is a load plugged into the cabin's outlet which during a cruise is never unplugged. We don't like to unplug power strips either...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standby_power

If nothing is plugged into the power strip and the strip does not have a lighted switch, what causes the load?

If nothing is plugged into the power strip and the strip does not have a lighted switch, what causes the load?

My, the physics of electricity must be taught in high school... Obviously its not being done with so many questions. The gadget you have plugged into any circuit has juice running through it whether its turned on or not. Those gadgets have power supplies, transformers, resistors, capacitors, etc.

Weren't you ever taught in school to unplug an appliance or gadget if you were going to open the back cover of say for example a television set? Haven't you read the the instructions booklet that comes with every appliance and gadget? Have you ever plugged a screwdriver into an outlet? Juice is flowing through, and that is a load...

I posted a Wiki link to standby electricity and many still don't get it.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There are so many posts and threads about saving money with cruising. Some think $25 is too much for a laundry bag special. Never-the-less many could save that much if not more by unplugging appliances and gadgets at home not being used...

Edited by Don Haynes

NCL can supply you with an extension cord - just ask at the reception desk. You'll have to sign for it and then you keep it until the end of the cruise and return it the last night.

We had to ask for one when the extension cord we brought for DH's CPAP machine was too short. They gave us a 50 ft. heavy duty bright orange cord.

For another link of standby power, read this link from the University of California Berkeley...

http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2001/02/09_energ.html

As I said before, its not the power strips or extension cords that are the problem, its the fact we don't unplug much if any of our gadgets...

Edited by Don Haynes

My, the physics of electricity must be taught in high school... Obviously its not being done with so many questions. The gadget you have plugged into any circuit has juice running through it whether its turned on or not. Those gadgets have power supplies, transformers, resistors, capacitors, etc.

Weren't you ever taught in school to unplug an appliance or gadget if you were going to open the back cover of say for example a television set? Haven't you read the the instructions booklet that comes with every appliance and gadget? Have you ever plugged a screwdriver into an outlet? Juice is flowing through, and that is a load...

I posted a Wiki link to standby electricity and many still don't get it.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There are so many posts and threads about saving money with cruising. Some think $25 is too much for a laundry bag special. Never-the-less many could save that much if not more by unplugging appliances and gadgets at home not being used...

The PP is correct if there is a power strip without a light and there is nothing plugged into it then there is no load. The same for a standard extension cord, just plugging in an extension cord does not put a load on the circuit until that circuit is closed.

You are correct about electronics and appliances drawing power when plugged in. However, your point about the screwdriver is wrong, you can plug it into an outlet and if it is not grounded there is no "load". I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say, are you saying an open outlet is drawing a load "Juice is flowing through, and that is a load"? Because that is not true.

More and more chargers are being made green so that when there is nothing plugged into them they shut down and do not draw any power. In fact I picked up an "AT&T ZERO Charger" for my iPhone prior to our cruise last month.

The PP is correct if there is a power strip without a light and there is nothing plugged into it then there is no load. The same for a standard extension cord, just plugging in an extension cord does not put a load on the circuit until that circuit is closed.

You are correct about electronics and appliances drawing power when plugged in. However, your point about the screwdriver is wrong, you can plug it into an outlet and if it is not grounded there is no "load". I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say, are you saying an open outlet is drawing a load "Juice is flowing through, and that is a load"? Because that is not true.

More and more chargers are being made green so that when there is nothing plugged into them they shut down and do not draw any power. In fact I picked up an "AT&T ZERO Charger" for my iPhone prior to our cruise last month.

Maybe my use of the word load in your opinion is wrong, but juice is flowing through the outlet. If not why do electric clocks still run when you turn radios and microwaves off? Plus in the utility power line transmission line business electricians see a wire as a load... And if a wire presents resistance an electrical outlet presents resistance and is a load... And surely a power strip lengthens the wiring to an outlet on the strip from the wall outlet...

Furthermore a transformer is made of coiled wire... Wire is resistance... Wire is a load... When an electrician rewires your outlets and light switches, the electrician turns off the juice to the outlet or switch at the circuit breaker or fuse box...

Ohms law: E=I X R

But what is the purpose of a power strip? To provide more outlets to plug more gadgets into at the same time. How many of us use a power strip without anything plugged in? The only power strips I see without anything plugged in are sitting on store shelves or hanging on store peg hooks...

Edited by Don Haynes

No. Carnival tried to ban them, but their passengers threw a hissy fit. Every line allows power strips. But the underlying reason for Carnival's ban still exists...

Simply put, the power strips outlets place a load on the ship's generators. The ships have a limited amount of power aboard and don't have the luxury of tapping a power line at sea.

Passengers power demands have gone up considerably. Many of the ships power plants, generators, and switchboards weren't designed with so many power strips and load in mind. There is a reason why most cabins have only one outlet in the cabin and/or a second one in the bath room...

Gone are the days when passengers brought only razors and hair dryers aboard a ship. Today they bring every conceivable battery chargers for video cams, digital cameras, notebooks, blackberries, iPods, cell phones, etc.

Its not that passengers wish to recharge their batteries that is the problem, its that the passengers wish to recharge all of their gadgets at the same time with more than one outlet...

Thank you for clearing that up. I am not an idiot but never really thought it all the way through. We have PDAs, Phones, a FLIP, iPods, camera etc and we'll just be sure to stagger the charge times. The thing we don't have is curling irons and things to make us look better in the pictures :rolleyes:

Thank you for clearing that up. I am not an idiot but never really thought it all the way through. We have PDAs, Phones, a FLIP, iPods, camera etc and we'll just be sure to stagger the charge times. The thing we don't have is curling irons and things to make us look better in the pictures :rolleyes:

Thanks for the thanks. Standby power wastage has increased significantly in an era of higher energy costs and electric bills. While we all have power strips by our computers at home, not many of us have power strips in every outlet in our homes. All I am attempting to get across is its getting that way on cruise ships which have limited electricity production, especially on the older ships...

As to needing an extension cord for important stuff like a CPAP, I just do not understand why somebody would travel without one.

After all,

they could be out of them at the reception desk.

You could get stranded somewhere with no options

They weight almost nothing

They take no room'

Maybe my use of the word load in your opinion is wrong, but juice is flowing through the outlet. If not why do electric clocks still run when you turn radios and microwaves off? Plus in the utility power line transmission line business electricians see a wire as a load... And if a wire presents resistance an electrical outlet presents resistance and is a load... And surely a power strip lengthens the wiring to an outlet on the strip from the wall outlet...

Furthermore a transformer is made of coiled wire... Wire is resistance... Wire is a load... When an electrician rewires your outlets and light switches, the electrician turns off the juice to the outlet or switch at the circuit breaker or fuse box...

Ohms law: E=I X R

But what is the purpose of a power strip? To provide more outlets to plug more gadgets into at the same time. How many of us use a power strip without anything plugged in? The only power strips I see without anything plugged in are sitting on store shelves or hanging on store peg hooks...

The PP you quoted asked: "If nothing is plugged into the power strip and the strip does not have a lighted switch, what causes the load?", and I was referencing your answer to him. Yes I mistook your use of "load" as the power consumed by a circuit because that was how I read your post and I contend that the PP you quoted also meant it this way. But again "juice" does not flow through a circuit until that circuit is closed, so yes when a clock is plugged in that circuit is then closed. When an electrician works on an outlet he turns of the "juice" because if he is grounded he will complete the circuit, af he was not grounded he could touch the hot side of the circuit all day long, that is why you can watch a squirrel run across a "live" power line (now if that squirrel touches a ground then it is toast). If you unplug or disconnected everything in your house your electric meter would stop running, just having wiring and outlets does not add resistance until that circuit is closed. A standard transformer plugged in does draw power I am not disputing that but I stand by my statements that there is no "juice" flowing until you close that circuit, and there are more and more "smart" chargers that are able to shut down when they are not charging anything.

Edited by darrengs

My hubby has a cp machine. How long a cord do we need to bring? We are in an aft balcony. Will this cabin make a difference?

Louise in FLA:)

We take a 12 ft. cord and it's been adequate when we've had balconies. However, when we were in an ADA room, it was way too short. That's when we had to ask at reception for a longer cord.

Enjoy your cruise!

Darrengs is correct, Don. In answer to the question PP posed, a power strip with nothing plugged in (and no light) would draw no power. The real grinch is transformers, which are in so many electrical items (rechargers, for example) and draw power whether or not they are in use. A separate problem is items designed to "stay warm" for one reason or another and therefore draw power even when they are nominally "off". Printers, for example, which might want to keep some ink device warm, appliances which want to avoid a warming-up period, etc.

As far as opening the rear of a TV, there are two separate dangers. Obviously, if it is still plugged in, you could accidentally touch a live connection. However, even unplugged there is the problem of charged capacitors (which may stay charged for many hours after being disconnected). While they draw no power (once they are charged), they sit there like time bombs, ready to discharge their entire load into any human who happens to come in contact with them.

Bill

Darrengs is correct, Don. In answer to the question PP posed, a power strip with nothing plugged in (and no light) would draw no power. The real grinch is transformers, which are in so many electrical items (rechargers, for example) and draw power whether or not they are in use. A separate problem is items designed to "stay warm" for one reason or another and therefore draw power even when they are nominally "off". Printers, for example, which might want to keep some ink device warm, appliances which want to avoid a warming-up period, etc.

As far as opening the rear of a TV, there are two separate dangers. Obviously, if it is still plugged in, you could accidentally touch a live connection. However, even unplugged there is the problem of charged capacitors (which may stay charged for many hours after being disconnected). While they draw no power (once they are charged), they sit there like time bombs, ready to discharge their entire load into any human who happens to come in contact with them.

Bill

Obviously an electrician and a electronics technician have different views. But have you ever seen anyone use a power strip without something plugged into it? And have you seen many unplug a power strip when not in use? Case closed...

Honestly I feel this whole power strips are evil argument is a load.:D

Hey, good to see someone gets it. :D

Obviously an electrician and a electronics technician have different views. But have you ever seen anyone use a power strip without something plugged into it? And have you seen many unplug a power strip when not in use? Case closed...

A power strip/extension cord is nothing but a few extra outlets wired together. No current flows unless there is something that closes the circuit. I keep a powerstrip plugged in the whole time we are on a cruise, but only plug something into it when the device is needed. So it is plugged in but not in use . . . exactly the same amount of electricity flows in that state as would flow if I unplugged the power strip . . . Zero!

And don't forget to ground that capacitor before you insert finger!

Not quite closed. I have several power strips at home with items plugged in which are off when they are "off", so to speak. These draw no power. (Well, they have led lights, but the power those draw is really negligible) On the other hand, you are probably right about their use on ships; most passengers will leave chargers on them (although CPT seems to be an exception). I'm not quite sure what you see as the difference between electricians and electronics technicians, though. They both depend upon the same physics.

Bill

Not quite closed. I have several power strips at home with items plugged in which are off when they are "off", so to speak. These draw no power. (Well, they have led lights, but the power those draw is really negligible) On the other hand, you are probably right about their use on ships; most passengers will leave chargers on them (although CPT seems to be an exception). I'm not quite sure what you see as the difference between electricians and electronics technicians, though. They both depend upon the same physics.

Bill

Just little "vampires." :D

I fully subscribe to Murphy's Law . . . that's why I unplug. ;)

There was NO outlet anywhere near the table by the head of the bed. Asked for one at desk and were told would need to return night before docking. Also were asked to give $ for a deposit. Don't remember amt. Needed the power so we did but called Mr. 8888 the hotel director about the return time and were helped. I love NCL but we are taking our own cord. Don't rember how long but more than 8. For those of us in menopause the fan is as important as the cpap my husband uses

• 4 years later...