IPad

jackjoyus

Can anyone tell me if the IPad works on the ships, or do I have to pay like we do for the internet?? I wouldn't think so because you can have your books on it!1:confused::confused:

If you are using your Ipad to access the ships internet, you will pay for it.

You can read your books on the iPad as they are already loaded. However, to access the Internet or download more books, you would need to purchase Internet minutes.

I took my iPad on my 16-day Crown cruise earlier this month and had terrible connection problems. The IT person said that he had seen nothing but problems with the iPad and iPhone accessing the Internet. According to him, it has something to do with the way the Apple system processes WiFi. I could connect to the ship's WiFi and log in, but as soon as I logged in, I'd lose the WiFi connection. Out of 16 days, I was able to use my iPad only four times. I even tried using it in the Atrium and Internet Cafe. No better luck. Other people have said they didn't have problems. The IT guy said it seemed to work only when there was a strong WiFi signal.

It's possible that Apple has updated their software. My iPad was using v. 3.2. Perhaps someone who has used theirs successfully can chime in here.

I took my iPad on my 16-day Crown cruise earlier this month and had terrible connection problems. The IT person said that he had seen nothing but problems with the iPad and iPhone accessing the Internet.

Sorry to hear of your problems using your iPad on the Crown, Pam.

I've had great success using my iPhone on our past three cruises. I use it mostly in my cabin surfing, downloading/uploading email and making calls using Skype. I wonder if there are some wifi parameters that need to be adjusted on your iPad. Are you using a VPN? That can slow things down quite a bit...even in my home.

We're not taking our iPad on our TA next week, but will next February. Hope we don't run into any problems.

Version 3.2.2 is the latest firmware version. An upgrade to v 4+ is due for sometime in November.

Lew

I haven't taken my iPad on a cruise yet so I'm very interested to hear others experiences (good or bad) whilst aboard ship.

I did spend over a week in Florida connecting to various WiFi networks with no problems.

I'm hoping we'll have some more data on how well the iPads work onboard Princess ships before my cruise in January.

I took my iPad on my 16-day Crown cruise earlier this month and had terrible connection problems. The IT person said that he had seen nothing but problems with the iPad and iPhone accessing the Internet. According to him, it has something to do with the way the Apple system processes WiFi. I could connect to the ship's WiFi and log in, but as soon as I logged in, I'd lose the WiFi connection. Out of 16 days, I was able to use my iPad only four times. I even tried using it in the Atrium and Internet Cafe. No better luck. Other people have said they didn't have problems. The IT guy said it seemed to work only when there was a strong WiFi signal.

It's possible that Apple has updated their software. My iPad was using v. 3.2. Perhaps someone who has used theirs successfully can chime in here.

Pam, we used our iPads in June on the Ocean Princess without a problem (other than there was no signal in our cabin). Personally I think the IT guy was blowing smoke to avoid tracking down the real problem, but that's just my opinion. ;)

Sorry to hear of your problems using your iPad on the Crown, Pam.

I've had great success using my iPhone on our past three cruises. I use it mostly in my cabin surfing, downloading/uploading email and making calls using Skype. I wonder if there are some wifi parameters that need to be adjusted on your iPad. Are you using a VPN? That can slow things down quite a bit...even in my home.

We're not taking our iPad on our TA next week, but will next February. Hope we don't run into any problems.

Version 3.2.2 is the latest firmware version. An upgrade to v 4+ is due for sometime in November.

Lew

Yes, the November upgrade should take the iPad to v4.2. We've taken our iPhones and now iPads on a few cruises without problems with the ship's internet.

To save power, the iPad does use a signal management system that can cause some problems when the wifi signal is excessively weak, but with a clear signal you should not have any problems. One trick to try if you have the 3G version is disable the 3G service, it may be trying to jump from WiFi to the ship cell service.

Don't forget to log off when not actively using the connection, or you'll soon clock up an enormous bill.
After losing my WiFi, I'd try to reconnect and it would tell me to re-log in. It actually wasn't a problem. The WiFi signal would go from "very strong" to suddenly no signal in an instant.

To save power, the iPad does use a signal management system that can cause some problems when the wifi signal is excessively weak, but with a clear signal you should not have any problems. One trick to try if you have the 3G version is disable the 3G service, it may be trying to jump from WiFi to the ship cell service.
My iPad is just the WiFi so there wasn't that issue. And, it showed the signal to be strong. Go figure.

I'm taking both my iPad and netbook on my January cruise since I'm driving, and will see if it works better on the Sapphire.

I haven't taken my iPad on a cruise yet so I'm very interested to hear others experiences (good or bad) whilst aboard ship.

I'm hoping we'll have some more data on how well the iPads work onboard Princess ships before my cruise in January.

We're embarking on Sapphire Princess in about three weeks, so we're even more eager to hear how people have fared! Looking forward to responses, favorable or un-.

Ipad or laptop will have similar cost for stuff where you use the internet.

As long as you have power and applications on the iPad it will work on the ship just like it does at home. Connecting to the internet is another matter entirely. If there are connection problems that will reside in user / equipment configuration setup.

Can anyone tell me if the IPad works on the ships, or do I have to pay like we do for the internet?? I wouldn't think so because you can have your books on it!1:confused::confused:

I took my iPad on my 16-day Crown cruise earlier this month and had terrible connection problems.

Do a google search for "iPad wifi problems" and you'll get many hits. If I remember correctly the problems happened more on some networks than others. For example, your iPad probably works just fine on your home WiFi network. There will be a huge update to iOS 4.2 in November.

Do a google search for "iPad wifi problems" and you'll get many hits. If I remember correctly the problems happened more on some networks than others. For example, your iPad probably works just fine on your home WiFi network. There will be a huge update to iOS 4.2 in November.
It works fine at home; my daughter has used it in her home as well with no connection problems. I'm looking forward to the update. I love having the folders on my iPhone. :)

It works fine at home; my daughter has used it in her home as well with no connection problems. I'm looking forward to the update. I love having the folders on my iPhone. :)

While folders is a nice addition, I've been having more fun with the HDR photo option. It almost always makes the pictures much better.

I am on the Golden Princess and using the Ipad in my room while in port but now we have sailed from San Pedro so we will see if my 3G works.
That'll be interesting because you'll need to connect to the ship's cellular system which, I believe, is $2.49/minute. Might wind up being an expensive way to connect to the Internet.

Um, the wireless minutes (ship wi-fi) have no bearing on 3G usage. 3G usage will only be reflected on your cell bill (the only way you will have of knowing you are in roaming is the roam indicator).

If you used the ships wi-fi while asea, there should be no charge.

i am taking my Ipad, mac book pro, and iphone on the Emerald in 2 weeks. I have both 3G and wifi on the the ipad. I will let you know if I encounter any problems, although I don't plan on using the 3G and will use the mac book for all wi fi connections. But I will test the ipad wifi connection and see if it works. We are on Aloha exactly mid-ship.:cool:

I'm taking both my iPad and netbook on my January cruise since I'm driving, and will see if it works better on the Sapphire.

Hi Pam,

When you get back from your January (Mexico?) cruise, I would love to hear your comments re: iPad use on the Sapphire, as we are planning to take it instead of our laptop on our 28 day South Pacific cruise on the Sapphire in Oct. 2011.

Diane

Um, the wireless minutes (ship wi-fi) have no bearing on 3G usage. 3G usage will only be reflected on your cell bill (the only way you will have of knowing you are in roaming is the roam indicator).

If you used the ships wi-fi while asea, there should be no charge.

I guess I was not clear. I have unlimited minutes on the 3G and 250 minutes free with Princess so I am spending nothing unless I go over my Princess minutes I have the unlimited plan with AT &T.

Your 3G plan only includes Domestic roaming (unless you have something different than the standard AT+T package or you purchased international data packages). Princess uses a cell based service that is considered international usage and is not unlimited. If you are picking up US based cell coverage then you will not be charged.

From the ATT website:

International data roaming can get expensive quickly.

For example, opening an email with a 5 megapixel picture in it, or downloading a 3-minute video on YouTube, each takes about 2 MB of data. The cost would be almost $40, based on pay-per-use international data rates of $0.0195/KB.

Full article: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/iphone-travel-tips.jsp (its for the iPhone but iPad is same data plan)

I guess I was not clear. I have unlimited minutes on the 3G and 250 minutes free with Princess so I am spending nothing unless I go over my Princess minutes I have the unlimited plan with AT &T.

I'm taking both my iPad and netbook on my January cruise since I'm driving, and will see if it works better on the Sapphire. When you get back from your January (Mexico?) cruise, I would love to hear your comments re: iPad use on the Sapphire, as we are planning to take it instead of our laptop on our 28 day South Pacific cruise on the Sapphire in Oct. 2011.
I sure will. :)

Archived