how many pieces of luggage

sailoruk

If it's just DH and I and we are going somewhere warm we take our 29 inch TravelPro Suiter, our 28 inch Ricardo Suiter and our extra-large LL Bean rolling duffle bag.

If we are going some where cold we usually have to also bring our TravelPro rolling garment bag as the clothes are heavier and take up more room.

We also each have a carry-on.

These are for cruises 11+ days. I can't remember last time we took a 7 night cruise. Oh wait - it was July 2005 to Alaska, but then we had a 3 day land tour and our son was with us, so we had a ton of luggage, but that was before all this horrible luggage business with the airlines.

Two women.... we both took two large (and i do mean large) suitcases plus carryon for 7 nights. We are over this. This cruise we will each take one large one and a carry on. Hoping for the best. The key here is that we are going to use the laundry service that we have not used before.

Let's see.... 14 days on Connie in the PH for 4 ladies. We're currently at 4 28" hardsiders; 8 20" square hardsiders; and some assorted carryons. (Let me make you laugh: ALL of that luggage is MINE.)

There will probably be more; I don't wear an evening outfit more than once, and with all of that room to spread out in, I bring whatever I want to.

Besides that, we're driving from Texas to FLL. I could NEVER fly to a US cruiseport....:eek:

I used to take lots of unnecessary stuff. You know the "just in case." stuff that you might want. I've gotten smarter with the years. Less stuff means less to carry or wheel(heavu bags are still heavy even on wheels), less to lose (the airlines and the cruise lines have lost/misplaced my bags many times), and fewer decisions about what to wear on the cruise(make your decisions at home...plan your outfits carefully...take only clothes that wash and dry quickly or use the laundry). I learned to travel light after Delta lost my luggage for 10 days while on a 2 week cruise. I survived nicely on the stuff in my carry-on...and have been doing that ever since. I carry on and feel secure that I cannot be separated from my clothes. If you must pack in a checked suitcase, take only stuff that you will not miss if the airlines/cruise lines lose or damage it. Relax and enjoy. Also, take old clothes and toss them toward the end of the cruise...makes space for souvenirs and also cuts down on the laundry.

I used to take lots of unnecessary stuff. You know the "just in case." stuff that you might want. I've gotten smarter with the years. Less stuff means less to carry or wheel(heavu bags are still heavy even on wheels), less to lose (the airlines and the cruise lines have lost/misplaced my bags many times), and fewer decisions about what to wear on the cruise(make your decisions at home...plan your outfits carefully...take only clothes that wash and dry quickly or use the laundry). I learned to travel light after Delta lost my luggage for 10 days while on a 2 week cruise. I survived nicely on the stuff in my carry-on...and have been doing that ever since. I carry on and feel secure that I cannot be separated from my clothes. If you must pack in a checked suitcase, take only stuff that you will not miss if the airlines/cruise lines lose or damage it. Relax and enjoy. Also, take old clothes and toss them toward the end of the cruise...makes space for souvenirs and also cuts down on the laundry.

I have a fabulous time with all of my stuff close at hand. When I was working, we looked like mirror images of each other. So when I cruise, I wear the clothes I don't wear when at home. And I love it.

Some folks can survive on very little; not me. Your way fits you; my way fits me. Neither way is THE way.

Just curious, for those who don't fly to catch a cruise, how many pieces of luggage do you take;)

Same as when flying.....one large bag per person and sometimes one rollaboard to share. And, of course, a rolling computer backpack (the backpack rolls....not the computer :D) each. But we take our pillows, so that takes up some extra space in each suitcase......

Same as when flying.....one large bag per person and sometimes one rollaboard to share. And, of course, a rolling computer backpack (the backpack rolls....not the computer :D) each. But we take our pillows, so that takes up some extra space in each suitcase......

Have you tried those space bags that you can "roll" the air out of? That is how I take my 2 pillows with me. I can flatten those suckers way way down.

Have you tried those space bags that you can "roll" the air out of? That is how I take my 2 pillows with me. I can flatten those suckers way way down.

Yes, but they always seem to leak.....I must be doing something incorrectly. I stuff the pillows into the zippered compartments that are attached to the inside of the suitcase's lid. That seems to work pretty well. The pillows are squished upon arrival, but they puff up immediately upon "release"....

We take the same as we take when we fly: one suitcase and a small carry-on each. The number of suitcases is more for convenience's sake - we want to be able to handle everything ourselves, if necessary.

I will admit that there is more temptation to pack an extra this or that "just in case" when we are leaving from home, however. But, it's fine because it doesn't matter if the luggage is overweight then - coming or going!

There must be something wrong with me because I can never get my space bags to work. Some of the air comes out, but not all and they never get totally flat.

On our very first cruise, about 20 years ago, we drove to the port. There were four of us in an inside cabin and we EACH had two large bags and a large carry-on!

Can't say we are smarter now, just more experienced and tired of lugging luggage. (The Latin word for baggage is impedimenta....;)) One medium to large rolling suitcase and one carry on each. In a cabin for TWO. We don't want to spend our vacation worrying about our gear. Laundry service aboard Celebrity is just great, and our choice is not to dine in the MDR at all. We love the "Casual Dining" on the Mercury and the M Class ships.

So there are other folks who choose differently. Thank goodness for variety!

Like an earlier poster, I also make sure that my carry-on contains everything I need in case the big bag gets lost - not a real worry when we drive to the port, but you never know.

One last advantage to less and lighter luggage is the option to carry all your luggage off the ship, being among the first to debark. We have not done this, and don't intend to, but some folks love this option.

Bon Voyage, everyone!

Let's see.... 14 days on Connie in the PH for 4 ladies. We're currently at 4 28" hardsiders; 8 20" square hardsiders; and some assorted carryons. (Let me make you laugh: ALL of that luggage is MINE.)

There will probably be more; I don't wear an evening outfit more than once, and with all of that room to spread out in, I bring whatever I want to.[/quote]

Are you saying that you actually WEAR all of those clothes? Is this why you choose to drive 1000 or so miles instead of flying to the port? Our group of 4 is leaving tomorrow for a 19 day trip and you have more luggage that the 4 of us combined (literally). Wow...

We went to Europe for two months earlier this year. We each took one large suitcase and carried a backpack on board to use for side trips. We came home having not used over HALF of what we brought!!

For instance, we took a 5 night 'side trip' to Rome on the train. I was astonished to find that I could carry everything I needed for 5 days, including a book and my laptop, in my backpack. Extra pair of shoes, two pairs of pants, 5 shirts, nightie, lingerie and toiletries--all in there. I will NEVER travel with too much 'junk' again!!

This is me walking to Termini in the rain:

IMG_0770-1.jpg.1220c956ea8c03d1b337f114ee78ed64.jpg

It's not a matter of how many bags. It's how many tons of ballast they have to move to the other side of the ship to counterbalance the War Department's (a.k.a Mrs. B.) luggage.

Like many of the fairer sex she NEVER leaves home without it - whatever it is. First, there is her collection of undrilled designer bowling balls. Then there is the collection of custom engraved manhole covers as well as the matching set of 1930's era art deco cement mixers. Bear in mind we haven't gotten to the hats, bonnets, caps, scarves, clothes, make up, shoes, football cleats and so forth.

I tell you it's a modern miracle that the ship can make it from one port to another so heavily loaded.

Y'all have a great day out there.

:D:D:D

This is photograph of our luggage as we set off from home for our first cruise. From memory, we had 17 pieces of luggage because we were so pleased not to be flying. However, our expectations of a porter coming to our car with an hotel-style trolley and walking with us onto the ship and to our stateroom were so far from the truth and vintage leather luggage could not stand up to the rigours of cruise ship baggage handling. Having said that, we had a CC stateroom on Constellation and had no trouble stashing the empty cases and their contents for the whole cruise!

We still do not travel light by the standards of others but we learned a great deal from that first cruise.

Sue

92492959_Day00-Luggage2.jpg.7023d2e640b87e7da83931bc5b909f31.jpg

Archived