Things I wonder about the Marina

JimandStan

This is the information I just received directly from Oceania....

As you can see from the blueprint attached, there is an accessible deck that is reached via the doors at the end of the port and stbd passenger companionways. The deck is a slender section in the very aft center of the ship. There are solid steel bulkheads to either side of that, so the verandas for PHs 7130 and 7135 are private.

The fore/aft bulkheads on the verandas of 7130 and 7135 are windbreaks to keep the wind from whipping around the corner and disturbing the guests.

Shari

Sharicruz6

Has there been a change to what you wrote about passenger access on Deck 7 (views for anyone who wishes to go back there) as opposed to the verandas of 7130 and 7135 being private for just those occupants?

The information I got late last year is the same as you posted, that 7130 and 7135 do not get exclusive use of that area, yet others are now posting they were told that they will get to use those balconies exclusively.

Could you please check with your sources? Thank you.

I was told that passengers will have access to the deck area in the aft on deck 7. There will be a doorway at the end of the hall for access.

Shari

Sharicruz6

This is the other post you made related to the stern of Deck 7, and I am reposting it to combine with the other post I just made, above.

This is the other post you made related to the stern of Deck 7, and I am reposting it to combine with the other post I just made, above.

Honestly, I can't see any point in extending those hallways (on Deck 7 and deck 11) all the way to the stern if there IS NOT going to be access.

202531.jpg144610.jpg

This is the information I just received directly from Oceania....

As you can see from the blueprint attached, there is an accessible deck that is reached via the doors at the end of the port and stbd passenger companionways. The deck is a slender section in the very aft center of the ship. There are solid steel bulkheads to either side of that, so the verandas for PHs 7130 and 7135 are private.

The fore/aft bulkheads on the verandas of 7130 and 7135 are windbreaks to keep the wind from whipping around the corner and disturbing the guests.

Shari

Sharicruz6

We'll soon find out for sure.

I have one of those cabins on the March TA, and whatever the balcony is like, I'm sure it will be wonderful.

We'll soon find out for sure.

I have one of those cabins on the March TA, and whatever the balcony is like, I'm sure it will be wonderful.

I'm also booked into one of them, but on the Inaugural Passage. I'll be sure to post "the real deal" from the ship. :D

We do......the four cabins in question are 7130, 7135, 11080 and 11083.

We're in 11083

I do not think Deck 11 will have a problem with interlopers but deck 7 is another story

Marion are you going to check things out :confused:

I am sure someone will post after the Maiden voyage

Lyn

In looking over Marinas' deck plans, I've had difficulty in deciphering some of the details, and thought it might be fun to ask the opinions of the group:

For example, do you suppose that passengers will have access to the deck area at the back of the ship on Deck 7?

151539.jpg

How do you see it, or, what has you scratching your head about the new ship.......?

Those are verandas for guests staying in those aft staterooms. (Not a general deck area). There is no access to other guests to those private verandas on deck 7.

Exactly which cruise line, ship or brand will Marina be competing against? I can't quite figure out where belongs in the scheme of things. In many ways it reminds me of a downsized but upscale Celebrity Solstice. In that regard it would appear to seeking Celebrity regulars who want to move upmarket.

Exactly which cruise line, ship or brand will Marina be competing against? I can't quite figure out where belongs in the scheme of things. In many ways it reminds me of a downsized but upscale Celebrity Solstice. In that regard it would appear to seeking Celebrity regulars who want to move upmarket.

Ah, you've just put a finger on the reason for Oceania's success. They've never really competed against anyone --Frank Del Rio just put together the cruise line that he liked, different than any of the others, and it turned out that a lot of others liked it, too.

The same thing is true of Marina -- this is his dream, his baby. It's been in the works since 2005 and was no doubt conceived long before that -- which is amazing, when you consider that Oceania itself was started in 2002 and didn't start to sail in earnest until 2003.Certainly, what Oceania did with the three "R" ships is unique -- none of the other cruise lines with the same ships (there were 8 of them built by Renaissance) achieved anything like Oceania -- until Azamara came along, created by Celebrity to be as close to an exact copy of Oceania as possible, and not really successful until they gave up on copying and started to do their own thing.

Marina is like no other ship -- as Oceania is like no other cruise line -- and will be following the same theme: put it out there and see what happens. The idea is that it's a fabulous ship, almost irresistible to anyone with taste.

Excellent points, Don. My husband has been resisting travel of late. I book a cruise and sometimes we take it (usually we take it) but sometimes he fusses and so I cancel.

We are booked on Marina for the Jewels of the Aegean in September. I wasn't sure if we would take it or not -- this particularly cruise has been booked three times now and we have yet to really take it! I'm not really wild to do the Greek Islands again but OTOH we last did them on Ren when there were only three ports. So we really haven't seen the islands.

We did have 3 days in Athens and 3 days in Istanbul, plus a week's travel through Turkey in 2000 after our last Ren Cruise.

And we would like to return to Istanbul and Dubrovnik, and after 40 years I think it's time for both of us to see Venice again!

But I was talking to Howard about the recent food announcements and he said to me yesterday, being a foodie himself, "I guess there's no way we're NOT going to take this cruise." (I was sure Jacque's apple tart with hazelnut cream would get him if the carmelized prawns didn't.)

What I didn't say to him was -- we might not take THIS cruise ... if I find an itinerary I like better on Marina! I do want to try out Marina ...

ButI think for now, we'll stick with this one. How can you book an itinerary three times and NOT take it?

Mura

Those are verandas for guests staying in those aft staterooms. (Not a general deck area). There is no access to other guests to those private verandas on deck 7.

I'm sure that you're wrong about that. There is no way that that entire stern area would be divided into verandahs for two Penthouse 3's.

202531.jpgDon't forget that the ship is 105 feet wide

203403.jpgThe picture is a little grainy at this resolution, but this shows how the full width bow transitions into the narrower superstructure.

We're in Cabin 7000 when we sail on Marina early 2012; in the photo you posted here, looks like one side of our (larger!) balcony is in a corner...if I'm looking at Deck 7!

What do you think?

Thanks!

I'm sure that you're wrong about that. There is no way that that entire stern area would be divided into verandahs for two Penthouse 3's.

202531.jpgDon't forget that the ship is 105 feet wide

I hope you are right, S&J. I'd like to see everyone get the chance to go back there and take some unobstructed wake photos, though I would hope there is a small buffer so that the occupants of those PH's don't get people peeking around at their balconies.

We were offered one of those PH's and passed on it based solely on the assurance by several who should know that no part of the verandah faced aft.

Originally Posted by anthony1979:

"Those are verandas for guests staying in those aft staterooms. (Not a general deck area). There is no access to other guests to those private verandas on deck 7."

I hope you are right, S&J. I'd like to see everyone get the chance to go back there and take some unobstructed wake photos, though I would hope there is a small buffer so that the occupants of those PH's don't get people peeking around at their balconies.

We were offered one of those PH's and passed on it based solely on the assurance by several who should know that no part of the verandah faced aft.

We never said that "no portion of the verandah" for 7130 and 7135 would face aft. We do feel confident, however, that those cabins won't split the entire stern of the ship between them.

We're in Cabin 7000 when we sail on Marina early 2012; in the photo you posted here, looks like one side of our (larger!) balcony is in a corner...if I'm looking at Deck 7!

What do you think

Yes, I believe that you are correct about that. Although the verandah for 7000 is much deeper than most, the forward side is in a corner near the officers quarters.

051739.jpg

But that fact was made fairly obvious by the deck plan, don't you think?

In any case, we'll be on the ship as of the 5th, and intend to investigate thoroughly!

In any case, we'll be on the ship as of the 5th, and intend to investigate thoroughly!

Stan and Jim, a favor if you could.. Have a look at an aft Oceania Suite to see how it compares with the OS on the Regatta and Nautica both in size and in balcony space. They look great to us but, what do we know? Have a fabulous cruise and thanks!:D

Stan and Jim, a favor if you could.. Have a look at an aft Oceania Suite to see how it compares with the OS on the Regatta and Nautica both in size and in balcony space. They look great to us but, what do we know? Have a fabulous cruise and thanks!:D

We're in 11083 for the Inaugural Passage, so it wont be any trouble at all to compare and contrast.

As you know, we're usually Vista guys, but the Media Room swayed us!

Archived