Breathe...just breathe..overpacking? no way

BarleyJack

Just a venting post, please forgive/humor me.

I am so use to planning Disney vacations. ADRs, resorts, garden grocer, travel, etc etc etc...I'm trying to not be as "obsessed" with the whole thing. Disney requires planning, and I'm use to that, and am glad that I found this site, but after reading I think I may be over packing/over reacting.

I've read and read. *Tried* not to get all worked up. I packed a week ago. Read more, including posts that say "pack and take half out".

So I did.

But now I'm thinking. Mornings/days in port=swim wear, cover ups; return to ship and put on shorts/t shirts; dress again for dinner: nice shorts/jeans/khakis/collared shirts (except elegant night, got that).

That is 3 changes in one day.

Ugh.

I have packed 2 swimtrunks. 4 pair shorts. 6-7 T shirts. 4 polo type pullover shirts, 4 button down casual shirts; 2 pr jeans; one pair khakis; one pair dress pants; tie; belts (casual and dress); dress shoes; sneakers; water shoes; sandals; casual leather shoes (for jeans/khakis); underwear; socks (both gym and dress); 2 hats (baseball caps). Umbrella. Toiletries. One sweater vest. One windbreaker/rain jacket. a hoodie. Sleeping pants/pajamas; ziplock bags; collapsable laundry hamper; laundry soap/softener/quarters; downloaded books to kindle; camera/memory card/charger; passport. Sunscreen. Bug Spray. Copies of all documents (flight, hotel, insurance, passports, DLs). Planning on doing laundry if needed.

I have a Bon Voyage order but no invoice (room decoration, basket, towels, cake...etc).. Should/can I get one?

Am I over doing it? Underdoing it? First time cruiser....want to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Thanks for your kind responses. Really need a nice vacation after the awful flooding here in Nashille. Its been a bad year.

4 days to our first cruise on the Legend, aft wrap sahweet!!!

-BJ

On my cruise last October I forgot all my shorts and t-shirts. I wore a couple of my kids things. For now on, I take one swim suite, one cover up, a couple pair of shorts and some t shirts. That is for the day. I take a different outfit for each night with about 100 pairs of shoes. LOL You really do not need that much.

I would lose the jeans, the casual /leather shoes, the umbrella, swater vest, windbreaker and hoodie, along with laundry hamper, and the laundry supplies.

I would also add 2 T-Shirts, and another pair of kakahis and you are good to go.

I have packed:

2 swimtrunks. good idea!

4 pair shorts. take only 2 pairs - nobody will know the difference

6-7 T shirts. take only 4 - nobody will know the difference

4 polo type pullover shirts, take only 2 - nobody will know the difference

4 button down casual shirts; one, maybe two will suffice. wear only for cruise elegant night

2 pr jeans; will only need 1 pair

one pair khakis; good

one pair dress pants; good

tie; belts (casual and dress); use the same belt and ties for casual/dress

dress shoes; good

sneakers; you will only need one pair

water shoes; don't bother - use sandals or tivas

sandals; take either water shoes or these - not both

casual leather shoes (for jeans/khakis);wear tiva's instead

underwear; socks (both gym and dress); take 4 pairs each and plan to wash in sink/dry on balcony

2 hats (baseball caps). you will only need one basball cap

Umbrella. not necessary - if it rains it will only be for a few minutes

Toiletries.

One sweater vest. you won't be needing this at all!

One windbreaker/rain jacket. you won't be needing this - it will be HOT in the caribbean

a hoodie. no need for hoodie

Sleeping pants/pajamas; not necessary unless your SO enjoys keeping the room at a low temp

ziplock bags; good idea to bring both quart and gallon sized

collapsable laundry hamper; no need - use a plastic bag from The Gap or any other type of store

laundry soap/softener/quarters; use your shampoo for laundry soap and take a couple of dryer sheets; guest services will have quarters for you

downloaded books to kindle; a good choice!

camera/memory card/charger; good choice!

passport. YAY!

Sunscreen. bring 2 extra bottles just in case...

Bug Spray. not needed unless you are going to a rain forest for one of your excursions.

Copies of all documents (flight, hotel, insurance, passports, DLs). definitely good idea and keep it with you at all times.

Planning on doing laundry if needed. Fourth/fifth day of the cruise will be the $15.00 special - fill the paper bag in your cabin with as much laundry as you can (sometimes that will come out to be 5 bags!), and only pay $15.00. Do your laundry then.

I have a Bon Voyage order but no invoice (room decoration, basket, towels, cake...etc).. Should/can I get one?You will not see an invoice for those items - you will have two beach towels in your room that your Room Steward will change out if they get wet, don't really need the fruit basket as you can get all the fruit at the Buffet, room decorations are kinda cheesy onboard - you would have been better off hanging your own decorations.

Am I over doing it? Underdoing it? First time cruiser....want to make sure everything goes smoothly. Yep, definitely overdoing it, but you will learn quickly!

Thanks for your kind responses. Really need a nice vacation after the awful flooding here in Nashille. Its been a bad year.

-BJ

Sorry about being affected by the flooding - you will absolutely enjoy your Aft Wrap! Have an awesome cruise and make sure to post a review when you return!

I am so use to planning Disney vacations. ADRs, resorts, garden grocer, travel, etc etc etc...I'm trying to not be as "obsessed" with the whole thing. Disney requires planning, and I'm use to that, and am glad that I found this site, but after reading I think I may be over packing/over reacting.

I've read and read. *Tried* not to get all worked up. I packed a week ago. Read more, including posts that say "pack and take half out".

So I did.

But now I'm thinking. Mornings/days in port=swim wear, cover ups; return to ship and put on shorts/t shirts; dress again for dinner: nice shorts/jeans/khakis/collared shirts (except elegant night, got that).

Ugh.

I have packed 2 swimtrunks. 4 pair shorts. 6-7 T shirts. 4 polo type pullover shirts, 4 button down casual shirts; 2 pr jeans; one pair khakis; one pair dress pants; tie; belts (casual and dress); dress shoes; sneakers; water shoes; sandals; casual leather shoes (for jeans/khakis); underwear; socks (both gym and dress); 2 hats (baseball caps). Umbrella. Toiletries. One sweater vest. One windbreaker/rain jacket. a hoodie. Sleeping pants/pajamas; ziplock bags; collapsable laundry hamper; laundry soap/softener/quarters; downloaded books to kindle; camera/memory card/charger; passport. Sunscreen. Bug Spray. Copies of all documents (flight, hotel, insurance, passports, DLs). Planning on doing laundry if needed.

I have a Bon Voyage order but no invoice (room decoration, basket, towels, cake...etc).. Should/can I get one?

Am I over doing it? Underdoing it? First time cruiser....want to make sure everything goes smoothly.

-BJ

Sounds like a lot of footwear. Might be able to do with one less polo and button down dress shirt.....maybe choose between the windbreaker and hoodie? Umbrella not necessary. At the end of the cruise, see what you haven't used and make a mental note for the next one. After all, isn't life a learning experience? I hope you have a great cruise, the Legend is a wonderful ship, ENJOY!

Lose the jeans, button down shirts, casual shoes, sneakers, hoodie and laundry supplies. You can use your swim trunks as shorts. If you HAVE to do laundry you can buy on ship. Yes, more $$$ but I've never, ever had to do laundry on board. You will still find yourself going home with clean clothes.

RELAX, have a great time!

Sorry about being affected by the flooding - you will absolutely enjoy your Aft Wrap! Have an awesome cruise and make sure to post a review when you return!

Good stuff Chef Susan! I would agree with almost everything... I always pack plenty of undies and socks they don't take up much room and it is worth it IMO. Pack the Purex sheets if you plan on doing laundry. They work just fine and have detergent and softener. Also, I would most definitely bring a sweatshirt. My hubby and I are always cold on the ship at night. Only take water shoes if you need them for an excursion (Dunn's River Falls, Cave Tubing, etc)

Have a wonderful time!!

I like to take Downey Wrinkle Release, and I always make a copy of my credit card and put it in the safe in the cabin, several years ago on a cruise my wallet got stolen in Playa Del Carmen and I had a difficult time with the credit card company over the phone on the ship, finally had to pay cash for my final bill. I don't think you are over packing, and yes it is hot in the Caribbean, but is is cool inside the ship, I always pack a sweater or hoodie (usually wear on the plane). Have a great vacation.

I am on the same sailing as you! I have an aft extended balcony on deck 5...maybe you are my neighbor!

I would bring the hoodie or sweater also, I get cold sometimes in the evening.

I would also keep the water shoes, if you are cave tubing, otherwise skip em'

I have a collaspable hamper, works great for me to keep the cabin tidy. The last sea day I dump it in the washer and dryer at the laundry facility and take clean clothes home! I have sample bottles of laundry soap and a few dryer sheets.

Last cruise, I ran out of daytime casual clothes, I was trying to pack light...never again lol. I drive to the port so no flying issues. Whats one more little suitcase in the grand scheme of things :p

I would rewear your bottoms..ex: pants and shorts. With a different shirt, no one will pay attention. (not that they would pay attention to the same shirt but, easier to get away with wearing bottoms twice.

I also would not hesitate to bring enough socks and undies...they only take a bit of room in your luggage...things dont dry that quickly hanging in the room or balcony. Bring extra swimsuits for that same reason!

Hope to see ya around the ship!!!

Just a quick tip I picked up awhile ago on the underwear. (NO, don't go commando!!) :eek:

Instead - unless you are one of those "mom-always-said-to-wear-nice-underwear-just-in-case" people - take your oldest pairs of underwear, and when done wearing them for the day, THROW THEM AWAY!

Believe me, seven days of underwear that aren't in the luggage at the end of the cruise will make a nice hole for any small to medium sized souvenir you pick up along the way. Sounds weird, but worked like a charm on our last cruise! Works for guys and ladies, altho guys' underwear always seems to take up more room! :p

You're gonna love your aft wrap and the Legend both! Enjoy!

I agree with almost all of ChefSusan's abreviated version of your list. You might also throw in a couple of the under a doller disposable rain ponchos you can pick up in most department stores. They fit in your pocket and can really come in handy during sudden rain storms when on excursions or shopping around town. They take up a lot less room than an umbrella and raincoat. Definitely lose some of the shoes and the shirts. The only jeans my husband takes are the ones he wears to get to the cruise! They are really too hot for the tropical climate. (his opinion) Instead of bug spray just buy a small packet of the bug wipes if you are planning an 'in the forest' excursion. Other than that we have never needed it. An empty suitcase under the bed makes a great hamper. Really think about the clothes and make everything as multi purpose as possible. If you are taking a couple of long sleeve shirts you really should not need the vest/hoodie/jackets unless you tend to get chilled easily at night or in the show lounge. Just put on a long sleeve shirt.

You guys are amazing! Thanks for all the responses! Will lose the sweater vest, and work on trimming down other stuff. I guess I should have clarified the button down shirt thing: they are not really "dress shirts" per say; plaid/snaps/casual tops; I like to wear them in place of polo type stuff. Will def keep the hoodie, the SO likes the room so cold I freeze a lot lol.

I am on the same sailing as you! I have an aft extended balcony on deck 5...maybe you are my neighbor!

I would bring the hoodie or sweater also, I get cold sometimes in the evening.

I would also keep the water shoes, if you are cave tubing, otherwise skip em'

I have a collaspable hamper, works great for me to keep the cabin tidy. The last sea day I dump it in the washer and dryer at the laundry facility and take clean clothes home! I have sample bottles of laundry soap and a few dryer sheets.

Last cruise, I ran out of daytime casual clothes, I was trying to pack light...never again lol. I drive to the port so no flying issues. Whats one more little suitcase in the grand scheme of things :p

I would rewear your bottoms..ex: pants and shorts. With a different shirt, no one will pay attention. (not that they would pay attention to the same shirt but, easier to get away with wearing bottoms twice.

I also would not hesitate to bring enough socks and undies...they only take a bit of room in your luggage...things dont dry that quickly hanging in the room or balcony. Bring extra swimsuits for that same reason!

Hope to see ya around the ship!!!

Hey! thanks for the tips! Really need the hamper, total neat freak LOL. Water shoes are necessary for health reasons, long story, but there it is LOL. And socks....packed hardly any! Plan on being in sandals as much as possible, and yes I am male but refuse to wear socks with sandals LOL. We are on deck 4-maybe right below you? Will look up and wave LOL

Just a quick tip I picked up awhile ago on the underwear. (NO, don't go commando!!) :eek:

Instead - unless you are one of those "mom-always-said-to-wear-nice-underwear-just-in-case" people - take your oldest pairs of underwear, and when done wearing them for the day, THROW THEM AWAY!

Believe me, seven days of underwear that aren't in the luggage at the end of the cruise will make a nice hole for any small to medium sized souvenir you pick up along the way. Sounds weird, but worked like a charm on our last cruise! Works for guys and ladies, altho guys' underwear always seems to take up more room! :p

You're gonna love your aft wrap and the Legend both! Enjoy!

Great idea! Going commando once in a while is ok-but not on dress up night or with jeans-ouch! LOL

I agree with almost all of ChefSusan's abreviated version of your list. You might also throw in a couple of the under a doller disposable rain ponchos you can pick up in most department stores. They fit in your pocket and can really come in handy during sudden rain storms when on excursions or shopping around town. They take up a lot less room than an umbrella and raincoat. Definitely lose some of the shoes and the shirts. The only jeans my husband takes are the ones he wears to get to the cruise! They are really too hot for the tropical climate. (his opinion) Instead of bug spray just buy a small packet of the bug wipes if you are planning an 'in the forest' excursion. Other than that we have never needed it. An empty suitcase under the bed makes a great hamper. Really think about the clothes and make everything as multi purpose as possible. If you are taking a couple of long sleeve shirts you really should not need the vest/hoodie/jackets unless you tend to get chilled easily at night or in the show lounge. Just put on a long sleeve shirt.

Poncho is packed, although still keeping the umbrella, its a mini collapsable one and takes up little room. I hate ponchos-my Disney experiences have taught be I'd rather be wet from rain than feel like I'm sweating in a garbage bag LOL

We are planning a forest excursion in Belize-river wallace and all that-trying to avoid malaria. Being immunocompromised poses loads of threats one may not initially think about!

Thats a great idea about the suitcase/hamper--just feel weird about getting my luggage all stinky LOL. We have a vista suite (4237) and I think there will be loads of room for the hamper.

I just said to DH the other day, "isn't is nice that we don't have to plan our meals around parks and EMH?" ;)

LOL! !!! Don't get me wrong - I love disney-but planning a trip there Is just ridiculous at times. What Parks have emh on what day-make adrs- when is wishes? Plan for fantasmic-only on certain days of course. Dining plan or no?

Makes your head spin! Lol

This is easy in comparison, but hard to get out of that Disney mindset lol

I usually take one pair of dressy capris for dinner (7 days or 4 day cruise) and interchangable tanks and shawls or a dressy shirt to cut down on space. Then I only need one pair of dress shoes, one pair of casual, flip flops and workout shoes. (One of these are on my feet for the plane ride)

My son and I for our 4 day cruise shared one carryone suitcase of clothes - airlines charge for luggage! And we managed! (And he was 5'7" at 13 so his clothes take up quite a bit of space - he's up to 5'10, a year later.) (we had to use two carry ons for our 7 day)

A couple of casual shirts with one pair of shorts. No one cares. My problem for our 3 day cruise is I have so many cute clothes, which to take! (And it will be March before it's warm enough to wear again)

One swim suit is plenty. If it rips, buy one in port.

I usually take one pair of dressy capris for dinner (7 days or 4 day cruise) and interchangable tanks and shawls or a dressy shirt to cut down on space. Then I only need one pair of dress shoes, one pair of casual, flip flops and workout shoes. (One of these are on my feet for the plane ride)

My son and I for our 4 day cruise shared one carryone suitcase of clothes - airlines charge for luggage! And we managed! (And he was 5'7" at 13 so his clothes take up quite a bit of space - he's up to 5'10, a year later.) (we had to use two carry ons for our 7 day)

A couple of casual shirts with one pair of shorts. No one cares. My problem for our 3 day cruise is I have so many cute clothes, which to take! (And it will be March before it's warm enough to wear again)

One swim suit is plenty. If it rips, buy one in port.

Thanks for the post! Just wondering.......I'm a guy- do I need to go shopping for capris and shawls? Maybe a pashmina? I can't believe I know that word

Lol

So I did.

Ugh.

-BJ

WOW after reading your post I need a drink....:D

Relax...when its all over with your gonna say boy did i overreact......remember to take a breath every once in awhile

Just go and have fun....:)

I have packed 2 swimtrunks. 4 pair shorts. 6-7 T shirts. 4 polo type pullover shirts, 4 button down casual shirts; 2 pr jeans; one pair khakis; one pair dress pants; tie; belts (casual and dress); dress shoes; sneakers; water shoes; sandals; casual leather shoes (for jeans/khakis); underwear; socks (both gym and dress); 2 hats (baseball caps). Umbrella. Toiletries. One sweater vest. One windbreaker/rain jacket. a hoodie. Sleeping pants/pajamas.

If you plan to do laundry (or have it done), I would cut that clothing list in half. You will only wear some of these things for a few hours at a time, which (to me) means it can be hung up or folded and worn again.

1 swimtrunks

2 pair shorts

3 T shirts (buy a 4th one somewhere as a souvenir)

2 polo type pullover shirts

2 button down casual shirts

1 pr jeans

1 pair khakis -OR - 1 pair dress pants

tie; belts (casual and dress)

dress shoes; sneakers; water shoes; sandals; casual leather shoes (waaaay too many)

underwear; socks (3 each)

1 baseball cap

One sweater vest (If it's long sleeved, take it OR the hoodie)

Sleeping pants/pajamas (2 pair max)

Ditch the umbrella OR the rain jacket.

I would lose the jeans, the casual /leather shoes, the umbrella, swater vest, windbreaker and hoodie, along with laundry hamper, and the laundry supplies.

I would also add 2 T-Shirts, and another pair of kakahis and you are good to go.

I would keep the laundry items. They are costly onboard. We sent laundry out last cruise and it took three days to get it back.

Archived