NCL Suffers By Comparison .....

nycruise

Ok so if people in the "good old days" were so civil and proper, who raised all of us rude,pushy,ignorant no mannered children and young adults?

And I just love the Wal-mart references. Sorry yes I am a mid 30ish, six day a week worker that can travel only because the prices are kept reasonable. And watch out!! This Wal-marter is cruising the Gem in December if anyone wants to change their plans now.;)

And really, do you need a stranger/someone else to make you feel special? I don't get that. I have never gone on vacation to have someone else make me feel special. I feel special because I can go on vacation.

Also maybe today's workers feel that no matter how hard we try to please, we can do no right in your eyes and finally give up. If the staff asks if you want help, you are being pushy. If you leave the customer alone, you are be inattentive. Maybe that's why the staff seems disinterested.

I mean really, how many rants have you read on this board stating my trip was ruined because my luggage was not in my room, I had to pay for a cup of coffee, I had to wait 5 minutes to be seated,and on and on..

And now businesses are cutting staff but still want the same level of service at the same wages. The average worker is doing 2 to 3 jobs, were in the old days they were doing 1.

just my 2 cents.

Okay, so I have to add my 2 cents here. It used to be a penny for my thoughts, though...:) anyway, as far as special that is apparently relative. We are definitely lower middle class, money wise. Flying 1st class, etc, is never going to happen for us. That said, we just did a B2B on Epic for our 25th wedding anniversary. We had a balcony, ate 3 times in specialty restaurants, had 3 bottles wine, bought some other booze, did excursions in every port, bought spa passes for 2 X 2 weeks, husband had acupuncture treatments, (which, btw, worked!) did ALL the shows, free or not, flew to Miami, etc. Counting everything, including taxis, baggage fees, buying artwork at the auction--oops!, whatever, the total bill came to $6900. Could we afford that again any time soon? No! But it was a perfect and special 2 weeks for us. However, if that was what I was accustomed to, then no, it would not be "special". Then I might have to look into chartering a yacht or big sailboat or something. It sounds like some of us here are very well off and some are not. I am rambling but I guess the point is that what makes something "special" might just be whatever is "different" than what we are used to. Y'know, what really made us feel extra special was going to the M &G, meeting the crew, and having them remember us at very turn...

Also, not to be preachy, but if the specialness is wearing off and you have the means, how about taking one of those "pay your own way" mission trips? Nothing will make you feel more special than the looks of gratitude and hugs that come from helping others!

Excause me.....Would you like to join me and my Rotary Club in South America this summer... Let's see, I have paid my own way to help dig trenches and install water systems in a village in Peru that had no water. Be careful who you get "preachy" with.

Let's chat about the 150 plus families in my commuity that I assist with providing a Thanksgiving meal to that would go with out.

I usually don't reply to comments like yours and a few other folks here, but you win and got under my skin!

How dare you even assume and make the terrible character comments you made.

Good Grrief!

Ok so if people in the "good old days" were so civil and proper, who raised all of us rude,pushy,ignorant no mannered children and young adults?

And I just love the Wal-mart references. Sorry yes I am a mid 30ish, six day a week worker that can travel only because the prices are kept reasonable. And watch out!! This Wal-marter is cruising the Gem in December if anyone wants to change their plans now.;)

And really, do you need a stranger/someone else to make you feel special? I don't get that. I have never gone on vacation to have someone else make me feel special. I feel special because I can go on vacation.

Also maybe today's workers feel that no matter how hard we try to please, we can do no right in your eyes and finally give up. If the staff asks if you want help, you are being pushy. If you leave the customer alone, you are be inattentive. Maybe that's why the staff seems disinterested.

I mean really, how many rants have you read on this board stating my trip was ruined because my luggage was not in my room, I had to pay for a cup of coffee, I had to wait 5 minutes to be seated,and on and on..

And now businesses are cutting staff but still want the same level of service at the same wages. The average worker is doing 2 to 3 jobs, were in the old days they were doing 1.

just my 2 cents.

Maybe it's where you live but service in all areas of the country is different. Living in the south people treat others differently than up in NY. I recently went to AC and had lunch in a typical deli. Having grown up in MD I was familiar with authetic Jewish deli's - we don't have too many down here. What I observed was the manner in which the hostess and busboy and waitress interacted with the clients was very 'rough'. No chit chat, nothing warm but lots of sarcastic comments, rolling eyes, etc. For these people that was normal. No one was offended, it was what it was.

Having been in customer service industry for my entire career I find it apalling how people treat workers and vice versa. You're right about employers wanting more and more from their workers and in my mind that can explain some of the attitudes.

But when people are exposed to McDonalds and Wal-Mart service each and every day I don't expect that on a cruiseline. On my last cruise with NCL on the Epic I certainly received very good service and at times in Moderno and O'Sheehans it was excellent service.

Special treatment means different things to different individuals. I can tell you this: no matter how many times I go to Wal-mart and no matter how many times the greeter says hello it's NOT a special trip.

Excause me.....Would you like to join me and my Rotary Club in South America this summer... Let's see, I have paid my own way to help dig trenches and install water systems in a village in Peru that had no water. Be careful who you get "preachy" with.

Let's chat about the 150 plus families in my commuity that I assist with providing a Thanksgiving meal to that would go with out.

I usually don't reply to comments like yours and a few other folks here, but you win and got under my skin!

Good Grrief!

.......wow.......

You certainly misinterpreted my comments in a very big way....

Not knowing you or anyone else, I was merely making an observation about different socioeconomic steps in people's lives, in light of your comments that you "travel and associate in different circles..., fly first class and always stay in Suites"

Kinda touchy there...

I don't believe I ever made a mention of your character, but your reaction speaks volumes...

Yeah I have to disagree with you Mr. Luckytoo. The rest of the country is not exempt from this type of behavior. We went to Disneyworld a couple of years ago. When we walked in, there were people taking pictures and asking where you were from. With a warm hello and a smile on my face I said NY. The girl rolls her eyes and says to the girl working with her "great ANOTHER New Yorker" then turned and walked away. No picture, no nothing. And my other favorite road trip was to the New England area. We drove into the hotel parking lot. As we were getting out of the car, a couple of people were walking by and saw our NY plates on the car and started making nasty comments about NYers in their state and how we better watch out. There was some of that Hospitality outside of NY that you speak of.:rolleyes:

Maybe certain people are tired of being 'run out' by the trash. Maybe it time people took a stance and stopped lowers standards.

Your arguement has been tried many times in the past - look back at history. Many cities in the Northeast of the US adopted your attitude and look at those cities now. Many schools adopted your attitude years ago and they left for private and home schooling - look at the status of those public schools now.

What I find amazing is that those of us who remember when things used to be special are constantly being berated by those who are spoiling the experience in the first place!

Yes Nita you were correct after all - we all run into rude people all the time and unfortunately some of those people follow us as well.

Bravo.

just my 2 cents.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the two statements in red are connected?

Don't you think the focus on price, as the major determinant in buying decisions, whether for a cruise or a t-shirt forces companies to look for more and more ways to cut costs? Sometimes maybe they keep prices low by cutting out things that used to be included in the purchase price, sometimes by cutting their staff and requiring the remaining people to do the work two or three people did before.

I agree it is understandable for people working under that kind of pressure to be less than overjoyed while doing their jobs but as long as people keep clamouring for lower prices, with very little regard to quality, it is what it is, and the services and products will continue to deteriorate.

And, heaven fobid that you should have the nerve to point out or question this decline in quality, you will be labelled a whiner or negative nellie and told just to accept things the way they are.

Good Grrief!

Does " excause me " mean the same as " excuse me "? Frankly I think the poster " protesteth too much ".

And, heaven fobid that you should have the nerve to point out or question this decline in quality, you will be labelled a whiner or negative nellie and told just to accept things the way they are.

We've seen no "decline in quality," I am happy to say, and don't understand the fuss.

Don't you think the focus on price, as the major determinant in buying decisions, whether for a cruise or a t-shirt forces companies to look for more and more ways to cut costs? Sometimes maybe they keep prices low by cutting out things that used to be included in the purchase price, sometimes by cutting their staff and requiring the remaining people to do the work two or three people did before.

I agree it is understandable for people working under that kind of pressure to be less than overjoyed while doing their jobs but as long as people keep clamouring for lower prices, with very little regard to quality, it is what it is, and the services and products will continue to deteriorate.

The statement highlighted in red is easy to measure when it comes to products. Less expensive parts, inferior materials, etc.,

When it comes to services - that is where it gets subjective and people need to have a sliding scale of expectations. For example if you go to a fast food establishment what is the scale of quality? The managers will tell you that taking the customers order within XX minutes and getting them their food within YY mintues is a sign of quality service; fast quick and accurate.

Then there is the question of standardization. You except your McNuggets to taste the same no matter where you purchase them, in Alaska or Arkansas or Argentina - that is the McDonalds 'system'.

Cruise ships are adopting some of the same principles. Why? because their customers are used to the McDonalds/Wal-Mart/Self-service venues.

So if the food quality drops from 4-star to 3.5-star compared to the usual 2-star quality most of the passengers get at home what's the big deal? Personally I wouldn't be surprised that if the next generation of new ships had the following food venues on-board: Subway, McDonalds, Carvel and Applebees/Olive Garden. That way the customers could get what they want and are used to. In addition the cruiseline gets additional revenue from the branded eateries along with reduced food prices/cost(s).

Now from MY perspective that would be a major downgrade but for many, many others they would clamour to have a bacon/egg/cheese biscuit for breakfast rather than eggs benedict. So what if there's a $2/pp upcharge?

The statement highlighted in red is easy to measure when it comes to products. Less expensive parts, inferior materials, etc.,

When it comes to services - that is where it gets subjective and people need to have a sliding scale of expectations. For example if you go to a fast food establishment what is the scale of quality? The managers will tell you that taking the customers order within XX minutes and getting them their food within YY mintues is a sign of quality service; fast quick and accurate.

Then there is the question of standardization. You except your McNuggets to taste the same no matter where you purchase them, in Alaska or Arkansas or Argentina - that is the McDonalds 'system'.

Cruise ships are adopting some of the same principles. Why? because their customers are used to the McDonalds/Wal-Mart/Self-service venues.

So if the food quality drops from 4-star to 3.5-star compared to the usual 2-star quality most of the passengers get at home what's the big deal? Personally I wouldn't be surprised that if the next generation of new ships had the following food venues on-board: Subway, McDonalds, Carvel and Applebees/Olive Garden. That way the customers could get what they want and are used to. In addition the cruiseline gets additional revenue from the branded eateries along with reduced food prices/cost(s).

Now from MY perspective that would be a major downgrade but for many, many others they would clamour to have a bacon/egg/cheese biscuit for breakfast rather than eggs benedict. So what if there's a $2/pp upcharge?

Interesting concept, and it is true. However, different cruise lines gear their product to appeal to different parts of the population, and if that is what fills the ship and puts money in the coffers, it is a successful business model.

Therefore, you can't expect to get a prime steak at McDonalds and at McDonalds prices any more than you can expect five star food and service at a cruise line that gears their business to provide low price cruises.

If you want the five star experience, pay the price for a cruise line that offers that as their business model.

Exactly, and heaven help you if, when that happens, you were to mention on a cruise board that you preferred to receive eggs benedict served in the dining room rather than paying $2.00 for an Egg McMuffin.

My guess (based on recent experience) is that you would be told that if you don't like the new breakfast choices it is because you lack self discipline, or that if you ate your egg McMuffin the proper way it wouldn't be a problem, or even that nothing has changed and the cruiselines have always served egg McMuffins and never had eggs benedict anyway. Or, one of my personal favourites, that if you are the type of person who worries about spending $2 on breakfast well, :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Exactly the point I was trying to make. You just said it better. How many times have you read a complaint on this board stating we had to wait a half-hour for dessert or it took so long for dinner to be served that we missed our show? Seems like most want their cake and eat it to.

I know if I goto a fast food chain or a big box store that the service is gonna be a bit below the standards of a 5 Star restaurant or the private boutique. But you have a choice, pay more and get all the perks and personal service you are looking for. Or you goto the discounters and well I think we have covered at length what you get there.

just my 2 cents.;)

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the two statements in red are connected?

Please tell me what company doesn't focus on cutting costs and increasing their bottom line? For a company to stay in business you must conform to what the general public demands. Stock your business with items only 10% of your clients want and see how long you can stay in business. Or only appeal to 10% of any markert and see how long you can keep your door open,staff and bills paid and of course pay yourself.

just my 2 cents.;)

What would you choose?

THIS or THAT?

#1, #2, #3 or #4... descriptions below were taken from 4-different cruise line descriptions.

Relive the Golden Age of travel. Experience six unforgettable days to revel in activities and fascinating enrichment programs. Your days and nights at sea offer an abundance of possibilities. Spend a refreshing moment beneath a waterfall in the AquaTherapy Centre of the Canyon Ranch SpaClub®, browse the books in the largest library collection at sea, attend lavish Royal Nights balls, indulge in traditional Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room, or enrich yourself during a ?????? Insights™ lecture program. Dine on fine cuisine and, perhaps best of all, be among the privileged travelers who can say they have experienced an extraordinary legacy.

If your family just can't get enough Nickelodeon™, imagine their excitement when you tell them they'll be sailing on a Nickelodeon All Access Cruise vacation. Nickelodeon will take over the entire ship with imaginative surprises around every corner. The whole family will love this Bahamas vacation. With ports-of-call near Orlando's theme parks, NASA's Port Canaveral, and Atlantis Casino's Aquaventure; there's fun to be had by everyone. Plus you'll experience three fun days at sea with your favorite cast and shows on Nickelodeon.

Set sail on the new ship ????? and discover an array of exotic western Caribbean ports to be explored. Aboard the ????, you’ll be one of the first to experience the ship’s many exciting entertainment options, nightlife and 17 dining choices.

An architectural marvel at sea, ?????? ℠ spans 16 decks and carries 5,400 guests. The ship is the first to tout the cruise line’s new neighborhood concept of seven distinct themed areas, which includes Central Park, Boardwalk, and the Royal Promenade.

What would you choose?

THIS or THAT?

#1, #2, #3 or #4... descriptions below were taken from 4-different cruise line descriptions.

Relive the Golden Age of travel. Experience six unforgettable days to revel in activities and fascinating enrichment programs. Your days and nights at sea offer an abundance of possibilities. Spend a refreshing moment beneath a waterfall in the AquaTherapy Centre of the Canyon Ranch SpaClub®, browse the books in the largest library collection at sea, attend lavish Royal Nights balls, indulge in traditional Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room, or enrich yourself during a ?????? Insights™ lecture program. Dine on fine cuisine and, perhaps best of all, be among the privileged travelers who can say they have experienced an extraordinary legacy.

If your family just can't get enough Nickelodeon™, imagine their excitement when you tell them they'll be sailing on a Nickelodeon All Access Cruise vacation. Nickelodeon will take over the entire ship with imaginative surprises around every corner. The whole family will love this Bahamas vacation. With ports-of-call near Orlando's theme parks, NASA's Port Canaveral, and Atlantis Casino's Aquaventure; there's fun to be had by everyone. Plus you'll experience three fun days at sea with your favorite cast and shows on Nickelodeon.

Set sail on the new ship ????? and discover an array of exotic western Caribbean ports to be explored. Aboard the ????, you’ll be one of the first to experience the ship’s many exciting entertainment options, nightlife and 17 dining choices.

An architectural marvel at sea, ?????? ℠ spans 16 decks and carries 5,400 guests. The ship is the first to tout the cruise line’s new neighborhood concept of seven distinct themed areas, which includes Central Park, Boardwalk, and the Royal Promenade.

#3 Please.:)

Number 1 wouldn't work for me. Not part of "the golden age of travel". And I KNOW I could never afford such a trip.

Number 2 wouldn't work no family,no children. Solo Cruiser here. Maybe in the future??

Number 4 just to darn big for me.

Number 3 sounds just right.

just my 2 cents.;)

None of the above, how about this:

"Vacation at sea. Feel the sea breezes in your hair and the roll of the deck beneath your feet. Enjoy dining in an elegant atmosphere with crisp white linens and sparkling chandeliers. Our menu offers different selections every night, enjoy lobster, beef wellington and many other delicious dishes . Feel like an extra shrimp cocktail? No problem, just make your wish known to your waiter. Work off the extra calories later in the gym, or attend one of our (included) aerobics classes.

Too busy to stop at the dining room for lunch one day? No problem, stop by the buffet at 3 for a pot of tea and a delicious snack to keep you going till dinnertime

Find a deck chair in a pleasant, quiet location and wile the afternoon away with a good book and sea views or, if you seek something more active, play a round of mini-golf or try the rock climbing wall (included). Or attend one of our (included) dance classes in the lounge. …catch some lively music and have a few laughs with our CD and other guests on the main pool deck. After that activity, stop by the buffet for a refreshing glass of juice or lemonade (included).

Enjoy all this at a reasonable charge that won’t require you to take out a second mortgage.

Alcoholic beverages and shore excursion are also available at additional charge."

That is a pamphlet blurb that could have been written for some of the cruises I took in previous years. Sadly, I don't think it would fit any line that I can think of today.

ETA: #2 sounds kind of scary!

Okay, so I have to add my 2 cents here. It used to be a penny for my thoughts, though...:) anyway, as far as special that is apparently relative. We are definitely lower middle class, money wise. Flying 1st class, etc, is never going to happen for us. That said, we just did a B2B on Epic for our 25th wedding anniversary. We had a balcony, ate 3 times in specialty restaurants, had 3 bottles wine, bought some other booze, did excursions in every port, bought spa passes for 2 X 2 weeks, husband had acupuncture treatments, (which, btw, worked!) did ALL the shows, free or not, flew to Miami, etc. Counting everything, including taxis, baggage fees, buying artwork at the auction--oops!, whatever, the total bill came to $6900. Could we afford that again any time soon? No! But it was a perfect and special 2 weeks for us. However, if that was what I was accustomed to, then no, it would not be "special". Then I might have to look into chartering a yacht or big sailboat or something. It sounds like some of us here are very well off and some are not. I am rambling but I guess the point is that what makes something "special" might just be whatever is "different" than what we are used to. Y'know, what really made us feel extra special was going to the M &G, meeting the crew, and having them remember us at very turn...

Also, not to be preachy, but if the specialness is wearing off and you have the means, how about taking one of those "pay your own way" mission trips? Nothing will make you feel more special than the looks of gratitude and hugs that come from helping others!

great post, happy belated annivesary and I bet whether you are upper class, lower class or what you have class. That is something money will never buy. Many with money are totally boring and classless. I would love to cruise with you..

Nita

We've seen no "decline in quality," I am happy to say, and don't understand the fuss.

for us, more than an actually decline has been changes. Some I don't like, some I love, but overall cruising is still a great way to spend a vacation. In fact all vacations should be fun and most are, as long as people do not think they are slightly above the rest of the world.

Nita

Archived