Live Island - Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale via Panama 17 nights

vickie_bernie

Vickie,

Glad to hear your Embera Village tour was good. I am a little concerned now, though, because DH & I aren't elite, so looks like we won't get a tender til 9:30 or so. Is the tour so long that we may have to be worried about getting back by 5 PM (ship leaves at 6)? (At the moment, we don't have a private tour; MFM is going to put us in a group of 4-10. We could probably change to a private one if that would help.) Thanks again for your help!

Hi Vickie,

I am enjoying your posts! My parents are on the ship with you, and I have been following your bridge cam the entire time. I'm really enjoying watching you sail through the Gatun Locks right now! Please tell Karen and Marty Deimler (aka Starshine95123) hello for me! Enjoy the rest of your voyage!

Vickie,

Glad to hear your Embera Village tour was good. I am a little concerned now, though, because DH & I aren't elite, so looks like we won't get a tender til 9:30 or so. Is the tour so long that we may have to be worried about getting back by 5 PM (ship leaves at 6)? (At the moment, we don't have a private tour; MFM is going to put us in a group of 4-10. We could probably change to a private one if that would help.) Thanks again for your help!

Mario is aware that non elite passengers get off later and there is not a problem getting back before the ship sails... we were back in lots of time and we even made two extra stops that were not planned but he was happy to accommodate us. You may want to send him a message that you won't be off until 945, lots of others will be in the same predicament.

Vickie, great blog as always. Did Mario's tour take you to a waterfall by canoe? Jerry

We opted out of the falls as we didn't want to get wet, we spent almost three hours at the village and loved it.

Hi Vickie,

I am enjoying your posts! My parents are on the ship with you, and I have been following your bridge cam the entire time. I'm really enjoying watching you sail through the Gatun Locks right now! Please tell Karen and Marty Deimler (aka Starshine95123) hello for me! Enjoy the rest of your voyage!

funny I haven't seen them in a while.. but i will say hi if I do.

Today we are in columbia, last year we just took a taxi into the old town and we decided to do the same today. We got off the ship and walked the pier and got a taxi, there were lots of people offerring tours for about $40 each, or transportation only for $20 return each, we got a taxi for just Bernie and I for $15 total and the same coming back. Very beautiful city in the old town.

Rob and I are doing the wine tasting today and Bernie is resting. Tonight we will dine in the main dining room. Tomorrow is Aruba, not one of my favorite places, just too busy and I have been there about five times in the past two years so i may just stay on the ship. If i do get off it will be for a short time.

Very hot hot hot, and humid... off to the pool

Vickie, thanks so much for posting. Following you with great interest as we are on the Island Princess in a couple of weeks, out of LA.

Can I ask you if many of the passengers are dressing in formal attire on the formal nights?

Thank you for the "live." We're on the full transit on the Island in December--Can't Wait!!!

Can you shed any light on the Early, Traditional and Anytime dining situation? Does it seem to be well managed? Any insight as to timing and which dining room is which?

We took Anytime for medical reasons, but if they don't start Anytime until 7:00, I'll have to try to change to 5:15.

Thank you for the "live." We're on the full transit on the Island in December--Can't Wait!!!

Can you shed any light on the Early, Traditional and Anytime dining situation? Does it seem to be well managed? Any insight as to timing and which dining room is which?

We took Anytime for medical reasons, but if they don't start Anytime until 7:00, I'll have to try to change to 5:15.

There are two Anytime dining rooms. One of them will be used for the new early traditional and then later for anytime. The other will be for anytime as soon as it opens.

Vickie, thanks so much for posting. Following you with great interest as we are on the Island Princess in a couple of weeks, out of LA.

Can I ask you if many of the passengers are dressing in formal attire on the formal nights?

can't really speak to this as we are not doing formal at all... I did notice that this voyage is much more casual than some of the others we have been on.

The anytime dining room opens at 5:30 until 10 pm. My experience has been that because of the age of the passengers the one anytime dining room fills up between 5:30 and 6:15.... then you really have to wait for those people to finish to get in. It has been difficult to get a table from 6:30 to 7:30 but no problem after that. However exception has been on port days like Panama City, the Canal and Aruba as many people have been very tired and are obviously eating elsewhere as the dining room has not been full. We have not had a problem getting in before 6 pm (but that was just on two occassions)

There are two Anytime dining rooms. One of them will be used for the new early traditional and then later for anytime. The other will be for anytime as soon as it opens.

actually there are only two dining rooms one for anytime and one for fixed. First seating and second seating in traditional. Note that each sailing is different.

Yesterday was Aruba and we went ashore for about an hour, all we needed was aloe gel and went to the grocery store and picked some up and then we were back on board hanging by the pool for the afternoon.

Muts is live and well and very very noisy during the day. Not a hit with the passengers on board, could be the age group. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying the age group and man some people who are in their 80s sure have a lot more energy than I do.

We have two more days at sea, and you can feel the rush to get fcc, last minute shopping items, bills to review, booking future cruises. I love that now when youbuy your future cruise credit they no longer send you all the paper work to your cabin. We got an email and it is in our Princess account.

Laundry service is amazing... this is the only ship that we have not had a single issue with items missing. and they have managed to get stains out too. Note dry cleaning is not available anymore.... I checked again as a friend insisted it was, but that has stopped on princess a few years ago. They call it professional cleaning now but really it is just washing.

Last night was the Chef's dinner in the dining room I had scallops and their homestyle dish was fried chicken (waiter said they picked it up at KFC in Aruba that day :p) Bernie had rack of lamb. WE then went to the liars club game and we won (princess bags). There was a hypmotist but we missed him but he is playing again today. Tonight is also the production show of Piano man.

Tonight is formal night but we will opt out. Our friends one the Panama Canal poster contest and won a free reflections DVD.

Jasper Mooose Jaw our mascot made it onto the morning show yesterday, and was even the next morning's question of the day.

I am relaxing today, Bernie is enjoying a full blown cold along with many other passengers! No sign of norwalk at all on this voyage.

Have to say the cruise has been a huge success again.

now off to relax for my last two sea days.

So enjoying this thread!

Thank-you.

And - - where is the best spot on the ship to "hang" while transiting the canal??

And - - just how "hot" is hot? heh heh

We "do" 115 F in our summers, but that is with 2% humidity.

The front/aft viewing areas on Baja/Caribe/Dolphin decks.

The heat can be stifling. Lots more humidity then 2%. :eek:

So enjoying this thread!

Thank-you.

And - - where is the best spot on the ship to "hang" while transiting the canal??

And - - just how "hot" is hot? heh heh

We "do" 115 F in our summers, but that is with 2% humidity.

i agree with the above poster baja caribe and dolphin decks aft and forward, the forward decks were very busy this sailing, but the aft decks were very quiet. I prefer the aft decks as you are much closer to the lock and a totally unobstructed view and can see on both sides quite easily.

Re the head, it was hot around 30 degrees but the humitidy was alwasy in the 85 - 95% range. All clothing items got soaked from sweat. In columbia a lot of people were walking around the old city which can get very very hot as it is walled., so bring water and light clothes.

I even noticed that a few areas on board were warm, and the trip north we had sun on our balcony all afternoon and it was very warm too warm to sit out on and the drapes had to be kept closed to prevent the room from heating up. Air Conditioning in our cabin seemed to be fair, often if felt like it just wasn't getting cool enough. Someone looked at it and it seemed better but then a few days later it was back to the old way. Defintately needed a top sheet so I could throw off the duvet and just use the sheet.

Vicki,

I am wondering if you can tell me where would be a good spot to meet fellow CC members for a private tour. There will be 16 of us if that matters. Thanks again for your live posts.

I am not sure if you are referring to a meet and greet or for a group to meet prior to getting off the ship.

For meet and greet we had Princess organize and they had us in the Wheelhouse bar. For gathering for a port excursion I would say the Wheelhouse for 16 as 16 would be quite a bit to hang out in the Atrium. Also Crooners bar on deck 7 would be good. Gangways were usually on deck 5 and 4. Big tip, make sure you have all the cabin # of the people you are meeting with to be able to call them and give them the details of the meeting location and if it changes.

We are home, got off the ship at 815 and was at the airport at 845. Take a taxi if it is just two of you, cost was $20 including tip.

A few more injuries occurred in Aruba, two gentleman (not together) broke their elbow or wrist. Both were set and they both stayed on.

Trip was great, definately recommend it to anyone. very relaxing with all those sea days, and the crew are truley exceptional.

Our Cruise Critic group certainly added to the voyage experience. We had a few impromptu gatherings organized by others, like wine tasting, afternoon tea, and gathering in cabins for champagne and wine. We would also meet up quite often in the Elite/Platinum lounge.

I will update my blog soon with the ports and details on the excursions we took. So check it out soon.

I will still answer any questions if you have any.

I am not sure if you are referring to a meet and greet or for a group to meet prior to getting off the ship.

For meet and greet we had Princess organize and they had us in the Wheelhouse bar. For gathering for a port excursion I would say the Wheelhouse for 16 as 16 would be quite a bit to hang out in the Atrium. Also Crooners bar on deck 7 would be good. Gangways were usually on deck 5 and 4. Big tip, make sure you have all the cabin # of the people you are meeting with to be able to call them and give them the details of the meeting location and if it changes.

Thanks Vicki,

I was referring to a group going on a tour. The wheelhouse Bar will work. I will ask them for cabin numbers on our Roll Call. Thanks for the tip. Glad you had a good time. We can hardly wait.:D

We are home, got off the ship at 815 and was at the airport at 845. Take a taxi if it is just two of you, cost was $20 including tip.

A few more injuries occurred in Aruba, two gentleman (not together) broke their elbow or wrist. Both were set and they both stayed on.

Trip was great, definately recommend it to anyone. very relaxing with all those sea days, and the crew are truley exceptional.

Our Cruise Critic group certainly added to the voyage experience. We had a few impromptu gatherings organized by others, like wine tasting, afternoon tea, and gathering in cabins for champagne and wine. We would also meet up quite often in the Elite/Platinum lounge.

I will update my blog soon with the ports and details on the excursions we took. So check it out soon.

I will still answer any questions if you have any.

Wow that was just way too fast.

Archived