venice vaparetto

Keikidoc

The closest vaporetto stop to the cruise port is the large vaporetto dock area at the Piazale Roma. You can get there from the port by walking (about 20 min) or taking the new overhead people mover. Keep in mind that a single vaporetto ticket costs 6.5 Euros so you might want to consider a 24 hour ticket (they sell various types of timed tickets) which you can buy at the ACTV office located right on the Piazale Roma before you walk down to the piers.

Hank

The closest vaporetto stop to the cruise port is the large vaporetto dock area at the Piazale Roma. You can get there from the port by walking (about 20 min) or taking the new overhead people mover. Keep in mind that a single vaporetto ticket costs 6.5 Euros so you might want to consider a 24 hour ticket (they sell various types of timed tickets) which you can buy at the ACTV office located right on the Piazale Roma before you walk down to the piers.

Hank

Thanks, I'm actually in Venice now on a 3 day pre cruise. I will be purchasing a multi day pass but was wondering which was the best stop. After going through the Venice threads, looks like talking the vaparetto from Zattere, where we are staying, to the Piazale Roma would be the thing to do. Then we would take the people mover to the port. Does this sound correct?

Thanks, I'm actually in Venice now on a 3 day pre cruise. I will be purchasing a multi day pass but was wondering which was the best stop. After going through the Venice threads, looks like talking the vaparetto from Zattere, where we are staying, to the Piazale Roma would be the thing to do. Then we would take the people mover to the port. Does this sound correct?

You are right From Zattere, the quickest vaporetto is the no 62 to P. Roma. Walk across the square and take the tram (people mover) to the port. The no 2 also goes there but takes a few minutes longer. The no 2 goes in both directions You want clockwise.

My only caution is that if you are trying to get around Venice with a lot of luggage it can be a royal pain. You can take luggage on the vaporettos but they charge an extra fee per bag (I think the first bag is free). From the Piazale Roma to the cruise port can be easily (and cheaply) done on the people mover, but if you have a lot of luggage you might want to spend a few extra Euros and have a land taxi take you from the Piazale Roma right to the cruise terminal (5 min ride and about 10-12 Euros).

Hank

My only caution is that if you are trying to get around Venice with a lot of luggage it can be a royal pain. You can take luggage on the vaporettos but they charge an extra fee per bag (I think the first bag is free). From the Piazale Roma to the cruise port can be easily (and cheaply) done on the people mover, but if you have a lot of luggage you might want to spend a few extra Euros and have a land taxi take you from the Piazale Roma right to the cruise terminal (5 min ride and about 10-12 Euros).

Hank

I think Hank is right. You are spending several thousand dollars on your cruise. Why not splurge a bit extra for a limo (private water taxi) to the port. It's well worth it.

I think Hank is right. You are spending several thousand dollars on your cruise. Why not splurge a bit extra for a limo (private water taxi) to the port. It's well worth it.

Thanks for the kind words but that is not exactly what we had in mind. We were assuming that the OP would use the vaporetto to get to the Piazale Roma, but simply suggested that if they have a lot of luggage a land taxi is a good option from there to the port (about 1/2 mile. We seldom recommend the private water taxis because of their cost (usually about $150). Besides, the land taxi can take you right to the port terminal building (and luggage drop) whereas the water taxis drop you at a dock which is still some distance from the port terminal building (not sure if they now run an internal port shuttle). Actually, on our last visit we were really cheap and spent a few days at the Ca Doge Hotel (right in the Piazale Roma) and than walked to the cruise port.

Hank

Thanks for the replies. We packed one rolling suitcase each so no extra bags. We are able so getting to the tram should not be a problem. We had to trek over two bridges to get to our apt anyway so we should do fine without the taxis.

Getting on board tomorrow afternoon.

You may be able to get a free shuttle bus from P.le Roma, depending on your cruise line. We're just back from NCL Gem, they have a free shuttle and we saw lots of shuttles for other ships too but don't know if there was a charge for them. All the shuttles park in P.le Roma in the opposite corner from the vaporetto stop.

You may be able to get a free shuttle bus from P.le Roma, depending on your cruise line. We're just back from NCL Gem, they have a free shuttle and we saw lots of shuttles for other ships too but don't know if there was a charge for them. All the shuttles park in P.le Roma in the opposite corner from the vaporetto stop.

That's interesting to hear. We took the free shuttle bus in May but I assumed the buses would be eliminated when the People Mover opened up. It can still be a long walk between the ship and the People Mover so perhaps they'll keep the shuttle for that reason.

The shuttles provided by the cruise lines from P Roma to and from the shipping berths may be free on some lines, but not all. HAL charged USD5 each way in May.

Princess did not even offer any bus!

Hank

Thank you, Freckles, we'll be on Norw. Jade - I hope all Norwegian ships offer shuttles, after that we'll take the bus to the airport going back home. We'll stay in Venice pre-cruise.

If the free shuttles are offered to/from P.le Roma, you might want to consider, after your cruise, taking the free shuttle back to P.le Roma and then the ATVO express to the airport (3 Euro), depending upon how much time you have before your flight. We booked the NCL post-cruise transfer ($30) on the advice of our TA, but would have taken the shuttle/ATVO bus had we known about it before we booked. That is the way we travelled from the airport to Venice pre-cruise.

BTW, the bus drivers (shuttle & ATVO) do NOT load/unload your luggage on the bus, you have to do it yourself. The NCL transfer driver does load/unload the luggage.

Archived