British Airways terminal security question

lanceholt

We are flying into Heathrow from Dulles and will fly from Heathrow to Copenhagen same day, all on British Airways. Will we have to exit and go back through security at Heathrow or will we just stay in the same terminal to wait for our Copenhagen flight? We were told our luggage will be checked through to Copenhagen. Planning has been not easy as we could only get to Heathrow on mileage and have had to purchase a ticket to get to Copenhagen. Thanks for any help.

So we have to get screened again but don't go through customs, correct?
You are considered "in transit", so you will not have immigration clearance at LHR. Your luggage will be checked through to CPH where you will first have immigration clearance, then luggage retrieval, then customs clearance (which at CPH is a green lane/red lane process).

Planning has been not easy as we could only get to Heathrow on mileage and have had to purchase a ticket to get to Copenhagen. Thanks for any help.

Make sure your bags are checked right through to CPH when you check-in at Dulles. If you're on two separate tickets you'll need to notify the person checking you in.

OK, thanks, I understand now. This is what I expected although the BA rep told me otherwise. Our ticked from Dulles to Heathrow is 1st class, from Heathrow to Copenhagen is coach, so assume we can use the BA lounge at Heathrow since our overseas ticket is in First. Your opinion?

Our ticked from Dulles to Heathrow is 1st class, from Heathrow to Copenhagen is coach, so assume we can use the BA lounge at Heathrow since our overseas ticket is in First. Your opinion?

You can use the Concorde Room in Terminal 5 just show your incoming boarding pass stub. It's BA's top lounge worldwide, rather nice it is too.

lanceholt, was hoping to send you a private message but doesn't look like you can send them to just anyone, I've added you as a contact.

Thanks, have never used the Concorde Room, just the Terrace lounge which we have found to be excellent, so are looking forward to it. We love the lounge at Dulles, like to have dinner there so that we can go right to sleep on an overnight flight. In all the BA lounges are superior to their in flight service imho.

Don't know what adding as a contact means but ok.

The Concorde Room is rather nice, especially if you like the Dulles lounge which is alright! It's got a proper, waiter served sit down dining area, staffed champagne bar and a good size terrace. Don't forget the Elemis Spa next door if you haven't visited before ;) If you book ahead you can secure a private cabana for a few hours, they have showers, a TV and chaise longue type thing in them. If you're after a few hours kip they work great but if the wife and I use them together they feel a bit cramped...

I see you added me as a contact but was hoping to drop you a private message. Doesn't look like I can do that....was going to say if you're flying tonight on the 292 my wife and I will be in 2A and 3A. Say Hi!

Have a nice trip tonight. We don't take this trip till Sept of 2011, we plan FAR in advance since we fly on mileage always overseas and had a companion coupon to use for this one. My husband and I are flying non BA for the first time in years in May, Air France Dulles to Venice via CDG, so will see how that works out for us.

We are flying into Heathrow from Dulles and will fly from Heathrow to Copenhagen same day, all on British Airways. Will we have to exit and go back through security at Heathrow or will we just stay in the same terminal to wait for our Copenhagen flight?
When you arrive at Heathrow, you're likely to be parked at one of the satellite buildings. (Both satellites should be open by September 2011.) To get to the Concorde Room, you need to follow the signs for Flight Connections Terminal 5, which will take you down into the underground transit system. You take that to the main terminal building (the trip should be a matter of seconds). You will then be routed to the level where immigration and flight connections are. Do not go through immigration; you need the far right hand end of that hall where your London-Copenhagen boarding pass will be scanned and then you will go through and up one more floor to security. (If for some reason you don't have your boarding pass, you can collect one at the transfer desks just before this point.)

After you clear security, turn right and walk to the other (south) end of the building. You will pass Plane Food on your left, and then another security screening area on your right. Directly ahead of you at the very end will be a door, and a member of staff at a podium. This is the (unmarked) direct entrance to the Concorde Room, and this will be the fastest route from North Security (where transfer passengers clear security).

I hope you'll have a good couple of hours to enjoy the facilities there!

• 3 weeks later...
We are also going through LHR next September. From Boston to London, arriving at terminal 3. London to BCN, leaving from terminal 5. Will the above route work for us as well. We are flying Business class.

Same story - follow the signs to Flight Connections, where you'll be put on a bus to T5. Go through carry-on x-ray/metal detection yoga, and you're off into the shopping mall. You'll have access to the BA lounges at T5.

You'll have access to the BA lounges at T5.

More specifically the Galleries Club lounges...as most US carriers don't have multiple "tiers" of lounges, even at hubs (I know you know that ;)). If you only fly within the US having three classes of lounges could be rather baffling!

We are also going through LHR next September. From Boston to London, arriving at terminal 3. London to BCN, leaving from terminal 5.
I suggest that you check this carefully.

At the moment, all British Airways and Iberia flights from London to Barcelona depart from Terminal 3. There are no flights to Barcelona from Terminal 5. I'm not aware of any plans to change this.

But it would make your connection even easier. When you arrive at Heathrow, just follow the signs for Flight Connections Terminal 3. You will stay within the same building. You will be routed through security into the main departures lounge, from which you will be able to find your way to the British Airways Galleries Club lounge (or Galleries First if you have oneworld Emerald frequent flyer status).

I suggest that you check this carefully.

At the moment, all British Airways and Iberia flights from London to Barcelona depart from Terminal 3. There are no flights to Barcelona from Terminal 5. I'm not aware of any plans to change this.

But it would make your connection even easier. When you arrive at Heathrow, just follow the signs for Flight Connections Terminal 3. You will stay within the same building. You will be routed through security into the main departures lounge, from which you will be able to find your way to the British Airways Galleries Club lounge (or Galleries First if you have oneworld Emerald frequent flyer status).

You are correct! Don't know where I got that from. We leave from terminal 3 to BCN. (So, does that mean no lounges?) Do we possibly land at 5, and need to transfer to 3?

On return, to Boston, we go from Terminal 5.

Do we possibly land at 5, and need to transfer to 3?

On return, to Boston, we go from Terminal 5.

Are you flying BA between BOS and LHR in both directions? If so, those flights are at T5.

The BCN flights are at T3.

So if this is what you are doing, you will need to do the inter-terminal transfer both ways, but it is pretty easy.

There are BA lounges in both terminals.

Are you flying BA between BOS and LHR in both directions? If so, those flights are at T5.

The BCN flights are at T3.

So if this is what you are doing, you will need to do the inter-terminal transfer both ways, but it is pretty easy.

There are BA lounges in both terminals.

Yes, that's our itinerary. Thank you for the clarification. We've heard that LHR can be very trying. We have almost 2 hours each way to transfer, so should be ok if all is running on time.

I think it can be overstated. The less experience one has of big airports, the worse it will seem. But an inter-terminal connection at LHR is really no worse than, say, an inter-terminal connection at SYD or JFK.

2 hours should be fine. Your only real risk is if there is a long delay on an inbound flight. But there are plenty of LHR-BCN flights and plenty of LHR-BOS flights, so you shouldn't get any major hassle even if there is a major problem.

At T5, there are three lounges that you are entitled to use (assuming you are not a oneworld Emerald):-

• In the main building, there is a lounge at the north end of the building, on the same level as security. This is best for those departing on domestic flights.
  • In the main building, there is a lounge complex at the south end of the building, accessed from the gate level (one floor down from security). The escalators to get there are just beyond the Caviar House seafood bar. The Galleries Club lounge is then two levels up from that point. If your LHR-BOS flight departs from an A gate, this is what I'd recommend using.
  • There is a lounge in T5B, the satellite building. This is probably the nicest lounge in terms of ambience. If your LHR-BOS flight departs from a B gate, I would go there to use this lounge.

Globaliser is right! We really stressed over a short connection but found it easy. There are plenty of people around to help and lots of signage. Just watch the signs and you will be fine. Enjoy LHR, it really is a fine place.

I think it can be overstated. The less experience one has of big airports, the worse it will seem. But an inter-terminal connection at LHR is really no worse than, say, an inter-terminal connection at SYD or JFK.

Having done all three, I would put LHR at the top of the list, followed by SYD and then, far back, JFK. Super easy compared to many airports, and especially well laid out (purple signs, IIRC).

Most "big airport" anxiety can be relieved by doing a bit of homework beforehand, especially reviewing terminal maps and procedures. In that way, you aren't being thrown in "cold", but rather you have an overview. Don't be in the category of "Well, Mabel....what do we do now?? I don't know where anything is."

Archived